PDA

View Full Version : Precision Shooting magazine

abunaitoo
03-08-2021, 06:17 PM
Anyone read these???
When did they stop printing them????
Seems like they are for really precision shooters.
Don't see many cast boolet articles.

30calflash
03-08-2021, 06:23 PM
They ceased operating about 10 years ago, give a take a couple. I think the publisher retired.

They had some cast articles, not BR oriented. General interest type IIRC.

panhed65
03-08-2021, 07:13 PM
I got rid of a lot of old precision shooting mags last year, only have room for so much stuff. shame they are not around, always some good reads and info in them, learned a few things over the years.
Barry

abunaitoo
03-08-2021, 08:28 PM
It's out of my range of interest, for the most part.
Sometimes something for the non precision reloaders like me.

shooterg
03-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Were great reading . They went out of business 2 months after I renewed for a year so I'm guessing they just weren't making any money . Guy from our club was a regular contributor - he teed me off every time I saw pics of our ranges with no accreditation .

contender1
03-08-2021, 10:18 PM
I have some old special issues,, and while some of it was beyond what I'd do,, there was still a LOT of great reading.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-08-2021, 11:22 PM
It was very good reading, many of the reloading articles were worthwhile, also gunsmithing stuff, while they were Benchrest oriented, other target/long range disciplines, many articles involved leading/bleeding edge technology that showed up years later in the mainstream gun publication - American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo, Guns.... I had a subscription for 10(?)plus years.

Iowa Fox
03-08-2021, 11:52 PM
Anyone read these???
When did they stop printing them????
Seems like they are for really precision shooters.
Don't see many cast boolet articles.

Yep, I started subscribing when it wasn't much more than a few pages stapled together. It was mostly benchrest match results in the beginning. Then a few of the shooters started to write articles and advertise their homemade gadgets. By the mid 90s it was an excellent publication and I'm not sure when it stopped publication.
Merril Martin authored a lot of cast bullet articles and several on the 22 LR. Most of the old guys are gone now.

samari46
03-09-2021, 12:49 AM
I have almost a full bookcase full of Precision Shooting and The Accurate Rifle. I seem to remember that the editor had said it was costing almost as much for printing as they took in subscriptions. However I kind of doubt that. Great cover pictures, gunsmithing articles, single shot articles and both high power and general shooting. Shame it ceased publication. There was talk about it being restarted but that never happened. Even some great cast bullet articles. Frank

Bent Ramrod
03-09-2021, 10:25 AM
It appeared to be basically a one-man operation, by editor/publisher/general factotum Dave Brennan.

Don’t know how he did it, but he was able to get people who normally wrote down nothing more elaborate than score cards or shop calculations to write up the secrets of their success. I would guess it was him that polished their drafts up into readable articles.

It was pretty much benchrest oriented, but accuracy is accuracy, whether it’s barrels, actions, cases or reloading. I have a three-foot shelf of both the publications, learned a lot from them, and was sad to see them end. Apparently Brennan wanted to retire and nobody else was interested in taking over.

A couple articles were all-time classics. One was (I think) benchrest champion Giza Nagy’s article on the percentages of “junk,” ho-hum, competitive and “hummer” barrels that he found coming out of the makers’ shops, and the other was Brennan’s own “Tales of the Houston Warehouse,” where many of the nuances of X-treem benchrest accuracy were worked out.