PDA

View Full Version : Texting

abunaitoo
03-03-2021, 04:38 PM
I don't text.
Don't even know how.
But most people these days use only text.
Is there a way to text, for free, using a computer?????

Dunross
03-03-2021, 05:30 PM
If you're willing to use Google:
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB

Microsoft's way:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mysms-text-from-computer-messaging/9wzdncrfhwdc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

How to Send SMS From Your Computer
https://simpletexting.com/how-to-text-from-your-computer/

6 Ways to Send an SMS Text Message From Your Computer
https://snapdesk.app/text-from-computer/

If none of those do it for you then a Google search on "texting from a computer" will bring up still more.

I didn't think I'd have any use for texting until I got a smart phone that made it possible. Now it's the primary way I communicate with family and friends by far. Texts can wait until I have time to read them whereas a voice call must be answered right then or hope they leave a voicemail.

metricmonkeywrench
03-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Texts are my primary means of communication anymore, i generally do not have immediate access to all my different e-mail accounts (work, home and disposable play) and cant always immediately pick up the phone to chat, which often times anymore I'm the third wheel in a conversation between the caller and someone next to them making me wonder why they called in the first place.

abunaitoo
03-03-2021, 09:34 PM
Thanks

David2011
03-04-2021, 02:18 AM
Or a DuckDuckGo search. They don’t data mine and sell your information like Google does.

Murphy
03-04-2021, 03:40 PM
I use texting when I have to. Aside from that, I have little use for it.

Murphy

Brassmonkey
03-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Thing I like about texting for me is it's not expected to respond immediately, calling puts some folks on the spot, and a text can summon then provided time a call can be made.

Cast_outlaw
03-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Well most phone service providers have that on there website but if you get a smart phone and tablet your computer will probably start collecting dust I have two laptops and can’t remember when I last used one

Bull-Moose
03-04-2021, 04:07 PM
Google Voice works well for me.

JoeJames
03-04-2021, 05:06 PM
I have a $25 go phone which will receive text after a fashion. Cannot send text. I am a dinosaur I reckon. Not a'saying I am smug about it, but I really prefer talking to folks, rather than typing stuff on a little bitty phone that is way too small for my fingers.

AZ Pete
03-04-2021, 05:09 PM
I began to text a couple of years ago. It has been the only reliable way to communicate with my grandchildren...

parson48
03-04-2021, 05:32 PM
I just got a smart phone a few months back. I don't mind texting, for the most part- but after 53 years of marriage I still love to hear the wife's voice.

Dusty Bannister
03-04-2021, 07:11 PM
I got a smart phone so the g'kids would text me. Not happening. I do like the text feature so I can quickly take a photo, and text a short note to someone with a question. Getting tied up for an hour going cross eyed on the small screen and auto complete drives me nuts. Just call me, talk and get it done. Yes, I am old and cranky, but I still have other things to do.

Half Dog
03-04-2021, 07:55 PM
A person can send texts on an Apple computer. My mother can’t hear so we send texts.

megasupermagnum
03-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Yes, the original texting is called email. Most are free. :bigsmyl2:

Jtarm
03-04-2021, 08:58 PM
Yes, the original texting is called email. Most are free. :bigsmyl2:

I thought it was passing notes?

Wayne Smith
03-06-2021, 10:00 AM
I have to use a stylus to text, my fingers are too fat for that little keyboard. But I learned to do it (painfully) since I had to contact all my clients when the company closed abruptly and abandoned all of us. I got a lot of practice.

rbuck351
03-06-2021, 10:51 AM
I don't text because I don't want to and on my flip phone it looks like it would be a real pita. I rarely email unless in response to an email. The Phone works just fine and if who ever is calling or I can't leave a message then it wasn't important.