PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make something like this in a HP

Wolfdog91
02-23-2021, 04:54 AM
So finally chef out MP molds and fell in love with this .227 mold ( along with some of their .30 cal stuff lol)

Been looking for a slick sided gas check bullet heavy like this as a option for a hog round ,deal is I really want a HP version. I use harder lead then most and I'm worried as it it would act more like a FMJ than anything. Hoping the hp would have some better terminal effects. Was curious if y'all happen to know of anyone who made one ? NOE has something similar but is a plain base :(
Thanks !

Tar Heel
02-23-2021, 06:16 AM
An issue with a harder alloy high velocity round is that the harder alloy makes a terrible HP projectile. The HP projectiles tend to become frangible and disintegrate upon impact even at handgun velocities. See the attached picture of a 44 caliber bullet cast in Lyman #2 alloy fired at 1300 fps.

CraigOK
02-23-2021, 06:42 AM
Why don't you add some pure or range lead so its not so brittle

sigep1764
02-23-2021, 09:39 AM
Hey Wolf, there is one that will fit your needs in the group buy section from MP.

waksupi
02-23-2021, 01:33 PM
You are looking at the wrong bullet design for your purposes. No hollow point, fat nose is what you want. If you are shooting hogs, I would certainly want a larger caliber.

Tar Heel
02-23-2021, 08:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ bingo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wolfdog91
02-23-2021, 08:27 PM
You are looking at the wrong bullet design for your purposes. No hollow point, fat nose is what you want. If you are shooting hogs, I would certainly want a larger caliber.

Well I I'm extremely comfortable shooing hogs with a .223 done it many times but I've also used something like a Hp or SP jacked bullet. Honestly with the shot placement I usually take I'm pretty sure a FMJ could drop them but I've learned not to shoot critters with those lol

Wolfdog91
02-23-2021, 08:28 PM
An issue with a harder alloy high velocity round is that the harder alloy makes a terrible HP projectile. The HP projectiles tend to become frangible and disintegrate upon impact even at handgun velocities. See the attached picture of a 44 caliber bullet cast in Lyman #2 alloy fired at 1300 fps.

Wait now I'm confused because I thought #2 alloy was good for game, I mean that what I've been told

Greg S
02-23-2021, 08:28 PM
Got a 225- xxx 39 grainer from MiHec for the Hornet and Fireball and looking at a 46gr wfn from NOE. NOE has quite a few 22. mold designs, problem is are they in stock.

Tar Heel
02-24-2021, 06:20 AM
Wait now I'm confused because I thought #2 alloy was good for game, I mean that what I've been told

Harder alloy like Lyman #2 is exceptional on game if used making bullets like a KTWC in 38, 41, 44, 45 calibers for handguns or other rifle bullets with RN or FN configurations for rifles. The harder alloy allows for higher velocity and with certain bullet configurations, gives excellent penetration with minimal deformation. If deformation is what you seek (mushrooming), then soften the alloy. The softer the alloy, the slower the velocity must be. When I hunt boar with a handgun, a 454 Casull, I use the bullet shown in my profile picture which is a SSK 340gr Plain Base Flat Point, with a large meplat. I cast these in Lyman #2 alloy and drop quench them. I need the harder alloy for two reasons. First is the high pressure of the cartridge/firearm. Second is the penetration I seek. These bullets will HAMMER a hog and give full penetration LENGTHWISE on a 300+ pound boar. As the late Elmer Keith pointed out through experience and experimentation, the larger flat meplat is what kills game.

I cast a lot of hollow point bullets for the 44 Magnum, 38/357 Magnum, and a 9mm. Alloy is crucial to expansion and hand-in-hand with that is velocity. It's a delicate balance.

Burnt Fingers
02-24-2021, 12:58 PM

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_15_HandgunHuntingCB.htm

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_16_Favorites_Pg2.htm

Here ya go.

waksupi
02-24-2021, 01:43 PM
Well I I'm extremely comfortable shooing hogs with a .223 done it many times but I've also used something like a Hp or SP jacked bullet. Honestly with the shot placement I usually take I'm pretty sure a FMJ could drop them but I've learned not to shoot critters with those lol

You need to totally forget about what jacketed bullets do. Whole different animal.

Burnt Fingers
02-25-2021, 12:26 PM
You need to totally forget about what jacketed bullets do. Whole different animal.

That right there is the best advice I've seen.

mdi
02-25-2021, 12:49 PM
I would consider bullet shape over hollow pointing for cast bullets. For a hollow point to open a certain velocity needs to be reached, often above "normal" cast bullet velocities. And to compound that problem the specific alloy can add to the velocity need. Personally I believe that a bit more than BHN determines the cast bullet performance as some compounds used to raise BHN make the bullets shatter/crumble easier...

Jes my thinking. My "Hog Loads" are 44 cal. 265 gr RNFP at about 1,600 fps outta my lever gun...

popper
02-25-2021, 03:58 PM
I shot hog carcass with 30/30 FN soft alloy. Shoulder didn't exit, gut did and left 45 hole. Got another with 40sw @ 25 yds, 'tx heart shot' entered rear, out the jaw and broke front leg. It was 165gr TC WW with Cu. Never found the bullet. I use H.T. WW and FN for hogs. You want penetration and bone breaking stuff. Heart/lung shot will leave a trail from mouth but hide doesn't leak much. HP doesn't do it.