PDA

View Full Version : Seating die design differences.

BigAlofPa.
03-06-2021, 06:33 PM
I was loading .223 with my Lee dies. I was adjusting the seating depth. And made note how the lee stem has some play in it. My Lyman RCBS And Hornady dies for my other rifle loads do not have the play. The lee die loads are good out to 100 yards. Now that im planing on reaching out further. Should i upgrade?

Binky
03-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Probably not until you try out the loads at longer range. Lee makes stuff that works.

BigAlofPa.
03-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Ok cool. I did adjust die so the seating stem goes in more. The wobble is about gone now.

Taterhead
03-07-2021, 02:26 AM
Good advice from Binky. I've used both Lee and RCBS standard 223 sets. Both work fine.

The thing that really improved my productivity and experience with loading 223 was when I bought the RCBS Gold Medal seater. With the seating window, it means that a bullet can be dropped in. So no more need to carefully set the bullet and to guide those tiny 55 gr bullets up into the die. Drop a bullet into the die and it aligns it concentric with the case. Not only is it convenient, but it makes straight ammo too.

I've owned match seaters from Forster and Redding as well. Also great. If choosing to upgrade seaters for 223 specifically, I'd recommend the RCBS Gold Medal Match (now re-branded as the Match Master). Avoid the RCBS Competition seater. Looks similar. Not the same.

I load 223 progressively and this die improved output by probably a third. I would gladly pay double its price. Did I mention I like it?

ioon44
03-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Yes, up grade to the Hornady.

jetinteriorguy
03-13-2021, 09:04 AM
I was loading .223 with my Lee dies. I was adjusting the seating depth. And made note how the lee stem has some play in it. My Lyman RCBS And Hornady dies for my other rifle loads do not have the play. The lee die loads are good out to 100 yards. Now that im planing on reaching out further. Should i upgrade?
I’d say that depends on how much further you’re talking about. If 300 yds or less I’d just try them as is first, but if you’re talking out to say 600 yds or more you’re getting into a whole other thing than just an upgraded seating die.

GARD72977
03-13-2021, 09:52 AM
All seating dis that have a threaded rod will have some play. With RCBS you tighten the lock nut but this does not ensure the seating stem is centered.

Lee would be my last choice. A seating die like Forster or Redding benchrest works best.

You can load some very accurrate ammo with common equipment. Higher grade equipment helps with consistant results.

onelight
03-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Use what you have until you know you need better . How do your reloaded groups compare with factory load groups out of your rifle .
I have tested ammo at the range that I thought was performing bad and had one of my buddy's shoot them from my gun and found out the problem was me that day and not the ammo :) and I have done the same for them on occasion .

BigAlofPa.
03-13-2021, 11:10 AM
I never shot factory loads from that rifle. I should grab a box. LGS has it for 13.00 a box. I have target pics from when i was zeroing in a new scope. The loads i did with red dot opened up at 100 yards.

onelight
03-13-2021, 11:34 AM
I can't shoot as good with a red dot as I can a scope.
In my opinion for practical use I don't spend a lot of time pushing for accuracy on a platform that exceeds my skill and the ability of the whole package to perform in the way it is used . I use that money and time on a platform where I can see the difference on paper . The difference between a 1/2 inch and a 11/2" group at 100 is a lot . The difference between a 4" and a 5" not so much. Just depends on what you want to do.

BigAlofPa.
03-13-2021, 11:49 AM
I was referring to red dot powder. Sorry for any confusion on that. Next outing im not going to have any caffeine prior to going out. And pay attention to my breathing. And have my son do some grouping shoots. He's more steady. Yesterday we were out. And he put cans at the 100 yard . And was shooting them with his JC Higgens 22. With the irons.

onelight
03-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Having old eyes is a real pain :( I too can tell the difference when I tank up on coffee on range day . It's a tough choice coffee or groups 🤪