PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of too much LLA?

Dutchman
03-02-2021, 10:36 PM
I've seen copious reference that if you can "see" LLA after application that you've used too much.

What is the consequence of too much LLA in handgun? In rifle? Reduced accuracy? Excessively dirty gun? What?

Dutch

zarrinvz24
03-02-2021, 10:48 PM
Very sticky reloading dies.

RogerDat
03-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Tumble lube should be so thinly spread that it isn't really visible and the bullet isn't sticky. Too much is wasted is the one thing that happens for sure. It might leave you with a bit of extra cleaning. It has a distinctive smell when burned, if it bothers you it will be stronger with more. Consider that for high velocity rifle rounds lubing by dipping the bullet in the LLA and then letting it drain by setting in the plastic bullet holder from a box of bullets is a known approach to lubing with LLA. That puts enough on the lower part of the bullet that you can see it and leaves a visible band in the lube grooves which will have been filled and only partly drained.

jim147
03-02-2021, 10:51 PM
I don't understand this at all. I have a tan coat of LLA on all my pistol ammo with zero problems.

Winger Ed.
03-02-2021, 10:51 PM
The boolit will fling off what it doesn't want carry down range upon exiting the muzzle.
Getting it there may be a bit of a mess though.

DAVIDMAGNUM
03-03-2021, 09:51 AM
I don't understand this at all. I have a tan coat of LLA on all my pistol ammo with zero problems.

Me too also. A very light coat of White Label Lube XLox/Johnsons Floor Polish mix gives a slight bronze tint to the bullets. They dry completely and are not sticky.

Froogal
03-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Very sticky reloading dies.

Yes. That is the only issue I have experienced. I recommend taking the dies apart when done and cleaning thoroughly.

Outpost75
03-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Using too much LLA is also a waste of money. I dilute mine with equal parts by liquid volume with mineral spirits and use one Chock Full-O-Nuts coffee scoop full in an ammo can to lube 20 pounds of bullets. After each 5 loads you can skip the LLA and just use the mineral spirits and agitate the bullets to use up the residuals from previous loads which have coated the inside of the can.

ShooterAZ
03-03-2021, 10:19 AM
I do the same, dilute LLA 50/50 with mineral spirits. Most of what I use LLA for is low to medium velocity/pressure anyway. You just don't need to coat them very thickly to get good results. Sticky boolits and gummed up dies is the result of too much LLA, although it will still work.

Larry Gibson
03-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Too much LLA results in the lube not drying quickly enough so most size/load too soon resulting in sticky LLA in dies and outside on the case. It also is a waste of money and time.

You should be able to see the LLA when applied correctly as per Lee's instructions. Some dilute it to begin with but I don't because here, in the warmer climate, it is thin enough so I don't need to. When I lived up north in the winter I would put the cold bottle of LLA in hot tap water for 10-15 minutes before use which made it nice and runny for proper application. Older opened bottles that have dried out a bit I put a bit of mineral spirits (doesn't take much) in the LLA to rejuvenate the lube. When applied correctly a light golden hew should be seen on the bullets after they thoroughly dry. depending on the alloy and use some bullets may require 2 or more coats with a thorough drying between coats.

sghart3578
03-03-2021, 10:32 AM
I'm convinced that too much lube leads to fliers. But I can't prove it.

I copied and saved one of Outpost75's previous posts about tumble lubing and I follow that.

I shoot loads up to 1900 fps with minimal amounts of LLA and it works for me.

Steve in N CA

onelight
03-03-2021, 01:48 PM
I do 2 light coats of 45-45-10 letting dry over night between coats not sticky at all .
You can see the color on the bullets.

turtlezx
03-03-2021, 09:18 PM
warm the lube and the boolits gives a nice lite coating

Frank H
03-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Im just starting to us XLOX from white label. From what I understand its the exact same thing as LLA. I add a tiny amount like a few small drops to 10lbs of bullets and shake them until it mixes well. I don't have a problem sizing or firing after that. I have only started casting 30 cal 165 grain ranch dog bullets so there may be something to that but I figured I would share my experience.

Beagle333
03-10-2021, 01:49 PM
I agree that too much means gummy dies. I convert all my LLA to BLL these days and am much happier. :grin:

John Boy
03-10-2021, 03:09 PM
The key to lubing with Alox is to dribble a small amount on the bullets ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STfJ3qCi5tY
I warm the bullets first with a hair dryer and to aid with quicker drying, warm the bullets again after the lube has been applied

Bookworm
03-12-2021, 09:34 AM
1/4 teaspoon LLA (cut 50/50 w mineral spirits), BLL (the one with the Lundmark wax), or 45/45/10 per 2 pounds of boolits.

Tumble, dry, tumble again (another 1/4t), dry, load, shoot.

I have taken this up to 1700fps in rifle(s), never a problem in any revolver up to 44 Mag.

myg30
03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
I've seen copious reference that if you can "see" LLA after application that you've used too much.

What is the consequence of too much LLA in handgun? In rifle? Reduced accuracy? Excessively dirty gun? What?

Dutch

Dutch, I remember reading about lubing lead bullets for the 25-20 where to much tumble lube affected accuracy. No idea about other calibers.

I think the key to tumble lube as mention above is to warm the boolits and the lube. I use several drops in a sandwich baggy, add a handful ~ boolits and move em around till it “ Feels” like they are all slippery, and just seeing a “film of lube” on the bag, not a excess amount of lube moving around.

Good luck, be safe, Mike

Mike
Dump out on wax paper and let dry.

Jim22
03-21-2021, 11:36 AM
The trouble with too much LLA is that your work area stinks worse than if you use just the right amount.

robg
03-21-2021, 11:58 AM
i like the smell myself.to much is better than to little.just right is best.

Krag 1901
03-21-2021, 11:21 PM
When I first started I used too much LLA and the boolets were brown, saw a guy at the range and asked him, he looked at me like I was stupid and said, he just used a few drops. So next time i just added maybe 5-10 drops of unthinned LLA and swirled about and hey, no brown and faster drying. I'm going to try thinning it next. I do two coats too.