PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 Question.............

Herb in Pa
01-01-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm considering purchasing 7.62X39 Bolt gun for cas boolits........any recommendations?? I can find info on the Ruger and CZ but no others. I could rebarrel a 700 ADL that's in the safe, but it probably would be better to sell it as is......223 cal in a bedded synthetic stock and purchase a new one.

StarMetal
01-01-2006, 04:08 PM
CZ hands down for my choice.

Joe

Shepherd2
01-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Get the CZ and you won't be sorry.

Herb in Pa
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Im leaning that way, the Rugers are few and far between and according to an article I was reading the bore diameter of the CZ's is .308.

C1PNR
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
When I started thinking about a bolt 7.62 x 39, I thought long and hard about buying a CZ. Never gave the Ruger a thought. Not that I don't like Rugers.;-)

I ended up buying a Mauser barreled action. I'll put a synthetic stock on it and a 22" barrel in .308 diameter.

You didn't mention what type of sights, but I'm planning on using a Lyman receiver sight, at least to start. I'll have the receiver D&T for scope mounts to add later, which means a cut and weld on the bolt handle, too.

About the only thing not settled yet is the trigger, and whether to use the military or opt for an after market.

I know for total cost I should have done as you are. Also would have me shooting the rifle a lot sooner as well.

BruceB
01-01-2006, 11:11 PM
I was very fortunate to find my "Davidsons'" Ruger M77 7.62x39 in the hands of a co-worker, and that I had a .45 revolver he just HAD to have.

The rifle was in like-new condition when it came home with me (fired maybe 100 rounds, if that) and it now has well-over 1000 cast boolits down the tube.

Originally, I did a trigger job on the factory trigger following instructions I found on the Internet. This worked very well, didn't take much time, and brought the pull down to about 3 lbs....MUCH better than as-issued. I then found a Timney for it in the showcase of a Winnemucca (small town!) hardware store. Seems someone special-ordered it but never picked it up. So for about sixty bucks extra, I now have a REALLY nice trigger, adjusted to about a pound or so. If using it in the field, I'd bump that pull weight at least another pound, but it's sure nice for bench shooting.

The GROOVE diameter is .3105" and most of my CB loads have involved boolits sized at .311". I've had some excellent results and (of course) some "others". The rifle has a 3-9x silver Leupold scope, so I'm seeing the targets quite well.

Bullets have ranged from the the Lee 130 to the 210-220 grain range with 311299 and 311284. I believe that only 5000 rifles were made for the Davidsons' contract, so the rifles are hard to find. I'm very glad that mine almost fell into my hands. Being as light as it is, control on the bench needs careful attention, but apart from that it's great.

JDL
01-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Im leaning that way, the Rugers are few and far between and according to an article I was reading the bore diameter of the CZ's is .308.

The bore on my CZ runs .311" IIRC. I had Dan make a mold that drops at .313", weighs 165 grains, and shoots very well for a little carbine. -JDL

Frank46
01-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Herb, I have a buddy that has the ruger in 7.62x39. I was at a local gun show and saw a used ruger for sale. Well after leaving the show went to shoot. My buddy asks if I saw any rugers in 7.62x39. Well by now you can guess what happened. One pickup screaming out the gates. About 45 minutes later he he comes with the ruger. Had that plastic stock on it. A quick cleanup and the bore was pristine. He had bought some lapua boxer primed ammo and spent the rest of the day sighting it in and shooting it. Was very happy. But me, well i'm kinda old fashioned. I'd take the CZ any day. I like blued steel and wood. Frank

Bass Ackward
01-03-2006, 07:30 AM
One more factory option to look at is Charles Daly who is importing them from Eurpoe. They are very nicely built and good triggers too. I don't have experience with the throat configurations though.

Herb in Pa
01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Charles Daly's. I was poking around on the internet at Davidson's website, it appears that they have none in stock at this time. Any field reports on these rifles??

Bass Ackward
01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Charles Daly's. I was poking around on the internet at Davidson's website, it appears that they have none in stock at this time. Any field reports on these rifles??

Herb,

Go to the Charles Daly WEB site and send them an email. See what they say.

Herb in Pa
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I stopped by a friend's shop and looked at one of the Charles Daly 22 rimfires and was suitably impressed with the fit and finish. He's currently trying to locate a 7.62x39 for me.

Bass Ackward
01-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Herb,

Yes, the fit and finish on the one I saw was impressive as well. Rate it right up there. But I never shot it. This answers so many questions. I am in the process of locating some actions for my own use in the future. The smaller actions appear real neat.

fatnhappy
01-04-2006, 11:36 PM

http://www.charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/rifles/barreledActions/mauserBarreled.asp

Here's the link. I've been watching the website in case they put together a 6.8 SPC barreled action. I've thought long and hard about the 7.62x39 and might just get one of those instead.

StarMetal
01-04-2006, 11:58 PM
fatnhappy,

I would think there are more moulds available for the 30 caliber 7.62x39 then there are for the 6.8 which is a 270 caliber.

Joe

fatnhappy
01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks Joe,

Blasphemy ahead,
but I'm not necessarily looking at it for cast.

Dean

StarMetal
01-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Dean,

OH...okay great. Then don't waste your money on either and get the 6.5 Grendel. The Grendal really dusts the 6.8's doors. THE only REASON the 6.8 is popular is big ass Remington is behind it. It's just an obsolete 30 Remington necked down to 270. The 6.5 Grendel is all new and designed by Lapua and it's basically a benchrest cartrige base. Shoot flatter and farther with more retained velocity and energy then the 6.8.

Joe

Herb in Pa
01-06-2006, 08:33 PM
It would seem that the 7.62x39 in a Charles Daly is the holy grail of rifles. I contacted the importer/distributor KBI today and was told that the last lot of these rifles went to Jerry's in October with no known next shipment date from Yugoslavia.

Jumptrap
01-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Herb, et al.,

I bought a Ruger featherweight from Davidsons a few years ago before they blackballed me. I never was a fan of Ruger 77's...until this rifle came in roost here. I have no experience with the 'bad barrel' years of Ruger and I can say this sole 77 in 762x39 is a hell of fine little rifle. It shoots great, handles well and is like carrying a BB gun. My rifle is stainless with a Tupperware handle. I first thought I would hate the stock, but soon fell in love with it. This rifle is like a Stanley hammer. Nothing to hurt, don't worry about it rusting on a wet day afield and it will deliver 1" to 1.5" groups all day long. Funny thing...I have never slugged the bore, but did the throat. The throat slugs right on .311, but it seems to me I read elsewhere the tube goes close to .308..the throat will swallow fat mil-surp ammo but the barrel will also use .308 bullets. Now, whether that is true or not, I cannot say....but I don't care. I use .311 cast bullets in it and Winchester bulk .310 125 grain softpoints. I did replace the stock trigger with a Timney...which I wholeheartedly recommend to anybody who owns one of these rifles. Out of 5 stars, the little Ruger gets 4.

As for Charles Daly; i bought a new .22 magnum CD last year. I initially had a feeding problem which proved to be a bad magazine. The trigger is capable of fine adjustment and the gun has proven to be a tack driver. They use good walnut and all steel construction throughout. The blue is quite good and the machining is better than average. i chose the daly over a CZ because of the $125 difference in wholesale cost.....I think it was a good investment.

Herb in Pa
01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I located and purchased one of the Ruger's NIB for $418! I'm happy...now if it shoots as well as "frankenstein" with the cartgidge adapter!