PDA

View Full Version : Brownells ROSIN (anyone use it)

8shot
03-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Have a very old full container of Brownells Rosin...went to their web site and they don't have it listed. The instructions on back read - get the lead up to casting temperature, sprinkle some rosin on the lead and the impurities will float to the top for removal.

Can't locate any info on Brownells Rosin, Brownells Flux is noted.

Anyone familiar using the "rosin" version?

Thanks

muskeg13
03-03-2021, 06:23 PM
I still have and use the large tubs of Marvelux and rosin that I got from Brownell's more than 25 years ago. While I have used rosin a few times to flux alloy, I prefer Marvelux due to it producing almost no smoke or smell. From what I remember, the rosin smoked a little, but did a fine job as flux. Be careful, I believe powdered rosin is flammable and will flash if exposed to open flame when sprinkling over hot alloy if a flame is present I also have self-fluxing solder rolls labeled rosin-core. The reason I have Brownell's rosin on hand is as a gripping agent. You often need to apply a little powdered rosin to the hardwood blocks used in a barrel vise to keep them from slipping when trying to remove a stubborn barrel. I've also used the powdered rosin for other non-gun work in the garage when I had trouble with the work slipping. There are lots of uses for rosin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin

8shot
03-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Thanks muskeg13...I used it probably 30 years ago casting...but couldn't remember how I used it. About to start casting once again....

gwpercle
03-03-2021, 06:39 PM
Rosin is soldering flux and solder is lead/tin ... so if you add & stir some of the powdered rosin into a lead tin melt then it will act as a flux . I've never used the Brownell's powdered rosin in a pot but I have used powdered rosin when soldering ... I took a metal shop class in College of all things and soldering things was taught ... passed the course too !

Do like the instructions say but I would stir it into the melt ... should work fine .
I bought a jar of Brownell's Marvelux flux , it works and turns out to be a life time supply .
Gary

mehavey
03-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Rosin = Resin .. . same stuff as as you use for soldering
Effectively a reducing agent

Now that you bring it up, I'm going get/try this stuff in place my usual chunk of 50/50 beeswax/ALOX
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-24000-Brazing-8-Ounce/dp/B005TGMHUQ

That said, "sprinkling it on the surface" isn't going cause impurities to rise to the surface.
Like any flux in that mode, you'd have to "glomp"/stir it into the depths of melt to clean things up into dross to scrape off the surface.

* "glomp" is the sound of a lead ladle...

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0711/06/rcbs-lead-ladle-dipper-bullet-casting_1_7871370fc392979d87ad8e6e7f76f4ab.jpg

going upside-down to the bottom of a lead pot

Mk42gunner
03-04-2021, 12:27 AM
I've got a can of it, never used it for fluxing, but it should work. I got for use with a barrel vice, but normally use it to help prevent scope slippage in side of rings.

Robert

stubshaft
03-04-2021, 02:26 AM
I've got a can of it, never used it for fluxing, but it should work. I got for use with a barrel vice, but normally use it to help prevent scope slippage in side of rings.

Robert

That is what I bought it for too, but it does make good flux.

LynC2
03-04-2021, 07:27 AM

Robert

Same here for barrel clamping. it sure doesn't require much as my container is almost full after 30+ years.

waksupi
03-04-2021, 12:48 PM
You can get rosin at any sporting goods store that sells baseball or gymnastics equipment. I mostly use it to powder the leather jaws in my vises. I store it in an old sock hanging by a string under the work bench, and it will sift through the material nicely.