PDA

View Full Version : HiLift Jack

Mal Paso
03-03-2021, 12:56 PM
I bought my first one almost 50 years ago for my first 4X4. I got other peoples trucks back on the road, changed tires, lifted buildings and a bunch of other things. I lost it in a fire. I couldn't think of anything else for a job I had so I went looking for a new one. They are still around and still a bargain. I found an All Cast 5 foot tall one on Amazon for $99 Delivered Including Tax! This is for a 7,000 Pound Made In The USA Jack.

I used it yesterday, smooth as silk. We still make good stuff here!

The chinese copy is $20 cheaper, 18 inches shorter and not much of a bargain.

Tatume
03-03-2021, 01:02 PM
I have one also, but I'm not too pleased with it. It is finicky and hard to get to work right. Made in the USA, brand name jack, but still not first rate. Probably could be fixed, but it's too heavy to send back for repair.

Ickisrulz
03-03-2021, 01:32 PM
I like mine and find that when you need it, there is usually no other option. I agree that sometimes it's a bit finicky.

MUSTANG
03-03-2021, 01:34 PM
+1 one on this jack. Not for every application - but highly useful.

merlin101
03-03-2021, 03:20 PM
Used them many times and learned long ago to stay away from the china copies! They seem to work ok and then all of a sudden they bend and collapse! Of course it's always with a heavy load and no other jack in sight.

onelight
03-03-2021, 04:45 PM
They are so handy to have around for a lot of tasks .

Froogal
03-03-2021, 06:04 PM
I have one also, but I'm not too pleased with it. It is finicky and hard to get to work right. Made in the USA, brand name jack, but still not first rate. Probably could be fixed, but it's too heavy to send back for repair.

OIL. Lots and lots of it. Apply liberally to ALL of the moving parts.

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2021, 06:45 PM
The Hi Lift jack is one of those basic tools that hasn't been replaced because nothing else can replace it.
I've always considered them to be better as a winch than a jack.
As a person that has a lot of experience with the old bumper jacks, I've always had a lot of respect for Hi-Lift jacks. It will get the job done but it will also hurt you if you don't know what you're doing.

rancher1913
03-03-2021, 09:28 PM
grandfather called them "widow maker" jacks on account of how the handle could do some serious damage if you did not watch it.

skeettx
03-03-2021, 09:38 PM
I like mine and they work great, as long as you follow the safety protocols
Mike

Texas by God
03-03-2021, 09:40 PM
We always called them tractor jacks. Back when cars and pickups had real bumpers, they worked pretty good there, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

CIC
03-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Love my hi lift. I used mine several times but the most memorable was to spread my truck frame apart to replace the rear crossmember that rusted out. I replaced the top clamp on mine with an after market replacement. It has a higher capacity than original and a slot to facilitate winching. I would not be without mine.

Butzbach
03-03-2021, 10:34 PM
Bought my first one this year and I'm 63! My Telescoping flagpole was stuck tight in its PVC sleeve by sand that had migrated in there over the 7 years it was in place. Well we moved so the FP had to come with us. Used a small length of chain to cinch it and pulled it out slicker 'n snot with the high lift. Not certain where mine was made. I bought it at Tractor supply.

joe leadslinger
03-03-2021, 10:44 PM
I bought mine 35 years ago, and I don't lend it out. Still works great, made in the USA of course.

Land Owner
03-04-2021, 09:05 AM
This is appropriate to this thread...

https://i.postimg.cc/fbZxRKBK/0008a.jpg

MrWolf
03-04-2021, 09:48 AM
I bought my first one almost 50 years ago for my first 4X4. I got other peoples trucks back on the road, changed tires, lifted buildings and a bunch of other things. I lost it in a fire. I couldn't think of anything else for a job I had so I went looking for a new one. They are still around and still a bargain. I found an All Cast 5 foot tall one on Amazon for $99 Delivered Including Tax! This is for a 7,000 Pound Made In The USA Jack.

I used it yesterday, smooth as silk. We still make good stuff here!

The chinese copy is $20 cheaper, 18 inches shorter and not much of a bargain.

Do you have a name or link to the one you liked? Rather have one that someone has actually used. Thanks.
Ron

hoodat
03-04-2021, 10:05 AM
In the world that I grew up in, the ownership of a high-lift, or Handyman jack was evidence that you intended to become a full-on man someday. Without one, you were just another one of those guys who couldn't get himself out of a fix. jd

FLINTNFIRE
03-04-2021, 03:11 PM
Was at a Toyota dealership a few months ago and they had a tricked out Toyota 4x4 brand new with a rack and a hi-lift , I laughed as at the price only a fool was taking that rig anywhere where it would be needed All for show was all it was look at my $40,000 dollar ego trip.

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2021, 07:02 PM
I have been 4 wheeling for about 30 years now. I have had one of those jacks for about 30 years now. It sits in my garage in case I really really need it. Everytime I touch it it tries to bite me! I haven't touched it in 15 years. I'm afraid of it.

I also have several Warn Winches. The one for my Yellow Jeep has been used exactly twice in 25 years. Once to pull down a tree in my front yard down and once to move a big rock in my front yard.

I have been on just about every tough trail in the Western US. No one in my club has ever used a winch on a trail, and the closest we ever got was winching a Jeep with a Busted Knuckle onto it's trailer. The winch was on the trailer. Properly set up Jeeps with Locking Diffs and big tires don't get stuck unless there is serious mud or you think it will go places that are Physically Impossible to navigate !

I get a kick out of the guys who have big roof racks with all kinds of recovery gear attached to them on their Jeeps while they drive around town. It is of absolutely no use whatsoever in town and only kills your gas mileage. Plus that your nice and very expensive equipment Rots and is killed by the sun. Leave it in the garage until you actually go 4 Wheeling,,, it will last longer. I especially like the ones mounted to the cowling in front of the windshield where it will get every bit of dirt and debris that comes over the hood packed into it. And since they will never use it, it will probably will be rusted solid long before they need it. Garage?

My new Jeep Scrambler is approaching completion, and it's only taken 16 years to go from Concept in my head to a drawing to being driven in the real world. All because they wouldn't sell Diesel Powered Jeeps in the US. They make them here and then send them everywhere else in the world,,, Except here!!!! It has one Jeep part on the whole car. the Grill. I built the rest. Just finishing up the Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier.

High Lift jacks are nice to have if you need one. I don't need one very often.

Randy

GregLaROCHE
03-04-2021, 07:31 PM
They’ve served me well in the past, but you need a real bumper.

Gewehr-Guy
03-04-2021, 09:26 PM
I have one so old it used a wooden jack handle, and has an eccentric wire clamp built into the head and top, so you can stretch barb wire. One of the first ones made in the 40's . Can't imagine anyone holding up a 25 pound jack to fix the top wire! Learned when you grab a Hi-Lift, get a can of penetrating oil also, especially if it has been in the dust in the back of the truck

gumbo333
03-04-2021, 10:15 PM
I've had mine 50+ years. Did a can of WD-40 come taped to it? It should have!

tazman
03-04-2021, 10:20 PM
50-60 years ago, my father ran an auto salvage where I helped from time to time.
We had a jack called a Handy Man. That thing was bordering on indestructible.
Quite often, we would lift one whole side of a car or truck off the ground when nothing else could get near it.
When dad sold out his business, he sold the jack.
I have never really needed on since.

gumbo333
03-04-2021, 10:23 PM
PS, the jacks that came with the fence wire stretcher were much smaller, and yellow. Anyway any I've ever seen were.

Thundarstick
03-04-2021, 10:28 PM
Growing up on the farm if someone said, "grab the handyman", you knew what they where talking about! They put muscles on us! We where taught how they worked, and that they'd break your jaw or arm in an instant! Don't need grease! A flat bladed screw driver is used to help the pins walk the rail! I've got a HiLift brand today thats better than anything we used on the farm, but I sure remember them being lighter 40 years ago? I use one nowadays to pull stumps and post, but there just as handy as ever!

45workhorse
03-04-2021, 10:42 PM
This is the one I bought in 1993, have a can of WD-40 handy, otherwise it will bind up and not work. Chock wheels so they can't roll EITHER direction, if jacking a vehicle up. Used as a winch, about three foot at a time. Mounted mine on the outside of my tool box.
https://hi-lift.com/

hoodat
03-04-2021, 11:32 PM
I was nearly killed by mine one night when I was coyote calling all by my self. Got stuck but not too bad on a snowy road and decided to chain up. I needed to jack up at least one wheel to get the chain under the tire, and in the process the jack slipped off the bumper and slapped me along side the head and jaw. I woke up maybe a half hour later, nearly froze to death. Crawled into the truck and started it up, and it was completely cooled down. I've never taken a punch like that before or after that episode. I was pretty much a mess, and felt like my neck was nearly broke. Hunting was over for the night, and I wasn't worth much for a week or so. I know if I'd laid there much longer, I'd have froze to death. Don't know how bad the concussion was, but I lived. I decided to get a 4x4 truck after that. jd

Butzbach
03-04-2021, 11:45 PM
I was nearly killed by mine one night when I was coyote calling all by my self. Got stuck but not too bad on a snowy road and decided to chain up. I needed to jack up at least one wheel to get the chain under the tire, and in the process the jack slipped off the bumper and slapped me along side the head and jaw. I woke up maybe a half hour later, nearly froze to death. Crawled into the truck and started it up, and it was completely cooled down. I've never taken a punch like that before or after that episode. I was pretty much a mess, and felt like my neck was nearly broke. Hunting was over for the night, and I wasn't worth much for a week or so. I know if I'd laid there much longer, I'd have froze to death. Don't know how bad the concussion was, but I lived. I decided to get a 4x4 truck after that. jd

Yikes!

kenton
03-05-2021, 07:33 AM

That is pretty much my experience with them, minus the KO. I have a buddy that thinks they are the solution to every problem, it drives me nuts.

dverna
03-05-2021, 09:11 AM
We had one when growing up. I wonder how many people I see with them attached to a Jeep know who to use them without getting hurt...they can bite you.

BTW Randy....nice Jeep!!!

I have ridden a lot of two tracks and never needed one but I know my limits. Had a winch on the Ranger and used it once to get a tree moved off a trail.

But there is a reason they are still around. Nothing beats one for the price when you need one.

mongo40
03-05-2021, 09:35 AM
Randy that sure is a nice clean looking CJ 7 you have pictured there! You've obviously put some work into that Rig!!!. As far as highlifts go I've only used them to pull fence post so far but have seen youtube videos of all the different ways they can be utilized.
Hoodat! thats a pretty scary story and you were very lucky as you well know and state that could have ended very badly!!!
Chris Wilson

tdoor4570
03-05-2021, 09:57 AM
I have two of the handyman's 1 with the wood handle and 1 steel picked up both at yard sales when my son took the hi-lift. out here they go cheap around $10.00

Harter66
03-05-2021, 10:26 AM
I can tell you that there are Handmans , Hi-Lifts , and Lift-Alls . Added to those 3 brands there are a host of Farm jacks .
I had 1 Hi-Lift and it was a kicking out , unlocking , face slapping , every horror story ever told about about a ratcheting bumper jack delight . I ended up with a 12" plate on the foot and 1/4" bolts sticking out about about a 1/2" to stop the sink and slide . It had a stamped body . NEVER AGAIN !

I can't find a brand on the one I have now but it is a gift to even the concept . It has a scalloped "hand" on the cast body mark MS-37 and a 1-1/4 welded steel handle . I've lubed it in nothing but silicone or teflon for the 30yr if had it . It ride in whatever I'm driving . It's changed 100s of tires on big trucks , little cars , trailers and a couple times I'm pretty closer to 9k than it's rated 7k lbs .

Winch duty it's done a bunch too not so much with 4x but I've spent more of my life knocking around the boonies in a $500 2xs than 4xs more often than not street tires vs AT . I loaded a bunch of 12-16' 18-24" logs last spring with it and have pulled a few T posts with it . It's a better jack than the one Dad left , a cast Lift All .

I've used all 4' of the lift rail more thank care to admit for getting a truck in stuck . There was this time when a wash bank collapsed and left my 2x Explorer hanging on about a 6' drop off by the left rear wheel and the shock mount and the right front . Both were stuffed about as far up as they would go and the left front was not on the ground . With the bumper corner up at the top of the jack and some creative rock stacking I was able to drive it out . I don't care to much for 40° tilt . The jack has fallen over a few times but usually on cue jacking a truck out of a hole in sand or suck mud slop .

Handle slap unloaded slides it all the way down the jerk and drop handle brings it up to bumper hight and locks it in . The pins are still 95% sharp and square but the 5/16 pin holes in the handle are closer to 3/8 these days . The lift rail is on its last flip/reverse for wear as about 60% of the holes are peened more round than the original oval on 3 side sides . It was second hand to me without a lable but I expect it's a genuine Handy Man . I won't be without one even if the vehicle requires a soft strap and a frame tie down adaptor to use it .

My best advise , regardless of brand don't buy the stamped version . If you're more likely to use it like a winch than a jack buy the 5' version . Get one with a dog ear on top stamped is as good cast maybe better really . Buy 4 good screw type 3/8 chain links , a 3/8 chain hook , a similar sized tow hook , and at least 1 2000# 2" ratchet strap with hooks not hands . Leave at least one chain link on the bottom of the lift hand , 2 with the hooks attached is even better . Get the cast one with the foot closer to 6" square and semi pyrimidal . You can oil them if you want but keep the wet stuff off of mine please .

Gewehr-Guy
03-05-2021, 01:59 PM
I used to find them in the junk yard in various states of disrepair, and I'd take them home and fix them. Mostly bent, and broken cross pins and missing springs. Like Harter said, you can reverse the rail, to get a fresh hole for the pins to seat into. Parts are kind of high on their website, like the pins, but at least you can still buy them. Most modern companies would tell you it had to be serviced by a factory technician
The company also shows a good video of their use by first responders, using a special model, in doing extrication work on cars.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2021, 03:02 PM
I have been 4 wheeling for about 30 years now. I have had one of those jacks for about 30 years now. It sits in my garage in case I really really need it. Everytime I touch it it tries to bite me! I haven't touched it in 15 years. I'm afraid of it.

I also have several Warn Winches. The one for my Yellow Jeep has been used exactly twice in 25 years. Once to pull down a tree in my front yard down and once to move a big rock in my front yard.

I have been on just about every tough trail in the Western US. No one in my club has ever used a winch on a trail, and the closest we ever got was winching a Jeep with a Busted Knuckle onto it's trailer. The winch was on the trailer. Properly set up Jeeps with Locking Diffs and big tires don't get stuck unless there is serious mud or you think it will go places that are Physically Impossible to navigate !

I get a kick out of the guys who have big roof racks with all kinds of recovery gear attached to them on their Jeeps while they drive around town. It is of absolutely no use whatsoever in town and only kills your gas mileage. Plus that your nice and very expensive equipment Rots and is killed by the sun. Leave it in the garage until you actually go 4 Wheeling,,, it will last longer. I especially like the ones mounted to the cowling in front of the windshield where it will get every bit of dirt and debris that comes over the hood packed into it. And since they will never use it, it will probably will be rusted solid long before they need it. Garage?

My new Jeep Scrambler is approaching completion, and it's only taken 16 years to go from Concept in my head to a drawing to being driven in the real world. All because they wouldn't sell Diesel Powered Jeeps in the US. They make them here and then send them everywhere else in the world,,, Except here!!!! It has one Jeep part on the whole car. the Grill. I built the rest. Just finishing up the Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier.

High Lift jacks are nice to have if you need one. I don't need one very often.

Randy

maybe where you live but i use my wranglers winch proably 3 or 4 times a year up here. Use my high lift jack a couple time a year too. I wouldnt have a jeep without a winch on the front and a high lift jack behind the seat. Theyve saved me REAL LONG walks home many times. For the 500 bucks one cost its silly not to. My jeep has a 2 inch lift and 35s on it. That said id rather have NO lift and skinny stock tires and a winch then a lift and big tires. You have a nice jeep there but you sure can tell its a CA jeep. Even your wheel wells look spotless. By the way those big tires and lift take a much bigger toll on gas milage then a rack with a high lift jack. But then up here if you carried a jack like that it would be a rusted piece of junk in one winter. If you want to see what a winch is for come on up here and ill take you really 4 wheeling. Weve got your rocks and instead of some sand we have mud holes that will swallow a jeep. By the way you can get a diesel in a wrangler 4 door. but you aint going where i go with a 4 door.

kootne
03-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Haven't used one to get unstuck since about 1971. That was when I bought a '52 Willy's 4x4 wagon. But I remember getting bogged down in a wet spot with a friend in his 2wd '66 ford pickup. The Handyman just pushed it's self deeper every jack on the handle. So we scratched our heads for some thing to pad under it with. Tried the spare tire. Worked like a charm. Also, if you are out way on the far side of nowhere and those pins stick and drag, use your dipstick, 1/2 a dozen dips, squeegee the oil onto the pins each time with your fingers and your jack will work like new again.

Cast_outlaw
03-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Dumped this rig in a ditch twice last fall 279050
High lift jack would have been helpful second time but I got a receiver winch for it and made a custom mount after I spent two hours messing around with straps ropes and come alongs at first light on my first day of hunting. I wrecked one come along (cheep cable one) getting out of the first ditch glad I had a backup. Winch got me out of the second one n a few min at last light the last day I was out. But ended up getting two hilift jacks for $80cnd used just discovered the best price I could get at the auto parts store here is $325cnd I’ve since sold that truck and got this one now 279051it’s 14years newer just need to make my front mount fit and lift it and add my jacks 279052

Mal Paso
03-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Do you have a name or link to the one you liked? Rather have one that someone has actually used. Thanks.
Ron

Yes. I bought the All Cast 5 foot tall HL-605 Hi-Lift Jack. I had the 4 foot stamped steel originally. The 5 footer in addition to the extra foot of range offers better leverage when working a vehicle back up onto the road. I'm not sure I like the seller but they had a good price. LOL https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042JJWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

W.R.Buchanan
03-06-2021, 04:43 AM
OK guys first off Its a CJ-8 Scrambler. It was built from scratch. Meaning I built the entire undercarriage, Frame, drive train, axles etc. I bought the Fiberglass body which doesn't rust. Yukon Denali Seats, A/C etc.

It has a Cummins 4BT, TH400, US Gear OD, and Atlas Transfer Case. I made all the adapters. HP Dana 44 front with Airlocker, and HP Dana 60 rear with Airlocker. 4.10 gears 37" Goodyear MTR's All 3/4 ton running gear.

The reason why the wheel wells are so clean is that I painted them white so you could see the dirt and it hasn't been off road yet. Since I built the whole thing, it has been driven on road to work out all the bugs, cuz when you build a car from scratch, there will be bugs. It's getting pretty reliable and after a long trip to see how it does running continuous for several hours it should be ready to tour the Desert. Then who knows where I'll go in it..
It will have one of my Warn 8274's on the front but it will be easily removable so it can live in the garage when not needed. There's plugs on both ends to plug the winch into.

If you are interested you can see the entire build starting with the frame on wheels in 2008 at,,,

https://www.4btswaps.com/threads/heres-the-descrambler.5310/

There are over 1000 posts and many pictures of the entire build. It has been a good project that has kept moving forward for the last 16 years and has been on the road for a year and half,,, 2500 miles so far. That thread has 305,000 views so far and is the longest running thread on that site.

If I lived where there is Mud, it would have 37" Super Swampers on it, and it has enough power to turn them easily and get the wheel wells nice and dirty.

Still haven't seen the Diesel Wrangler they've only been promising them since 1992. They have them in Egypt? Made in Toledo!

Randy

MrWolf
03-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Yes. I bought the All Cast 5 foot tall HL-605 Hi-Lift Jack. I had the 4 foot stamped steel originally. The 5 footer in addition to the extra foot of range offers better leverage when working a vehicle back up onto the road. I'm not sure I like the seller but they had a good price. LOL https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042JJWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you Mal.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-06-2021, 11:18 AM
I've got 3 of them. 2 four-footers and a five-footer, had 3 different 4-wheel drive vehicles that might get into the back country or a rough spot in the 2-3 section (section + square mile) pastures to check cows or hunt elk. Used as jack, winch, come-along, fence-stretcher many times - late 70's early 80's purchase - work just fine, need a little oil now and again.

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2021, 06:54 AM
OK guys first off Its a CJ-8 Scrambler. It was built from scratch. Meaning I built the entire undercarriage, Frame, drive train, axles etc. I bought the Fiberglass body which doesn't rust. Yukon Denali Seats, A/C etc.

It has a Cummins 4BT, TH400, US Gear OD, and Atlas Transfer Case. I made all the adapters. HP Dana 44 front with Airlocker, and HP Dana 60 rear with Airlocker. 4.10 gears 37" Goodyear MTR's All 3/4 ton running gear.

The reason why the wheel wells are so clean is that I painted them white so you could see the dirt and it hasn't been off road yet. Since I built the whole thing, it has been driven on road to work out all the bugs, cuz when you build a car from scratch, there will be bugs. It's getting pretty reliable and after a long trip to see how it does running continuous for several hours it should be ready to tour the Desert. Then who knows where I'll go in it..
It will have one of my Warn 8274's on the front but it will be easily removable so it can live in the garage when not needed. There's plugs on both ends to plug the winch into.

If you are interested you can see the entire build starting with the frame on wheels in 2008 at,,,

There are over 1000 posts and many pictures of the entire build. It has been a good project that has kept moving forward for the last 16 years and has been on the road for a year and half,,, 2500 miles so far. That thread has 305,000 views so far and is the longest running thread on that site.

If I lived where there is Mud, it would have 37" Super Swampers on it, and it has enough power to turn them easily and get the wheel wells nice and dirty.

Still haven't seen the Diesel Wrangler they've only been promising them since 1992. They have them in Egypt? Made in Toledo!

Randy

its a cool build. My son in law is a diesel mechanic and has I think the same motor sitting in his yard. He has a cj5 project that has been going on very slowly for years that its suppose to go in. Love your dash. thats absolutely bad a.

ndnchf
03-14-2021, 07:02 AM
I found this original wooden handle Harrah Handyman last year. I restored it and have it mounted on my 1948 Willys jeep. They can be a little tricky to use for a novice. But once you understand how it works and the proper way to use one, it is a great tool to have.

W.R.Buchanan
03-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Picture of complete Jeep please. I see you have a Hard Top mounted which increases the cool factor Exponentially.

Need to see the whole Jeep so We can see which Hard Top it is. There were several different brands. Hard Tops for early jeeps were some of the coolest things you could do to a Jeep and damn sure made them more useful in the winter. A Heater from JC Whitney was a close second.

Randy

ndnchf
03-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Picture of complete Jeep please. I see you have a Hard Top mounted which increases the cool factor Exponentially.

Need to see the whole Jeep so We can see which Hard Top it is. There were several different brands. Hard Tops for early jeeps were some of the coolest things you could do to a Jeep and damn sure made them more useful in the winter. A Heater from JC Whitney was a close second.

Randy

If you insist :-) it's a Koenig half cab.

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2021, 07:45 PM
THAT'S A JEEP !

I love the half cab.

Greg S
03-14-2021, 09:51 PM
Had an 86 CJ7, wish I would got a 5 when they were available. Broke some stuff on it hubs and driveshafts and started driving Little more conservatively off road. Best thing I ever did was put BFG MTs on it and never got stuck again in red clay. The 2.5" Rancho lift killed the ride though.

Great hunting rig though!

Nueces
03-14-2021, 10:17 PM

Randy

A truly lovely dash, Randy, well, well done.

W.R.Buchanan
03-15-2021, 10:29 PM

Excellent CJ2A. Is that a Warn 8274 under the cover on the front.?

I have a friend who had a Jeep Repair Shop in Santa Barbara CA. He had acquired every attachment for a Jeep known to man. My favorite was a PTO driven 6' Chain Saw that was mounted to the Rear Bumper. With 60 hp behind it it would cut thru a 4' diameter log in less than a minute. He'd rent it out to the city when a big Eucalyptus tree would fall down and block a street. Made short work of the big trees.

Randy

ndnchf
03-16-2021, 04:34 AM
Not a Warn. It's an old school manual Sasgen Derrick winch. Think of it as giant come-along. I found it a couple years ago, restored it and adapted it to the jeep. BTW, the jeep has the original drivetrain and is still 6 volts.

W.R.Buchanan
03-21-2021, 05:07 PM
That is known as an "Arm Strong " Winch. You don't have to worry about running your battery dry with it.

Perfect Period Correct Accessory to your 2A.

I wanted a 3B for a long time, but I had already gotten immersed in my 1960 CJ5 which was completely rebuilt from the ground up. It served me well but I cannibalized the axles out of it for the new Jeep and it has been on stands in my garage for 10+ years now. I need a set of Scout axles for it.

It made JP magazine in 2001 known as the "Mercruiser CJ5" as it had a 181 Mercruiser/Chevy motor in it. T98, D18 and Warn OD. This pic was in street attire. Off road it got 35" Swampers, and the top and windshield came off.

The pre AMC Jeeps were some of the coolest Jeeps. 2A,3A, 3B, CJ5/CJ6.

Randy

ndnchf
03-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Wow - thats a beauty! Maybe it's time for a reincarnation!

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2021, 04:59 AM

very cool

Gewehr-Guy
03-22-2021, 06:24 AM
That 48 blue Willys is way cool, but I have the ugliest Jeep ever made, a FC150. It's resting out in the pasture. It's pretty rough, but I saved it from becoming an I beam in a Chinese hi-rise.

ndnchf
03-22-2021, 07:41 AM
FC's have a face only a mother could love ;) But they have a strong following too. I've seen some that have been very well done. Please don't let that one rot away. If you aren't going to do something with it, sell it to someone who will.

DanishM1Garand
03-22-2021, 07:43 AM
I went to tractor supply and they had a Chinese clone for 99 bucks. I avoid Chinese products if I can and decided to swing by Rural King. 79 bucks for the shorter one that was the genuine article from the USA.

Petrol & Powder
03-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Not a Warn. It's an old school manual Sasgen Derrick winch. Think of it as giant come-along. I found it a couple years ago, restored it and adapted it to the jeep. BTW, the jeep has the original drivetrain and is still 6 volts.

Wow !
It's been a while since I've seen one of those old winches. You did good work restoring that winch.

I see you cheated a little bit with the handle. :razz: By using a big ratchet you overcame the problem of not having enough space to make a complete rotation with the drive handle, good solution. Those winches usually had a big crank with a square drive on one end that you slipped onto whichever shaft you needed it on.
Were you able to find a socket to fit that square end shaft or did you have to make a socket?

If you made a shaft that was long enough to reach beyond the end of the front bumper, you could put a crank on one end. That would allow you the clearance to rotate the crank in a full circle while standing at the end of the bumper.

ndnchf
03-22-2021, 08:31 AM
P&P - yes, the lack of space to use the original crank handles made me go to a large ratchet. I had to custom make the square hole socket, but it works fine. A while back a buddy made a video of us doing a winch demo. It is surprisingly powerful.

https://youtu.be/hKUaP6rJbdo

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2021, 03:20 PM
Very cool video. As far as the FC is concerned they are worth Big Money now as they are fewer and fewer every year. I've got pics of a bunch that have been restored. At least get it indoors before it rots to the ground.

I guess I'm going to have to find axles for mine and get it back running. It will clean up fine, but Scout axles are getting harder to find, axles out of a 71 to 73 CJ would work also. A D30 and D44 would be fine.

Something to do as my other one comes to fruition.

Randy

Sorry Mal,, WE completely "hijacked" your Hi Lift Jack thread. Pretty sure you're a Jeep guy anyway.

Petrol & Powder
03-22-2021, 04:27 PM
Never leave your winch unattended.......:shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXV-p_Ec6Q

ndnchf
03-22-2021, 04:31 PM
Lol - I'll be sure to remember that!

Ickisrulz
03-23-2021, 08:00 AM

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

ndnchf
03-23-2021, 09:14 AM
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Lol - thanks!

Harter66
03-23-2021, 09:35 AM
Took 2 Handy Mans out yesterday and loaded a 22' by 26 tapering to 18 inch oak log on a 16' flat bed .
I didn't take any pictures , I should have .

We picked up the light the light end about 30" and 11' back and backed the trailer under it to the jacks . Cut 9' off reset the 16' trailer , reset the jacks about 7' back , added a log on the ground a pipe on the deck and backed under the stump end .
Then winched both forward for 2-3" of tongue load , threw on 6-7 12-14" logs and drove away in 1 hr 15 minutes . Cordage stacked is a little over 1 full , the fork bulge takes the now 2 piece log to 88 cuft solid and will get us about 28-30 counter/table top slabs of 2×21" at 9' . Guestemated weight about 7,000 lbs for the first lift .

Cast jacks with the j shaped hand . The tip really digs in and holds with the jacks creating a 20° or so tripod .
I loaded a storage container on a flat bed the same way once .

I can't imagine life without one or 2 or 4 .

The 79 Scout had 2× Dana 44s . The Dana 25 , very changed outside , in the Explorers and Rangers is still the same OM axle as the CJs . Altered for use in IFS and as a cross member . My 99 Explorer AWD/4WD weighed the same as the 79' 392 with the 727 auto I swapped in the "tank transmission" later in the Scout . I think the 8.8 FoMoCo would make a good swap with the "big 5 on 5" conversion or redrill/adapter . Just as a suggested alternative to the Scout axle , it also has disc brakes .

Petander
03-24-2021, 08:39 AM
I got a Hi Lift in the late 90's, still going strong.

Char-Gar
03-24-2021, 10:57 AM
The Hi Lift jack is one of those basic tools that hasn't been replaced because nothing else can replace it.
I've always considered them to be better as a winch than a jack.
As a person that has a lot of experience with the old bumper jacks, I've always had a lot of respect for Hi-Lift jacks. It will get the job done but it will also hurt you if you don't know what you're doing.

Quite a few years ago, I did a funeral for a 16 year old who was changing the rear tire on a Jeep. He was standing over it when it "kicked back" shoving his jaw bone into his brain.

ndnchf
03-24-2021, 12:21 PM
Quite a few years ago, I did a funeral for a 16 year old who was changing the rear tire on a Jeep. He was standing over it when it "kicked back" shoving his jaw bone into his brain.

How awful - so sorry to hear this. These jacks can be dangerous in the hands of someone not trained in their proper and safe use. I grew up in the days when cars used bumper jacks that work on the same principle. If not very careful and conscious of it, the jack handle could easily snap back up and hit you in the face. I learned through painful experience. Fortunately today, there are much better instructions, warnings and videos that show how to properly use a hi-lift jack and what to be careful of. Anyone who may use one needs to understand how to properly and safely use one.

Mal Paso
03-25-2021, 01:29 PM

Welcome Back!

That's unfortunate. This points out the forces involved and may save someone else. The ability to judge angles and loads is something that develops over time by doing.

Over the years I've found the scariest, most dangerous jacks were included with the vehicle at the time of sale.

The Hi Lift will do jobs that nothing else will touch. I've recovered trucks when winches wouldn't work.

Petrol & Powder
03-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Having lived through the age of cars with bumper jacks (and real bumpers!) I have a lot of respect for the dangers of a jack.

It is terrible that a 16 year old lost his life to an accident with a jack, but not surprising that it could happen.

I don't fear tools like a Hi-Lift jack but I do have a healthy respect for the damage it can do.

I completely agree that some of the worst jacks you will ever encounter are the ones that come with vehicles. I think that area has actually improved a little bit over the years.

It's interesting that American pick up trucks often came equipped with a vertical screw type jack (often hidden under the hood or behind seats). They were a little more difficult to place but their short length and direct force applied to the axle made them a bit more stable.
European cars had scissor type jacks long before they were common in America.
With the near universal use of unibody construction, a scissor jack driven by a large screw seems to be the norm these days.

Mal Paso
03-25-2021, 08:54 PM
I knew a fellow that lost the use of both of his legs helping a friend under a truck when it fell. All I can say is I have been fortunate. I hope it keeps me aware and I think twice with a jack or chainsaw.

Harter66
03-25-2021, 09:58 PM
VW used a balance point screw jack on a single post in a square socket . It picked the whole side up whether left or right tripod on the 2 wheels and tires on the other side .

Petrol & Powder
03-26-2021, 08:50 AM
VW used a balance point screw jack on a single post in a square socket . It picked the whole side up whether left or right tripod on the 2 wheels and tires on the other side .

Yep. I remember that. It worked great until that jacking point rusted out. After that, not so much :D

Mal Paso
03-26-2021, 04:41 PM
Yep. I remember that. It worked great until that jacking point rusted out. After that, not so much :D

By that time you should have purchased John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" and have purchased scissor jacks to remove the engine so you have it covered when the jack point gets scary.