PDA

View Full Version : Old Crossman 101

beezapilot
02-25-2021, 12:02 PM
I suppose that eventually there will be a vintage AirGuns section for stuff like this. But a new wallhanger until I can get to trying to reseal & restore. From what I could find this is probably a newer one with steel barrels and peep sight, but still a nifty find. What this one had that most pump up air guns didn't (as I understand it) the cocking mechanism was NOT connected to the air reservoir until it WAS cocked, thus is could hold an air charge for a very log time- ready to go as it were. This one is the more common .22, the model 100 in .177 is much more collectable as are the ones with brass barrels.

recumbent
02-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Neat old rifle. When do you think it was made?

beezapilot
02-25-2021, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna take a shot that it was made in the late 40's.

clodhopper
02-25-2021, 10:39 PM
Is that the pump handle sticking out of the back of the receiver?

beezapilot
02-26-2021, 06:07 AM
Is that the pump handle sticking out of the back of the receiver?

Nope, that is the "cocking" pull. You pump it up with the forearm, and the air charge stays isolated in a chamber. When you pull back on that handle, it "cocks" the rifle and engages the firing mechanism. Made it so you could leave the rifle pressurized for a long time without the charge bleeding off. This is new to me and still reading up, but pretty thoughtful design.

sparky45
02-26-2021, 10:16 AM
There's a fella over on https://airgunguild.com/break-barrel-pumper-and-springer-airguns/ that sorta specializes in old air guns. Goes by the nom de plume of Septicdeath and he probably has one or knows how to fix one up.

Gewehr-Guy
02-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Those old air guns are very interesting, be careful, they could become addicting !

Multigunner
03-01-2021, 02:06 PM
IIRC during WW2 Crosman couldn't get the type of plastic they needed to make the exhaust valve seals for their products, it being a strategic material, but a manufacturer of screwdrivers was still able to get all they wanted to make handles.
Crosman then bought up as many of these screwdrivers as possible and cut the needed valve seals from the handles.