PDA

View Full Version : Different way to remove berdan primers????

abunaitoo
02-26-2021, 03:09 AM
I was thinking, sometimes not a good thing, about a different way to remove berdan primers the first time.
After the first time being removed, they are much easier after that.
Water sometimes doesn't work. They need to be pried out. What a pain.
Could they be remover with a small explosion???
Full length Lee die with the decapper removed.
Rig up a chamber to screw into the threaded hole.
The chamber would have something to make a spark and hold the solution.
I was thinking alcohol.
Put it in a press, hit the igniter and "POP" the primer would come out.
Think it would work?????

ameenkitekar
02-26-2021, 05:03 AM
Have you tried it?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Traffer
02-26-2021, 05:58 AM
Maybe a diesel type tool...Like a fire starter only with a bit of diesel fuel that would ignite when hit with a hammer...But then why not use water...much easier. And Water will get5 them out. If the tool is made correct and you hit it hard enough it will knock out even a crimped military primer.

john.k
02-26-2021, 06:39 AM
Actually ,water always works ....maybe not in a home made setup,but all the commercial Berdan reloaders used soapy water......for a number of reasons ......the only way a primer wouldnt come out is if it was pierced,and this was checked by a probe on the machine that threw it into the scrap bin.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-26-2021, 07:44 AM
There are a couple of videos on U-tube that show Berdan primers being removed very efficiently using water, a reloading press, and an M die. The cases are partially filled with water, run into the press, and the primers pop right out. It is kind of messy and a bucket is placed beneath the press to catch the water. The equipment needs a good drying off afterwards, so if you're going to do some do a lot of them!

DG

Garyshome
02-26-2021, 07:49 AM
Water worked for me! It was a mess though.

Stewbaby
02-26-2021, 08:39 AM
The squirrel daddy hardened pins in a Lee universal decapper will do it...but you then have three holes lol

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210226/78a197ac55bc981b9d938773024904e8.jpg

Traffer
02-26-2021, 09:57 AM
How easy do you need it to be?

https://youtu.be/PQ0GPSE30BM

rbuck351
02-26-2021, 01:44 PM
I tried the hydraulic way once. It worked on some, on others it was kind of like fire forming without a chamber. It actually blew the neck/shoulder several calibers larger. Enough pressure to expand the neck and shoulder but still not removing the primer. Not to mention the nasty spray of water everywhere. Did not try using my press and a FL die and hammering a punch through the top of the die as I'm not subjecting my loading equipment to water on purpose.

I decided modifying berdan brass to shotgun primers, although labor intensive, means I only have to do it once per case.

abunaitoo
02-26-2021, 07:34 PM
Haven't tried it yet.
I just thought that if I had thought of it, someone else smarter than me, must have.
Never thought of trying soapy water.
It just might make a better seal.
I will try it.
Some berdan just will not come out with the water.

john.k
02-26-2021, 07:47 PM
In a reloading process,soapy water has a number of desirable properties...... soap is a good HP sizing lubricant,soapy water washes out the cases in the next stage of the reloading,and soapy water doesnt rust the machines......After depriming and washing,the cases were passed by a visual check for damaged anvils ,and still primed cases ,then on to the neck annealing stage,which dries the cases.

Traffer
02-26-2021, 09:46 PM
I tried the hydraulic way once. It worked on some, on others it was kind of like fire forming without a chamber. It actually blew the neck/shoulder several calibers larger. Enough pressure to expand the neck and shoulder but still not removing the primer. Not to mention the nasty spray of water everywhere. Did not try using my press and a FL die and hammering a punch through the top of the die as I'm not subjecting my loading equipment to water on purpose.

I decided modifying berdan brass to shotgun primers, although labor intensive, means I only have to do it once per case.

There are two different ways to do hydraulic depriming....One is to put water in the case and then hit a plug into the mouth of the case...THAT WILL deform the case. But the kind of hydraulic depriming on the video uses a tube to place the case into....That causes the pressure on the outside of the case to be the same as on the inside...therefore NO DEFORMATION OCCURS.

webfoot10
02-26-2021, 10:27 PM
I use the rcbs berdan decapper to decap berdan cases. Once adjusted works just about
as fast as decaping boxer cases with my press. Only ones I've had trouble with are the
french lebel cases with the crimped in primers.

jcduchock
02-26-2021, 10:38 PM
If you can find one of these, it make decapping berdan primers so much easier. Fill it with water and one or two good hits with a hammer. Unfortunately, I can't find another one or the other attachments.

fiberoptik
02-27-2021, 03:24 AM
How easy do you need it to be?

https://youtu.be/PQ0GPSE30BM

Man I was wondering what was wrong with me; I couldn’t make out what was written!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
02-27-2021, 04:17 AM
If you can find one of these, it make decapping berdan primers so much easier. Fill it with water and one or two good hits with a hammer. Unfortunately, I can't find another one or the other attachments.

What is it????
Looking kind of a zerk fitting unclogger.

hotrod13
02-27-2021, 07:31 AM
https://youtu.be/oWagF9-pyb0

jcduchock
02-27-2021, 04:14 PM
What is it????
Looking kind of a zerk fitting unclogger.

I'll if I can get a video of it. Fill the big end with water and screw the cap back on. Little end goes inside the case. A few whacks with a hammer and it forces water down to pop out the primer. I have some 7.62x38mm I need to deprime. I'll video it and post it later this weekend.

john.k
02-27-2021, 04:59 PM
As Traffer says,a hydraulic deprimer should not be a sizing die.....it only needs a tight fit on the case in the base zone.....this can be either at the sides ,or using the base to seal against a flat surface.....The tapered side is usually more effective.Pressure is then equalized everywhere but the base ,and primer pocket....Using water in a press,the plunger /cylinder must be a very close fit ....and IMHO ,some lube is needed in the water to avoid seizure.Not much ,and not oily ,which willl require case washing to remove......if hit with a hammer ,more clearance can be tolerated,as the leakage is pressure/time related.

akajun
03-01-2021, 10:31 AM
I made one of these years ago after watching the video. Super easy. if you broke a pin I just soft soldered them in so it was a quick replacement. I used needle bearings for pins. I wish I could find it now lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz3_GcsUB4I

GONRA
03-01-2021, 10:07 PM
rbuck351 - GONRA sez be veeery careful using Shotgun Shell Battery Cup Primers in a Centerfire Rifle application! Wear first class eye protection and (IF you MUST doit) only LOW PRESSURE loads.

>>> Please do NOT use Shotgun Shell Battery Cup Primers in this application. <<<

(Hava vague memory of a .50 BMG reloader trying this long ago to save $$$$ over pricy .50 BMG primers.
Was NOT a satisfactory application. Just "Looked Good".)

abunaitoo
03-02-2021, 10:42 PM
I made one of these years ago after watching the video. Super easy. if you broke a pin I just soft soldered them in so it was a quick replacement. I used needle bearings for pins. I wish I could find it now lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz3_GcsUB4I

I saw that.
The pin is really thin.
I would think it would snap on crimped primers.

edp2k
03-03-2021, 04:10 AM
The pin is the end of a dental pick/probe.
Pretty tough.

Brassmonkey
03-03-2021, 08:39 AM
rbuck351 - GONRA sez be veeery careful using Shotgun Shell Battery Cup Primers in a Centerfire Rifle application! Wear first class eye protection and (IF you MUST doit) only LOW PRESSURE loads.

>>> Please do NOT use Shotgun Shell Battery Cup Primers in this application. <<<

(Hava vague memory of a .50 BMG reloader trying this long ago to save $$$$ over pricy .50 BMG primers.
Was NOT a satisfactory application. Just "Looked Good".)

So you're saying the two 5.56 shells I found with 209's in them should be used with caution? lol

Duckiller
03-03-2021, 05:04 PM
The bolt must fit fairly tight at the neck. Case sits on an appropriate socket. Case is half+ full of water. Hit the bolt and primer will come out. If primer does not come out bolt needs to fit neck better. Only brass that I have felt is worth this effort is Swiss 7.5x55. Really pretty brass, but Berdan primed.