PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Primer Pockets

cloverleaffrank
02-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Glad to be here guys, thank you for allowing me to join.
I’ve been reloading for over 35 years, tens of thousands of rounds under my belt but I am having a problem I’ve never encountered before. I’m having trouble trying to get my Primers Seated Flush in Both Commercial and Military.223/5.56 Once Fired Brass.
The primer Crimps have been removed. I use a Dillon Swedger /or a deburring bit.
The problem is the pockets are so darn shallow. .114- .116 on most of the federal 223 and some of the lake city 2016 2017. I have a primer pocket uniform tool, however I’ve never had to remove .006 of material from a primer pocket in 35 years of reloading. How did the factory even seat the primers??!!
I’ve used 4 different means of trying to seat them and 4 different brands of primers. It’s definitely a problem with the brass. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?? It’s gonna take a good while tocut the pockets on 3,000 or so pieces of brass.
Thank you In Advance

DCB
02-20-2021, 04:57 PM
I checked some of my Brass it Measures 0.1165 to 0.118 deep.
it sounds strange that Both 223 and 556 have the same problem??
Did you swedge both brass?
I just chanfer the primer pockets never did Swedge them.
what are you using to seat the primers?

daengmei
02-20-2021, 06:30 PM
Could the primer stem have been set too deep during initial removal? Could this even cause the outside edge of the pocket to move?

cloverleaffrank
02-20-2021, 06:36 PM
Yes, swedged all that are crimped both the Federal and the LC.
I have a Hornady Lock n Load , that wasn’t seating them. The I tried both my RCBS Hand primers also, and even my Rock Chucker. I’m at a loss here. All of my older brass is fine.
Just the most recent stuff I’ve been preparing.

cloverleaffrank
02-20-2021, 06:39 PM
Geeze Ooh !!!!! That may be it. I’m gonna check as soon as I get home.
I have to keep it set a bit lower whenever I size and deprime in the Lock and Load
In order to get the primers to fall completely out into the spent primer tube.
I’ll definitely check!
Thank you so much

David2011
02-21-2021, 01:30 AM
Hi Frank,

Welcome to Castboolits. A Lee universal decapping die might help with the depth issue if you determine that’s the problem. You can grind a slight angle on the tip of a decapping pin to help release spent primers as well. The symmetrical tip on most decapping pins can cause decapping issues.

Sometimes “Reply With Quote” helps readers understand to what you’re responding.

M-Tecs
02-21-2021, 02:14 AM
The Dillon 600 Super Swager was improperly adjusted. You collapsed the primer pocket from the inside by having to much pressure on the case locator rod. Get yourself a carbide primer uniformer and recut the primer pockets.

Cut one of the case heads open and it will be easy to see. Don't ask how I know about this.

cloverleaffrank
02-21-2021, 05:21 AM
[QUOTE=David2011;5124464]Hi Frank,

Welcome to Castboolits. A Lee universal decapping die might help with the depth issue if you determine that’s the problem. You can grind a slight angle on the tip of a decapping pin to help release spent primers as well. The symmetrical tip on most decapping pins can cause decapping issues.
Sometimes “Reply With Quote” helps readers understand to what you’re responding.[/QUOTE

Thank you so very much, I appreciate your advice

cloverleaffrank
02-21-2021, 05:25 AM
The Dillon 600 Super Swager was improperly adjusted. You collapsed the primer pocket from the inside by having to much pressure on the case locator rod. Get yourself a carbide primer uniformer and recut the primer pockets.

Cut one of the case heads open and it will be easy to see. Don't ask how I know about this.

Thank you , I generally keep my swedger adjusted PROPERLY , which can be a challenge with different with different types of brass, different thicknesses in the webs
I’ve made a very time consuming mistake if that’s what I did.
Which sounds VERY possible

Mandoair
11-17-2021, 11:45 PM
I ran into much the same thing yesterday. Mixed 10mm brass that I have been shooting for some time. I never noticed a problem before but the primers just won’t go below the face. I have been using a rock chuker and Hornady dies. The pockets are measuring around.118 to .120. Went out and got a uniformer and went to hogging out to .121 or so. I have used these cases 4 or 5 times now. Any way trying to figure out why the pockets are so shallow. Is it normal ware and tear? Been using cci 350s but light loads. We use what we have Yes❓ I am new to this kind of work. Thanks

country gent
11-18-2021, 10:31 AM
To alleviate the primer ejection stone a light radius on the corners if the pin. This keeps the anvil from gripping the corner. Only takes a few minutes to do.

Sinclairs used to sell a very good uniformer tool designed to run in a drill motor. But when removing this much you may have to clear chips 1 or 2 times. Once the face cutters flutes fill it just rubs. On the plus side you may see an increase in accuracy from the square flat pockets.

rbuck351
11-18-2021, 11:39 PM
I have two of the Sinclair uniformer tools (small and lg rifle) and they are great. I use mine in a mini lathe and just push the case on the tool. I was surprised how uneven the factory primer pockets are.

hiram
11-19-2021, 01:18 AM
I have a Hornady LNL AP and there is a problem that can occur. From extended use, the bottom of the primer seater presses a depression on the press base. Glue or paste a shim on the base, over the depression, to create a higher surface for the primer seater to come in contact with.

lightman
11-22-2021, 05:55 PM

This has happened to me too! I think it may have happened to you too! I may be the only person ever to sell a Dillon Swager!

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!

DDRanch
11-23-2021, 01:00 AM
I just noticed the same problem with a small batch of FC brass that I ran on my 1050.
Not every piece of brass had this problem, maybe 10% or so.

BrassMagnet
11-24-2021, 01:15 PM
I have noticed S&B .357 brass is all too shallow. Long ago I noticed FC 58 38 Spl brass too shallow. It will be a while before I finish uniforming the S&B 357 brass.