PDA

View Full Version : Carb cleaner

Thumbcocker
03-03-2021, 09:42 AM
Pulled the carb off an ATV that has sat for 10 years. It is bad. Really bad. The deposits just flip the middle finger to my carb cleaner. Any suggestions on something stronger that won't eat plastic or gaskets?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210303/5f8a1331f0564490271b8506430f8f5e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210303/8834577022fe97066c3e070086aee465.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tai95
03-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Dental picks and elbow grease? I personally would just bite the bullet and buy new one.

Tripplebeards
03-03-2021, 09:48 AM
I’d would put it in a bowl and drown it in carb cleaner. Let it sit for a day and then scrub it.

Froogal
03-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Boil it in water with some detergent added. It will take the "gooey" out of it and leave some dry deposits than can be scraped, or wire brushed off, and then finish up with some aerosol carb and choke cleaner.

The carb cleaner that you can soak it in is a total joke anymore and a complete waste of time. It simply does not work.

rbuck351
03-03-2021, 10:20 AM
I bought a can (about 1 gal size) of carb cleaner from NAPA about a year ago to clean an auto type carb on a boat. It's the same stuff that has been used for many years. It worked very well on my boat carb that had been sitting for several years. It's not cheap, about $30 if IIRC. And I don't know what it will do to plastic. I have found the spray can stuff to not be effective.
I would check amazon for a new carb as they are very cheap for some applications.

high standard 40
03-03-2021, 10:31 AM
At one time I did auto repair and we rebuilt carburetors. We used a product called Gunk Hydroseal which worked very well. I haven't bought any in years and I see that the formulation has changed. I can't say if it still works as good. It's an emersion type cleaner, reusable and not cheap.

high standard 40
03-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Alot of the old ATV carbs brand new are listed on eBay the last I checked for under $50 brand new.

Other folks may have had luck with those cheaper carburetors, but I have not. I put one on my Yamaha and the throttle sometimes sticks and it won't idle properly. My cousin has had similar issues with one that he bought

cheese1566
03-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultrasonic cleaner?

BrutalAB
03-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultrasonic cleaner with carb cleaner in the water. Ive done it for carbs, but none as bad as yours. Id probably use close to 100% cleaner no water.

megasupermagnum
03-03-2021, 11:06 AM
That NAPA carb in a can, and all carb paint can stuff is a joke. Might as well use soapy water. The strongest cleaner on the market today is B12 chemtool. That stuff will melt the skin off your hands. I would soak them in a metal bowl with B12.

pete501
03-03-2021, 11:10 AM
Soak it in Pine-sol. Won't eat plastic and rubber

farmbif
03-03-2021, 11:19 AM
go to your local omc marine dealership and get a can of engine tuner. omc engine tuner.
fil the float bowl and place carb body back on top and let it soak 24 hours. it will eat all that lacquered stuff and not damage any plastic, rubber or metal parts. and if its real stubborn go at it with an old tooth brush and more engine tuner

Mal Paso
03-03-2021, 11:22 AM
B12 is great, no residue but you need the immersion type that comes in a gallon can, cleans off with hot water. Don't get it on your skin, or wash immediately.

osage
03-03-2021, 11:22 AM
I have had good results with Pine-sol and ultrasonic cleaner. Mostly motorcycle carbs but none have been in that shape. I've had decent luck with new carbs on eBay.

megasupermagnum
03-03-2021, 01:08 PM
This is a genuine Mikuni carb I assume. They are worth cleaning. Those no-name ebay carbs are hit or miss at best. Pinesol will not touch that corrosion, which appears to only be on the copper parts. I still stand by B12, but trying vinegar is worth a shot too.

Hossfly
03-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Good idea to wear safety glasses when using carb cleaner, last time i just picked up a can and went after those small holes it hit me right in the face, lesson learned. No matter which way you aim it sprays towards your eyes.

smithnframe
03-03-2021, 03:30 PM
Try Kroil.

poppy42
03-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Boil it in water with some detergent added. It will take the "gooey" out of it and leave some dry deposits than can be scraped, or wire brushed off, and then finish up with some aerosol carb and choke cleaner.

The carb cleaner that you can soak it in is a total joke anymore and a complete waste of time. It simply does not work.
+1 on this suggestion! As far as gaskets I wouldn’t worry about trying to save them you’re gonna need new ones anyway

gwpercle
03-03-2021, 04:07 PM
More Carb Cleaner and intense scrubbing with a Toothbrush ... Oral B brand usually wont melt , but check the new ones . Auto-Parts store may have a better brush for scrubbing but be very careful if you use brass ... they can scratch . Old Toothbrush will not damage and is free around my house ( I save them for this kind of work).
Gary

Scrounge
03-03-2021, 04:16 PM
Pulled the carb off an ATV that has sat for 10 years. It is bad. Really bad. The deposits just flip the middle finger to my carb cleaner. Any suggestions on something stronger that won't eat plastic or gaskets?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Get a bucket of Berryman's B12 Chemtool, and submerge it. Let it soak with the lid on tight for a couple of days, minimum. Do NOT try to reuse the gaskets. If you can't buy a rebuild kit with gaskets, make your own. Then brushes, picks, and elbow grease.

cabezaverde
03-03-2021, 04:59 PM
I have a 5 gallon can of Solvene you could come and get.

Froogal
03-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Get a bucket of Berryman's B12 Chemtool, and submerge it. Let it soak with the lid on tight for a couple of days, minimum. Do NOT try to reuse the gaskets. If you can't buy a rebuild kit with gaskets, make your own. Then brushes, picks, and elbow grease.

I have used that Berryman's B12. It is worthless. Smells and acts like brake fluid. I can remember the "GUNK" brand from many years ago. THAT stuff would take the skin off of your fingers, or at least BURN until you washed it off. "GUNK" is still available, but it sure is not what it used to be, and Berryman's is not even a close imitation.

Texas by God
03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
B12. Eats most plastics, though. And it will reach right through your skin and kill a ringworm.[emoji16] Sensitive skin beware!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Before I spent too much time, effort and money trying to save that carburetor, I would price a replacement.

The carb cleaners that you dip the entire carb in and soak are the only ones that are even worth considering. However, by the time you buy the chemicals, maybe a wire basket, a rebuild kit .....you are probably not ahead of the game if that's the only carb you need to rebuild.

If you're going to rebuild several, then the cost of the chemicals gets spread over more than one carb.

PLUS, don't forget you could put all of that time and money into trying to save that poor carburetor and STILL end up buying another one.

I prefer to rebuild instead of replace but there comes a time to throw in the towel.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Alcohol and a brass brush let it soak over night

jim147
03-03-2021, 07:03 PM
I was an automotive machinist for years. We bought the 30 gallon drums of chemdip. I would take a nasty cylinder head and dip in the hot tank for a few seconds, then rinse with very hot water and then drop in the barrel while still hot overnight. Not the easiest to do for the home mechanic but if you can get a gallon of chemdip then heat the carb in very hot water it will help.

I can run the cast iron carb dry on my preMassey Furgason tractor and still have to take it apart once a year to clean out the rust caused by the crap,gas. I guess I should run to the airport and get 20-30 gallons of no alcohol fuel.

rbuck351
03-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Watch out for the stuff in hot tanks it can totally eat up any thing aluminum. They do make one for aluminum. The stuff I used I believe to be the same stuff as hydro seal. In a gallon can about half is water on top that prevents the stuff in the bottom from evaporating. Anyway the stuff I bought at Napa smells and acts like the old gunk/hydroseal and works like it. Never found anything in a spray can that worked. I would look at a new carb as it may be cheaper than a gal of good soak type carb cleaner. If certain small passages in the carb body are plugged you may not be able to clear them.

panhed65
03-03-2021, 07:45 PM
At one time I did auto repair and we rebuilt carburetors. We used a product called Gunk Hydroseal which worked very well. I haven't bought any in years and I see that the formulation has changed. I can't say if it still works as good. It's an emersion type cleaner, reusable and not cheap.
that hydroseal was really good stuff, had a 5 gal can with a basket in it from the auto parts store back when I used to restore old motorcycles. I think it would clean anything. It would make an old linkert carb look like new. My understanding is that our wonderful government took it away so we idiots would not hurt ourselves.
Barry

Blanket
03-03-2021, 07:46 PM
blast it with baking soda

high standard 40
03-03-2021, 07:53 PM
I found this video on youtube. I can't vouch for it but this guy says it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y23cfaH4hE

beezapilot
03-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Find a marina / small engine shop with an ultrasonic.

Castaway
03-03-2021, 08:07 PM
Ballistol and sonic cleaner

atr
03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
I have repaired and rebuilt a lot of motorcycle and auto carburetors and I found that using an ultra-sonic cleaner was the best way to go. Put it in the cleaning tank with solvent and let the machine work. Blow it out with compressed air. Replace all the gaskets.

rockrat
03-03-2021, 09:35 PM
Been using chemtool b12 for about 50 years. Alcohol, acetone, ether and MEK IIRC. Will strip all the oils off your skin and if you get chiggers, works to kill them (ask me how I know!!!). I wouldn't soak the plastic parts but a can a Chemtool dip might be what your need. B12 chemtool will melt a plastic toothbrush bristles quickly.
I would try and see if you could buy a new carb online first. Did that with a leaf vac, started on the second pull and once adjusted, ran great

jim147
03-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Watch out for the stuff in hot tanks it can totally eat up any thing aluminum. They do make one for aluminum. The stuff I used I believe to be the same stuff as hydro seal. In a gallon can about half is water on top that prevents the stuff in the bottom from evaporating. Anyway the stuff I bought at Napa smells and acts like the old gunk/hydroseal and works like it. Never found anything in a spray can that worked. I would look at a new carb as it may be cheaper than a gal of good soak type carb cleaner. If certain small passages in the carb body are plugged you may not be able to clear them.

True on the hottank. It was lye with a few other things. It was put in with a hook to knock to oil off and preheat it. If you left in longer than a few seconds it turned black and quickly got worse.

Gator 45/70
03-03-2021, 10:31 PM
I use Easy off oven cleaner, Spray it on and let it sit for 10/15 seconds then rinse it off with that carb-cleaner.

Repeat if necessary

FarNorth45
03-05-2021, 03:24 AM
I've been making a living as a mechanic for well over 20years ..... so far the best thing I've found for nasty , stubborn won't clean up and run correctly carbs is a Ultrasonic cleaner !!!! Ive had carbs that looked clean , blew through all jets/passages but still wouldn't run perfect .... Ultrasonic seemed to do the trick 98% of the time !! Its just what works for me !