PDA

View Full Version : I'm retired

Thumbcocker
03-01-2021, 10:19 AM
Effective February 28 I retired. A total of 32 years in the public sector. I made it without getting divorced, addicted, censured, disbarred, or having a cardiac event. A lot of folks in this line of work have one or more of those.

Time to enjoy life and time with Mrs. Thumbcocker. Life is good.

375supermag
03-01-2021, 10:21 AM
Hi...
Retired 2-1/2 years ago.
I highly recommend retirement.
Never been happier.

Hdskip
03-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the "group". I'm almost 5 years into it and recommend it heartily. There is defiantly a transition period.

BJK
03-01-2021, 10:34 AM
Congrats!

I retired from work early at 55, been retired now for 13 years. One thing you'll need to get accustomed to is that there is no longer any paid vacation time, and paid holidays are a thing of the past.

If there was stress in your job having that off your shoulders will have delightful consequences. I saw physical ailments disappear, things that you don't associate with stress. I've seen other people who worked at the same terrible company and When I do I ask, "Have the nightmares stopped?". I get the same general response from them all, "How did you know about that!?? I didn't tell anyone!". "Because I worked there too and we're all human."

I started a business a few years back and just today told my webmaster to shut down the site. It was fun for awhile but has become a J O B. I think I'm going to just enjoy full retirement for awhile now.

But back on a lighter note, I'm going to retire again this spring when my snows come off and my summer tires go on.

Blanket
03-01-2021, 10:38 AM
congrats, retired last November

namsag
03-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Congratulations, I am very envious!! My wife and I got started late with kids, I am about to turn 57 and I still have a freshman in high school! I figure about another 10 years and I’ll be done.

beezapilot
03-01-2021, 10:46 AM
The secret to a successful retirement it to learn to pace yourself... Start each day off slow and just taper off from there. I retired 10 years ago, take part time / temp positions from time to time to learn something new, but mostly just enjoy the freedom! Congrats man, yer gonna love it.

Markopolo
03-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Somebody answer me this!!! When do I get to retire from my ultra busy so called Retirement????

ioon44
03-01-2021, 10:55 AM
I retired in 2007 at age 57 and have been busy doing things I like and want to do, I highly recommend retirement.

Hickok
03-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Congratulations!

Been 3 years for me, and I really enjoy it.

Chad5005
03-01-2021, 11:47 AM
congratulations,ive been retired since 07,a lot more time to catch up on those hunny do's now lol

Der Gebirgsjager
03-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Congratulations. Now you can get some stuff done!

DG

FISH4BUGS
03-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Congratulations!
I consider myself semi-retired.
That only means I work 45 hours per week and no more.
Being self-employed I set my own schedule.
Some weeks may be less than 45 hours.
Never any more.
I can see this kind of schedule until I check out.

tigweldit
03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Congratulations! After a short while, you will wonder how you ever had time to work. Luckily, you are involved in the greatest "hobby" ever.

nvbirdman
03-01-2021, 01:08 PM
I retired fourteen years ago and decided I would take a month off and then look for another job. So far it's been a very long month.

robg
03-01-2021, 01:10 PM
retired last may .how i found time to work i just dont know.

1I-Jack
03-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Congratulations. Hoping to do the same in about 10 months.

memtb
03-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Congratulations! I hope you have many years to enjoy it! I worked 23 years longer than planned after high school graduation! But, I finally was able to do it! memtb

BigAlofPa.
03-01-2021, 02:01 PM
Awesome enjoy your new found free time. [smilie=w:

pcolapaddler
03-01-2021, 02:05 PM
Congratulations!

I was in public sector work for 36 years. I began servicing school buses and other vehicles. After dinner additional education, I ended working IT in an elections office.

Good to be on this side of things.

I tinker with some stuff and always have a project waiting on the wings. A ministry group at church has learned of my retirement and could keep me busy almost every day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

eveready
03-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Enjoy it while you can. Don't put off until later anything you want to do. I've been retired for 20 years and unfortunately my health is going sour. Theirs a lot I still want to do but i'm getting very limited as to what I can do. Enjoy and wishing you the best.

Mmacro
03-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Congratulations! Best advice I can give you is take your time and enjoy the change. It takes a while to adjust... But then you will know what you want to do with your new-found freedom.

From another recently retired government employee (28 years Army) that now works another government job so he can afford his family. ;-)

My biggest revelation was putting in for a week off at my new job. It only took entering the days off I wanted into an online system that sends the request to my boss... Unlike the Army where I had to fill our my DA31; get my supervisor to sign it and my commander to approve the DA31, if it was overseas leave or leave over a certain amount then it had to go the the first O6 in my chain of command, submit a copy of my pay stub showing my leave balance, submit a safety brief, have my supervisor conduct a safety inspection or file a TRIPS report, fill out any air travel in the air tracker, and God-forbid it was overseas travel... That added a country threat brief, O6 approval for some countries (some are our allows even), and about four other forms. Want to talk about a new sense of freedom!

MrWolf
03-01-2021, 02:37 PM
Congrats. Went out on a disability retirement in 2017 at the age of 57. I did do the divorce and gotta say much happier now. My kids are grown so.. The biggest thing my gf keeps reminding me of is I am retired and stop worrying and killing myself over stupid stuff. Takes a long time to loose the AAA personality but I am getting there. Remember to enjoy yourself and family now. Life is to short. We will bury my Uncle tomorrow morning. Only 80. Enjoy yourself.
Ron

Jeff Michel
03-01-2021, 02:43 PM
Give yourself six months to adjust and you'll start to really enjoy it. Congratulations!

John Guedry
03-01-2021, 02:50 PM
I retired the 1st of 2000. I tell folks retirement is over rated.

farmerjim
03-01-2021, 03:00 PM
I retired in 95 after 25 yrs and 10 days with the Fed Gov.
You will find that you do not have the time to do the things that you did while working full time.

Winger Ed.
03-01-2021, 03:17 PM
I retired 4 years ago at 62.
I could have retired a couple years before, but I had a great job, and really enjoyed it.
Then the company hired in some management types that raised stupidity to an art form.

I got up one day and told my self, "Self, I refuse suffer fools any more".
I gave them a 90 day notice, and that was it.

Things I used to hurry, stay up late on the weekends to get done:
Now I can stretch those projects out for months....:bigsmyl2:

gpidaho
03-01-2021, 03:23 PM
Somebody answer me this!!! When do I get to retire from my ultra busy so called Retirement????

I start the morning without anything important to do and am only half finished when I go to bed at night. Love retirement and doing what I want to do and not what someone else wants done. Never bored. Gp

gbrown
03-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Retired:

DON'T NEED TO DO IT!
DON'T WANT TO DO IT!
CAN'T MAKE ME DO IT!

skeettx
03-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Been retired for 10 years

Good for you

Enjoy the time!

Mike

VariableRecall
03-01-2021, 03:37 PM
As a fella who should everything go right, should be entering the workforce shortly, I've got my doubts that I'm ever going to have a retirement to begin with. Here's hoping whoever I work for will respect me enough to give me one in the future.

Murphy
03-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Congratulations Thumbcocker,

You did well my friend. I spent 35 years being a 'Fool for the City'. I laid my keys on the desk 7/31/2019 and walked away from it all. With the exception of a limited few good guys, I haven't missed a thing.

Thanks for your service working in the public sector all those years. We're all human and it ain't easy staying civil when at the moment, it goes against every fiber in your body. It even convinced me not all little old ladies are going to Heaven. Some of the worse cussing's I was every the recipient of, came from sweet little old ladies.

Enjoy your new found freedom my friend, you've earned it. Now reap those rewards.

Murphy

gmsharps
03-01-2021, 04:09 PM
As a fella who should everything go right, should be entering the workforce shortly, I've got my doubts that I'm ever going to have a retirement to begin with. Here's hoping whoever I work for will respect me enough to give me one in the future.

You are I think fortunate to being at a workforce time where you can save some money if you really try. Investments can be very good if you do your homework and keep an eye on them. If you are lucky you will get an employer that will match funds on a 401K plan or stock purchase plan and the like. Most employers expect 100% loyalty to them but give none back to you. You are just a number and they will drop you like a hot potato if they can save a buck. Don't want to sound harsh but it's a dog eat dog world out there. Don't get me wrong I have some great jobs but some that really sucked. Hopefully you will get an employer that will respect you for what you do and reward you as such. Good luck.

gmsharps

VariableRecall
03-01-2021, 04:17 PM
You are I think fortunate to being at a workforce time where you can save some money if you really try. Investments can be very good if you do your homework and keep an eye on them. If you are lucky you will get an employer that will match funds on a 401K plan or stock purchase plan and the like. Most employers expect 100% loyalty to them but give none back to you. You are just a number and they will drop you like a hot potato if they can save a buck. Don't want to sound harsh but it's a dog eat dog world out there. Don't get me wrong I have some great jobs but some that really sucked. Hopefully you will get an employer that will respect you for what you do and reward you as such. Good luck.

gmsharps

Thanks for the tips! These days you can't guarantee anything going right for anyone out there.

abunaitoo
03-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Congratulations!!!!![smilie=w:
Now don't be like some people who end up going back to work.

Winger Ed.
03-01-2021, 04:22 PM

You'll do fine.
Lots of people find that to advance and make more money, you have to change employers rather than wait for raises and promotions.
It's too late in the game to do me much good, but I get a lot of confirmations, vindications, laughs from it,
and for a youngster--- it'll teach you more than any college courses:
Get on youtube, and check out the 'Better Bachelor' channel, especially the comments.

abunaitoo
03-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Remember retiring is not just changing jobs.
Retiring is time to really enjoy life, without someone telling you what to do.

El Greco
03-01-2021, 05:05 PM
I retired 3 months ago at almost 70 years old. Before I made the decision I was freaking out of what I will do with so much free time. I was thinking about getting a part time job at Cabral”s Scheels, Sportsman”s warehouse or doing deliveries for Amazon. Absolutely NO WAY.
My wife keeps me busy. Honey do this and honey do that. 3 daughters keep me coming and going going from school to school taking care of 5 grandkids and 4 dogs. I go to bed whenever I want and I get up whenever I want.
I enjoy my self so much not to have to travel every week and make reports at the end of the week.
I was hoping that I would be able to shoot more but I have to be conservative with the components I have left.

jonp
03-01-2021, 05:17 PM
Congrats on your retirement. I was on a path to retire at 50 but "I met a woman" crimped that plan. Not kicking it and I'm eyeing 5yrs from now (about 10yrs after the original date), maybe 3 if we get lucky. I still plan on working part time which is one of the benefits of being a truck driver. Tons of work out there if you will just get out of bed in the morning and are willing to drive anything from a cargo van to a dump to a set of triples.
I've really been thinking of a part time job at a Cabela's or the like as the gun counter guys are number than a box of rocks and not only seem to give bad advice but outright dangerous advice at times.

M-Tecs
03-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Congrats, I retired about 5 years ago at 55 and I loved it until my wife retired about a year and half ago. She didn't adjust well to it at first so I took a part-time job at a local sporting goods store to get out of the house. I may have to quit or get a fulltime job to pay for all the stuff I buy at the store. The employee discounts are really good.

jonp
03-01-2021, 05:24 PM

gmsharps

Exactly. One job I showed up every day, worked overtime and was never late with a load then a manager took a disliking to me because I actually told him the truth of what I was thinking and I was out the door "downsized". No company owes you any loyalty and you are one paycheck from unemployment especially if someone drops a race bomb or similar on you. HR will run for the hills even with no proof. That's not what happened to me but it was close.

jonp
03-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Congrats, I retired about 5 years ago at 55 and I loved it until my wife retired about a year and half ago. She didn't adjust well to it at first so I took a part-time job at a local sporting goods store to get out of the house. I may have to quit or get a fulltime job to pay for all the stuff I buy at the store. The employee discounts are really good.

My wife has prohibited be from a job at Lowe's, HF or similar for exactly that reason. Working an entire week and then owing the company money isn't a good way to go.

1616s16
03-01-2021, 05:28 PM
I get to retire when I get old. I will be 75 in April. What is old?
Thanks

Winger Ed.
03-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Working an entire week and then owing the company money isn't a good way to go.

I talked to a guy at Bass Pro like that.

He had worked there for about 6 months before he didn't owe them money every pay period.

slohunter
03-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Congrats, been retired 8 yrs. The pay sucks but the hours are great!

kevin c
03-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Congrats!

It's been about three years for me. People ask, " How's retirement?", and I say, "I haven't run out of money yet, so it's great!". If you've planned well financially and still have your health, there's so much that can be done. Just be flexible; COVID has put a (temporary) hitch in our travel plans, but in the mean time I've found plenty of other interesting things to do, including learning fun stuff both familiar but forgotten to me as well as new, building projects (I was a white collar professional that never had the satisfaction of making things with my own hands), etc.. The one retirement plan I haven't followed through on is digging into the extensive library I put together for my leisure time. What leisure time? Too busy to sit now, but having fun out of the house.

curdog
03-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Congratulations on your retirement. I have been retired from IDOC for going on 13 years. You should come to the Goshen Trail Longrifles range at Boyd and shoot muzzleloaders with us. The shoot is the second sunday of every month and we would be glad to have you........................Curdog

cabezaverde
03-01-2021, 07:06 PM
End of the year for me.

MrWolf
03-01-2021, 07:52 PM

You have some things to consider starting out that you may not have thought of. Employment has changed in that you are a number, not a valued employee as others have stated. Keep that in mind. You can go one of basically two routes. Work for the government. Some agencies still offer nice pensions and benefits on retirement usually after 20-25 years while others have gone to a more 401k type and restricted benefits to just you. As an example, I have health insurance for life for free. If I marry again, my spouse would get it also. My dental would only cover me. I got very lucky and was grandfathered in. Look at places and consider what they offer. Some actually pay well especially if you can get in a niche organization.
Second path is to work in the private sector. Find a place that offers matching on 401k's and profit sharing and take maximum advantage and put the max away every paycheck. Do not make an excuse that you will just take a break for a bit. That turns into forever with life stuff. If you become self employed, you must be diligent and put money away every time you can.
You could also do a combo of the two like I did. I got lucky. I ended up working for a County agency but moved up very fast due to my education, licenses, and work experience plus being in the right place at the right time. Pay at first sucked for years and took up,a bit of our savings but was worth it in the end.
Sorry for the thread drift but there are things that I wish I knew starting out so I might have changed plans somewhat. I was very fortunate in that I have always had a job and moved up very fast. Take advantage of companies that pay for education. That is a free raise and offers future mobility. Best of luck and holler if you want to talk.
Ron

smoked turkey
03-01-2021, 08:29 PM
Thumbcocker: Congratulations on the "new job". I tell people it is the best job I ever had. That is true too. I agree with your statement that life is good. You and Mrs. Thumbcocker enjoy that retirement. After 32 years in the public sector you deserve it. I had almost 30 years in when I retired. I had the best job and worked with some very nice people and for the most part my bosses were good to work for. The company decided to downsize and offered an early retirement package. I think they were somewhat surprised when so many of us took them up on their offer! I have been retired for almost 23 years and I have never regretted a single day of the retirement lifestyle. As you have been told and undoubtedly know that if you and Mrs. Thumbcocker have good health you now have the world by the tail. Do what you need to do to keep yourself healthy. You will be busy as others have said.

lightman
03-01-2021, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on a well earned retirement. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

country gent
03-01-2021, 10:00 PM
And you were so excited hen you got your first "real" job.

Now seriously Congrats on retiring with all intact. Enjoy the time and everything.

hoodat
03-01-2021, 10:00 PM
My retirement plan?? I'll probably take off at noon on the day that I die.:razz:

I work for an outfit that loves me, and will pretty much do anything to keep me on the job. (except make me rich) It's a gig that I love (usually) and as long as I stay healthy and happy I'll keep at it. I do plan on cutting my work week down to four or even three days in the near future, and even more when I start collecting SSI. (I'm 64 now).

I've been with these guys for over 20 years, and I'm the second oldest dude on the job. I guess I'd call myself a 5th degree delivery boy, and I do some pretty gnarly stuff on a regular basis. Get to drive and operate equipment that most of us boys love, and deal with lots of great folks who treat me like some kind of hero.

As a bonus, I get to talk Jesus, sometimes with folks who want to hear, sometimes not. Right now I think he'd prefer to have me in this spot, than sitting on the couch getting fat an old. jd

Dekota56
03-01-2021, 10:22 PM
Hope life is good for you..I retired from the Army in 97.. then retired social work 2 years ago.. was able to take care of my father and mother through there last time on earth.. Mom just past yesterday. wouldn’t have done it any other way spending that time with them, my wife just retired this past July.. plan on taking the rest of our time making the best of it. So enjoy your time.

375supermag
03-01-2021, 10:26 PM
Hi...
Like several others have said, I considered getting s part time job in a gun shop after I retired.
Several shops nearby have had openings but so far good sense has gotten ahold of me before I applied for the jobs.
I don't need the money and quite frankly the idea of setting an alarm on s daily basis again terrifies me... and I used to be fearless.

I wake up most mornings around 7:00AM and do pretty much what I want whenever I please.

I work in the reloading room when I feel like it and I study military history and paleontology when the Labs give me time to crack open a book for a few hours.
I generally spend one day a week doing a gun shop tour... typically hit 5-6 shops on a weekday. If my son has off on a Saturday we generally do a gun shop tour that day and we visit one of the gun clubs on Sunday if the weather is decent.
All of my travel plans the last year or so have been put on hold by this totalitarian government shutdown but I hope to be able to start traveling by midsummer or fall if the government would get out of the way with their unconstitutional edicts.

monadnock#5
03-01-2021, 11:32 PM
Been retired for 6 mos. Best job I ever had. Me and the dog greet the lady of the house every afternoon at the door with a cup of coffee and it's a wonderful life.

Congratulations on making it to one of lifes highpoint milestones.

JAMESGR
03-01-2021, 11:41 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Retired in 2009 at 62 yrs. It's nice when every day is Saturday except Sunday.
Have fun and enjoy retirement.

alamogunr
03-02-2021, 01:33 AM
Retired almost 15 years ago within 3 months of 64. I could see things happening at work that would cause problems. I had just finished one of those projects where about 12 people were assigned to the project and at most 3 of us did most of the work. The other nine got the credit.

Funny how the time flies when your are having "fun". This 15 years has passed and I'm a long way from completing the bucket list. I will say this: I have never had a pension. I signed up for the 401K when it was first offered. Learned about investing the first few years and survived a few market corrections. After 15 years of using the 401K converted to IRA to supplement Social Security, we've got more $$ now than when I first retired.

My dad was the smartest man I've ever known. He only finished 2 years of high school and had to go to work when his father died. He insisted that I go to college. I'm glad I did. I was too dumb to do anything else. I found out too late that I could have probably made more money by going into a trade.

I've been blessed with relatively good health. I'm only 78 and I hope it lasts a few more years. If not it has still been a good life despite a few bumps in the road.

David2011
03-02-2021, 03:13 AM
Congratulations! It’s been just over 3 years for me. I’ve been just as busy as ever and that seems to be the norm. Hope you enjoy retirement as much as everyone I know that’s retired.

facetious
03-02-2021, 04:31 AM
Like they all say "your going to love it.

It has been a year and two months for me. Got four weeks and the bug thing locked every thing up. So I guess you have to be flexibelle . A friends DR. told him that it takes 6 months for all the stress hormones to get out of your body. And he was right even the wife commented that I was more relaxed .

If you have a dog get some good walking shoes and walk him a hour a day and if you don't have a dog go anyway. Like they say . If you want to keep moving you have to keep moving.

The best part is not having to get up when you don't want to go some where you don't want to go to do stuff you don't want to do.

richhodg66
03-02-2021, 08:40 AM
I turn 55 in a couple of weeks and find myself thinking an awful lot about it more and more. When I retired from the Army at 46, the situation was such that I likely could have stopped working and just lived carefully, but that's too young to retire so took on a fairly busy job that pays well and is rewarding for the most part. We've since bought a place out in the sticks which is great, but incurred debt I didn't have when I left the Army. Next year I'll be eligible for a small state pension from this job if I want to do it, gotta do some figuring to see how I could make that happen.

MstrEddy
03-03-2021, 06:53 PM
Thumbcocker Congrats!
I'm 56 now, and I remarried and started a family not too long ago, so with an 8 and 11 year old, retiring "early" is not in my financial cards. But, I am planning for 67 to be the time for me.
I actually just retired from the Air Force Reserve back in January. So, there is a "retirement", but as some folks that don't get the Reserve thing keep asking me "so, what will you do, now that you're retired?" -- My answer -- well, since it was a part time weekend job, I go back to work at my job on Monday.
I can't complain though, the AF pension will kick in soon, as will the VA benefits. And, I worked at a community College for about 20 years, and I'll have a pension coming from that at 62. Back in Nov 2019, I switched careers, left the college and went in as a govt contractor. Good bump in pay, no pension, but they do have a matching 401K plan. I also had contributed to the TSP with the AF, so that's another part of the fund. So, little by little, building up the funds so that I won't HAVE to work full time after 67 (full SS age for me).
My wife is younger and she had left banking once we got married to start the family. We're wondering what will be her next career once the kids are a little further along.

So, Thumbcocker, I am glad for you, congrats and also to all the others that have made it.

To the young person that is starting out - there has been some good advice about looking at investments and retirement plans -- I'll also recommend you look into IRAs, even if you have a 401k or pension plan. The more money you put aside as early as you can, the better off you will be when you get to the "magic" age.

And as some mentioned -- working in a gun shop would probably cost me more than the pay I would earn there!

hwilliam01
03-03-2021, 07:10 PM
You'll love retirement....it's like every day's a Saturday! Nothing to do and all day to do it in....no where to go and all day to get there! What you do now...you do because...YOU WANT to!

Targa
03-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Congratulations Thumbcocker, that is outstanding!

I actually just retired from the Air Force Reserve back in January. So, there is a "retirement", but as some folks that don't get the Reserve thing keep asking me "so, what will you do, now that you're retired?" -- My answer -- well, since it was a part time weekend job, I go back to work at my job on Monday.

Same here, retired from the Air National Guard on the 21st of February. Four more years and I retire from my full time job with twenty five years on and then it is on to the next chapter until I hit 60 and the military pension kicks in. So the plan is in twelve more years to be posting on the wonders of retirement...:bigsmyl2:

MstrEddy
03-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Congratulations Thumbcocker, that is outstanding!

Same here, retired from the Air National Guard on the 21st of February. Four more years and I retire from my full time job with twenty five years on and then it is on to the next chapter until I hit 60 and the military pension kicks in. So the plan is in twelve more years to be posting on the wonders of retirement...:bigsmyl2:

Targa, congrats! I actually am due to draw now -- effective on 13 Jan, based on the Reduced Retirement Age option. -- Basically activated time reduces the age at which the pension kicks in. Due to some various AD tours/deployments my age was 56 1/4. -- So, now just waiting for DFAS to sort it out and get the checks rolling in.
And like you, waiting about 11 years for the magic days! I can't wait!

myg30
03-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the retirement thumbcocker, hope you and the mrs enjoy it and stay healthy!
Well me and my girl just retired too as of 12/31. Second best Christmas present ever. I think I’m working harder now trying to finish moving and finding places to put years of “ stuff” I managed to collect.
Wife wanted to be near the lake so we moved to Winchester, Tn. from the Nashville area and hope to get out on the water this year or by next year God willing.
I’m very lucky to retire at almost 63, but finding trouble in this area getting a doctor to take the health insurance I purchased. The Cigna Connect plan I have was very affordable BUT I find out now that none of the dr’s near here want to take it. I may end up having to drive 50-60 miles toward Nashville for a PCP ( primary care physician) . Once I hit 65 and get on Medicare then I have better choices.
If this is my only trouble then I can deal with it fer 2 1/2 more years.

So to all of you that have posted and the ones that will jump in here after me, I just want to
Wish ALL of you and long, happy, healthy retirement. Get out and enjoy life while you can like we are.
We were fortunate to miss a few curve balls these past couple years and that prompted the early retirement fer us.

God Bless, Mike

.429&H110
03-05-2021, 08:40 PM
Thumbcocker I enjoy your posts!
My wife has a Superblackhawk, so she is a thumbcocker too,
and hits what she puts her 11" sights on...

I walked out of the University of Alaska Fairbanks at 64
Without me my shop could keep two kids I trained.
Had I stayed they would be gone, just me alone so
I didn't let the door hit my butt on the way out.
We were gray-skinned tired cold and old when we
moved here to the old folks village in the Sonoran desert.
She had two new hips installed is frisky again
swimming outdoors in January, snow peas are a foot tall
Alaska is no place for old folks; 2000 gallons of oil a year.

Two thumbs up to TOI, if you need hips or knees or hands that's all they do every day, with plenty of geezers to practice on. Doctors have a practice, and TOI can install a new hip in 40 minutes by my watch. Changed out both hips and now both of her legs are within a millimeter of length, that was a challenge in the old days.

My retirement job was to get her healthy enough for this, beat back the type 2 diabetes, get her in the pool and walking the dog. Missing a lot of work lately? I wouldn't say I'm missing it. When the illegal alien was president, I rounded up enough 44 mag stuff to keep us shooting the gong and this forum taught me how. We thank you.

What do I have? ten more years? Lord willing? To spread the Gospel and the Good News.
Forgive me if I say: Sugar is poisonous. Eat what you want. But not carbs.

Adk Mike
03-14-2021, 09:09 PM
This is my last year. Thinking off for the summer and maybe part time next fall. Its nice to have the health insurance. Looking forward to more time shooting and working in my shop.

Finster101
03-14-2021, 09:12 PM
I plan to join you in about three weeks.

oley55
03-15-2021, 03:34 PM
Congrats, Retirement is mostly all good. The not so good is that the spouse no longer recognizes my need for me time. When I was working, it was always 24/7 worrying about stuff beyond my control and being on unpaid on-call duty (such is management in the world of ATC) and she recognized my need to isolate and unwind. Now 10 years in, she just can't grasp the concept.

memtb
03-16-2021, 09:31 AM
Congratulations on your retirement!

I retired a little over 4 years ago, now......I’m just tired! :D memtb