PDA

View Full Version : lyman 55 powder mesure

primersp
12-24-2008, 06:22 AM
hello
is anyone uses lyman 55 with coarse-grained powder with good results?
is better than rcbs uniflow?
thanks

Junior1942
12-24-2008, 08:36 AM
The 55 and the Uniflow are about the same with coarse-grained powder. I prefer my 55 to my Uniflow because (a) it's smaller; (b) you can clamp it on a shelf; and (c) everybody knows redheads are better than blondes.

Seriously, being able to clamp the 55 in any spot along the edge of a wooden shelf is handy.

cajun shooter
12-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Now Jr, At our age they all look good. I have both in smokeless and black powder versions. 2 RCBS, 2 Lymans and 2 Dillons. In black I like the Lyman better as the adjustment on the barrell works better. The RCBS does a better job with smokless IMHO. THe drum lines are hard to see on the Lyman but that's my problem.

Maven
12-24-2008, 02:05 PM
primersp, The coarsest powder I've used in my Ly. #55 is IMR 4350 and it throws it reasonably accurately. I.e., I weigh every charge of that propellant, set the measure so that it consistently drops a charge that is a trifle light, and then bring it to the desired weight via a powder trickler. You may want to buy a small notebook and record the settings for each powder and charge weight you use so as to allow fairly repeatable results and faster set up. If you're thinking of trying IMR 5010 (very chunky!) with the #55 think again: A Lee Dipper is much faster and easier to use.

primersp
12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
thanks gentelmen for yours answers ,i own a uniflow since 80 and like you MAVEN i use a lee dipper, trickler and scale for coarse powder
i will stay with it
have a nice day and merry christmas

ANDRE

primersp
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
oups! is the stand of the rcbs works for the lyman?

scrapcan
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Andre,

The lyman does not mount like the rcbs as the rcbs has a threaded prtion of 7/8x14. The lyman has a small screw clamp on the backside, have a look at this link

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=703838&t=11082005

However you may be able to clamp the lyman to the side of the rcbs mount if you can miss the hole and still have enough room for the rotating drum.

primersp
12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
ok
thanks JEREMY for the answer the rebate at midway is the same here
in euro but less than a ebay action and is new
i 'm amazing that somebody can pay used reloading stuff on ebay

have a nice day ,for us it's soon finish
regards
ANDRE

No_1
12-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I must disagree. The Lyman comes with an adapter that has 7/8-14 threads. I am looking at mine now mounted to the bench on the Lyman stand WHICH is the exact same stand that I have mounted my RCBS powder drop in. If you read the small print on the midway site you will see the adapter is included. It slides up in the powder measure and is secured by the lock screw on the back of the measure. I do like this design better than the RCBS because it makes it fast/easy to empty the measure when I am done.
Robert

Andre,

The lyman does not mount like the rcbs as the rcbs has a threaded prtion of 7/8x14. The lyman has a small screw clamp on the backside, have a look at this link

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=703838&t=11082005

However you may be able to clamp the lyman to the side of the rcbs mount if you can miss the hole and still have enough room for the rotating drum.

Larry Gibson
12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I have 2 55s and have been using them for 40 years. I've tried other throwers along the way but haven't found a one that is as accrate as the 55 including a couple BR models. Accuracy comes with knowing how many "knocks" to knock the knocker with each kind of powder. I use from 1 to 4 knocks depending on the powder and get very consistent throws.

Now when it comes to the coarser powders I don't think any of them throw with what I call "reasonable accuracy except Lee's "best thing known to man since peanut butter" thrower. For a cheap and flimsy piece of equipment it throws the coarser powders mor consistantly that any other.

Larry Gibson

shotman
12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
do you see WHY the 55 get the price on feebay they are the best 4350 IS a little hard but it does throw within a 1gr if you do the same ----[tap - tap drop-tap ]thing you will get it

Willbird
12-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm thinking the threaded powder drop tube is the same thread as tong tool dies. I do have a 7/8-14 adapter for that thread, you can also thread the adaptor into many uniflow mounts, and then simply clamp the 55 onto the adaptor.

You can also take a C clamp of the proper size to fit a taller bench, and braze a large hex nut on the back of the C so as to be able to clamp the 55 onto the nut.

Bill

tonyb
12-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I missed a chance to buy a No55 for $30. My friend has one and I loved it.:confused:

mikenbarb
12-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Just buy yourself a nice Christmas present and get a Harrell's. I promise you will not be disappointed and will have it for the rest of your life and be able to pass it on to a real lucky person.

Geraldo
12-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Just buy yourself a nice Christmas present and get a Harrell's. I promise you will not be disappointed and will have it for the rest of your life and be able to pass it on to a real lucky person.

Out of curiosity I looked at their website and it appears you might need two of them. Do they make one that will work from 3gr of Bullseye up to large rifle charges?

Doug Bowser
12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a Lyman 55 measure I bought in 1957. It was used when I bought it. I have dropped all brands and numbers of powder through it, including the holy black. I was dropping hundreds of 60 grain FFG charges into .58 cardboard tubes long before they decided to make a BP measure. Has anyone EVER heard or seen a Model 55 suffer an explosion while dropping BP loads?

I attended the NRA Meeting in San Antonio, TX in 1981. Creighton Audette taught a class on making accurate reloads for long range shooting. He said the powder charges can miss being accurate by .5 grain, high or low. The important thing is, that the ammunition is straight and concentric. Two other teachers were Plamissano and Palm (can't remember their 1st names). They developed the .220 PPC cartridge. They agreed with Creighton. Creighton was the coach and a shooter for the US Palma Team (1000 yard shooting).

I had a Winchester Model 70 Factory Target Rifle and I had some very good results while I was not weighing each charge. I used 3031, 4895 and 4320 powder. I recall a 10 shot prone group at 500 yards that was under 3". I also shot 300 yard International rifle matches. The 10 ring is 3" at 300 yards. My prone scores were always in the 190's.

cajun shooter
12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Doug, I've never heard of a 55 blowing up. Now have you ever followed me around for a day? I'm the guy who could be run over by a GREYHOUND BUS while climbing MT. EVEREST. So to not leave anything to chance, I have a Lyman 55 Black Powder measure with aluminum reservoir and brass drum. I also have the same in RCBS. A blown face is not the type of accident that I want to recover from. The price of both measures was much less than any medical bills for such a problem.I have a friend who tells people that you do what is in your comfort level. Knowing my life long luck had me buying the measures so that I would be in my comfort level.

Doug Bowser
12-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Doug, I've never heard of a 55 blowing up. Now have you ever followed me around for a day? I'm the guy who could be run over by a GREYHOUND BUS while climbing MT. EVEREST. So to not leave anything to chance, I have a Lyman 55 Black Powder measure with aluminum reservoir and brass drum. I also have the same in RCBS. A blown face is not the type of accident that I want to recover from. The price of both measures was much less than any medical bills for such a problem.I have a friend who tells people that you do what is in your comfort level. Knowing my life long luck had me buying the measures so that I would be in my comfort level.

Cajun Shooter, I think I have met you. My SASS handle was Lone Yankee. I used to shoot SASS matches in Covington, LA at Tallow Creek. I knew Cajun Saddletramp. My Lyman 55 is a very old one and has brass parts in the inside. I know that many of the North South Skirmish Associaiton clubs used Lyman 55 measures in the 1950's-80's, to fill their .58 cartridge tubes. I was just wondering if anyone ever had a real problem with the Lyman 55 standard measure and BP. I don't blame you for being cautious. At the time I started using the measure, there was no problem mentioned by Lyman or anyone else.

By the way, it takes a lot of nerve to wear a Blue kepi with my Grandfather's unit numbers on it. Especially at CAS matches in Mississippi and Louisiana. Nerve I have.

Doug Bowser
12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm thinking the threaded powder drop tube is the same thread as tong tool dies. I do have a 7/8-14 adapter for that thread, you can also thread the adaptor into many uniflow mounts, and then simply clamp the 55 onto the adaptor.

You can also take a C clamp of the proper size to fit a taller bench, and braze a large hex nut on the back of the C so as to be able to clamp the 55 onto the nut.

Bill

Lyman used to make a press called a Truline Junior. It was a turret press and it used 310 dies. the threaded drop tube on the 55 measure allowed it to be screwed into the turret on the truline Jr. press.

Boerrancher
12-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I have quite a bit of Lyman equipment, including the old 55 measure. With the exception of my pistol rounds, all I load is stick powder, for myself anyway. I listened to everyone about 15 years ago and started trying all of the others and, "got rid of that old junk Lyman." Well, all I can say now is that old Junk Lyman is the only brand of powder measure you will find on my loading bench, and sometimes I do mount it on my True Line Jr press for ease of operation.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mikenbarb
12-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Geraldo, Their Premium model may but think that their made for larger loads and the pistol would be the one for smaller charges. I know they have a few options and you would have to call them. Mine is the Culver model and it wont go that low.

hedgehorn
12-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I have one that I use for my pistol powder when loading single stage. I almost always have 2400 in it and it meters as accurately as my UniFlow measures but its a bit more aggravating to adjust the weight.

shooting on a shoestring
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
+1 for Lyman 55 - I've got 2 - both used and old and good. I've run Goex through mine w/o problems, still have my face and fingers.

For stick powders and rifle loads, I drop light and trickle to weight.

cajun shooter
12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm happy for all of you that are tempting fate by using metal drum powder measures for BP. May you live long and happy lives with all your orignal attachments. I will continue to do what works for me and the world will keep turning.

scrapcan
01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry guys,

I always forget about using the truline drop tube and a 7/8X14 bushing. yes you can use this to mount a 55. I have to use two lock rings to get it to work on my home made stand, one above and one below the mount plate when using the 7/8x14 adapter. For me it was easier to just put a flat bar wing off to one side of my home made stand and just use the built in clamp. the flat bar stock tab also works for the B&M visible powder measure.