PDA

View Full Version : Primer & powder shortage

ghh3rd
02-25-2021, 06:28 PM
Hey I've been away from reloading for about eighteen months due to health issues, and am starting to cast and reload again. I have a big pile of boolits, and a small amount of primers and powder. This shortage has me rattled -- I've been looking and finding nothing. Has there been sporadic availability of primers & powder, or just nothing?

Thanks
Randy

Castaway
02-25-2021, 06:37 PM
Some powders available but no primers

JimB..
02-25-2021, 06:47 PM
Actually I was told by guys that bought some that a big load of primers went through Brownells late last week, of course they sold out fast. Keep your eyes open, but have low expectations.

charlie b
02-25-2021, 08:39 PM
Very sporadic.

Most mail order places have notification systems for customers, but, stuff like primers and powders are sold in seconds.

There is a "black market" in reloading supplies and ammo these days. People are buying up the supply and then selling on ebay and similar for large profits. If you don't need the ammo it is best just to wait it out. Things are already starting to look better, but, until the ammo shelves are stocked then reloading components will be slow to show up.

Combined with the recent business changes with Remington being broken up and Hodgdon acquiring more powder brands, there are some slow downs in the manufacturing side.

Targa
02-25-2021, 08:42 PM
Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay, Gunbroker etc..etc...this will stop. Until then best to wait it out.

Winger Ed.
02-25-2021, 09:05 PM
Check out estate sales.
Heirs keep all of Dad's guns, but I've seen reloading stuff at them before.

Its such a small market for it, most folks will cut a good deal on supplies just to get rid of it.

rancher1913
02-25-2021, 09:16 PM
there is no shortage, gun broker has what ever you want, just be prepared for sticker shock.

wv109323
02-25-2021, 09:28 PM
An article in American Rifleman this month says ammo shortage will last through all 2021. I expect the same with reloading supplies.

Pipefitter
02-25-2021, 10:11 PM
Once the scalpers have a pallet of ammo and primers sitting next to the 3 pallets of toilet paper, things will return to almost normal.....

ghh3rd
02-25-2021, 10:36 PM
I thought that I got lucky yesterday when I found a website with many types of powder and primers. I hurriedly loaded up the basket but soon realized why it seemed so unbelievable ... a mandatory Province field popped up. Oops, it was a Canadian site lol.

M-Tecs
02-25-2021, 10:52 PM
Federal Cartridge is 2 1/2 Billion dollars backordered on civilian ammo. Federal is running 24/7 with unlimited overtime. If they stop taking orders today it will take two years to fill. Primers and powder are going to loaded cartridges.

No actually legislation has been moving forward. Once that happens the real panic buying will start. We are maybe 1/4 or 1/3 into this. It's going to get worse before it get better.

JimB..
02-25-2021, 11:49 PM
Powder Valley seemed well stocked on powder today, at least by recent standards.

Reasonably local store is selling Fed LRMP at $40/k, local only and I don’t know about limits. They sold out of LPPs at $100/k.

Bad Ass Wallace
02-25-2021, 11:54 PM
I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?

M-Tecs
02-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Powder Valley seemed well stocked on powder today, at least by recent standards.

Tonight they have zero primers and zero powder.

JimB..
02-26-2021, 12:23 AM
Tonight they have zero primers and zero powder.

Yeah, I stopped watching, but powder was there for hours. Same thing happened on Monday. It’s worth watching them in the early morning if you need powder, but I think the bots are getting any primers that get posted.

stubshaft
02-26-2021, 12:40 AM
We have a lot of powder, but no primers AND the LGS is selling 22's only 100 per customer per day! I'm not driving 30 miles to buy 100 22's.

Butcher45
02-26-2021, 12:57 AM
I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?

I was amazed when I came across 2000 of them in .35 a few weeks ago.......no telling when I will see them again.

trapper9260
02-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Looking into use Gator GC they are just about the same as Hornady , NOE last I know carry them . It been some time I last check. As for primers could look into reload your own there is some post on here on it. Just to give a idea .

Garyshome
02-26-2021, 07:52 AM
"Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay"

No Primers/Powder/Brass on E bay!:groner:

ABJ
02-26-2021, 09:06 AM
Federal Cartridge is 2 1/2 Billion dollars backordered on civilian ammo. Federal is running 24/7 with unlimited overtime. If they stop taking orders today it will take two years to fill. Primers and powder are going to loaded cartridges.

No actually legislation has been moving forward. Once that happens the real panic buying will start. We are maybe 1/4 or 1/3 into this. It's going to get worse before it get better.

The above quote is it in a nutshell. During the last shortage, once the supply chain pipelines start to fill up, it doesn't take long for the retailers and web dealers to recover. The problem with this one is the political climate and proposed legislation talk will keep it going for awhile. I do not have any problem with anyone trying to sell their personal stock for whatever they can get (the american way) but the sooner we quit paying $300/1000 for primers the sooner the price will come down.
Tony

ckrockets
02-26-2021, 06:52 PM

This. People are letting their optimism get the better of them.

It will be years before primer pricing/availability are back to normal, if ever.

Personally I'm expecting never.

They may not get the legislation they want but they will put the manufacturers out of business with regulations. Game over for the shooting sports.

Then possibly a facet of reloading will become primer manufacturing for personal use.

lead4me
02-26-2021, 08:17 PM
I think that most of the guys here are pretty much set for the long haul. I feel bad for those that failed to learn from the last shortage we had. I got clipped pretty bad on the last one, I shoot in a 22lr pistol club. It was so bad last time that there were weeks that we only had a few guys that could shoot. We paid WAY too much for rounds just to enjoy our little sport. When that one was over I vowed never again to get caught without. I ended up going way overboard in all aspects of our hobby. I tried to warn everyone around me when times were good to stock up. Tried to tell them that they would never lose money buying bullets, primers, powder and 22's. Now I have guys calling, stopping by, texting me wanting to get something. I want to help them all, but at some point you have to draw a line. How long is this going to last?? I'm reading from some pretty reliable sources that this will last at least the next 16 months and probably longer. There is a theory out their that they can skirt the 2nd amendment by killing the ammo industry. Or at the very least tax ammo at such high rates that most will not be able to afford to enjoy the sport. I hope that I am dead wrong, and this will pass and we can get back to some level of normal. Just not seeing those signs out their yet.

Hanzy4200
02-27-2021, 11:28 PM
Yep...once people stop paying the absolutely ridiculous pricing on EBay, Gunbroker etc..etc...this will stop. Until then best to wait it out.

Nope. How do people paying crazy prices on the secondary market equate to the primary market being cleaned out? Primers and powder are unavailable because none are being produced for the reloading market. Why sell $100 worth of material to reloaders, when they can assemble and instantly sell it for 5X the profit!

Hanzy4200
02-27-2021, 11:32 PM
I think that most of the guys here are pretty much set for the long haul. I feel bad for those that failed to learn from the last shortage we had. I got clipped pretty bad on the last one, I shoot in a 22lr pistol club. It was so bad last time that there were weeks that we only had a few guys that could shoot. We paid WAY too much for rounds just to enjoy our little sport. When that one was over I vowed never again to get caught without. I ended up going way overboard in all aspects of our hobby. I tried to warn everyone around me when times were good to stock up. Tried to tell them that they would never lose money buying bullets, primers, powder and 22's. Now I have guys calling, stopping by, texting me wanting to get something. I want to help them all, but at some point you have to draw a line. How long is this going to last?? I'm reading from some pretty reliable sources that this will last at least the next 16 months and probably longer. There is a theory out their that they can skirt the 2nd amendment by killing the ammo industry. Or at the very least tax ammo at such high rates that most will not be able to afford to enjoy the sport. I hope that I am dead wrong, and this will pass and we can get back to some level of normal. Just not seeing those signs out their yet.

I'm right there with you man. I had to draw the line a few weeks ago. I told all these people for the last 5 years to prepare, and NOBODY listened. If it lasts more than another year, I just plan to shoot more bolt, wheel guns and .22 LR. I have a good pile of LP and LR primers.

Krag 1901
02-28-2021, 12:06 AM
I have been amazed at the prices quoted for available components and ammo. I remember when I had to collect 50 pop bottles for a 50 pack of .22 LRs! Now it's $100 for 500!

Super Sneaky Steve
02-28-2021, 01:37 AM
There's no shortage on flint! I bought a flintlock rifle and pistol. Black Powder is easily made at home.

GregLaROCHE
02-28-2021, 02:32 AM
Maybe it’s time think about a flintlock and making your own black powder.

lead4me
02-28-2021, 02:48 AM
A new crossbow is deadly out to about 120yds. Makes no noise, reuse the ammo and is really kinda fun. But I would really rather have a 1873 in 45 colt any day!!

Hoss29860
02-28-2021, 09:04 AM
I try to stay optimistic that supply will become available again . Sadly im new to reloading so dont have a huge supply cache and its a struggle but i make the best of the situation and hunt for available components as much as possible . I only wish id started years ago

Froogal
02-28-2021, 10:02 AM
I've been into reloading for only about 6 or 7 years. I have NEVER experienced a shortage until this one, so for you guys who keep saying "you should have seen it coming" can just keep your thoughts to yourself. I am becoming extremely tired of it.

Second thought, maybe, just maybe, you guys are the very ones who are hoarding and selling on GunBroker?

Rico1791
02-28-2021, 11:57 AM
I'm finding Hornady gas checks almost "unobtainable"?Try Sage Outdoors, they make their own. I recently bought some they recommended for 30-30.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JimB..
02-28-2021, 12:07 PM
I've been into reloading for only about 6 or 7 years. I have NEVER experienced a shortage until this one, so for you guys who keep saying "you should have seen it coming" can just keep your thoughts to yourself. I am becoming extremely tired of it.

Second thought, maybe, just maybe, you guys are the very ones who are hoarding and selling on GunBroker?

To be fair, if people would stop posting complaints about how the market works I suspect that we’d hear less “you should have prepared.” Just folks expressing frustration, don’t let it get under your skin.

I was as prepared for this as is reasonably possible, I don’t need to change a thing really, so my wife gave me a new rifle in a new caliber for Christmas. Interesting times.

NWPilgrim
02-28-2021, 12:29 PM
Good suggestion to scour the estate sales, larger garage sales. I would still check online sources but anything online you are competing against millions of other guys.

As the shooting community grows (great!!) each shortage cycle seems to get worse. After each one I have stocked up even more than before yet the next shortage drags out into a real challenge. 20-30 years ago a shortage meant several months. Now it lasts for 2-4 years. Really feel bad for the guys just getting into shooting or reloading at these times.

Check local estate sales, gather what you can and plan your activities around what you have now for the next two years. Buying ammo may be easier than primers for a long while.

Federal is supposed to be switching over to a new primer compound that is lead free and safer to manufacture. So perhaps at some point they can significantly increase production. Even that would be a fraction of demand.

Remember in 2017 how demand plummeted and the shelves were bulging? Hopefully those times come around again.

dondiego
02-28-2021, 01:05 PM
Good suggestion to scour the estate sales, larger garage sales. I would still check online sources but anything online you are competing against millions of other guys.

As the shooting community grows (great!!) each shortage cycle seems to get worse. After each one I have stocked up even more than before yet the next shortage drags out into a real challenge. 20-30 years ago a shortage meant several months. Now it lasts for 2-4 years. Really feel bad for the guys just getting into shooting or reloading at these times.

Check local estate sales, gather what you can and plan your activities around what you have now for the next two years. Buying ammo may be easier than primers for a long while.

Federal is supposed to be switching over to a new primer compound that is lead free and safer to manufacture. So perhaps at some point they can significantly increase production. Even that would be a fraction of demand.

Remember in 2017 how demand plummeted and the shelves were bulging? Hopefully those times come around again.

And that is the time to buy all that you can manage!

Hoss29860
02-28-2021, 01:18 PM
Exactly what ill be doing if things ever get near back to normal . Until then i stay on the hunt and buy all my pockets allow when i find it
And that is the time to buy all that you can manage!

Pirate69
02-28-2021, 08:13 PM
I recently bought 2,000 30 cal Aluminum checks. They seem to be working well.

Try Sage Outdoors, they make their own. I recently bought some they recommended for 30-30.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sirgknight
02-28-2021, 08:56 PM
Last time this happened a few years ago, Wolf and Tula primers flooded the market at $18/1000. Wideners was a great source for Russian primers. Wish it would happen again; as they were, and are, fantastic primers. I still have a few thousand of the SP, LP, SR & LR on hand. They have served we well during political challenges.

M-Tecs
02-28-2021, 09:12 PM
Last time this happened a few years ago, Wolf and Tula primers flooded the market at $18/1000. Wideners was a great source for Russian primers. Wish it would happen again; as they were, and are, fantastic primers. I still have a few thousand of the SP, LP, SR & LR on hand. They have served we well during political challenges.

That was more than a few years ago since the Russian Primer import ban took effect under Obama in 2014. Trump did not reverse it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/12/primers-why-there-is-a-primer-supply-shortage/

robpete
02-28-2021, 11:10 PM
I picked up some powder and primers from my local guy this weekend. He said that stuff is slowly trickling back in. He is limiting primer quantity for now, but I agree and have no qualms with this move. It allows the opportunity for him to supply his loyal customer base and to keep the gunbroker listings down.

dverna
02-28-2021, 11:31 PM

I was one of the “fools” who bought cases of them. Took flack from some folks....probably the same ones who would happily give me $100/k today....IIRC I got some at $16/k.

Primers will come back. I am not worried. Will switch gears for a bit to converse what I have.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-02-2021, 10:37 PM
Things will return to normal in mid-2022. Those fools who voted for change in 2020 are getting just what they deserve. The mid-term house elections are usually a correction/backlash against who ever won the previous presidential election. You will probably not believe how many house dems get booted out of office, and how many dems and rinos in the senate get their pink slips.

Be patient, and buy a good compound bow and a couple dozen arrows. The practice is good for upper body strength, and the exercise walking to and back from the target butt in your backyard will be good for your cardio.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Uncle Rich

farmbif
03-02-2021, 11:00 PM
I sure do miss the old wideners. ole mr widener was a good man. never even thought about price gouging, always had interesting finds from around the globe. the new folks that bought him out and moved the operation to Knoxville completely changed the business and now they don't even sell powder primers or guns and accessories.

Johns87
03-04-2021, 08:33 PM
I believe the price of primers will come down after the price of ammo comes down. Reloaders can still shoot at a reasonable cost even paying $300./1K primers. That's .30 for the primer, powder is .01 per round (pre virus price) and non-cast bullet at .07 each and with once fired brass, that's .38 a round or $19./box for 9mm. Still a lot less than the $35 to $50 per box that I see at gun shows and on line. That being said, I still refuse to buy primers more than $50 per box today.

Conditor22
03-04-2021, 09:21 PM
I got lucky
In-Stock
Ships To
Winchester Small Rifle 5.56... Qty: 1 $59.99
Est. Delivery: 03/11/2021 (UPS Ground)
Order
Product Total $59.99
Shipping Total $12.20
HazMat Charge $12.99
Total $85.18

I hope the prices come down but ---------- :(

charlie b
03-05-2021, 07:55 PM
I got lucky
In-Stock
Ships To
Winchester Small Rifle 5.56... Qty: 1 $59.99
Est. Delivery: 03/11/2021 (UPS Ground)
Order
Product Total $59.99
Shipping Total $12.20
HazMat Charge $12.99
Total $85.18

I hope the prices come down but ---------- :(

Whoever you bought from is making a tidy profit.

I got 1000 CCI SR primers this morning at Sportsmans for $24. They had 4 bricks and another of large pistol. That was after quite a few people had grabbed some. This is the third week in a row that they received their 'normal' primer allotment. It just sells out faster with everyone stocking up.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-07-2021, 08:49 AM
I was surprised to find some CCI #400 small rifle primers at my lgs yesterday. Limit 200 so I bought 200. Will go back Monday morning and buy 200 more. I currently don't load any small rifle but was thinking I might be able to trade them for some small pistol primers. They were selling for $5/100.

chumly2071
03-07-2021, 04:31 PM
I sure do miss the old wideners.

Me too. When I first got in this game, they were one of my go to vendors with very competitive prices and often good deals. After the sale, they no longer offered anything I needed...

toallmy
03-07-2021, 05:56 PM
I'm not excited , but I didn't run out of T.P. ether . When I get a email the 5K primers are on sale + free shipping I will probably order more small pistol primers .
I have been shooting more 45acps lately using lg pistol primers + light plinking with rifles , having a lot of fun .
It seems the rush was on small pistol and small rifle more so than lg primers .

ravyynr1
03-15-2021, 02:48 PM
Has anyone looked into the machining necassarry to make sp primers. Is it duable? What kind of investment would be needed. With backordered ammo going out 2-3 years. Just curious if its possible to produce ourselfs?

charlie b
03-15-2021, 11:13 PM
Yep. Easiest is to save your old primers. Punch the 'dimple' out. Lay in the primer compound and reset the anvil.

blackthorn
03-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Yep. Easiest is to save your old primers. Punch the 'dimple' out. Lay in the primer compound and reset the anvil.

How many times can a primer be reused? It seems to me that we run at least some risk of having a primer fail at some point due to the metal cup fatiguing from the reworking process.

Krag 1901
03-17-2021, 12:38 PM
Back in early '15 I just gave up shooting. Powder was impossible to find and so I just concentrated on learning to play Ukulele. Over the years I'd find some powder, .22s, or stuff at LGS and put it away. Last year I discovered a cancer and have spent the last year dealing with the effects, surgerys and radiation treatments etc. The Docs screwed up my left hand so bad I couldn't hold a beer glass! Couldn't play anymore, so gave away five of my Ukulele to my nephews.

Couple of months ago I sold a Cadet rifle to a local guy I 'met' on CB that had some issues. I decided to start reloading and shooting again, just to clean up my supplies and get out of the house, now that I had redeveloped the use of my left arm and hand.
Looked in my supplies and found I had enough powder, primers, brass and lead to load another 1,000+ rds of Krag and/or .308! I also found about 15 sets of dies I no longer need so was able to sell or swap most of those on CB pretty quick. Now I have some cash to spend for more supplies If/when I find them. Got a new 314299 Lyman mold coming and 40 lbs of COWW, with a lead on ~40 Lbs of Lino!

So it looks like I can weather the Biden shortages and get out and do some shooting for a while. I'm happy despite having to work up the strength to hoist my Krag. Got to get out my 8lb dumbells and work on curls now.

charlie b
03-18-2021, 11:30 PM
How many times can a primer be reused? It seems to me that we run at least some risk of having a primer fail at some point due to the metal cup fatiguing from the reworking process.

Have no idea, but, probably a lot. You could anneal the cups if you think this might be a problem. Or come up with a die to punch your own. The anvils are the hard part.

A solution to that would be to collect some Berdan primed brass. They have the 'anvil' built into the brass. Harder to decap, but, no pesky little anvils to be placed in the primer cups.

Winger Ed.
03-18-2021, 11:49 PM
I have been shooting more 45acps lately using lg pistol primers + light plinking with rifles , having a lot of fun .

That's where I'm at.
Last summer, I was going to buy another lot of 5K primers, but never quite got around to it. Then it was too late.
I loaded up probably more SP stuff than I'll ever shoot, but I like looking at a few bricks of them in the cabinet.

But I still had plenty of both LPs.
I still get to shoot all I want, but don't have to be so stingy with shooting the .45s or .30 cals.