PDA

View Full Version : Source for Redding Green Paint?

riverdog
03-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Just picked up an old Redding #2 scale that's a bit homely due to loss of paint. Anyone know of a source for original paint?

poppy42
03-06-2021, 12:06 AM
Don’t know whether this will help you or not. A few months back I contacted Lyman about possibly obtaining some of their orange in either pink or powder coat. They told me they don’t sell any of their paint and referred me to a gentleman that they dealt with refurbishing any of their equipment. I spoke to a very nice older gentleman who told me it’s his hobby, he restores all manner of old reloading equipment and when he came to paint he got all his colors of the shelves in Walmart at the spray cans section. He said he was able to match any color he required from any of the manufacturers of older reloading equipment. Not exactly the answer I wanted but it is what it is.

riverdog
03-06-2021, 12:30 AM
That right there is probably the simplest solution. It would be nice to have the original crinkly paint, but for my purposes, should be fine. Next time I'm in town, I'll see what they have in stock.
Thanks for the reply

jimkim
03-07-2021, 08:37 PM
I may have this confused with RCBS paint. I apologize if I do. Take a look at Rust-Oleum safety green(7533). All of my RCBS stuff has a different shade of green, or type of paint. None of it is the same. It gets on my nerves. I thought about powder coating it seafoam green, so it would match.

https://www.warrenpipe.com/product/rust-oleum-high-performance-enamel-spray-safety-green-7533/

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

AZ Pete
03-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Safety Green is the color of US Forest Service trucks, if that helps

riverdog
03-07-2021, 11:12 PM
Jimkim, Thanks for the tip. Redding green isn't always the same shade either. It is about the same color as RCBS. Safety green looks pretty close to me. Next time I go to town, I'll see if it's in stock locally.

I hear what you're saying about the mismatched green. Gets on my nerves too.

riverdog
03-07-2021, 11:13 PM
Safety Green is the color of US Forest Service trucks, if that helps

Thanks AZ Pete. That does help.

Pete44mag
03-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Take it to a paint store and have them color match it on their computer.

Winger Ed.
03-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Spray cans will work.
But if you want something that will better stand up to harsh chemicals and solvents,
you can gave a automotive paint store match it with a catalyzed enamel to spray it on with a real paint gun.
Or, take it to a auto body shop and get/pay them to spray it.

jimkim
03-08-2021, 01:29 AM
Jimkim, Thanks for the tip. Redding green isn't always the same shade either. It is about the same color as RCBS. Safety green looks pretty close to me. Next time I go to town, I'll see if it's in stock locally.

I hear what you're saying about the mismatched green. Gets on my nerves too.I have a 73 JR3 that is pristine. I'm scared to paint it. I'll try to match it, if I paint. I'm also hesitant to paint my 5-10. It has a seafoam blue-grey-green colour. I'm colour blind so I'm not 100% sure on that last one.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
03-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Local Sherwin Williams paint store , you bring them in the color you want and they will match it and mix it . Not sure of the minimum amount of custom color paint they require you to buy ... maybe a quart .
Check with Pressman on painting , I'm sure he's done more than a few in his time and have advice on where to get paint and what kind of paint .
Gary

Pressman
03-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Please, do not check with Pressman on painting presses or other tools. I do not repaint anything as it negatively affects collectable value.
Ken

riverdog
03-11-2021, 06:40 PM
Please, do not check with Pressman on painting presses or other tools. I do not repaint anything as it negatively affects collectable value.
Ken

Thanks Pressman for clarifying that. In this case, it's not a collectable. Just a modern scale that has paint rubbed off on a couple corners.

porthos
03-11-2021, 08:52 PM
pressman is the guru of reloading equiptment. however. i never cared about "collectors value" i have a lot of older guns and reloading eqpt. if it needs it to make it look new it gets refinished. i have 10 or 12 vintage bolt action military rifles. they look like they came out of the wooded crate that they were shipped in with the original type finish.. i also have several older presses from the 1950s and 60s that now look new.