PDA

View Full Version : internal ballistics video

Phantom30
02-26-2021, 08:46 PM
has any body seen an internal ballistics video which shows the dynamics of obturation of a cast bullet with and without gas check and or powder coating. Looking for the science not rules of thumb. My thumbs are sore enough already.

Rcmaveric
02-26-2021, 10:32 PM
There aren't any. What the barrel and action be made of to get this video? That's the problem. The 60,000 to 80,000 psi is a too much for even polycarbonate and that doesn't account for heat.

Slow motion video isn't as good as you think either. Its come along ways though. You can still bearly catch and see bullet in flight.

Closest I have seen is slow mo videos of poly carbonate silencers. They only last a couple shots though. You barely see the bullet.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

MUSTANG
02-27-2021, 12:06 AM
If one tried to make a video of an internal ballistic event - and it were possible - I would think a 1950's -1960's Nuke Test Video would visually simulate what one might see inside the Brass case and barrel if it were rotated 90°.

John Boy
02-27-2021, 03:10 PM
A deep pile of sawdust or a snow bank will give you a true obturation picture of the bullet with all that you want to see: with and without a GC and PC’ed. Let us all know the results with bullet pictures