PDA

View Full Version : Leather holster care

para45lda
02-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Poking around in the store room today turned up an old Ruger flap holster.

It's in good shape but VERY dry and on the verge of being too stiff.

I'm hoping some of our leather guys can point me in the right direction to bringing it back.

Thanks in advance

Wes

Wheelgun
02-27-2021, 09:02 PM
The very best is Lexol Leather Conditioner, it’s formulated to soften and preserve leather while not harming stitching. It won’t gunk up, dries soft and smooth and won’t darken the leather.

I like Neetsfoot oil, make sure 100% natural. The other has petroleum products added and is detriment to leather and to the stitching. But too much, too many coats will darken the leather quickly.

If you don’t want it darker, stick will the Lexol Leather Conditioner

Bazoo
02-27-2021, 09:27 PM
I'll second lexol. I used it on a dry rotted knife sheath, without much hope, and it brought it back! The cracks from rot were present, but the remaining leather became pliable and firm like new. I was impressed.

para45lda
02-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Thanks!!

I'll check it out

Wes

monadnock#5
03-02-2021, 12:45 AM
I don't know about Lexol but if you use Neatsfoot Oil be careful that you don't saturate the leather. A little goes a long way.

para45lda
03-02-2021, 11:25 PM
Report: Lexol worked very well. I used part 2 as the holster itself wasn't really dirty. I did wipe it vigorously with a slightly damp cloth just because.

It brought it back to almost new as far as looks and flexibility of the flap.

Thanks again for your help!

Wes

AndyC
03-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Ballistol - cares for leather and cleans guns. Smells a little odd to most people at first, kind of anise/liquorice.

John Boy
03-06-2021, 11:09 PM
Ballistol would be the last product to use on leather, it contains an acid salt. .. Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds.

M-Tecs
03-06-2021, 11:37 PM
I have a lot of money invested in gun leather so I went the safe route with commercial products designed specifically for gun leather. There may be more cost effective options but my Galco Holster Care kit will not give me any suprises. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/101376223?pid=949685&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Holsters+%26+Belts&utm_content=949685&cnxclid=16150883356982151755910070302008005

Some do's and don'ts

https://1791gunleather.com/blog-how-to-break-in-preserve-your-leather-holster/#:~:text=A%20little%20care%20can%20go%20a%20long%2 0way,Conditioner%20or%20Fiebing%E2%80%99s%20Foamin g%20Saddle%20Soap%20very%20sparingly.

What NOT To Do:
We do NOT recommend using a lubricant like spray silicone or Leather Lightning to grease up the inside of your holster. You don’t want a gun slippery as it may slide out of the holster unintentionally. Beyond that, you don’t want to tarnish the finish of your firearm. The interiors of our holsters are hand-finished to protect your pistol’s bluing.

Want A Leather Holster That’ll Last A Lifetime?
1791 Gunleather holsters are made to last forever. A little care can go a long way in preserving the quality.

Leather Holster Care Do’s:
Use warm water and glycerin soap or Leather Lotion to remove impurities with a smooth finish.
Most leather holsters should only be cleaned with soap once every three to four months.
You may clean your holster with Bick 4 Conditioner or Fiebing’s Foaming Saddle Soap very sparingly.
Wipe off sweat, dust, dirt, or blood with a soft towel.
Stubborn dirt or stains can be gently scrubbed with a soft-bristled brush.
Maintain a layer of clothing between you and the holster to minimize perspiration.
If the leather has dampened, place the holster in a dry place to allow for natural air-drying.
Store your leather holster in a cool, dry location, wrapped in a soft cotton cloth or in the original box.
Minor cosmetic scratches will come off by rubbing olive, baby, or saddle oil into the scratch with a Q-tip.
Apply rubbing alcohol in a circular motion to minimize the appearance of deeper scratches.

Leather Holster Care Don’ts:
Do not leave your holster on the car dash or expose it to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
Do not store your holster in the trunk of the car, an outdoor shed, the garage, or an attic.
Do not submerge your holster in water or any other liquid.
Do not use mink oil, Neat’s oil, or leather conditioner, which will soften and distort the molding.
Do not dry your holster with a hair dryer, radiator, oven, or laundry machine.
Do not store your holster within reach of your dog who may mistake it for a rawhide chew.

Krag 1901
03-16-2021, 08:55 PM
The very best is Lexol Leather Conditioner, it’s formulated to soften and preserve leather while not harming stitching. It won’t gunk up, dries soft and smooth and won’t darken the leather.

I like Neetsfoot oil, make sure 100% natural. The other has petroleum products added and is detriment to leather and to the stitching. But too much, too many coats will darken the leather quickly.

If you don’t want it darker, stick will the Lexol Leather Conditioner

Where would I get the Lexol? I have a couple of Safariland holsters lined with soft leather and brown basket weave, plus gun belt. They are getting old and probably dry. I'd like to keep them up.

Plus I found an inherited holster that fits my Colt Police positive and it is VERY dry! Its a cheap holster but I'd like to keep it as it was from a old family friend.

para45lda
03-16-2021, 09:01 PM
I got mine at O Reilly

smithnframe
03-16-2021, 10:05 PM
I use Neatsfoot oil on leather.

AZ Pete
03-16-2021, 10:33 PM
Lexol. That is what we used on all of our horse tack in AZ, great stuff for leather cleaning and conditioning.

Buy the spray bottle at WalMart in the auto department.

Wheelgun
03-16-2021, 11:11 PM
I get the Lexol Leather Conditioner from farm stores like Atwoods or Tractor Supply. Walmart sometimes has it back with the shoes. Tandy has it sometimes, also a tack shop should have it.

- I’ll have to check and see if our Walmart has the spray bottle in the auto area. That would be very handy.

John Wayne
03-17-2021, 10:48 AM
So far this has not been mentioned...don't squeeze or crush a holster. The pistol shape was created by wetting the leather with water around an exact mold of your pistol and then allowing to dry. The first thing many people do when looking at a new holster is squeeze it, please don't do that.

AZ Pete
03-17-2021, 02:21 PM
the reason I prefer Lexol to Neatsfoot Oil is that neatsfoot will soften the leather...it will also let the leather stretch, in my experience.