PDA

View Full Version : Pewter Salt Shaker With Glass Insert

jonp
03-06-2021, 05:33 PM
Wife was at a flea market today and picked up a couple pieces of pewter. One is a salt shaker that is molded around a glass insert. Should I just melt the pewter off in the pot? Melt the other cup and then throw this in and pull out the glass shaker with tongs?

JimB..
03-06-2021, 05:41 PM
I’d use a saw or chisel to open the bottom and then the side, try to get the glass out in one piece just because I dislike the idea of broken glass in the melt. If you melt it off it will most likely break.

Not a huge issue either way, just my preference.

Martin Luber
03-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Glass floats. Drop it in

GregLaROCHE
03-06-2021, 06:39 PM
If you are adding it to other pewter to make ingots, just throw it in. If you are adding it to pure lead, I think it would be better to remove the glass and weight the pewter to get an idea of what percent alloy you are making. Maybe you want to add more or less.

Winger Ed.
03-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Hit it with a hammer a couple times. The glass will come right out.

imashooter2
03-07-2021, 12:15 AM
The Pewter peels right off. Use a pair of diagonal cutters to start it.

Tripplebeards
03-07-2021, 01:12 AM
Won’t be enough pewter in them to worry about anyways. I don’t buy candlesticks or salt and pepper shakers any more. There will probably be an ounce and half at max between both of them. I have 9 weighted candle stick holders I was trying to get rid of them on Craigslist because I figured they would be worth more $2$/3 each sold all together as a group buy then the price of the tin that would be in them. I won’t buy pewter candle sticks for a nickel. I have bought some cool pewter salt and pepper shakers I kept and used. The ones I’ve melted were less than an ounce combined after melting.

kevin c
03-07-2021, 04:41 AM
I made the mistake of tossing a pewter skinned, wooden cored pepper mill into a pot of pewter, figuring the metal would melt off the wood. I had more pewter get stuck into all the nooks and crannies in the grinder mechanism than melted off the mill.