PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Peep Sight

stubshaft
02-21-2021, 10:23 PM
I was surfing through some old threads about a week ago and I came upon one featuring a "Ghost Ring" sight for Ruger pistols.
Being stuck at home due to the current covid pandemic and being "bored out of my gourd" I contacted the manufacturer and ordered a set to try out.

Let me preface this by stating that I am no stranger to iron sights. Through the 80's and 90's I have won a number of State Championships shooting Sillywett and PPC. I generally prefer irons to red dots or anything that takes a battery. But, time is taking it's toll and the days when I can shoot with bare eyeballs has been supplanted by needing glasses to see. That being said, I was intrigued by the possibility of using a peep on a pistol.

It took about 5 days to receive my new sights

The instructions were clear and easily followed. The Ruger set comes with two apertures of differing sizes. I decided to immediately put one on my Ruger MKII 10" 22 lr.. The other one I decided to save and mount it on my Lipsey Ruger Bisley flat-top in 44 Special. The intent was to shoot with the original sights and compare it to the new peep sight.

I arrived at the range this morning to test my new sights and was greeted with relatively clear weather. I set up my target at 25 yards and shot a 6 shot group with the 44 Special and the original iron sights.

Although it is not my best group, it was representative of what I could shoot today. I disassembled the rear sight and mounted the new aperture. I was anticipating a slight loss of accuracy between the two sights. I went ahead and shot a 5 shot group at the target and was totally blown away.

The first shot was a called flyer and the group size was incredible. A quick adjustment of the windage and I sent another 5 shots downrange to verify zero.

The erroneous holes were from the MKII, I didn't test the accuracy as I had already changed the sights and just wanted to get a feel of the peep on this pistol. That was compounded by shooting bulk 22's. I can say that the 14" plate at 100 yards was not safe from this pistol!

I guess the sights are going to stay on these pistols. I'll probably have to order a couple of more sets to outfit the 8 other Ruger revolvers I own. FWIW - The sight fits perfectly in my pancake hunting holster (44 Special).

BMW Rider
02-22-2021, 12:04 AM
I have had a pair of these ORH peep sights for quite a while and I really like them as well. I find they work best for my aging eyes when paired with one of Ruger's gold bead front sights or with a fiber optic front sight (HiVis, TruGlo, Firesight, etc.).

Three44s
02-22-2021, 12:46 AM
Pretty amazing huh!

I traded off my SRH in .44 Mag with a 9 1/2” barrel that wore the One Ragged Hole ghost ring in the smallest size and a Ruger front gold bead (painted black) in order to acquire a SRH in .480 Ruger.

I miss that ghost ring. The current owner loves it! I do however cherish that .480 Ruger!

Three44s

fiberoptik
02-22-2021, 03:08 AM
How much & where???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OS OK
02-22-2021, 03:23 AM
That's pretty cool results...have wanted to try a ghost ring on one of my 1911's...but have been distracted by other projects in the shop. "One of these days..."

stubshaft
02-22-2021, 04:19 AM
How much & where???

Warren Custom Outdoors (the link won't copy properly) it ran me about $32.00 shipped, which is not too bad considering you get two apertures.

smithnframe
02-22-2021, 06:21 AM
I have a peep sight on a 41 magnum Blackhawk that I like!

budman5
02-22-2021, 08:42 PM
I have a set on my 480 bisley. They will stay on this pistol, I like them a lot.

Shuz
02-23-2021, 02:04 PM
I have a "hole in the wall" type sight on a Ruger KS458N and I love it for hunting and plinking. Do not like it for target work. Not precise enough.

KMac
02-23-2021, 03:29 PM
I put the the Warren Outdoors One Hole rear sight on my SS Blackhawk Bisley .45 Colt along with an optical green front sight. Have not been to the range to sight it in since Covid hit. I have got to do that pretty soon. I could not focus on the sights that were factory. This looks to be much better. But won't know for sure till I send some shots downrange.

fiberoptik
02-23-2021, 06:35 PM
Warren Custom Outdoors (the link won't copy properly) it ran me about $32.00 shipped, which is not too bad considering you get two apertures.

Even better since I have a single 6 & a Mk ll! DoubleMint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJM52
02-26-2021, 10:55 PM
Bought a set about 18 years go. Had it on a custom Gary Reeder .41 Magnum that had a FA gold bead front sight. After I changed out to a more standard blade front blade I moved the peep to a Ruger Single-Six Hunter that has a gold bead front sight and "had" a V notch rear...the peep works much better than the V....

I think that the ownership has changed as they were called "One Ragged Hole" when I bought them. There was also a company who had the same blade but had two gold bars across the face of the blade for hold over...

Bob

MT Gianni
03-01-2021, 02:33 PM
The former site owner had one I saw a while back when he went on a visiting trip. It looked really nice but I had forgotten about it. Those are nice groups.