PDA

View Full Version : Application Chart for Brinell Ratings?

jjohnson
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi, Gents (Ladies), Happy Holidays to all of you!

I'm pretty new here and am taking on as a project for the New Year some casting of my own, but haven't yet started.

My question is this: Do any of you have a chart or a link to a chart that relates cast bullet hardness to velocity? That is, like Brinell 8 to 12 - under 900fps, 12-15 good up to 1200fps, 16-18 up to 1400?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and may you all have a great New Year as well!

jjohnson in Rochester MN

Freightman
12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
You can drive yourself crazy bieng to anal, then it is no fun. Most of my casting is with W-W and range scrape cast them and shoot them, half the fun of doing this is expiermentation. I find a good load and write it down and then try something else, I have shot some '06 and 308 win rounds to 2500 fps with no leading but after about 2200 the accuracy goes south. Cast , play, amd have fun you live longer.
PS Welcome to the board, this is a fun place, " MERRY CHRISTMAS" and a prosperous "NEW YEAR"

runfiverun
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
glenn fryxell has some pointers for this kinda stuff at the lahsc website.
you can push the softer stuff a bit faster then you think.
i have got 12 bhn plain base up to 1600 and 18 bhn with g/c up to 2300 with accuracy.
fit and finish will dictate how fast you can go as much as your bhn.

randyrat
12-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Richard Lee's - Second edition,, has a chart in it relating to hardness and pressure.

357maximum
12-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Richard Lee's - Second edition,, has a chart in it relating to hardness and pressure.

I am not a big lee fan...but this book is a must have...:mrgreen:

12-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes about Lee Manual. There's a table in there that gives BHN vs Pressure. The problem arises when some interpolation or extrapolation has to be done. I expanded the table to include both CUP and PSI pressure measurements.... although the relationship between CUP and PSI is not perfectly linear. If the base manual data I'm working from indicates that a certain load shows a velocity of say 1400 fps with a certain pressure.... the Lee based table may require some interpretation for judging a minimum or optimum hardness.

All in all from what I've seen it seems to work fairly well and for sure better than taking a shot in the dark.... or at least may give some possible explanation for certain bullet alloys not working well or why accuracy goes south past a certain pressure/velocity.

randyrat
12-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Here is another good source of info..... You'll have enough to read until next Christmas http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
You can read a great deal from Glen E Fryxell

James C. Snodgrass
12-25-2008, 09:28 AM
According to Handloader and LBT a # 1447lbs to each # on the Brinell scale should equal obturation which should in theory prevent some leading , But it won't prevent leading from skidding . IMO most people cast a bullet to hard for most uses in a hand gun . I do cast water quenched in rifles but not many hand guns and would guesstimate that a hardness of 12 or 14 should do any thing in a revolver you could ask . James :???:

jjohnson
12-26-2008, 11:53 AM
:shock:

Wow, Gents, thanks a lot! I suppose I should have realized that I was going to get an answer like "it depends" since NOTHING worth a question is simple. I appreciate you've pointed out some reference materials I need to read through. Very kind of you all to point me in the right direction.

jj in Rochester MN