PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Stearate in FWFL

justindad
02-22-2021, 12:01 PM
Has anyone replaced the sodium stearate in FWFL with lithium stearate?

Has anyone replaced the oil/stearate grease in FWFL with a purchased lithium grease?

Has anyone more generally used lithium grease & wax to make a lube?

If no one tells me of horrible failures, I’ll test and report back later.

Hip's Ax
02-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Grease and beeswax is done. Here, read this thread. It will take a while. Just the facts: Lube recipes

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26524-Just-the-facts-Lube-recipes

Boogieman
02-22-2021, 08:50 PM
moly-lub grease and bees wax 50/50 Check out Glen E. Fryxell's book on the Los Angeles Silhouette Club's web site. I use it on any thing that I don't PC Wal-mart moly grease works and it's cheep , like me

TCLouis
02-22-2021, 09:58 PM
Mix up a batch with the lithium stearate and beeswax.
Then report back so we can learn the likelyhood of good/bad.

gwpercle
02-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Lithi-Bee Lube
Amounts by weight :
1 part Lithium Grease
3 parts Beeswax

A commerical maker , Garth Choate said when they made it they used 24 pounds of beeswax with 8 pounds of lithium grease . Hence the 3 to 1 ratio and measured in pounds . This makes a soft lube that doesn't need a heated lube/sizer . To stiffen it up you can add a little paraffin wax .
An excellent handgun lube that I keep coming back to over the years ... even after Garth stopped making and selling it , he was kind enough to share the recipe .
I think it's just as good as the original NRA Alox-Beeswax lube and better than the new formulated alox lubes .
It's easy to make ... I've used Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium grease in the past but I'm sure any brand will do .
Gary

Minerat
02-24-2021, 01:52 AM
Lith-bee is just a little stinky when being cooked so do it outdoors if married. It will extend your life expectancy. Also don't keep it in the freezer unless you seal it in 2 bags or your ice cream may taste a little greasy. Trust me I know.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2021, 12:40 PM
Lith-bee is just a little stinky when being cooked so do it outdoors if married. It will extend your life expectancy. Also don't keep it in the freezer unless you seal it in 2 bags or your ice cream may taste a little greasy. Trust me I know.

Lith-bee is stinky to shoot too.
Unless you don't mind smelling a grease fire.

Minerat
02-24-2021, 01:44 PM
Jon, It's kind if fun to watch how the down wind adjoining bench reactions after about the 3rd shot from a 41 mag. Comments range from that are you shooting! To an infraction comment if repeated here.

Boogieman
02-24-2021, 02:28 PM
Jon, It's kind if fun to watch how the down wind adjoining bench reactions after about the 3rd shot from a 41 mag. Comments range from that are you shooting! To an infraction comment if repeated here.

Saves using wind flags

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2021, 02:29 PM

[smilie=l:
:happy dance:
truth be told, I never made any Lith-Bee, I was given some from a fellow member who was experimenting with Lube, I don't recall which Lithium Grease he used? The story goes, he made a large batch before he shot any and decided it was just too stinky. Now, when he offered it to me, he warned me it was real stinky. Of course, I didn't believe him and figured he was just one of those fellows that has a sensitive smeller...I mean, some people think any Lube with Alox, even when just tumble lubed, is stinky when shot. So, I loaded a bunch of the gifted Lith-Bee lubed boolits in 44 mag (my caliber of choice, before I switched to 41), and took them to my local outdoor range. No breeze that day...and OMG, was that smoke STINKY. Also, this was at the same time when I was regularly using vintage Tamarac (NRA 50-50) Lube that came with my Star, and I thought the burnt Alox smell was just fine.

gwpercle
02-26-2021, 02:31 PM
A lot of people mixed the lithium and beeswax 50-50 but that's too much grease . This is where the it's too stinky and it's too soft and sticky complaints comes from .

3 pounds beeswax
1 pound Lucas Red-N-Tacky

Works much better ... if too soft for your liking a little harder mix is :

1/2 pound Gulf Pararffin Wax
2 1/2 pounds Beeswax
1 pound Lucas Red-N-Tacky

Either of these blends are not excessively smoky or stinky for me and no complaints when league shooting for years in an indoor range ... someone would have said something .
Gary