PDA

View Full Version : Chamber Vacuum

762 shooter
03-07-2021, 07:52 AM
Any chamber vacuum love out there?

I always wanted one, so I used my son's inheritance and bought a Vacmaster

Talk about fun. I have vac sealed everything you could think of. Flour, meats, rice, powdered milk, French's fried onions, water? etc.

My wife is telling all her friends that if she goes missing that she's probably been vacuumed sealed.

I have started sealing leftovers in double portions in boiling bags for the freezer. When I don't have time to fix something I just throw a bag in some boiling water and presto chango a hot meal. We had some country fried steak with gravy last night. I always have some cooked rice laying around. Spaghetti sauce? fugetaboutit

We butchered two 300 pound domestic hogs last week and guess what? Yep, Vacuum sealed roasts and sausage.

Lay a mason jar on it's side with a ring and lid with something you don't want to crush and it's done.

Machine is pricey but the bags are cheap ( I keep telling myself ).

I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew. (Sumatran coffee)

dale2242
03-07-2021, 08:06 AM
Check the Cookin Recipes thread on vacuum sealers.

Garyshome
03-07-2021, 08:27 AM
We have been using one for years. Everyone should have one!

GhostHawk
03-07-2021, 08:41 AM
I have a neighbor (Saint Peggy) who is living on a super tight budget. She lost her husband to cancer. Apparently neither of them planned for old age. His medical bills wiped out their savings. She is 68, still working 20+ hours a week to get by. On SS, but I don't think she gets more than 800$ a month. Hard to keep a house running on that with all the bills plus food, gas for her car.

So a year ago for Christmas we got her a Nesco vacuum sealer and a big supply of rolls for bags.
Quickly taught her how to run it. Now she buys all her meat on markdown. Brings it home, repackaged for single person, and vacuum seals it and freezes it. Saves her significant amounts of money. Now she's bragging about it, telling all her friends.

She even vacumn sealed a whole fresh homemade apple pie. Cut the bag, put it in the oven. Looks like it did when it went into the freezer. Put it in the oven and you have fall fresh apply pie in January.

Rcmaveric
03-07-2021, 09:14 AM
Any chamber vacuum love out there?

I always wanted one, so I used my son's inheritance and bought a Vacmaster

Lol, can't take the money to heaven and its no fun if the kids spend it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

MrWolf
03-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Those real units are pretty impressive. Saw what Mary uses compared to my lil foodsaver toy. Huge difference.

Mal Paso
03-07-2021, 11:11 AM
I just have a foodsaver but I have all kinds of frozen dinners ready to go. I have a 12 volt food warmer in the truck for hot burritos on the road.

blackthorn
03-07-2021, 01:08 PM
I have a food-savor, and it does a great job. I have found though that I can buy good quality zip-loc bags and if I put chops, steak etc. in them and press all the air I can out, wrap them in butcher paper and freeze, meat is good for several years. I did some Moose steak in zip bags and some in the food-savor in 2016. Just used the last Moose steak from the bags last night. Just as fresh as when I sealed it up. I find the food-savor to be too slow overall as it will heat-up and needs to cool down before I can continue. Zip bags don't do that.

Nueces
03-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Heat sealed or ziplocked, frozen meat with the air squoze out keeps fresh a long time. I use quart size freezer ziplocks for 16 ounce ribeyes and defrost them in hot tap water. Container is a large plastic coffee can. I unzip one corner of the bag and fill the can with enough hot water to just float the meat. It takes 30-40 minutes to reach body temperature, then spends a few minutes dusted with Lawry's seasoned salt, sea salt and black pepper before going in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease. I save the plastic bag for the scraps, since trash pickup is once a week.

Perfectly cooked steak in about an hour from a standing start with frozen meat.

MrWolf
03-07-2021, 02:37 PM
Sorry for the thread drift but try steak in an airfryer. Sounds disgusting but my girlfriend made them, 12 minutes each side from frozen. Best steaks I ever had.

Winger Ed.
03-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Be nice to the kid.

He's probably the one that will pick your nursing home.:bigsmyl2:

We'd sure hate to hear you got parked in a place run by the order of 'The Sisters of no Mercy'

MaryB
03-07-2021, 03:29 PM
After killing 4 Foodsavers in 3 years I went to a chamber sealer. I garden and buy meat in bulk so needed to be able to seal a bunch of bags in a row. Foodsaver would overheat after 6 bags... Just sealed 20 bags of chicken leg quarters(one to a bag, I live alone) without a pause! I should have done this years ago! It is nothing to seal 30-40 bags a session when garden produce starts rolling in.