PDA

View Full Version : Ruger # 1 " Semi - Auto "

Ben
12-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I"m certain that I'm not the 1st person to think of this, but when deer hunting with my Ruger # 1 , 308 Win, sometimes a quick back up shot is handy.

Put on with clear silicone, it is bonded REAL WELL, but it can be removed without any damage to the rifle.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0001-35.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0003-24.jpg

Doc Highwall
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I thought of doing something similar, but I was thinking of using a scope ring to attach it to the scope for my Browning 1885 lowwall in 260Remington so as not to screw up the bluing.

Ben
12-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Doc :

Might try a dab of clear silicone on a piece of blued steel ( from your parts bin scrap box 1st ) and see what reaction occurs.

I'm betting it would work OK.

Ben

HeavyMetal
12-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Saw something simalar about 20 years ago, it was a glove with the same pouch arrangement on the back of the hand. It did have a bit more case showing.

The idea was to wear it on the shooting hand and use the weak hand to open and load the rifle. An elastic wrist band can do the same thing if hunting in real hot weather.

Big plus was no worry about if the "glue" was gonna hold or what it might do to the gun.

Harry O
12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
They used to make an elastic device that fit over the butt of a single barrel shotgun that held about 5 cartridges vertically on the right side of the stock. I have one for a 16ga single barrel. I believe that they were made for rifles, too.

Ben
12-26-2008, 12:50 PM
To each his own.......but for me I seem to be able to pick up that quick 2nd round from my location rather than reaching for the butt section of the rifle.

jhrosier
12-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Just a quick reminder, silicone caulk/sealer releases acetic acid as it cures.
Bye, bye bluing.:violin:

Jack

fixit
12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
you might take a note from the break- action rabbit hunters, and carry a round in your forearm hand. with practice, it's not uncommon for one to be able to get two shots off at a rabbit before it's out of range. same concept should work with a drop block rifle!

woody1
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Ben, I like it and being a break action single shot guy, I think yours will work better for a dropping block action than most of the break action methods. Regards, Woody

Ben
12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
jhrosier :

For a blued # 1, maybe there is a better adhesive out there than the clear silicone...? ? ?

Ben

MtGun44
12-26-2008, 04:24 PM
The second shot from my Rem RB 7x57 is very quick if I hold the
extra round in my left hand, protruding on the right side of the stock, just
fwd of the action.

Your design should work well, except I'd want it spaced off the stock
about 1/4" and about 1" of case exposed to grab it quickly.

There are "sensor safe" RTV silicones available that do not give off
corrosive materials like acetic acid, intended for use in auto applications
where you are sealing a sensor from water but cannot stand to have
your sensor corrode up.

Bill

missionary5155
12-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Good afternoon I think this if great. The only poinb to remember is that in extreme COLD those cartriges are exposed to the COLD and may impact different.
But for fast reload this is GOOD !

NickSS
12-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I have used similar ideas but have recently got rid of all of them. now I keep my spare rounds in a belt slide at my waist. When I need a round I pluck it out and load. I seem to be able to get off a second round about as fast as any other except for having a spare round or two in my left hand protruding from my fingers. That is about as fast as you can get by actual experiment. This fall I bagged a nice cow buffalo with one shot from my Sharps 50-70 rifle with one shot but I had to finish it as it was down with a busted sholder but still breathing when I got to it. 450 gr of lead and 70 gr of FFG did the trick.

Tom W.
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I had the front edge of my safety ground down a bit on both of my #1's so it wouldn't catch and impede the ejection of the empties, then got the butt stock carrier for carrying my spare ammo. I just didn't like the way the empty would sometimes hang up.

pietro
12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
I use a small, black elastic wrist cartridge carrier that I bought many years ago.

It expands enough to be slipped around the rib/barrel/forestock, just between the scope ring locations - and holds one cartridge, parallel to the barrel, on each side of the barrel just at the top edge of the forend.

It's starting to show some wear with it's age/use, so I'd like to replace it - but I haven't been able to find any more like it online.

scrapcan
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
pietro,

you can make one by going to a store that sells large elastic banding. you can use a sigle piece and make a loopwith two thickness. Then you sew your cartridge pockets into the elastic banding. Make sure you make it tight enough to stay put, but enough room to get cartridges in.

I too went to a belt slide and found it just as quick for the reload. I found that when you drop the lever your hand is on the way down and it is easy to pluck the next one and send it into the trough in an easy motion. I use dthis for a 22-250 1V and a 25-06 1V. It was cuick enough to varmint hunt or big game followup with the 25-06. I do not have a #1 or roller at the moment, but the belt slide still goes with me.

12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Sportsman's Guide sold a velcro secured band that holds two rounds and is afixed around the frame / barrel forearm to provide the same type of speedy reload. Wide elastic material of two thicknesses sewn to hold the cartridges inbetween. Ends were velcro and stuck to each other when wrapped around the gun. They work just fine. Also, T/C has a wrist deal of the same concept that holds two cartridges. They work just fine, too.

Gerry N.
01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I've hunted for decades with my.308 Ruger #1. I carry two cartridges between the fingers of my fore end hand. The less "stuff" stuck on my rifle, the better I like it.

In the long ago I had a Rem RB someone had screwed a Springfield 2-groove barrel into, chambered to .30-40 Krag then cut the barrel to 18 1/2". That little lovely was a boomer. It had a Lyman reciever sight and an '03 Springfield front.

I had to sell it to pay rent after I got married in the Summer of '68. She wouldn't be reasonable and live in the back of our '61 Valiant station wagon until payday. She made it up by getting me thw #1 for Christmas that year. (It has a 3 digit serial number.) Still have 'em both.

Gerry N

Bullshop
01-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Way back in the days when fur price was high and I was hunting the winters away chaseing coyotes. I had a most splendid experiance one day when I called in a group of coyotes. My fur gun was a B 78 Browning 6mm rem. I carried ammo in a flat 9 shot wallet pack. This particular stand was on a mound that had a 360° field of fire for 300 meters. I saw the group respon to my call from nearly half a mile so I had time to get ready. When they reached the base of the mound about 50 yards I lost sight of them until they begas to pop up right in front of me. When the third head popped up I shot from sitting then stood and reloaded and fired until the remaining dogs were out of sight.
When the excitment was over I found I had shot 5 coyotes. Yup 5 coyotes with a single shot rifle. Now when I listen to someone with lots of experiance tell me how slow a single shot is to get reloaded I can only smile politely and nod.
BIC/BS

Harnic
01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I hunted with my first #1 (I did it up in 7mm-08) for about 15 years & never found the need for a fast second shot. It was so accurate everything I shot was dead before it hit the ground. I did carry a second round between my fingers of my left hand when sneaking in for a better shot on an intended target, but never needed it. I think a contraption like this means you picked the wrong gun & should be carrying a rifle with a magazine.

Ben
01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Harnic:

Thanks for those kind words...........

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
+1 on learning from the old rabbit hunters. I remember vividly the time I offered to let an old man (to me at the time) borrow my pump shotgun, because the cover was so thick that there was no way he was going to get more than one shot off. He just smiled, patted me on the head, and then commence to give me a lesson in how fast a man who knew how to handle a gun could shoot. I don't think I hit a single rabbit that day. Mister Brown on the other hand killed every one he saw. I don't know how he did either, he seemed to busy laughing at me. I miss that old man.

Fixit - Thanks for reminding of that.

Regards,
Everett

Ben
01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Those old fellows knew a lot more than more of us were willing to give them credit for........

Bret4207
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
+1 on learning from the old rabbit hunters. I remember vividly the time I offered to let an old man (to me at the time) borrow my pump shotgun, because the cover was so thick that there was no way he was going to get more than one shot off. He just smiled, patted me on the head, and then commence to give me a lesson in how fast a man who knew how to handle a gun could shoot. I don't think I hit a single rabbit that day. Mister Brown on the other hand killed every one he saw. I don't know how he did either, he seemed to busy laughing at me. I miss that old man.

Fixit - Thanks for reminding of that.

Regards,
Everett

Had a similar experience when I was very young watching my Dad and his friends. One old man had an ancient shotgun I later determined was an Iver Johnson Champion, 16 ga I believe. He broke doubles on the trap range with that old single barrel!!! I was duly impressed and will someday find an nice IJ in his honor.

MaxHeadSpace
02-02-2009, 12:37 AM
The whole concept behind a Ruger No. 1 is "one shot" . . .

Ben
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Makes you wonder why anyone would even want a 2nd cartridge in their pocket ?