PDA

View Full Version : Flexi Lube max velocities

The Old Salt
02-28-2021, 11:58 PM
I once read about Flexi lube preventing leading to higher velocities. Now I can not find the source. So ... I give up. I'll just ask here.

What kinds of velocities is anyone getting with wheel weight boolits lubed with Flexi lube and not having leading issues?

I'm casting what I call "Enhanced Wheel Weights" I add 1 oz of 60/40 lead tin solder to lb of wheel weights.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2021, 10:54 AM
what's Flexi lube?

Rcmaveric
03-01-2021, 11:01 AM
I think he ment Felix Lube. Auto correct might have got him.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

greenjoytj
03-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Felix Lube, a homemade soap lube.

It the small batch size that put me off giving it a try. Also I don’t think it’s a black powder lube.

Murphy
03-01-2021, 08:02 PM
All one could want to know about Felix lube, can be found in the link below. Felix Robbin's was a fine gentleman. I had the pleasure of visiting him in his home and called on him for advice many times.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?543-Felix-Lube-the-Short-Version

Murphy

rbuck351
03-01-2021, 08:21 PM
I don't know how fast you can use felix lube. I believe it depends on several factors but I'm using it in a 35rem at 2200 with accuracy and no leading

The Old Salt
03-02-2021, 12:39 AM
Thanks to all for your answers. Not Auto Correct Rcmaveric. Just an old bifocaled dyslectic guy who likes to shoot. I might not be able to spell target but I can hit em.
2200 FPS with a 35 Rem. Pretty good. rbuck are you using gas checks too?
I just shoot lead in my pistols and I don't have anything that gets anywhere near 2200 fps.

Murphy
03-02-2021, 01:57 AM
The Old Salt,

If all you're planning to use Felix Lube for is handgun shooting? I don't think you'll have any problems with Felix's lube working just fine. I will say this, if you decide to make a batch of Felix lube and you wind up with leading in your pistols? You have problems other than Felix lube. I fired many magnum loads both .357 & .44's and never had any leading issues. One word of warning though. Felix lube tended to leave my guns feeling a little tacky from the residue it leaves behind. All in all, I've tried more lubes over my 35+ years of casting and loading my own than I can remember. I've yet to find a lube that didn't leave a little something behind. On the other hand, I never have minded cleaning my guns after a fun time of shooting. Ahhhhhhh, the wonderful smell of Hoppe's #9.

Murphy

rbuck351
03-02-2021, 03:18 AM
Yeah gc on the rcbs 358 200gr with wcww. That was using a full jacketed bullet load of IMR 3031 in a very old M8 Rem. I like the smell of Hoppes #9 but the wife hates it so I have to use it in the garage.

Buy the way MURPHY are you the same MURPHY that used to be on the Alaska Outdoor Forum a few years back?

Murphy
03-02-2021, 02:20 PM
rbuck351,

Nothing like being out back in my man cave, the music rollin' out oldies, the room reeking of Hoppe's #9 and a gun that needs scrubbing. I have walked in the house to hear the wife say, what have you been....never mind. She knows the smell of Hoppe's #9 and knows a quart bottle is always a safe bet for a gift for me.

I'd not heard of the Alaska Outdoor Forum before. So no Sir, not the same Murphy.

Murphy

mainiac
05-05-2021, 08:43 PM
The Old Salt,

If all you're planning to use Felix Lube for is handgun shooting? I don't think you'll have any problems with Felix's lube working just fine. I will say this, if you decide to make a batch of Felix lube and you wind up with leading in your pistols? You have problems other than Felix lube. I fired many magnum loads both .357 & .44's and never had any leading issues. One word of warning though. Felix lube tended to leave my guns feeling a little tacky from the residue it leaves behind. All in all, I've tried more lubes over my 35+ years of casting and loading my own than I can remember. I've yet to find a lube that didn't leave a little something behind. On the other hand, I never have minded cleaning my guns after a fun time of shooting. Ahhhhhhh, the wonderful smell of Hoppe's #9.

Murphy

I feel the same way!!!����

mainiac
05-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Ive run felix lube up to 2500 f.p.s,,in .222,,,with no leading issues.

high standard 40
05-05-2021, 09:27 PM
I've pushed a 7BR to about 2200 fps with no fouling at all.