PDA

View Full Version : New Round Ball Shooter

missionary5155
12-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Good afternoon Down here shooting is expensive, resticted, and few get the opportunity. Today again I took out a pastor of a Church we started some years ago but added a 12 gauge Mossy to our normal battery.
We started with my 1892 44-40 Winny (He is a GOOD shot with it). Next my S&W 357 model 19 (Not so good).
Then we came to the 12 Bore. Rolando has never shot a shotgun. I explained the diferences in recoil and trigger pull. How to hold and what to expect. My Mossy is wearing an 18" Cylinder bore today. We set up a cerial box at 25 yards.
Started him with a 1 ounce Winchester Game load. He popped that off just fine and realized the recoil would not knock him over. These were followed by one 00 Buck Military round. Again I explained this one would recoil abit more. He touched it off and remarked it was not so bad but definatly had a punch to it.
So finally I asked him if he wanted to try a Round ball load. I explained it would be a little bit more than the 00 Buck but not excessive. This is my standard RB load of a Winchester 1 ounce game load with the shot dumped and a .685 RB (hardness similar to WW ) placed in and crimp refolded DOWN on top of the RB. I explained the need to aim this like a rifle (he owns a pellet rifle and shoots that well). My 18" barrel has a front blade and marked receiver to aid aiming. So Rolando took aim and missed the aiming point by one inch at 8 oclock. I congradulated him on the shot as it just is not that easy... anyway he did remark it was a bit more recoil than the 00 buck but wanted to "do that again"...
So today we gained another RB shooter who likes the idea of launching large caliber projectiles capable to SMASHING any known Critter in Peru. [smilie=w:

Heavy lead
12-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Should we say "a convert" BTW, I like the avatar.
Merry Christmas!