PDA

View Full Version : When You Go Into The Outhouse, Check For Bears!

Three44s
02-19-2021, 10:51 AM
When you go into the outhouse you better check for bears!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-woman-outhouse-bear

Three44s

contender1
02-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Wow. Just wow.

BigAlofPa.
02-19-2021, 11:06 AM
That would be a heck of an experience. Some of the comments on the article are funny too.

1hole
02-19-2021, 03:04 PM
My bear story comes from the first time I ever visited the Smokemont Campground in the Great Smoky Park. We'd set up and eaten dinner at one of the campsites that had in clear view of the centrally located latrines/showers about a hundred years away.

As the sun was going down there was a bit of noise across the road and up the slope. I soon saw 5-6 scattered black bear coming down to raid the garbage cans. Now anyone living in western NC knows black bear are animals of habit and they don't have a habit of eating people so I was unconcerned. I turned my folding chair to watch the bears. I saw 3-4 women enter the women's room and thought it would be a riot if a 150 pound bear went in there along with some yankee city women so I watched. Sure enough, a smallish bear went in .... it took maybe a full minute before I heard the first banshee yell and an obese middle aged woman (fully dressed) flew out the door ... never have I seen so much fat moving so fast!

Back at the door, all was quite another minute. Then another yell and another woman safely shot out but I knew more were in there. Another minute, there came a mass of screams and wails, sounded like maybe twenty of 'em was in there, before three more women popped out and the puzzled bear slowly followed; that was all.

After I could breath again without gasping for air I told my wife about it as she was leaving to hit the showers herself. Now, you should know that my women is country raised and she ain't never been intimidated by anything that flies, walks or swims. When she returned she said there were several small boxed-in individual showers/dressing rooms inside so none of the occupants could have known what all the noise was about until they opened their own door.

God forgive me. I'd like to think I would have had the courage to run in and save those showering damsels in distress if I thought they were actually being harmed but, after that first gal shot out
- quite obviously very uninjured - I was laffing too hard to walk, never mind running over there to save them!

Three44s
02-20-2021, 10:50 AM
They claim the woman’s injuries were not too bad and that is good news!

One wonders, what sort of warning sign who ever is responsible for the oddly constructed outhouse(open in the back) will put there.

“Beware your Dariare in case there is a bear down there”?

OR

“The bear only takes so much til it bites”

Three44s

thxmrgarand
02-20-2021, 11:39 AM
My wife and I lived in that town for a number of years. We still pass through it because driving from where we live now requires either taking a 6 hour ferry ride there to get on the highway that goes into Canada, or taking the a different 4-day ferry to Washington. A few weeks ago a snow-boarder disturbed a brown bear sow and her cubs and was thrashed by the bear. Actually, he was the third snow-boarder over the hibernating bears. When we first moved there an old fellow who walked around town only with difficulty, and could not work, appeared to me to have Parkinson's or some other nervous system disorder but I was told that instead he was a brown bear attack victim. He had shot a moose and after the first trip out with meat the moose had been covered with brush. He was taking the brush off when attacked. A fellow who had been in on packing the fellow out to a boat told me that the rescuers later were standing in front of a river-bank cabin when a long way out into the very wide braided river a brown bear began running toward them. They thought it may have been the bear that attacked the fellow. About 8 fellows emptied their revolvers into the bear, some of them twice, as it kept coming at them. He figured the bear may have had at least 50 hits in it before it fell. I'll close with one impression I have; when you have to shoot a bear under what Fish and Game calls DLP - defense of life and property - and tell F&G they make you take a day off from work to go out and skin the bear. You have to pack out the hide and maybe some meat, and neither is given to you, the shooter. On the other hand, if you don't tell F&G then that's the end of the story. So in my view people who cite bear spray v. guns stats incorrectly assume that their numbers are correct whereas I would guess that perhaps only one in 8 to 12 DLP brown bear shooting incidents are reported.

Three44s
02-20-2021, 09:40 PM
thxmrgarand,

That’s quite a situation, sounds like S,S and leave is the best strategy!

I don’t think I could get fifty rounds off with my 629 Mountain Gun during a charge, probably just have Purple Cross on tap!

Three44s

fatnhappy
02-20-2021, 11:00 PM
Was it Pooh bear?

Three44s
02-21-2021, 01:43 AM
Was it Pooh bear?

Hmmmmm, I guess it was a No Poo Bear because it bit the gal’s behind and that sent the poo running?

I guarantee you one thing, the injured woman will never take another toilet for granted! Everyone will get a serious inspection for things that go ‘ker snap in the night!

Three44s

Mr_Sheesh
02-21-2021, 02:51 AM
An outhouse with an open back sounds like something a creeper would build, sorta odd. Needs a door on there to keep wildlife out!

Three44s
02-21-2021, 06:40 AM
An outhouse with an open back sounds like something a creeper would build, sorta odd. Needs a door on there to keep wildlife out!

That was my take right off. I read something about it being built on a slope and rocks were piled on the back side and some had rolled away allowing the bear access. Makes you wonder if there is even much of a pit for waste to go in the ground or does it just sort of slide off the slope?

Three44s

abunaitoo
02-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Was it Pooh bear?

Now that is funny.

beemer
02-22-2021, 01:10 AM
Back in the 50's I had a neighbor that was bitten by a Black Widow Spyder on very sensitive place while using the out house. Gave him a lot of trouble but he eventually recovered.

slim1836
02-22-2021, 01:32 AM
We have an outhouse at the hunting cabin (family property) with a sloping, open back (bottom portion) outhouse. It's easier to get the bottom part of a 55 gal. drum out of there to pour diesel on to burn the waste.

No bears there though.

Slim

Three44s
02-22-2021, 04:10 AM
Back in the 50's I had a neighbor that was bitten by a Black Widow Spyder on very sensitive place while using the out house. Gave him a lot of trouble but he eventually recovered.

Well, between a bear, a black widow spider OR of a story I was told I think I would take my chances out in the wide open spaces!

The story I was told was that an elderly gentleman who preferred to take his time and have a “smoke” while he took part in his daily relief was out in the outhouse and suddenly a big boom was heard from the house!

The folks there ran out to see their grand father laying outside on the ground and as they got him to his feet and upon their cries, “Grand Pa, Grand Pa, are you all right?”

A rather stunned and confused elder exclaimed, “It must a bin’ some tin’ I ‘et .....”?

Well the fact is some family member had just dumped a jag of cleaning solvent down the hole!

As Grand Pa smoked he ignited the dumped fluids vapors and the resulting explosion blew him through the closed door and onto the ground!

True story too, the guy who related that story worked for me and he knew the folks involved!

Three44s

Three44s
02-22-2021, 04:18 AM
We have an outhouse at the hunting cabin (family property) with a sloping, open back (bottom portion) outhouse. It's easier to get the bottom part of a 55 gal. drum out of there to pour diesel on to burn the waste.

No bears there though.

Slim

Man, I’d hate to draw the short straw on that project!

Best regards

Three44s

Stephen Cohen
02-22-2021, 04:42 AM
I would have thought everyone who ever used an outhouse would know to check before sitting, while we don't have Bears in Australia we do have snakes rats and spiders. I had an old lady friend who was bitten on the private parts by a redback spider and although painful, she said the worst thing was the laughter of the medical staff treating her. There is a song called, there was a redback on the toilet seat when I sat there last night, good for a giggle if you google it. Regards Stephen