PDA

View Full Version : BlackHawk 30 carbine

JSH
12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Any of you guys had any luck shooting 140+ boolits in one of these? I keep running across one in 30C every other month or so.
I have some load data for heavier than normal loads. I think this was for a TC, but swear some one here had given me some data a few years back. I looked through my folders and could only find some hand written notes and one small article.
I have been waiting on Ruger to chamber the 327 in the black hawk but I imagine it will have a 312 or so bore.
I would like to keep 308-309 bore, so as to be able to use my 30 caliber mould selection.
ven if I had to design a heavy LBT style and have a mould made I would give it a shot if there is the possibility it would fly.
BTW, this is an IHMSA project and it will have to fly out to 200M. After market sights are going to be a must as the Ruger sights I have seen, leave a bit to be desired. Sights will be the least of my worries.
Any hands on experiance would be appreciated.
Jeff

beagle
12-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I've shot both the RCBS 7.62 130 SPL (139 grains) and the Lyman 311440 (147 grains) in a .30 Ruger BH.

Paco Kelly wrote a good article on this several years back. You might research his archives on Leverguns.com.

However......

There are several problems.

1. You have to maintain 1200 FPS to retain stability in that twist.

2. The cylinder length limits you to deep seating the bullet and the .30 Carbine case is cramped for space anyway.

3. With a deep seated bullet, the pressures go up and the cases stick.

It's obtainable with a very finely tunned load (see castpics/articles/Cast in the .30 Carbine Ruger).

You have to do some creative sizing to be able to get things all aligned perfectly.

I did find that I could shoot the Lyman 311465 (132 grains) pretty well with a lot less hassle so you might look at that. It's a pretty good little .30 bullet in the BH.

It's doeable but a lot of hassle.

I remember the article you mentioned. In the Fouling Shot some years back by Steve Hurst as well as I recall. He was shooting in a Contender with something in the neighborhood of 200 grain bullets that was fairly liberally throated.

Don't think it's doeable in a Ruger BH but I may be wrong./beagle

runfiverun
12-25-2008, 03:20 PM
i have a 30c ruger i basically turned it into a 327 before they had a 327 i used 32-20 brass and a mishmash of dies i also use a 100 gr 312 sized boolit.
i think it would shoot flat enough to go 200 but i doubt it would tip a ram.
i would just do the 357 and a 180 or 200 like everybody else and save the hassle.
you might be able to push the forcing cone some and your throats forward to help but you gotta find the right brass.
maybe necking down a 357 case to 30 would help but i don't think you will be able to do the heavy boolit you want.
especially when a 357 with a 158 would still top it.