PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Vaquero problem

crgaston
12-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Just picked up a 5.5" NV in .45 Colt. I was so excited. It feels great in the hand. Took it to the range and reality set in. The cylinder won't turn with cartridges in it. The firing pin bushing is not flush with the face of the recoil sheild (not sure if that's the right term with Rugers). Anyhow, it sticks ot far enough that the cartridge rim catches on it, preventing the cylinder from turning when loaded.

Should I send it back to the factory, or just file it flush?

44man
12-25-2008, 09:20 AM
It might not be in tight enough and could give you trouble down the line. I would call Ruger first.

August
12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Yup. Manufacturing defect. Unless you want to get out your files, let them fix it. For what its worth, a rare occurance.

Bullshop
12-25-2008, 11:53 AM
If you file it you may end up getting pearced primers because in effect it will add length of throw to the fireing pin.
BIC/BS

Dale53
12-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Years ago, I bought a used Ruger Super Blackhawk. It had been used for "fast draw" so much that the firing pin bushing had a step worn in it that eventually caused the firing pin to break.The bushing was aluminum. I merely called Ruger, had them ship me a new firing pin and bushing. I carefully drove the crosspin out, fit the bushing, and installed it and the firing pin. That was in the late fifties and it is still working perfectly after thousands of full house rounds.

All of that said, if it is a new revolver, I would call Ruger and ask them to send you a mailing label and send it back. I bought mine used, so I did not have the expectations of a "NEW" revolver. You however are entitled to a working revolver regardless.

Good luck!
Dale53

crgaston
12-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. Back it goes.