PDA

View Full Version : When is a mold worn out?

HVACscott
03-01-2021, 01:05 PM
I have an 8 cavity,115gr, 9mm MP aluminum mold. I have about 8000 bullets or 1000 cycles on it and it is sticking in cavity 3 a lot and cavity 5 sometimes. I did the match thing and it works for about 20 cycles then sticks again. I cast about 1500 bullets each sitting. I’m using WW at 720 degrees.

Is my mold wearing out? Do I need a new one?
Am I casting too many in a sitting?

Thanks
Scott

Burnt Fingers
03-01-2021, 01:21 PM
It's not wearing out.

I've got a 8 cavity MP mold that I've cast over 200 lbs of alloy through it. My typical session is over 1000 boolits.

Is this a conventional mold or a slick sided mold??

Is there lead sticking to the mold??

If "the match thing" is smoking the mold try using a butane lighter. Many matches will deposit wax in the cavity. If smoking the mold stops the sticking then I'd guess you have some lead stuck to the mold.

SSGOldfart
03-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Good question,but I don't think you can wear out a mold.

Conditor22
03-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Good question, but I don't think you can wear out a mold.

At least not the cavities. IF you don't regularly lube the sprue plate pivot screw, the alignment pins, and the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate you could wear out these areas.

NEVER overtighten the sprue plate hinge screw (the sprue plate should swing easily)- that's and not lubing regularly can wear the mold under the sprue plate.

Don't let your mold handles get loose or you could damage your alignment pin holes.

Nuff said the first thing I'd try with your sticky cavities is to rub the edges with a carpenter pencil to remove any possible burs IF that doesn't help you could try lightly polishing the cavities

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238639-Bullets-not-releasing-from-Lee-mold

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/LeementingKitDocumentation.pdf

Ausglock
03-01-2021, 04:05 PM
Get some Loctite SF7900 ceramic anti spatter spray.
Spray the mold cavities and faces. and the top and bottom of the sprue plate.
let dry.
Brush the mold faces, but not the cavities.
Heat the mold on a hotplate until the spray goes from white to a light brown.
Now cast as normal... zero sticking bullets.
the sprue just falls off the sprueplate.

M-Tecs
03-01-2021, 04:48 PM
That mold is not even broke in yet. Use a Q-Tip or magnifying glass to check for burs on the cavity edge. Conditor22's post covered remedies well.

DHDeal
03-01-2021, 08:20 PM
I think what happens more often is one beats a mold to death than it being actually worn out. Not saying you've done that at all, but I've seen some molds that a ham fisted Neanderthal beat with a rock and considered it worn out. I can go Neanderthal occasionally but I stay away from rocks as I'll probably drop it on my foot.

sirgknight
03-03-2021, 08:29 PM
I think what happens more often is one beats a mold to death than it being actually worn out. Not saying you've done that at all, but I've seen some molds that a ham fisted Neanderthal beat with a rock and considered it worn out. I can go Neanderthal occasionally but I stay away from rocks as I'll probably drop it on my foot.

LOL,,,,Sounds familiar.

Winger Ed.
03-03-2021, 08:36 PM
If it isn't rusted real bad, it ain't worn out.

Like Grandma's old cast Iron frying pan-- they just get better and better.

HVACscott
03-03-2021, 08:46 PM
It's not wearing out.

I've got a 8 cavity MP mold that I've cast over 200 lbs of alloy through it. My typical session is over 1000 boolits.

Is this a conventional mold or a slick sided mold??

Is there lead sticking to the mold??..... nothing is staying on the mold and the bullet that comes out is good but i need to smack the mold handles 5+ times to get it to drop

If "the match thing" is smoking the mold try using a butane lighter. Many matches will deposit wax in the cavity. If smoking the mold stops the sticking then I'd guess you have some lead stuck to the mold...... yes match thing is smoking the mold

HVACscott
03-03-2021, 08:50 PM
At least not the cavities. IF you don't regularly lube the sprue plate pivot screw, the alignment pins, and the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate you could wear out these areas.

NEVER overtighten the sprue plate hinge screw (the sprue plate should swing easily)- that's and not lubing regularly can wear the mold under the sprue plate.

Don't let your mold handles get loose or you could damage your alignment pin holes.

Nuff said the first thing I'd try with your sticky cavities is to rub the edges with a carpenter pencil to remove any possible burs IF that doesn't help you could try lightly polishing the cavities

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238639-Bullets-not-releasing-from-Lee-mold

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/LeementingKitDocumentation.pdf

what do you mean rub the edges with a carpenters pencil? do you really mean carpenters pencil? the rectangular pencil or is it a special tool? if a pencil you mean rub the edges with the graphite?

HVACscott
03-03-2021, 08:52 PM
will try this weekend

thanks

HVACscott
03-03-2021, 08:55 PM

I'm using a 1"x1"x15" long piece of white oak the tap/smack the hinge bolt on the handles, sometimes the side of the mold when i hit it 5+ times and still have one hanging up

HVACscott
03-03-2021, 08:56 PM
If it isn't rusted real bad, it ain't worn out.

Like Grandma's old cast Iron frying pan-- they just get better and better.

the mold is aluminum so no rust....YET

Winger Ed.
03-03-2021, 09:16 PM
the mold is aluminum so no rust....YET

If ya don't ding them up, they go and go too.
Sometimes the sprue plate screws get a little ragged out.
At worst, you can drill & re-tap them the next larger size.

Walks
03-03-2021, 09:59 PM
I've seen LOTS of really Old IDEAL molds that actually look like they were beat on with a ball peen hammer or maybe a crowbar. They still cast great bullets.
Then there are the Lee molds that fall apart when you pick them up. Again, some ham-fisted baboon beat them to death.

30+years ago, My Dad and I were getting into Cowboy Shooting. At a GunShow, My Dad bought 3 Lee .44Cal 2cav molds.
The Older Gentleman who sold them to us told me to handle them gently.
I did/do and they have each cast well over 30,000 bullets.

Molds wear out from mistreatment. I have a bunch of old IDEAL molds, some older then me (1954).
Still casting great bullets.