PDA

View Full Version : rcbs summit

porthos
02-26-2021, 11:48 AM
any advantage of a rcbs summit over the rock chucker??

Loudy13
02-26-2021, 12:24 PM
I believe it mounts on top of the table and doesn't hang over the side.

Conditor22
02-26-2021, 12:49 PM
The front is open giving easy/unobstructed access to the shell-holder.

rayh
02-26-2021, 04:24 PM
I bought one of the Red, White, and Blue versions. It's a very nice press. IF you don't have any shoulder problems. The head of the press is heavy to push back up. My shoulder let go after 15-20 cases. I thought it would be like my old Hollywood but sadly isn't. I even got the short handle thinking it would help.

country gent
02-26-2021, 10:12 PM
I have one and like it. Its pros are mounts on top of the bench no overhang, shell holder is out in the open and can be set up for where you want it easily. Its a heavy press, the ram is solid steel round stock. Has the die bushing to use the 1 1/2" dies. Decent primer catcher. easy to see whats going on. It also has a zerk fitting on the column to lubricate it.

The cons I have found. primer catcher is small when loading large batches, could use a little more leverage at times, threading dies in between the links is tight. and like the coax collet pullers file and trim dies arent usable.

I use mine mostly for BPCR rounds ( 44-40 - 45-90) and small batches

David2011
02-28-2021, 07:16 PM
The Summit floats and aligns over the case by design. Gavintoobe (Ultimate Reloader) on YouTube included both the RC and the Summit in an extensive press test. The concentricity of the Summit was outstanding.

If you don’t have a conventional single stage press I wouldn’t recommend the Summit as your only single stage. It’s a great reloading press but it’s not a general purpose press. Using a collet bullet puller in it, for example, is a royal PITA. I feel more comfortable sizing difficult brass in the RC over the Summit. I have Hornady LnL bushings in both the RC and Summit so dies can be swapped between them quickly and easily. I mostly use the Summit for seating bullets.

I took a spare press handle and shortened it for seating and decapping where little leverage is needed.

GWS
03-01-2021, 02:36 AM
I have both an RC II and a Summit. Love them both, they compliment each other wonderfully. The point is, two singles is always more fun than one. The footprint is smaller on the Summit....and makes it a #1 pick for taking it to the cabin or the range......but I don't. Just have it mounted next to the RC.

When Lee came out with their APP, I got one of those too! I thought wow! If I could mod my Summit to do all that what a superior APP that would be. ;) Right now, I'm really happy to have all three to compliment each other.

Taterhead
03-02-2021, 01:28 PM
David nailed it above. The Summit is a great press, but is not the one you want for a sole single stage. The linkage interferes with things we like to do above the press like pulling bullets and bullet sizing.

I really like the Summit. Would recommend getting the priming catch retrofit from Entirely Crimson. It sends primers down a tube and into the receptacle of your choosing.

I regret selling mine. Here is a pic with the primer catch, a nice machined aluminum piece.

https://i.postimg.cc/bNLBcJY7/20181216-165911.jpg