PDA

View Full Version : With No Ammo and No Reloading Supplies Available, Just How Smug Are You?

Liberty1776
03-01-2021, 01:04 AM
They looked at my garage and asked, "Why all the powder, bullets, primers and brass? Why not just buy the ammo you want to shoot?"

Then literally millions of people bought their first gun. And a couple boxes of ammo. 7,000,000 guns means 14,000,000 boxes of ammo. Hello ammo shortage. No ammo? "Perhaps I'll get into reloading." And there goes all the reloading supplies.

Being a reloader, I've got 10,000+ primers, bullets in all needed calibers, brass collected over the years when it carpeted the ranges and was just left there as scrap, powders by the pound, lead ingots, alloys, lead furnaces and bullet molds I've been collecting since 1979.

So now, with every supplier in America telling us, "OUT OF STOCK" just how smug are you that you are able to load and shoot at will?

I used to worry that 9mm cost me 12 cents to reload. Now it's a dollar per round to buy. Primers should be 3 cents each. If you can find them, they are 8 cents each.

You can't even find case gauges or resizing dies for sale. Even Lee shotgun slug molds are unavailable.

Seems everyone instinctively knows that when the government comes for your guns, you better be able to load your own.

How's your ability to reload going?

bimus
03-01-2021, 02:01 AM
In times like these we have stopped shooting guns that need more powder and shoot the more cast friendly guns that use 10 to 14 grains of Unique like our 30-30's and pistols .

ryanmattes
03-01-2021, 02:21 AM
I'm good for a while. 18k-ish primers actually translates to 2k-4k of each of the primers I use regularly, plus shotgun primers (but bird shells are still available, so no pressure to load), magnum, scattered BR and match primers, etc. That'll keep me for a year or two, I'll just adjust what I'm shooting to what I have. Run low on pistol, I'll start shooting rifle more, and so on. Same for powder, I've got plenty to load whatever I want. More than I have primers, anyway.

I'm not smug about it. I'm still buying primers when I see them at pre-drought prices. Powder too, when I find it. But I'm not worried. I think prices will go back closer to "normal" in 2 years or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
03-01-2021, 02:25 AM
I'm still casting, reloading, & shooting.
I've got a decent amount of primers.
I meant to order more several months ago, and didn't get around to it, but I'm OK.

Since the 80's, if I saw brass cheap, or came home from the range with more brass than I went with, I'd go ahead and load it.
When I got a new gun in a different cal., I'd buy a thousand brass and load it up.

The only effect I've had from the shortage is now days,
I have switched over to shooting more handguns and "the load' for .30 cal. to conserve powder.

rbuck351
03-01-2021, 02:26 AM
I have plenty of supplies to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days. For fun and small game, I shoot almost totally cast boolits in pistols and rifles. At the price I bought supplies and the fact that I don't shoot the huge thumpers for fun, I can load for 5 to 8 cents per round using from 3 to 10 grs of powder for handguns and 10 to 20 grs for rifle. And I have never paid more than 3 cents per primer.
For fun rifles I shoot 22H, 22KH, 25/20, 256win, 32/20, 223, 30/30 and similar small rounds. For big game hunting I shoot J word bullets but it usually only takes a couple or three rounds a year and at that rate I will never run out.

VariableRecall
03-01-2021, 02:53 AM
I'm off to a good start considering I started in August. My old man doesn't' know that I've actually started my reloading endeavors, so that's going to be something I'm not looking forward to explaining. Considering that I've more than "paid for" the value of my reloading equipment and my firearm at current pandemic prices for ammunition (Thank you very much for the supplies!). I just hope that mom and dad are going to be understanding about the matter.

Either way, I just hope that I'm going to be able to try out more casting. I've just Alox'd some boolits for the first time, and that process was remarkably quick and easy. just daub in a little bit of goo, shake, and let dry.

I do have some Large Pistol primers I nabbed off GB in December for 10c a primer (looking back, at least that's reasonable these days) so that may make for a reasonable use/trade item for other reloading components I may need.

Either way I'm just going to keep my head down and hunt for deals wherever I can find them.

Traffer
03-01-2021, 03:21 AM
I have a little over a box (50 rounds) of 9mm and a hundred small pistol primers. So I can laugh at the shortage. This will last me the rest of my life.

stubshaft
03-01-2021, 04:13 AM
I was at the range this morning which is usually a thriving environment with people waiting for a bench. By 11:00 it was a virtual ghost town with only 9 people there. No loaded ammo, no primers = no shooters.

Daekar
03-01-2021, 05:56 AM
I've got several thousand primers and enough other components that I technically have enough to do what I need for a long time. However, it's not enough to do what I want. I am feeling secure but not terribly smug.

Going to use this time to collect lead, make ingots, do some low volume accuracy testing.

MrWolf
03-01-2021, 06:03 AM
I don't think "smug" is the right word for times like these. Better prepared but not smug. Could be some difficult times ahead of us

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2021, 06:24 AM
I have a little over a box (50 rounds) of 9mm and a hundred small pistol primers. So I can laugh at the shortage. This will last me the rest of my life.

that would be like taking a breath and hoping I had enough oxygen for the next 30 years.

TjB101
03-01-2021, 08:43 AM
I actually thinned the herd and helped a few reloaders out but still have enough stock to keep me happy for a few years. I need to get to the range for my yearly range scrap scrounging session but that have to wait till spring. My lead supplies are dwindling a tad (200 lbs left).

Not smug, but happy I dropped $100 at every gun show the last 7 years and bought primers.

GhostHawk
03-01-2021, 09:48 AM
Between the Covid and the shortage I have shot very little this last year.

I have enough of everything I need, but don't want to waste it. If you can't replace primers every one you pop is one less you might need some day. I'm sitting on good stashes of lead, powder, primers. But if I shoot 100 rounds every week it won't last forever.

So for me I just stopped going to the range. I turned back to my airguns to keep my hand/eye coordination and my shooting eye sharp.

I have a little Beeman single pump pneumatic that does maybe 400 fps in .177. I have thousands of those pellets. So a few rounds here and there is no sweat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W30UAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

33$ currently on Amazon. I end up spending twice that on adapter to dovetail and Red Dot sight. Still able to put one together for about 100$. And another 100$ spent on pellets would leave you in good shape for a long time.

My target is a 12"x12"x18" box filled with rubberized kids play mats cut to fit then wrapped the box in duct tape.

Hang a standard slow fire pistol target on it and I use a 2" shoot n see bullseye so I can see where I hit.

On a good day at 15 feet I can easily cover 5 shots with a dime. One ragged hole.

Don't have to go anywhere, dress for outside. Just put the dog outside on his leash and pop a few.

I have an even better catch box for Air Rifles and a 20' range in basement. Its been getting a bit more use.

Just something to consider.

"TRUGLO Dual-Color Multi-Reticle Open Dot Sight" 66$ at amazon.
This is the adapter I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IWPI3EY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8$ and change. Locks on solid to the Beeman dovetail. Does not move or lose zero even when the pistol is laying on the floor getting kicked around.

As to Red Dot's spend as much or as little as you like. Pistol comes with good sights but I vastly prefer the Red Dot for quick pickup of the target. I like a 2.5 MOA dot. At closer ranges that is small enough. And the lower you run the Red Dot at, the smaller the dot appears.

Last, that beeman pistol has an absolutely AWESOME trigger.
The only annoyance I had was the automatic safety. Pop out one pin, remove actuating lever, replace, = no more automatic safety.
Still has a very good manual safety. And best of course is if you are not shooting it, don't cock and load it.

Hope this helps someone.

Triggerfinger
03-01-2021, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Liberty1776;5131827]
So now, with every supplier in America telling us, "OUT OF STOCK" just how smug are you that you are able to load and shoot at will? [ QUOTE]

I'm a little smug, but.....which one is Will?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2021, 10:07 AM
I fear I am more smug than I should be.

The OP doesn't specifically address being Generous to those who are not stocked up or who want to be stocked up or who just want to buy tooling and equipment...But I guess indirectly, the word smug does.

HATCH
03-01-2021, 10:20 AM
I feel pretty good but I am worried.
I have a decent stockpile and could shoot for the next ten years or more at my current rate of fire.
The problem I have is that nagging feeling that I didn't have before.
The feeling that each shot isn't just 7 cents a trigger pull (9mm and 38sp)
That each trigger pull potentially means that's one shot closer to being out of ammo.
A feeling that I never had before.
Yes, I could load a bunch of ammo before I run out of supplies, but in the past I knew that I could just order replacements from Powder Valley and life would be good again.
I haven't purchased primers or powder in over a decade.
Last time I bought primers it was $23 per thousand for Remington Primers.
Those days are long gone.

I feel for those just now getting into shooting and reloading in general. Its the time to stock up on guns for sure, but the timing is wrong on everything else.

oley55
03-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Not so much and don't think I ever have been. I suppose it all depends on your financial situation or family at any given time. I find I am always balancing family needs against my shooting/reloading wants.

There is plenty of smug to be found on the various forums. Some far worse than others (and certainly way worse than generally found here). Case in point, if you venture into the annealing brass subject on another forum, the 'Smuggies" go into overdrive and tell us we are all Morons because we aren't using an AMP induction annealer, and/or so on.

When supplies were plentiful, I knew I should stock up on everything, but Granny's wants always seemed more important (she does wash my cloths and cook my meals after all). I've got enough I guess, but then maybe not over the long run. Will this particular shortage end like all previous shortages, or will this one become the new norm (if some law makers get there way)?

I'm doing OK, but I'm a long, long ways from feeling smug or all knowing.

SSGOldfart
03-01-2021, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Liberty1776;5131827]
So now, with every supplier in America telling us, "OUT OF STOCK" just how smug are you that you are able to load and shoot at will? [ QUOTE]

I'm a little smug, but.....which one is Will?

I'm very smug[smilie=1:
Yea we need a picture of Will it helps to know one's target(don't want to waste a shot with this shortage going on )

LenH
03-01-2021, 10:36 AM
I am by all means not smug about much of anything. I stocked up on primers when Powder valley had primers for a hundred bucks for 5K LP primers. I think I
got 20K at the time and still have about 12K left. I found a guy cleaning up his inventory and got several unopened jugs of powder that I use. I try and stick funds
back for such purchases.

I have got caught with my britches down a time or two during times when there were runs on components.

dverna
03-01-2021, 10:37 AM
I cashed out most of my stock of primers. No way I am going to plink a few thousand rounds a year with stuff that has that much value.

Took the "profit" and invested in a high end PCP rifle, suppressor, and tank. I can shoot for less than a nickel a shot for the rest of my life without smelting scrap, casting, lubing/sizing, picking up brass, cleaning brass, or reloading....and NO hearing protection. Most of our plinking is at 50 yards or less so why throw 125-180 gr bullets at 1000-1600 fps?

Once my pellet evaluation is completed, I will buy 20k pellets and be set for a while. Then wait for sales on pellets and add another 20-30k. Will likely add a pellet pistol as well.

I suppose I am a bit smug about being prepared, but I get tired of hearing from those who made poor choices and now are in trouble. Like the OP, I had "friends" laugh at me for stocking up.

Some new members on this site are the most vocal. But the ones who tick me off the most are those using guilt to shame their "shooting brothers". If you use the word hoarder, scalper or speculator, you might be a Democrat....or at least a RINO.

The most ignorant word used by the grasshoppers is "hoarder". It is all relative. Is someone with 30k primers a hoarder? I suppose if someone shoots 1500-2000 rounds a year, it may look that way. What if they shoot 20k rounds a year?

Blanket
03-01-2021, 10:43 AM
think I will give the prairie dogs and gophers heck out west this year, ought to be good for several thousand rounds. Should be plenty now that folks quit shooting because of short sighted plans

BigAlofPa.
03-01-2021, 10:47 AM
The shortage is not my 1st rodeo. Im good for a few years. Heck i still had 22lr after the last one. The milk carton 9.00 boxes.

AndyC
03-01-2021, 10:55 AM
I'm fine for a while - only thing I didn't have enough of was SPP but I've traded here and there, both parties walking away happy.

It's amazing - post a casting picture on the more popular social media outlets and the requests come in:
"Hey, can you make me.."

"No".

I have made some ammo and gifted it to my closest people, but I have zero time for opportunists.

lead4me
03-01-2021, 11:07 AM
So I take it you don't own any firearms?

JoeJames
03-01-2021, 11:26 AM
I am not smug. I am in pretty good shape for reloading, but I learned a long time ago to never get too smug. We just don't know if this stampede will ever stop. Will it quieten down in 2 years, 4 years, or have the Democrats gotten the election process locked down to where they will be basically the sole party in the US? In that case we will all be S.O.L.

mvozz
03-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Smug, no - not really, but I feel I am an opportunist. I have taken this opportunity and my several years of component purchases to help others. I have gotten several people into reloading and a couple into casting. I have taken several new firearm owners to the range and they shoot my ammo for free. All of this is done to make sure my friends and neighbors are armed and comfortable with their firearms. It does me no good to be laying on top of 50K primers and have people in my community having none. I will quote a friend of mine that was kind enough to ask if I had enough components, "I will always help out people that are in need but I won't help people that want some of what I have so they have more and I have less." All smugness aside, I like the fact that I put aside enough to share.

dtknowles
03-01-2021, 12:16 PM
I don't think "smug" is the right word for times like these. Better prepared but not smug. Could be some difficult times ahead of us

Oh, don't kid yourself. Many here have been acting smug.
smug
[sməɡ]
ADJECTIVE
having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.

Tim

Soundguy
03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
In times like these we have stopped shooting guns that need more powder and shoot the more cast friendly guns that use 10 to 14 grains of Unique like our 30-30's and pistols .

Agreed.. I am shooting lots more 32/38/357 than rifle these days. If rifle... it's cast light loads.

Targa
03-01-2021, 12:31 PM
I can reload for a while, especially the heavy hitters that require large pistol primers and small rifle primers. If this nonsense doesn't end anytime soon I will go fishing more until it does.

gpidaho
03-01-2021, 12:43 PM
I have the needs of mine plus family covered and have been preparing for times such as these since 1997. That and several airguns will keep me entertained from now on out. Gp

waksupi
03-01-2021, 01:01 PM
I figure I have enough supplies to last me at least ten years after I've died.

charlie b
03-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Remember that shooting is basically a recreation. Like going fishing. Yes, there is a skill there that can be used for putting meat on the table, but, at least for the near future, it is not a life sustaining activity for 99.99% of the people out there.

So, yes, for many of us having a couple hundred rounds for our self defense weapons is all that is 'required'.

Why do people keep saying ammo is unobtainable or $10/rnd? Last week at our local Sportsman's there were over 50 boxes of Remington 9mm ammo on the shelf. Probably same of .223 and 7.62x39. $12/box for the 9mm. Did not look at the other prices. Yes, it sold in a couple of days (limit one box per customer per day) but they get in ammo weekly now. Usually some 9mm and .223 are in the shipments. They also got in a bunch of primers (that sold out in a couple hours) and they have some powders in stock, some that would be suitable for many pistol cartridges. All of these are being sold at normal prices.

Yes, things are getting better.

Burnt Fingers
03-01-2021, 01:04 PM
I got caught short on primers.

I had wanted to have 50K each LPP and SPP, 25K each LRP and SRP on hand in August of 2020. The KungFlu caused the panic buying to start early.

I'm a bit below where I wanted to be.

I'm loading 9mm for right at $4.75/100 and have been for quite some time. 45 ACP costs just a bit more.

I would not call myself smug but smart.

Texas by God
03-01-2021, 01:06 PM
It has really cut into my magazine dumps from my lever action 38-55 since cheap ammo is no longer availiable......

Traffer
03-01-2021, 01:23 PM
that would be like taking a breath and hoping I had enough oxygen for the next 30 years.

Not quite....It would be more like have a loaded gun in the house but not needing it.

Green Frog
03-01-2021, 01:33 PM
“Feeling smug?” I don’t know that I would say that. Rather I would suggest that one man’s “smug” might be another man’s “self assurance” depending on your outlook. I like to think of it as a sort of relaxed feeling of confidence.

Froggie

DDriller
03-01-2021, 01:33 PM
Got caught short on 209 shotgun primers. My son and grandsons decided it was time to start shooting shotguns again. Have plenty of SRP, SPP, and LPP.

1I-Jack
03-01-2021, 01:35 PM
think I will give the prairie dogs and gophers heck out west this year, ought to be good for several thousand rounds. Should be plenty now that folks quit shooting because of short sighted plans

Hope you're going to leave some for me. Have to delay my spring dog shooting until summer because of work this year.

SSGOldfart
03-01-2021, 01:46 PM
Hey Don which PCP did you get? I've been researching air rifles a bit myself.

megasupermagnum
03-01-2021, 02:03 PM
It can be a fine line between hoarding and stock piling. The way I see it, if you are a reloader, you need 8 years worth of supply on hand going into an election year. At the very least 5 years. Anything less, and it is your own fault when you run out. If you are an adult who didn't see this shortage coming, then it is your own fault.

I suppose that makes me smug.

Cherokee
03-01-2021, 02:08 PM
I've got more supplies than I think I'll be able to use up in my remaining lifetime.

BJK
03-01-2021, 03:16 PM
I'm pretty much the same Cherokee. I learned well from the last few shortages and after this last one ended and things became available again I made sure to buy what I needed for a very long time. How long will I live? The last chink I needed to plug were bullets and once it warms up I'll get on that. I'll need a few more molds once I make sure I've learned my casting lessons well. Many years ago I decided that I wasn't going to have huge numbers of calibers so as to make bullet supply easy.

Cargo
03-01-2021, 03:48 PM
I started Feb/March last year and I am nowhere near where I'd like to be but I can take my family to the range and teach my children without having a nervous breakdown about finding ammo afterwards. Last month we had a joint range day with another family and we took gear and ammo for them as well. Their kids helped put up targets and pick up brass. Everyone learned and had fun. If we don't go crazy we're good for a while.

charlie b
03-01-2021, 05:05 PM
It can be a fine line between hoarding and stock piling. The way I see it, if you are a reloader, you need 8 years worth of supply on hand going into an election year. At the very least 5 years. Anything less, and it is your own fault when you run out. If you are an adult who didn't see this shortage coming, then it is your own fault.

I suppose that makes me smug.

Hoarding is to amass (money or valued objects) and hide or store away.
"thousands of antiques hoarded by a compulsive collector"

Seems like it is the same as stockpiling accumulate a large stock of (goods or materials).
"he claimed that the weapons were being stockpiled"

I am a reloader and I do not 'need' 8 years worth of supplies. It is just a hobby. If I run out the world is not going to come to an end. Heck, I can't count the number of times I have been without any reloading supplies at all, just due to changes in my interests.

gbrown
03-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Smug is having excessive pride in some achievement. Like walking away with a smirk after you have bested someone else. I've never been that way. I am prepared for the next few years, best I can say.

Murphy
03-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Given my shooting habits these days, I'm comfortable with what I have.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Murphy

405grain
03-01-2021, 05:52 PM
I agree: I'm not smug about stuff. I've been through shortages before, and learned from the experience. I have enough supplies to weather the storm even if it lasts for years. One thing that I have decided from this latest shortage: once things go back to "normal", I'm not going to buy powder by the pound any more. Anything I need will be in 8 pounders from now on.

M-Tecs
03-01-2021, 06:19 PM
I agree: I'm not smug about stuff. I've been through shortages before, and learned from the experience. I have enough supplies to weather the storm even if it lasts for years. One thing that I have decided from this latest shortage: once things go back to "normal", I'm not going to buy powder by the pound any more. Anything I need will be in 8 pounders from now on.

I do competitive rifle and lots of prairie dog shooting so I use more than most but it's been 20 plus years since I have purchased anything less than an 8 pounder unless a 5 is the largest option. Normally order between 32 pounds and 48 pounds at a time plus primers to minimize the hazmat cost.

panhed65
03-01-2021, 07:32 PM
I have been preparing for this type of thing since 1970 when I came home from the First Infantry Division, and am set for life with guns, ammo reloading supplies and a few other items. having been a boy scout earlier in life helped also. of course there is always something you need, like a nice 32-20 Marling, but I can live without it.
Barry

MrWolf
03-01-2021, 07:36 PM
I have been preparing for this type of thing since 1970 when I came home from the First Infantry Division, and am set for life with guns, ammo reloading supplies and a few other items. having been a boy scout earlier in life helped also. of course there is always something you need, like a nice 32-20 Marling, but I can live without it.
Barry

Yup. Got one and an Uberti Cattleman to make a pair:Fire:
Good luck
Ron

jessdigs
03-01-2021, 07:56 PM
Not smug at all. Can't afford to be. I have 18k primers, 70lb of powder. A few k of all major caliber of brass I reload,
I have several hundred of the oddball calibers I reload less of.

I am feeling okay with what I have but wish I had more primers. Won’t let that happen again.

I bought prime all to make primers out of and bought 22 ram set blanks so pull the priming compound out of, I have Gun cabs to make primers out of but all these methods to take away too much time and way too much effort I’d rather just buy them

Hope we come out of this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rfeustel
03-02-2021, 01:24 AM
Well said.

Omega
03-02-2021, 01:43 AM
Ok, I'll say it; I do feel a bit smug when I listen to people that I KNOW are Biden supporters complain because their new gun is just a paperweight. I've seen posts were some feel we should reach out to these people and get them some help with supplies, but I am just not that ready to reach across the isle just yet, at least not with my supplies. I'll gladly teach them safety, and will even entertain giving them a place to shoot, with their ammo, and some training, as I would hate to see anyone get hurt, but I just don't feel like depleting my stash for people that gave us this mess in the first place. Now, my friends, or ones that are known conservatives, yea, I have traded with them, calibers, powders, and even sent out some brass to some that needed it. Primers are my only shortage, well, not short exactly, but I don't feel like I am where I would like to be with those.

M-Tecs
03-02-2021, 01:49 AM
Ok, I'll say it; I do feel a bit smug when I listen to people that I KNOW are Biden supporters complain because their new gun is just a paperweight. I've seen posts were some feel we should reach out to these people and get them some help with supplies, but I am just not that ready to reach across the isle just yet, at least not with my supplies. I'll gladly teach them safety, and will even entertain giving them a place to shoot, with their ammo, and some training, as I would hate to see anyone get hurt, but I just don't feel like depleting my stash for people that gave us this mess in the first place. Now, my friends, or ones that are known conservatives, yea, I have traded with them, calibers, powders, and even sent out some brass to some that needed it. Primers are my only shortage, well, not short exactly, but I don't feel like I am where I would like to be with those.

Very well stated. I agree 100%.

lead4me
03-02-2021, 03:15 AM

Amen!!

FarNorth45
03-02-2021, 04:36 AM
Agreed !!!! And also all the ones who do shoot , but argued that it was stupid to have so many rounds and reloading supplies on hand !!! Some even say there is other things to spend money on ....... then this all hit and they ask me if i know where they might be able to find some ammo??? Ha! ....... it was next to the toliet paper last time i seen it !!!! I'm not for sure , but i think its more of how does crow taste look ??? Well I guess that might be a smug look lol!!!

William Yanda
03-02-2021, 07:44 AM
With No Ammo and No Reloading Supplies Available......you are effectively disarmed.

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2021, 07:48 AM
I cashed out most of my stock of primers. No way I am going to plink a few thousand rounds a year with stuff that has that much value.

Took the "profit" and invested in a high end PCP rifle, suppressor, and tank. I can shoot for less than a nickel a shot for the rest of my life without smelting scrap, casting, lubing/sizing, picking up brass, cleaning brass, or reloading....and NO hearing protection. Most of our plinking is at 50 yards or less so why throw 125-180 gr bullets at 1000-1600 fps?

Once my pellet evaluation is completed, I will buy 20k pellets and be set for a while. Then wait for sales on pellets and add another 20-30k. Will likely add a pellet pistol as well.

I suppose I am a bit smug about being prepared, but I get tired of hearing from those who made poor choices and now are in trouble. Like the OP, I had "friends" laugh at me for stocking up.

Some new members on this site are the most vocal. But the ones who tick me off the most are those using guilt to shame their "shooting brothers". If you use the word hoarder, scalper or speculator, you might be a Democrat....or at least a RINO.

The most ignorant word used by the grasshoppers is "hoarder". It is all relative. Is someone with 30k primers a hoarder? I suppose if someone shoots 1500-2000 rounds a year, it may look that way. What if they shoot 20k rounds a year?

don i thought I saw a pellet mold at one time. Might be worth looking into.

Garyshome
03-02-2021, 08:11 AM
Yesterday,LGS has berry's plated in 9mm/115/124/147: 380/100:38/357 in 125/158: .40 in 155/180:45 in 230rs/230hp. no limit.

No primers or powder though.

USSR
03-02-2021, 08:43 AM
I have plenty of supplies to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days.

Ditto.

Don

dverna
03-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Hey Don which PCP did you get? I've been researching air rifles a bit myself.

Got the Daystate Regal Huntsman. Have not shot it yet, but reviews are good. Mine is in .22

Will be mostly used for plinking and target shooting to 50 yards, but will play a bit at 100 yards to see how it performs. Will also be used for squirrels and vermin. I hope to start a thread on it once the weather improves.

Soundguy
03-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Yesterday,LGS has berry's plated in 9mm/115/124/147: 380/100:38/357 in 125/158: .40 in 155/180:45 in 230rs/230hp. no limit.

No primers or powder though.

Surprised to even see bullets..

Mal Paso
03-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Last time I went to the range, the gate was closed, no explanation on the website. My unloading has been severely hampered this last year. Finished ammo sits on the reloading room floor, waiting.

With the help of members here I picked out a RSW48 22 Air Rifle. I had been hearing good things about air rifles but had no idea how good they can be. Got my own range right here. LOL

SeabeeMan
03-02-2021, 12:09 PM
The way I figure, even if I never laid my hands on another new component, I could feed my family for the rest of my life and teach my kids to shoot without really ever having to ration. I'm even set on 22LR as long as we don't shoot more than 1000 a year, or so.

Even with that, I'll most likely have stuff that somebody will have to sort through some day. Best part is, I'm 38! There's a few molds I'd like to add and should this hysteria ever pass, I'll be padding my stash even more, but I'm good if it doesn't.

MarkW
03-02-2021, 12:21 PM
OK, didn't read the entire thread but I think the issue is that most people are set for at least a year but like the last time, nobody knows how long the "drought" is going to last. I'm of the opinion that we are just seeing the end result of a record amount of guns being sold last year and a substantial amount of first time buyers in that group who each bought several boxes of ammo at the same time. However, I may be wrong which is why there's all the uncertainty right now.

USSR
03-02-2021, 12:32 PM
It was a perfect storm. A pandemic, rioting and looting, a national election, and a national election that turned over all branches of the government to a party known to be unfriendly to firearms ownership. A painful lesson for those of you who did not prepare. A classic case of The Ant and the Grasshopper fable.

Don

green mountain boy
03-02-2021, 01:10 PM
I am in much the same boat as many of you, short in areas i wish i was not, fat in some areas yet over stocked in several as well. i have 9 five gallon pails of wheel weights waiting to be melted into ingots (or fishing weights) . and i hope that most of us also are thinking of our pantry supplies, if you were not perhaps some effort in that area would pay us dividends (lead and gunpowder taste nasty) it just might be a great time to think outside the box since my crystal ball is somewhat cloudy....and none of us KNOW what lies beyond the horizon .

brewer12345
03-02-2021, 03:09 PM
I decided my alternative to centerfire would be black powder shooting if this turns into a really long term thing. I think I just about managed to squeak under the wire before that market went dry as well. Should be set for a while and am actually looking forward to the spring and summer shooting season now that hunting season is over.

dverna
03-02-2021, 03:12 PM
The way I figure, even if I never laid my hands on another new component, I could feed my family for the rest of my life and teach my kids to shoot without really ever having to ration. I'm even set on 22LR as long as we don't shoot more than 1000 a year, or so.

Even with that, I'll most likely have stuff that somebody will have to sort through some day. Best part is, I'm 38! There's a few molds I'd like to add and should this hysteria ever pass, I'll be padding my stash even more, but I'm good if it doesn't.

You are a wise young man. I did not start "inventorying" (trying to be PC....LOL) until I was about 50. I was fortunate that I had no debt and a good job. When I found sales I bought in bulk....50k cast bullets on one order (was too busy to spend time casting), 50k primers per order, cases of ammunition, and cases of powder etc. It does not take many sales to get stocked up.

During previous shortages I sold stuff and reinvested in more stuff when prices came back down. Doing the same this time. At this point, the components/ammo I have left are essentially "free". I stopped shooting competitively a few years ago so I use far less stuff than I used to. I can shoot about 8-10 years with what I have left and it will last a lifetime if things get really bad. One "advantage" of being 70 YO.

Stay with your plan. Learn from history, and think about being prepared to "help" the grasshoppers during the next shortage. You can make a bit of money with no downside risk if you buy when times are good. Fortunately, most people are married, and many wives would rather spend $3k for a vacation instead of buying 120k primers. Those primers now are worth over $12,000.

BTW, being single I did not have to deal with that issue much. I did what I wanted. Get your wife on board. My fiancé has already "approved" restocking after seeing what is happening now. Fortunately for me she enjoys shooting. and is smart enough to see the upside of being prepared.

lightman
03-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Smug is not the word that I would use. I have seen how quickly a guy can be humbled. But, I shot as much as I wanted to last year and can do the same this year. I gifted ammo, primers, powder, AR mags and toilet paper to a few guys last year and may do the same this year. Selectively of course. I got caught in a shortage years ago, maybe during the Clinton years, but I don't really remember. History truly does repeat itself and I learn from that one.

bluebird66
03-02-2021, 05:07 PM
I'm okay but I would feel better with a few thousand more primers.

RKJ
03-02-2021, 08:43 PM
I wish I had a few more primers (SPP) but I'm okay.

zarrinvz24
03-02-2021, 09:57 PM
I fear I am more smug than I should be.

The OP doesn't specifically address being Generous to those who are not stocked up or who want to be stocked up or who just want to buy tooling and equipment...But I guess indirectly, the word smug does.

I very much appreciate that the members here are willing to sell things without using the crazy eBay prices as a comparable sale for setting prices. Good honest people are hard to come by these days.

Hogtamer
03-02-2021, 11:17 PM
Don’t be caught without water and food preps. Guns and ammo only go so far.

monadnock#5
03-03-2021, 12:12 AM
There was one internet reader of tea leaves who opined that, on our current glide path, it will be 4 to 6 years for a return to "normalcy". Of course there's no consideration given to possible disruptions in the market in the meantime.

Way too early in the game for smugness. Puts me in mind of the chorus from The Gambler by Kenny Rogers.

imashooter2
03-03-2021, 01:03 AM

My prayers that the doctors are wrong and you’ll live more than a half an hour.

RogerDat
03-03-2021, 01:17 AM
I bought steadily what I could afford. I can't be the only one that recalls the run during Y2K or after the Clinton Assault Weapons Bill? Sandy Hook was really bad for shortages as it had Presidential election which tends to draw down supplies a bit, Obama won which helped encourage adding some "extra" then a major incident that had Congress talking about introducing legislation and many states enacting restrictions. Nothing gets the masses of gun owner more inclined to add something to the pantry like legislation restricting firearms.

There are two forms of shortage. Situational as in Y2K or the pandemic. People start worrying about social upheaval and that causes some panic buying. We were out of guns and ammo well before election or Democratic gains. Pandemic alone caused two local gun shops I know of to sell out. I think pandemic type stuff tends to be harder on reloading supplies. When people think end of civilization it makes the idea of reloading their own seem more attractive. You can hardly find black powder firearms. I guess much of the country thinks they will need to defend hearth and home with a Kentucky rifle or cap & ball pistol. When the driving force is some sort of regulation it also drives stockpile additions but I think that is as much a case of buying a gun and then buying a bunch of ammo for it. Enough people do it and there are shortages in popular calibers. Doesn't hit reloading as hard I don't think.

Pandemic had $22 Lee 2 cavity 9mm molds SELLING on eBay for over $150 which is a panic purchase. If you cast and have a 9mm you probably have a mold, or know where you can borrow one. If you just managed to find a 9mm and can't find ammo and are certain your life is in danger due to the pandemic or BLM or something then you will pay a buck and a quarter a round or $150 for a $22 mold.

I'm not exactly smug. I'm ok with where I'm at. I would in a really long term shortage adjust my habits to make available supplies last longer. Darn sure can't replace them right now at today's prices. I would also add that selling into today's market puts some cash in the gun safe for replacement components which I assume will become available eventually. With stuff unavailable and when the supply situation will change being so uncertain it takes a fair amount of cash to make me not miss a box of 1000 primers. Or a pack of 300 rounds of 5.56 ammo. Less than gun broker prices but certainly not letting it go for what I paid for it. If a friend needed something that is different than stopping at LGS or a gun show to see if someone will pay me enough that I don't miss the item being available. Gun broker is priced like Cheaper than Dirt to insure that the most desperate buyer with the most money will buy the item. It is the one real strength of capitalism. The ability to put desired products and services into the hands of people who have the money to pay for them. eBay and Gun Broker are simply filtering out the buyers who lack a strong desire and a good amount of money by having high prices.

Am I smug? No satisfied that I don't have any reason to be concerned. Slightly annoyed that some items I wish to purchase will have to wait until things settle back down. More than a little amazed that this can keep happening repeatedly for decades and some people still get caught by surprise. That others seem to think this time is going to be different before it happens or has a different cause other than situational panic or government changes. Both of which are sure to come up again.

I am certainly going to set aside as much of my covid-19 checks to put the finishing touches on my inventory once I see a return to normal. Heck I may find some deals as people with no clue decide the world won't end and they can sell whatever it is they bought for defense in anticipation of anarchy and madness sweeping the nation. Pretty sure there are at least a few women who now own a .40 S&W that will rock their world if they ever try and shoot the thing. Even a few men I expect that will find it a useless item that they don't enjoy and can't really use at any distance where a knife wouldn't be more appropriate weapon choice.

Nope can't really be smug just for not being an idiot and having paid attention over a moderate number of years of living so as to have some clue about the world around me.

44Blam
03-03-2021, 01:27 AM
When things started looking lean, I picked up a few kegs of some powders I don't normally use. One was Herco, then AA11fs, Norma 200 and Alliant 2400.
Turns out, Herco is just a little slower than Unique and is REALLY useful. 2400 is a go to in a lot of applications and Norma 200 gives me a really consistent 350 legend load.
I thought, hmm, what is still available... I was amazed that EVERY powder is out of stock. Even the oddball ones!
I've got 100 or so slugs loaded, so I think I'll stop dropping 30 grain of Herco in the shotshells and maybe make some lower velocity handgun rounds...

44Blam
03-03-2021, 01:31 AM

Damn, Traffer... Are you on death's door?

RogerDat
03-03-2021, 02:37 AM
on the return to normalcy. I saw gun show ammo dipping below a buck a round. Some was still that high but much of it was going for a little less than that. I see the 9mm Lee molds that were over $150 for sold price have buy it now in the $50 range. I saw a lot of old primers, like almost antique packaging that were for sale at almost "normal" prices and no one offered me over $100 for a brick of SPP I had for sale at the show. For the record that wasn't enough to make me let them go. Would be happy to add $150 to the stash in place of those primers, might even be ok replacing the primers with $125 but not for $100, would rather have the primers than the C-note.

There was a severe case of supply not meeting demand after Sandy Hook in 2012 by the time the Pulse nightclub shooting took place in 2016 one could generally get at least primers and 1 pound bottles of powder to cover most any need. Maybe not any powder but a suitable powder. Ordering online was a hassle for a good portion of that 4 years due to not being generally able to find larger 8 pound jugs reliably in stock (more profit in 1 lb. bottles) and not finding one store with the multiple different powders one wanted to order in one go to save on hazmat and shipping. I bought plenty of powder. When Pulse came on the news I was finally ordering two 8 lb. jugs of rifle powder including Varget. When I saw the news I added some 1 pound bottles of 2400, Blue Dot and more primers as I recall. Told wife it was an early birthday present.

Prices didn't really spike, availability went down a little as I recall. But I think by then everyone was so stocked up from supplies returning after the post Sandy Hook shortage and there just wasn't much need to buy more even if one was worried. So we have had the pandemic for a full year. Things are sort of calming down from extreme high prices. I think it may well take until end of 2021 for products to be at least somewhat available at "regular" prices in retail outlets we normally shop at. Maybe not able to order everything we want in one go but will be able to get some SPP primers here and maybe a different brand of LRP at same time. Add a few pounds of desired powder but won't find all the items we want in one stop and will have to shop around and maybe eat an extra hazmat shipping fee due to having to shop at multiple retailers to get what we need.

By sometime in 2022 I think things will settle down but... that somewhat depends on either some crazy butt munch going on a shooting spree triggering a catalyst for passing more regulations. That could easily push demand up again. But not for long. If the supply exists by then we will all be stocked to the gills, if the supply is still short no one will be really able to panic buy. I guess I'm saying by one year after the pandemic gets resolved barring some incidents we should be in ok shape as far as supply goes.

Don't forget both the house and senate are very close. Seats held by Democrats in more conservative areas really can't win reelection with any gun regulations that are too extreme. The margin of majority is very small meaning stuff won't get passed if it looks like it will cost the Democrats the majority. Unfortunately I fear there are restrictions that have enough popular support that some regulations will get passed. Not sure when or how they will impact the market for firearms or ammo or reloading components. I suspect less than one might think for at least some possible changes. Buying another AR and 100 round of ammo isn't an especially effective response for increased background checks. So potentially not much impact to the market. Although one never knows. Congress introduces a bill and people do get concerned with good reason.

kevin c
03-03-2021, 04:11 AM
It doesn't matter how well stocked I might be; any gun owner living in California can't afford to be smug.

charlie b
03-03-2021, 10:08 AM
....I guess I'm saying by one year after the pandemic gets resolved barring some incidents we should be in ok shape as far as supply goes....

.....Don't forget both the house and senate are very close. Seats held by Democrats in more conservative areas really can't win reelection with any gun regulations that are too extreme. The margin of majority is very small meaning stuff won't get passed if it looks like it will cost the Democrats the majority. Unfortunately I fear there are restrictions that have enough popular support that some regulations will get passed......

This is a very good and logical assessment of the situation. My crystal ball says we will see legislation against bump stocks and maybe pistol braces as well as the mfg loophole that allows no serial number 80% receivers. Keep in mind that quite a few democrats were part of the 7million new gun owners.

FWIW, our Sportsman's is getting ammo in weekly. Usually get a bunch of 9mm and .223 in the mix. The 9mm was $12 a box if I remember right. Didn't look at the other stuff. They are also getting in their 'normal' quantities of primers, also at normal prices. The difference is now they sell out in a couple of hours instead of sitting on the shelf for a while. They have powder in stock. Maybe not the one you want but there is a 8lb jug of 700x in there that no one has bought (I already have two).

OS OK
03-03-2021, 10:18 AM
They looked at my garage and asked, "Why all the powder, bullets, primers and brass? Why not just buy the ammo you want to shoot?"

Then literally millions of people bought their first gun. And a couple boxes of ammo. 7,000,000 guns means 14,000,000 boxes of ammo. Hello ammo shortage. No ammo? "Perhaps I'll get into reloading." And there goes all the reloading supplies.

Being a reloader, I've got 10,000+ primers, bullets in all needed calibers, brass collected over the years when it carpeted the ranges and was just left there as scrap, powders by the pound, lead ingots, alloys, lead furnaces and bullet molds I've been collecting since 1979.

So now, with every supplier in America telling us, "OUT OF STOCK" just how smug are you that you are able to load and shoot at will?

I used to worry that 9mm cost me 12 cents to reload. Now it's a dollar per round to buy. Primers should be 3 cents each. If you can find them, they are 8 cents each.

You can't even find case gauges or resizing dies for sale. Even Lee shotgun slug molds are unavailable.

Seems everyone instinctively knows that when the government comes for your guns, you better be able to load your own.

How's your ability to reload going?

That answer, I think depends entirely on each individual handloader/caster.
Did they 'take heed & prepare for the future' after seeing the last shortage we had?
Them that did can do as they see fit now . . . them that didn't are out there with the 'Searchers'.

mvintx
03-03-2021, 11:27 AM
By sometime in 2022 I think things will settle down but... that somewhat depends on either some crazy butt munch going on a shooting spree triggering a catalyst for passing more regulations.

Roger that, RogerDat. More restrictive legislation is only one mass-shooting away. It's already on someone's desk, just waiting for the next tragedy.

Soundguy
03-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Last time I went to the range, the gate was closed, no explanation on the website. My unloading has been severely hampered this last year. Finished ammo sits on the reloading room floor, waiting.

With the help of members here I picked out a RSW48 22 Air Rifle. I had been hearing good things about air rifles but had no idea how good they can be. Got my own range right here. LOL

our outdoor ranges here are a joke. one lane open.. two closed. makes our handgun / rifle range only accomodate about 4 people... and those 4 get there and stay for hours...sucks..

sharps4590
03-03-2021, 12:03 PM
I don't know if smug is the correct word. I'm certainly not smug about it but, I am comfortable. In fairness, my shooting hasn't been the kind to consume hundreds of rounds an outing in a few decades. A long session for me MIGHT be 50 rounds and even that is rare and hardly ever from one firearm. Most of my shooting is development and experimenting so 20 rounds can tell me a lot of what I want to know, and take a couple hours to shoot. Bullets are no concern, cast or jacketed. I got the swaging equipment last fall and it came with thousands of jackets for 44, 357, 30, 7mm and.....aww...another caliber I have forgotten.

I don't go to ranges or the club I belong to but maybe once every 4-6 years. I honestly don't remember when the last time I was there. My range is about 30 yards out my back door. Should I feel the need shoot a lot there's always my flintlocks. I have an abundance of flints and BP is not an issue for me.

Soundguy
03-03-2021, 01:13 PM
This is a very good and logical assessment of the situation. My crystal ball says we will see legislation against bump stocks and maybe pistol braces as well as the mfg loophole that allows no serial number 80% receivers. Keep in mind that quite a few democrats were part of the 7million new gun owners.

FWIW, our Sportsman's is getting ammo in weekly. Usually get a bunch of 9mm and .223 in the mix. The 9mm was $12 a box if I remember right. Didn't look at the other stuff. They are also getting in their 'normal' quantities of primers, also at normal prices. The difference is now they sell out in a couple of hours instead of sitting on the shelf for a while. They have powder in stock. Maybe not the one you want but there is a 8lb jug of 700x in there that no one has bought (I already have two).

Bump stock legislation train already left the station..

USSR
03-03-2021, 01:47 PM
By sometime in 2022 I think things will settle down but... that somewhat depends on either some crazy butt munch going on a shooting spree triggering a catalyst for passing more regulations. That could easily push demand up again.

It also depends on which way the mid-term elections go.

Don

jim147
03-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Just under 4 million background checks in February.

MUSTANG
03-03-2021, 03:08 PM

There was NO LEGISLATION on the Bump Stock Issue. Our Spineless Supreme Court refused to hear the case. And President Trump at the time refused to direct the BATFE to cease and desist for political reasons. Instead the US Constitution was violated by our Federal Government in that:

(1) They violated the 2nd Amendment by "Infringing" on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms".
(2) They violated the 5th Amendment by "Taking Without Compensation" private property.
(3) They violated the ExPost Facto provision of the US Constitution in that they passed a "RULE" that affected legal owners of their property - and applied the "Rule" against those who had previously legally held the property (Bump Stocks).

WARNING: The Supreme Court refused to hear challenges against this blatantly Unconstitutional "Rule"; meaning that this, the challenges concerning States refusing to follow their own laws in the Last Election, and many other areas indicates that we are probably going to see Massive Problems under Bidens attempts to attack the 2nd Amendment - with history telling us the US Supreme Court will refuse to do their Job; simply saying it's a "Political" issue.

For sake of clarity - I do not, have never, and have no desire to own a Bump Stock. I DO care that our Federal Government treads on the Rights of others and our Supreme Court refuses to hear the case/s.

robg
03-03-2021, 04:46 PM
not smug ,all right very.could see it coming even over here.

gwpercle
03-03-2021, 06:21 PM
I'm Prepared ... at least a lifetime supply and a little Lagniappe for good measure .
After 2008 and 2012 I saw the handwriting on the wall .. I'm not going to get caught with my pants down ever again .
Ever 4 years ... Whoomp , there it goes ... Shortage
Gary

metricmonkeywrench
03-03-2021, 06:35 PM
I'm in the camp of not using the word smug. With my shooting style (basic recreational paper killer) i have at least maintained 1 years worth of components on hand. Though i should have known better and stocked up on basic materials i instead focused on buying casting and casting accessories to advance my hobbies capabilities.

I assume materials (particularly primers) will return and in the mean time i have curtailed my use of my .38s and 9mm and spent more quality time with my long rifles and muzzleloaders where i have more available materials available.

dtknowles
03-03-2021, 07:10 PM
When I was twenty five years old I could not afford even a years worth of ammo and components, I had two bullet molds and cast from a tiny pot on the stove with a ladle. Everything was cheaper then too. I pretty much shot up my supplies as soon as I got them. The idea that everyone should have a life time supply is an old man's idea.

At thirty years old I could have afforded a lifetime supply but I would have had to rent a storage unit to store it. I did have a stockpile, a reasonable one. Since then I have never decide to not go shooting because I did not have or did not want to use up ammo. I did buy too much .22 LR during the last shortage because people here made me worry I would run out. It is almost all still sitting on the shelf.

I have more lead than I would want to move.

Tim

onelight
03-03-2021, 07:52 PM
I am not smug at all . I think this whole mess is sad and a bad thing for America .

Edward
03-03-2021, 08:32 PM
I feel pretty good but I am worried.
I have a decent stockpile and could shoot for the next ten years or more at my current rate of fire.
The problem I have is that nagging feeling that I didn't have before.
The feeling that each shot isn't just 7 cents a trigger pull (9mm and 38sp)
That each trigger pull potentially means that's one shot closer to being out of ammo.
A feeling that I never had before.
Yes, I could load a bunch of ammo before I run out of supplies, but in the past I knew that I could just order replacements from Powder Valley and life would be good again.
I haven't purchased primers or powder in over a decade.
Last time I bought primers it was $23 per thousand for Remington Primers.
Those days are long gone.

I feel for those just now getting into shooting and reloading in general. Its the time to stock up on guns for sure, but the timing is wrong on everything else.

Those guns are no more than fence posts without ammo you know that , but perhaps we should take up (x bows) as bolts are still
available ! Me I still cast and shoot but yup this ain"t like any shortage we have seen in our life time ,and I suspect by design it is all planned out to make more fence posts :-x

lawdog941
03-03-2021, 08:32 PM
I'm not of the smug culture, just prepared after the last event. Fortunately, I had leftover powders from my old 45-70 and experiments that didn't work. I have a friend who just started reloading (he won an Emmy for Bad Timing), so I donated about 12 pounds and a small supply of LP primers to help him along. I enjoy making a difference in those that I come into contact with.

Edward
03-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Don’t be caught without water and food preps. Guns and ammo only go so far.

If you got the ammo ,you have every thing you need !

whisler
03-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Saw 30-06 and 308 at Dunham's sporting good today. Price were somewhat high but not what I would call crazy

Soundguy
03-03-2021, 09:53 PM
There was NO LEGISLATION on the Bump Stock Issue. Our Spineless Supreme Court refused to hear the case. And President Trump at the time refused to direct the BATFE to cease and desist for political reasons. Instead the US Constitution was violated by our Federal Government in that:

(1) They violated the 2nd Amendment by "Infringing" on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms".
(2) They violated the 5th Amendment by "Taking Without Compensation" private property.
(3) They violated the ExPost Facto provision of the US Constitution in that they passed a "RULE" that affected legal owners of their property - and applied the "Rule" against those who had previously legally held the property (Bump Stocks).

WARNING: The Supreme Court refused to hear challenges against this blatantly Unconstitutional "Rule"; meaning that this, the challenges concerning States refusing to follow their own laws in the Last Election, and many other areas indicates that we are probably going to see Massive Problems under Bidens attempts to attack the 2nd Amendment - with history telling us the US Supreme Court will refuse to do their Job; simply saying it's a "Political" issue.

For sake of clarity - I do not, have never, and have no desire to own a Bump Stock. I DO care that our Federal Government treads on the Rights of others and our Supreme Court refuses to hear the case/s.

Legislation vs are opinion is like arguing between something soft and brown you step in that came out the back side of a dog and certified dog poop.

End result is the same.

Garyshome
03-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Just as smug as a bug in a rug!:killingpc

jim147
03-03-2021, 10:29 PM
A friend got some .308 today for a fair price. Just need to keep searching if you need factory.

Alferd Packer
03-04-2021, 02:00 AM
Just as smug as a bug in a rug!:killingpc
I know how you feel Gary!

Johnch
03-04-2021, 02:11 AM
LOL Very Smug
As I Have powder
I have primers
I have enough Jacketed bullets for varmint hunting
I have LOTS of cast rifle and pistol bullets cast
With lots of the rifle and pistol bullets either Powder Coated or Standard lubed

I just need to get rid of these DARN Headaches AND soon at least some of the headaches will be less ( Not gone , but better )

Besides I keep getting ask to Sell cast pistol bullets
So I just Smile at them

John

trapper9260
03-04-2021, 06:11 AM
I'm Prepared ... at least a lifetime supply and a little Lagniappe for good measure .
After 2008 and 2012 I saw the handwriting on the wall .. I'm not going to get caught with my pants down ever again .
Ever 4 years ... Whoomp , there it goes ... Shortage
Gary

You got it ,thinking the same way .

762 shooter
03-04-2021, 07:18 AM
Just remember that if you are too smug, some self righteous socialist will say you are hoarding and want their fair share.

Just saying.

robg
03-04-2021, 03:31 PM
only factory rounds i use are 22 rf.

chumly2071
03-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Not smug, but temporarily comfortable, knowing my current inventory is a finite entity, and will eventually need replenishing.

onelight
03-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Not smug, but temporarily comfortable, knowing my current inventory is a finite entity, and will eventually need replenishing.
That's where i am , can run off what I have several years if I don't give to much away

W.R.Buchanan
03-04-2021, 06:19 PM
For those who are having problems finding Reloading Presses, My Tool is in stock and ready to ship.

Available in both LNL and Regular versions. It is the highest quality tool of it's type ever made and they are going out the door fast, because people are figuring out that Biden is a Commie and wants to take their guns away.

NO ammo means your gun is a club. Learn to reload now.

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy

44 flattop
03-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Probably a bit too smug for my own good, but I've shouted for years for handloaders and shooters to prepare as much as possible. If there is one thing we ALL know, it's that there will always be another panic. New shooters are exempted, however.

At this point, I could shoot a few thousand rounds for the next forty or so years before running out of primers, lead, and Unique. Heck, while moving things around in my loading room, I found 750 rounds of virgin .45-70 brass, and another 500 rounds of virgin .348. No telling what else is buried in the back of my shelves!

Johns87
03-04-2021, 08:16 PM
Not smug, but I've been reloading for over 20 years and glad I started adding inventory a few years back. About 6 months ago, I decided to get into casting and as soon as I can get a few molds, I'll feel better about making my own boolits. Unfortunately my inventory keeps taking hits since my daughter and I shoot about 20K rounds a year between training, steel shooting and plinking.

blue32
03-05-2021, 06:57 PM
I would love to blast some skeet but relegated my 28 ga to hunting only and was able to make it through rabbit season on half a box. I'm probably good on everything for another 2 years, maybe 4 at reduced shooting. I'm definitely shooting more 32-20 at the rifle range than 223 and I absolutely love the small pistol / small rifle primer compatibility.

charlie b
03-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Was at Sportsmans again this morning. Got 1000 primers for $24 (they had more than 10 bricks of different types). They also had a bottle of H110, which I have not seen for a while.

There was a bunch of ammo, 9mm at $13/box (30 or 40 boxes). .38, .357, .45 etc. Even a selection of Hornady Critical Defense in different calibers. Another I almost bought was a box of 1000 .38 158 SWC bullets, but, I have molds for my .357. Didn't look for AR or AK stuff. There is still not much in the way of bullets, but, they did seem to have some in just about every caliber. Maybe not the specific type or weight you want, but, you could get something.

This is the third week in a row that they have received their 'normal' amount of primers.

RogerDat
03-26-2021, 04:40 PM
I would love to blast some skeet but relegated my 28 ga to hunting only and was able to make it through rabbit season on half a box. I'm probably good on everything for another 2 years, maybe 4 at reduced shooting. I'm definitely shooting more 32-20 at the rifle range than 223 and I absolutely love the small pistol / small rifle primer compatibility.

Makes a good point. Many of us have a "lifetime" supply simply because if things get scarce or difficult to replace as used our consumption of them will be reduced. At 20k rounds a year it might only be a couple of years worth but if reduced to 2k rounds a year due to scarcity that same 20k rounds is 10 years. We adapt our actions to our perceived situation well much of the time.

I had never thought of the idea of a "lifetime supply" as being an old mans thing. I fear that may be correct. We are able to see how many years that might be. Are often stable in our living arrangements. Have had years to lay in supplies (or accumulate cra… I mean stuff) When I was younger man I can't see wife being thrilled if I was hauling buckets of scrap lead home. Now dear wife is just glad I'm out in the garage and out of her way for a while. :-) We are also more likely than a younger man with kids at home to have the financial resources to say "how much for all of it" when it comes to lead, gun show supplies and equipment, or estate sale. That is how I came home with a 450# barrel of printers type. When I was 30 or 40 years old I'm not sure that would have been a survivable purchase.

I also see that more and more people are noting items becoming available at "normal" prices from retail outlets. A lot of the motivation for the recent spate of purchase of firearm, ammo, and reloading components is due to the pandemic causing concern about society functioning. You toss in an election which is always good for some increase in buying due to uncertainty. Followed by Democratic party majority in Congress and holding the White House which is a reason to be concerned about firearm regulations.

The regulation that they most want as part of "common sense gun safety" is universal background checks. At least one Democratic senator has said it doesn't have enough of a carve out for selling to people you know or family for him to vote for it. Thing that it seems no one is able to get their heads around and address is what are the real situations that define the problem and how does one address those issues.

Most if not all of these high profile events have nothing about them that such a change in background check laws as is proposed would address. The firearms were legally held by someone who decided to commit a crime. Or illegally possessed. Or they killed someone and took their firearm. If having to reload the magazine after 10 shots made gun safer then the British, American, Germans and Russian firearms of WW2 would be entirely safe. A proposition that is made a mockery of by the death toll when those "low capacity" firearms were used in combat.

Real world handguns are much more likely to be involved in a homicide. People carry handguns, they have them available, they can carry them without being noticed. Again though I think one would find doing more background checks would have little impact.

I really wish reasonable gun owners could figure out laws that might help to address a very real issue of violence with firearms. Not try to pretend it doesn't exist of assume their rights supersede anyone else's rights to live in a society where there is less violent crime.

If mass shootings involve people that passed background checks or who procured the firearm illegally then more background checks can't really be expected to fix the problem of mass shootings. If the shooting could have been done with lower capacity magazines then it is safe to assume magazine capacity won't make a real difference.

I don't really have an answer that I'm sure would really work. Funding more mental health in patient facilities might be a place to start. Providing consistent penalties for crimes committed with a firearm. On the basis of society will only have to put up with that which it shows itself willing to put up with. If threatening or shooting people with a firearm insures consistent punishment as opposed to becoming a bargaining chip the prosecutor trades for guilty plea to some other charge it might actually help.

Let's face facts a whole segment of society finds firearms scary, unnecessary, and a danger to themselves and those they love. Telling them tough luck I have a right isn't addressing the situation. It does however make them easy pickings for any politician who promises to "do something" about guns. When universal background checks don't fix the problem it just means there will be an attempt to expand the regulations in a never ending cycle of further restrictions likely to fail to really make a difference.

Screwing gun owners is no difference than passing a sin tax on cigarettes. Since only 25% of the population smokes you gain more votes than you lose by taxing other things such as gasoline. Restrictions on gun owners are going to impact a minority, while pleasing at least as many who feel strongly against people owning firearms, and most of the public just won't care.

May not play well in certain districts or areas of the country but overall a majority don't mind if gun ownership get more regulations. Heck my wife doesn't really see why anyone really needs an AR (I'm not really a fan of that style rifle) however when I point out the little .22 plinking rifle she has is just as much a semi-auto and has a magazine just as the AR does she sort of listens and gets at least the idea of how to ban one without banning the other isn't straight forward. Hey we have been married for over 22 years. That she listens to me at all is a miracle of "call the Pope" proportions.

I think I missed out I could have had a small fortune if I had sold off the bulk of my supplies, keeping only my most useful powders, and drawing down primers to a year or two worth on hand. Heck I could have had a big old casting session and then sold all of my lesser molds (cough*Lee*cough) because those $20 dual cavity were going for around $150 online to the desperate or the foolish.

I'm pretty sure by another few months I could have taken those mad profits and totally restocked with 8# jugs from selling three or four 1# bottles. Oh well too lazy I guess. Prices have already dropped. Not a sure thing to find one place with what you want in stock but getting easier to find it someplace at normal retail prices if you do some looking. Doubt many are willing to pay 3x or 4x that retail price to avoid the search. It also means people become less persistent in trying to buy up stock. Once primers are available "sometimes" people will be less inclined to be on the hunt for them and snatch up any and all they find.

With the current prepper mindset based on pending breakdown of civilization, possible civil war etc. Combined with push to enact restrictions and regulations unlikely to address the situation we are all as someone said one nut job away from the next round of shortages and ever more restrictions. So you buys it now or maybe do without later. And yes I am old enough to use phrases like "lifetime supply" as a goal.

stubshaft
03-26-2021, 07:33 PM
In my neck of the woods, there are very few charcoal burners around so caps are still available. If those dry out i have a relatively large stock of holy black for my flintlocks and if that runs out, I have my air rifles.

bisleyfan41
03-27-2021, 07:33 PM
I really wish reasonable gun owners could figure out laws that might help to address a very real issue of violence with firearms. Not try to pretend it doesn't exist of assume their rights supersede anyone else's rights to live in a society where there is less violent crime.

Reasonable gun owners don't need to come up with laws that address the issue. The laws are already there. They are either not enforced, plead out in court, or dropped in exchange for cooperation. Then criminals are let out of jail early, either out of "compassion" or lately to reduce the spread of covid in facilities. Enforce existing laws, lock up felons who use guns illegally, and keep them there. That's the recipe for success. New laws won't be any more effective against felons because existing ones aren't enforced, only the law-abiding lose.

The other thing that bothers me and ALL GUN OWNERS NEED TO GRASP is the gun control agenda has nothing to do with crime or violence or safety or felons or unicorns. Statistics bear this out; no gun control bill has ever reduced crime and never will. That's what the antis use to sell it to the uninformed masses, gun owners or not. Gun control is all about disarming the American population to take away any resistance to big govt control and power. Disarm the people, then do whatever you wish to them. The federal govt hates the Bill of Rights because it tells them what they cannot do to us and the ONLY teeth in the BOR is the 2nd Amendment. Until/unless we quit accepting the false narrative that the antis are only fighting for safety or crime or safe streets, we will lose. They want 100% disarmament of 100% of the people and they will not stop until they reach that goal. And when they do, America is done.

Scrounge
03-27-2021, 09:21 PM
Reasonable gun owners don't need to come up with laws that address the issue. The laws are already there. They are either not enforced, plead out in court, or dropped in exchange for cooperation. Then criminals are let out of jail early, either out of "compassion" or lately to reduce the spread of covid in facilities. Enforce existing laws, lock up felons who use guns illegally, and keep them there. That's the recipe for success. New laws won't be any more effective against felons because existing ones aren't enforced, only the law-abiding lose.

The other thing that bothers me and ALL GUN OWNERS NEED TO GRASP is the gun control agenda has nothing to do with crime or violence or safety or felons or unicorns. Statistics bear this out; no gun control bill has ever reduced crime and never will. That's what the antis use to sell it to the uninformed masses, gun owners or not. Gun control is all about disarming the American population to take away any resistance to big govt control and power. Disarm the people, then do whatever you wish to them. The federal govt hates the Bill of Rights because it tells them what they cannot do to us and the ONLY teeth in the BOR is the 2nd Amendment. Until/unless we quit accepting the false narrative that the antis are only fighting for safety or crime or safe streets, we will lose. They want 100% disarmament of 100% of the people and they will not stop until they reach that goal. And when they do, America is done.

Exactly right. John Lott told us years ago how to reduce crime. "More Guns, Less Crime". Make it down right UNSAFE to go out and start shooting people. Arm and train everyone. We also need to drag all the politicians who want to disarm us out of their offices, and stuff them back in their homes with only themselves for their own security. I blasted my senators for voting to confirm Merrick Garland. They want another vote from me, they're going to have to bend over backwards and do some serious 2nd Amendment-friendly stuff before the next election. And if they can't figure out how to block passage of anti-2nd Amendment laws while they're still there, they better get used to the idea of going back to private life. And they may need to move out of state to do that.

dtknowles
03-27-2021, 10:44 PM
Seems like two political posts in a row.

Tim

Oaks&Pines
03-27-2021, 11:01 PM
I learned from the obummer years and started stocking then. Also got myself a C&R as I saw it as a way to stick it to the "man". Best $10 a year you can spend, pays for itself many times over.
When the .22 shortage hit I was already into Sheridan's .20 and got all my nieces and nephews shooting them and made sure each of my brothers had one (I gave away 5 rifles and pellets for each) My Nieces can all just about out shoot me with open sights (getting old I guess)

I dont shoot as much as I would like too, Covid has not given me any free time, actually been working more hours. But do have the supplies and resources to if the opportunity presents itself.
I stop at the local GS 4-5 days a week after work (2 Miles away) to check on inventory. have been able to pick up Primers (SR) and powder and even .223 and 9 mm bullets.
I have a couple of hundred pounds of lead in the garage and molds for what I shoot and am now looking for others to provide for my younger brothers, Dads turning 80 this year and is slowing down but I still have enough .22s and .20 pellets for him although he doesn't do much pumping anymore at his age.

Got a can for my pistols on order so I can shoot whenever without bugging the neighbors too much, so won't have to worry about finding range time.

Seems like the worlds just getting crazier all the time.
Helps a person sleep at night not having to worry about protecting yourself and your family.

Wouldn't call myself a prepper but was always taught to be prepared for what ever.

M-Tecs
03-27-2021, 11:05 PM
Thanks bisleyfan41 and Scrounge for excellent well thought out posts.

As to being political I much prefer to know my friends, to know my enemies and my enemies appeasers.

The Neville Chamberlain's and the Vichy France types are always supremely confident that compromise is the savior. History always proves how wrong their supreme confidence was.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/vichy-government-france-world-war-ii-willingly-collaborated-nazis-180967160/

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/munich.html

FLINTNFIRE
03-27-2021, 11:27 PM
I to prefer to know who is a patriot and has common sense as well as knowing my enemies and the appeasers who so often are the enemy as well , I am not smug about what I have as I believe that everyone should be as prepared as some here are , I will not seek common ground with those who wish to enforce their will upon me and leave me defenseless , as the false narrative of common sense and violence has entered in to the thread .

I have not seen any prices coming down on supplies , and there is a big shortage of ammo , prices are higher , and supplies are non existent or limited , I am not buying with the little to no selection and the high price , on the other hand I have bought some brass for a oddball caliber , and ordered some from Starline , with the 45 colt and the 45-70 orders filled , I am waiting on some others to be shipped .

There are enough laws , in fact to many on the books , punish the criminals , the answer is no reduced sentence , do their time and or hang them high , leave the law abiding citizens their means to defense .

M-Tecs
03-27-2021, 11:46 PM

https://www.gunpowdermagazine.com/appeals-court-bump-stock-ban-illegal/

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/03/sixth-circuit-court-rules-bump-stocks-are-not-machine-guns/#axzz6qHhMZz1u

Tar Heel
03-28-2021, 11:08 AM
Knowing that I have 350,000 rounds of ammo and the ability to make another 450,000 rounds of ammo and having the ability to take on the entire CHICOM empire single-handed is in fact..........a fantasy.

Whether I have 30 rounds of ammo or 300,000 rounds of ammo and knowing that if they want you, they will get you........is reality. Dare I mention drones with A/G missiles?

I would be more smug knowing I had a reliable fresh water source and the ability to eat.

M-Tecs
03-28-2021, 02:52 PM
and knowing that if they want you, they will get you........is reality.

That works both ways.

Knowing who "they" are is helpful. They are about half of congress. The House has 435 members and the Senate is 100 plus 2 in the Elective branch. So the reality is "they" are about 268 individuals. "They" understand that. Why do you think "they" put razor wire and solders around themselves????? Same for loyalty tests for the military and LE???

Also "they" have very limited support by the rank and file military and LE. "They" are given power by the useful idiots that vote for them and the appeaser that look away or actively seek "compromise" .

Hint to the appeasers "compromise" is when both side give something. "Capitulation" is when one side gives and receives nothing in return. That's what the left and their appeaser are doing with "common sense gun control"

We're at the same point Germany was in 1933 and the left is using the same play book. While the left is using the same play book with ultimately the same goals and end results the left and their appeasers are nothing more than useful idiots being played by China.

Once China is done with them they will be cast aside like the used toilet paper they are.

Garyshome
03-28-2021, 03:47 PM
Still looking to pick up some brass to re fill a few of my brass silo's:drinks:

Tar Heel
03-28-2021, 03:51 PM
We're at the same point Germany was in 1933 and the left is using the same play book.

My friends in Germany have pointed this out to me. They have written "you guys are where we were in 1938. We all know how that worked out. Good luck."

M-Tecs
03-28-2021, 04:05 PM
My friends in Germany have pointed this out to me. They have written "you guys are where we were in 1938. We all know how that worked out. Good luck."

Same. I have a friend that was forced into being part of the Hitler youth. Him and his family fled in 1940. They came to the US sometime after the war. He is currently in the hospital and his days are very numbered but I talk to him daily.

perotter
03-28-2021, 08:06 PM

There was a neighbor back home who was in he Waffen SS during WW2 who told us that in 1968. But that certainly didn't match. When one looks at the similarities, one also has to look at the differences. Think 10 things the same, but 2 less obvious things different can make all the difference in the world.

Plus one needs to look a Cuba and Fidel. Fidel, Che and most will say that they overthrew Cuban government with a guerilla force. But what happened is while they lived in the mountains, the various other anti government forces fought both the government and each other until Fidel was the last man standing. So one also has to be very careful of popularly held believes.

But we aren't in a good situation and one should look at the history of other similar situations.

charlie b
03-28-2021, 08:29 PM
China is 'playing' the right just as much as the left. We, the consumers, are the true enablers of China's rise in influence and allowing them to hold so much of the US debt. Unless more US mfgs choose to move their business to other countries China will continue to rise. At least some of them are doing that now, mainly due to the issues with intellectual property rights.

thompsonm1a1
03-28-2021, 09:03 PM
our commie government in Canada are trying to take all our guns from us and pay us nothing for them. I am a 12-3 collector and have several mg in my collection and my days of keeping them are numbered if the laws they are trying to push through, I am done. they are also trying to take all the handguns from us and leave us with very little to use. the rcmp is almost as bad as our commie leader so we do not stand much of a chance. fight to keep your guns as that is your right in the usa.

blackthorn
03-29-2021, 12:29 PM
our commie government in Canada are trying to take all our guns from us and pay us nothing for them. I am a 12-3 collector and have several mg in my collection and my days of keeping them are numbered if the laws they are trying to push through, I am done. they are also trying to take all the handguns from us and leave us with very little to use. the rcmp is almost as bad as our commie leader so we do not stand much of a chance. fight to keep your guns as that is your right in the usa.

Just so! And they are doing it to us by using an "order in council" that bypasses debate of any kind in the Legislature. Add to that the stated admiration for China's ability to control its citizens, espoused by our Prime Idiot and members of his party and if we aint scared yet we sure should be!

mvintx
03-30-2021, 10:31 AM
I am not smug at all . I think this whole mess is sad and a bad thing for America .

Amen brother

ddixie884
04-06-2021, 04:09 PM
I'm trying to not feel smug, but it is hard................

justindad
04-06-2021, 07:13 PM
I have what I need, but did not see this shortage coming (it’s my first). Honestly, I don’t want to see the next one coming either. Watching the news is like drinking a glass of poison with no antidote.