PDA

View Full Version : How do you protect lubed Rifle Cartrige from picking up dust & Dirt while in your poc

Graybeard96
02-25-2021, 05:52 PM
OK, working with self cast Rifle Bullets is a new thing for me but will hopefully eventually replace my regular Rifle Reloadings.

So yesterday arrived a used but apparently unmolested- new Lyman Mold -287405EW- which was immediately dubbed the "Dildo 7" Mold, (look at it then you know why)[smilie=s: then shortly thereafter proceeded to cast a dozend test Bullets which I then locked at and locked at while watching Judge Judy.

Seems to be a interesting Bullet design but I started wondering once they went trough the GC seating-crimping-sizing-lubing process then seating them into a charged Casing would undoubtedly leave a large front part with lubed Groves exposed ready to collect dust and whatever else I have in my pockets.

I guess one could powder coat them to avoid the mess, but I wonder what other Guys do to carry a dozend or so Lubed Bullets in their pockets.

Cheers

megasupermagnum
02-25-2021, 06:02 PM
I only lube 1 or 2 lube grooves. In all cases so far, mainly 308 winchester, the lube is fully in the case neck.

Stephen Cohen
02-25-2021, 06:08 PM
An old mate of mine who has now passed, used plastic vile with clip on lids for single rounds, I have also seen snug fitting plastic tube used. Regards Stephen

fastdadio
02-25-2021, 08:08 PM
Ziplock baggies. Should roll up in your pocket just fine.

dtknowles
02-25-2021, 08:37 PM
I don't carry ammo loose in my pocket or at least not often. I use ammo belt, wallet, case or magazine if they are not in ammo boxes. It is also rare that I have ammo with exposed lube except .22 LR. If I do they are probably in a typical ammo box or case as they are range rounds not carry or hunting rounds.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ammo+wallet&cvid=b7733d25f26a43c5947f0e89532d79c0&pglt=43&FORM=ANNAB1&PC=U531

Tim

poppy42
02-25-2021, 08:38 PM
I typically don’t have loose rounds for either rifle or pistol rattling around loosely in my pockets . Aside from that , If they were lube with a lube Sizer no reason to have lube all over the nose of the bullet. As far as tumble lube I use Ben’s liquid lube and it’s not sticky when it dries, even if it was straight liquid Alox you shouldn’t be picking up enough debris on the nose of the boolet to make a difference. As a rather comical sidenote I once dropped a bunch of tumble lube bullets that was still wet on the bed that my German Shepherd used to lay on and keep me company while I was reloading. I did wipe them off but there still was dog hair stuck to them. Well I loaded them up and off to the range I went. They shot just fine no issues. However this was in an inside range and I can tell you the comments from the shooters on the lanes next to me we’re quite comical. They range from what’s that smell to the gentleman immediate we to my right saying it smells like a wet dog in here! Lol

onelight
02-25-2021, 09:49 PM
The case guard ammo wallets work if you have a pocket big enough for them .
I carried rimfire and 44 mag in them when hunting for years.
Here is a link if you have not seen them.
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammo-wallets.html

Winger Ed.
02-25-2021, 10:35 PM
The sizer should be adjusted so no lubed grooves are outside the case.
But I'm big on using plastic zip-lok bags to keep ammo clean.

Walks
02-25-2021, 11:08 PM
I carry mine in a fully enclosed belt slide. It's probably 50yrs old. Some kind of plasto-rubber. And a MTM wallet in a backpack.

quail4jake
02-25-2021, 11:19 PM
I blow my pocket out with the air compressor...

GhostHawk
02-25-2021, 11:24 PM
Where I feel I need the lube for higher speed rifle loads. Regular lube in the grooves. (Ben's Red, pretty sticky stuff)

Then 2 very light coats of Ben's liquid lube, ie thinned Alox. Tumble lube, spill out onto cardboard flat in front of a fan for hour.

BLL dries to a hard finish, no more sticky bullets. Load normally.

If desired, a splash of mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, or even BLL onto a towel will let you polish noses. Mostly I use about 3-4 drops of BLL on an old terry cloth towel. Still leaves a very very thin lube layer, but it looks clean. Dry's to a hard shell finish.

Or you can warm a little mineral spirits gently and melt in a little carnuba wax. As it cools it becomes a gel. A Pea sized piece in 50 cast bullets will put a very nice hard shell on that also does lovely things for your bore.

stubshaft
02-26-2021, 12:43 AM
I give them a quick coat of mica powder and they do not pick up any other debris.

waksupi
02-26-2021, 11:59 AM
You seldom need to lube all the grooves. Many use too much lube. Mine was always lubed within the case neck.

Burnt Fingers
02-26-2021, 12:33 PM
If you lube too many of the grooves accuracy will suffer.

gwpercle
02-26-2021, 07:12 PM
1.) Don't stuff them into pants pocket ... leather ammo carrier slips onto belt , ammo is carried in loops on carrier on belt . Also called ammunition belt slide ... they are available for rifle and handgun, I have some in both and they work well .

2.) Only lube the grooves that are covered by the neck ... nobody says just because a groove is there you must fill it with lubricant .

Gary

Markopolo
02-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Where I feel I need the lube for higher speed rifle loads. Regular lube in the grooves. (Ben's Red, pretty sticky stuff)

Then 2 very light coats of Ben's liquid lube, ie thinned Alox. Tumble lube, spill out onto cardboard flat in front of a fan for hour.

BLL dries to a hard finish, no more sticky bullets. Load normally.

Or you can warm a little mineral spirits gently and melt in a little carnuba wax. As it cools it becomes a gel. A Pea sized piece in 50 cast bullets will put a very nice hard shell on that also does lovely things for your bore.

This!!! a very shiny barrel and good seasoning.... :)

Graybeard96
02-26-2021, 08:54 PM
I don't carry ammo loose in my pocket or at least not often. I use ammo belt, wallet, case or magazine if they are not in ammo boxes. It is also rare that I have ammo with exposed lube except .22 LR. If I do they are probably in a typical ammo box or case as they are range rounds not carry or hunting rounds.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ammo+wallet&cvid=b7733d25f26a43c5947f0e89532d79c0&pglt=43&FORM=ANNAB1&PC=U531

Tim

Yep. that would work for me, thanks Tim

Cheers

Goofy
02-26-2021, 10:22 PM
Dunno it appeals to anyone other than me, but I "tumble lube" without the tumble part. Tried it once the regular way and said "nevermore".
So what I do is fill a small container to the height appropriate for the bullet and dip the base to the upper drive band and set it on a bit of wax paper to dry a little. After that is done I wipe the bullet bases on a paper towel and set them aside for about an hour.
https://i.imgur.com/rnGSDMC.jpg
The next step is to size, then lightly dust them with a graphite/motor mica mix and they are ready for loading. Short answer to your question, I do carry them in my pocket and they gather no lint or dirt. I do this with all bullets for smokeless loads.
https://i.imgur.com/mpY6A0W.jpg

RU shooter
02-26-2021, 10:53 PM
Only time I carry spare ammo in my pocket is when I'm deer hunting I have an extra 4 on a stripper clip just so they don't jiggle around . Don't know about everyone else's jacket pockets but mine ain't too dirty so I really don't worry about some lint or a few specks of whatever .

Brassmonkey
02-27-2021, 01:06 AM
Would it really matter if some lint got in the groove?

Graybeard96
02-27-2021, 01:58 AM
Dunno it appeals to anyone other than me, but I "tumble lube" without the tumble part. Tried it once the regular way and said "nevermore".
So what I do is fill a small container to the height appropriate for the bullet and dip the base to the upper drive band and set it on a bit of wax paper to dry a little. After that is done I wipe the bullet bases on a paper towel and set them aside for about an hour.
The next step is to size, then lightly dust them with a graphite/motor mica mix and they are ready for loading. Short answer to your question, I do carry them in my pocket and they gather no lint or dirt. I do this with all bullets for smokeless loads.

Whow, nice locking Bullets !

Cheers

Mr_Sheesh
02-27-2021, 02:52 AM
Lint shouldn't matter much, but if some sand or other abrasive gets into lube on the bullet's surface - that could be hard on your barrel.

Land Owner
02-27-2021, 06:37 AM
Unless you use some "guarantee" to prevent intrusion, there is always unseen lint, pollen, dirt, even sand swilling around sometimes that can come into contact with and then reside in your barrel. The foreign contaminants that may become trapped in exposed lube on the few rounds that will be loaded straight from your pocket are inconsequential, unless you make it a habit to shoot EVERY round straight from your pocket.

lar45
03-01-2021, 08:51 AM

First off, great looking bullets.
What is that great looking short stubby round?

Goofy
03-01-2021, 09:45 AM
A wildcat sorta. .357 case necked to .30 for use exclusively with cast bullets. Not an original idea, it’s been done a few different ways by others. Is my hog whacker.

Thin Man
03-01-2021, 03:41 PM
I carry boolit ammo in a snap-top cartridge carrier. My variations of these holders accept 6-10 rounds each. They keeps the rounds clean and secured from rattling together to announce my presence.

samari46
03-02-2021, 01:35 AM
I have a few of the military leather pouches that came with my Yugo m48, one came with it and is in such nice shape, that I called up the dealer and asked if he had any spares in nice shape. Said he would check for spares so when he called and said he had a couple I bought them. So have 3 double pouch for 8mm if you use stripper clips. And one for 7.65x53mm. Used to have one of the leather pouches that held two of the red federal plastic cartridge holders for 30-06 but donated a lot of my old match stuff to a marine who made it home and wanted to get into high power shooting. Frank