PDA

View Full Version : Made some .32 Ballard Extra Long from 327 Federal Magnum

ndnchf
02-26-2021, 10:37 PM
I was asked about how I make .32 Ballard Extra Long for my #2 rolling block that was originally 32 XL rimfire. The 32 Ballard XL is simply the centerfire equivalent. I'll say right up front that using 25-20 Single Shot brass is the easiest way to go. But this brass is quite scarce also. So I thought I'd show how I make it from commonly available 327 Federal Magnum brass. I'm sure there are other ways, perhaps better. This is just how I do it.
First trim the 327 to 32 Ballard XL length, say 1.115". Then lube well with Imperial sizing wax and run it into a 32 S&W long sizer, then into a Lee .314" push through bullet sizer (yes, a bullet sizer!, it makes a great sizing die). Working it slowly up and down, rotating the cases as you go. I cut some off the bottom of my .314” sizer die to allow the case to be sized down close to the rim. After it is sized, it will have a belt just ahead of the rim. I make a hollow, press fit plug for the case mouth, then set it in the lathe with a live center in the primer pocket. I turn the belt off and some of the body area so it is a uniform .316” diameter.
The case neck needs to be thinned a little. This can either be done on the lathe or using a neck reamer. I had Forster make me a .299” neck reamer for my trimmer, just for this purpose, so that’s what I use. The bullet’s heel is .150” long, so I ream the case about .175” deep. After this I run it back through the .314” sizer and do a funal trim to length. Then its ready to load.

cwtebay
02-27-2021, 12:40 AM
Nicely done! I don't have a rifle for this, but truly respect your effort and ingenuity!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ndnchf
02-27-2021, 06:10 AM
Thanks. Old 32 XL rimfire rifles are not as common as the shorter 32 rimfire. But the process is the same for either. Depending on the final length needed, 32 H&R magnum or 32 S&W can be used too.

BTW, 32 Ballard XL is ballistically very similar to 32-20, but uses a heel bullet.