PDA

View Full Version : Casting for the AK

Wilson
12-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm interested in casting bullets for an AK. Has anyone done this? I only have wheel weights.
Also, I'd like to produce low cost loads for close range practice, 50 yards and under. I'd like to use a 6 cavity Lee to produce many bullets quickly. Is there a specific mold you can recommend?
Do you know of any sources of 7.62x39 reloadable brass?
As always, thanks for your suggestions.

ronbo
12-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I have used a Lyman 130 grain pointed plain base cast bullet for the AK sized .310 Don't reload for the AK anymore but that same bullet works well for the 30 carbine also. Brass is made by Winchester and have used some PMC brand.

Wilson
12-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Looks like I got this in the wrong forum. Rats! I don’t know how to move it. Sorry.

Chad G
12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm interested in casting bullets for an AK. Has anyone done this? I only have wheel weights.
Also, I'd like to produce low cost loads for close range practice, 50 yards and under. I'd like to use a 6 cavity Lee to produce many bullets quickly. Is there a specific mold you can recommend?

Brass:
check gunbroker, be careful not to pay too much for the once fired brass.

lunicy
12-27-2008, 11:23 AM
right this second, 7.62x39 brass is going for a pretty penny. Everyone Is worried about the upcoming administration enacting a ban or laws on "assault weapon ammo"

You can find it out there, but there are guys who will take advantage of the situation and gouge you.

regarding a ban or limits, take which belief you want. (I know I have my 7.62 brass and ammo)

GabbyM
12-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Lee makes two bullets for the 7.62 x 39. Sadly they are only in two cavity varieties.
I'd say they are your best option for an AK.
In a bolt or single shot gun where mag length isn't a concern any 303 brit or fat 30 will work.
You also need a pointed bullet to feed through an AK. Several 30 calibers would work if they would cast a .312" bullet.

yodar
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM

The Lee 311-155-2R is an excellent mold and NOT available in 6 cavity unless you pay the freight

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1229/6309647/12253703/233048100.jpg

I produce enough with their dinky lil mold to suit my needs but group buy attempts for a 6 cavity have failed. The bullet is GC but I don't use gas checks unless problems develop.

Brass? Graff & Sons is likely to have it. Midway has it for $42/C . I bought Lapua from them a while back for $22/C now the price has doubled

My recommendations is to take a REEEL BRIGHT penlight to the range and scrounge brass and use it to see the two Berdan primer holes to reject brass

Lay out a tarp where you shoot and recover your brass. It IS valuable

yodar