PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885 Question

Bigslug
02-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Does yours go to full cock on opening like the originals, or is it lawyerized, requiring a manual thumbing back to fire? Seems like at least the set-trigger versions have been put together that way.

Kraschenbirn
02-27-2021, 06:58 PM
I've got three Ubertis and a Pedersoli...3 Highwalls and a Low Wall...all drop to half-cock on closing.

Bill

AntiqueSledMan
02-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Hello Bigslug,

I have 2 Uberti's and one original.
Both Uberti's rest on half cock and the original rests at full cock.
I wouldn't call it "Lawyerized", just a safety feature.
It doesn't bother me to pull the hammer back.
I guess if it were a repeater, I'd not like it.

AntiqueSledMan.

Bigslug
02-28-2021, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I needed.

Bummer. No Italian .357 in my future then. The Martini-ish ability of the original to stuff, close, and shoot was the main appeal of the concept. Marlin lever gun it is then.:sad:

BlackpowderSweden
05-15-2021, 08:51 AM
My Uberti 1885 40-65 was also half-cock at closing from the beginning.
Also impossible to take out the block down for cleaning, the hammer hits the lower tang.
Compared it to my original Winchester 1885 Highwall, and grinded away some metal on the lower tang.
Now I can take out the block with hammer downwards.
Side effect, it cocks to full cock on closing.
The block goes lower on opening and ejects the cases, does not snag on the hammer anymore.
Win-win solution :D

marlinman93
05-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Originals started out staying at full cock when closing, and later were changed also. So these newer guns aren't really a change from what Win. switched to either.

BlackpowderSweden
05-16-2021, 04:36 PM
Originals started out staying at full cock when closing, and later were changed also. So these newer guns aren't really a change from what Win. switched to either.

The late Winchesters have a fly in the hammer to jump the fullcock.
The Ubertis simply stop the stroke so you dont reach full cock.

bolivor
05-16-2021, 05:14 PM
the fly in the hammer is for a set triggeg,the standard trigger doesn't have a fly