PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor

blackthorn
02-18-2021, 11:11 PM
I will soon be in the market for a small (5 to9 HP) outboard to use as a trolling motor on my 12 foot aluminum boat. I am looking for a 4 cycle model. Any suggestions will be thankfully received. Thanks.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2021, 11:23 PM
I'd look for a place close by that works on them and parts availability.

A bargain priced motor looses a lot of its appeal if you can't even get tune up parts for it.
Or if the closest dealer/mechanic is 400 miles away.

Gtrubicon
02-18-2021, 11:51 PM
I have a 6 hp mercury as a kicker motor on my 16ft fishing boat, it probably has more hours than the main motor. It is more than 10 years old and has been 100% reliable. Very easy to service, just clear the carb of gas at the end of the day and it will start 1st or 2nd pull every time. It is every bit as reliable as the Honda that is the main motor. The crazy thing is that Mercury didn’t actually make the motor, Taihatsu makes all of Mercury outboards small units. The Taihatsu are generally cheaper than the Mercury. Only difference is the sticker on the cover.

webfoot10
02-19-2021, 12:04 AM
Honda 7.5 if they still make them. Mine is over 20 years old and still runs well.
I use mine in both salt and fresh water. But I always flush in fresh water after
every use.

megasupermagnum
02-19-2021, 02:15 AM
My advice is don't get a 4 stroke. There are way too many great 2 stroke small outboards that are more reliable, simpler, less maintenance, less weight, more power. There are no drawbacks to going with a 2 stroke.

tomme boy
02-19-2021, 02:17 AM
Tahatsu makes all of mercury motors under 60hp. So you can save a litle $$$ by getting one of them. But mercury does use their own tiller handles and some ofthe shallow drives. Some of te small suzuki and i think hondas are also tathatsus. All of evenrudes 4 strokes if they still have any are also tahatsus. Small yamahas are alsotahatsu. Notice any trends here?

Duckiller
02-19-2021, 02:46 AM
Evinrudes are all 2 stroke. Always have been.

GregLaROCHE
02-19-2021, 05:46 AM
Seems like you are looking for a lot of motor if you just want to troll with it. A long time ago, I had a 6hp on a 12ft aluminum boat and it would plane off. Now if you need a motor to get you to your fishing spot, I understand, but if you are in rowing distance, why not think of an electric trolling motor?

GhostHawk
02-19-2021, 07:55 AM
I'm with Greg. My 16.5 foot the trolling motor gets run more than the 20 hp merc.

But I do have a 48 lb thrust MinnKota, in camo paint job no less.

Unless your normal fishing is BIG water, fresh or salt I'd go with an electric.

winelover
02-19-2021, 09:09 AM
I'm pushing a 22 foot fishing pontoon, with a 24 volt/54 # thrust, electric Minnkota. I maintain 2.2 mph, trolling for about 2-2 1/2 hours, with light winds. When the winds pick up, later in the AM, I either switch to the main 115 HP Merc or troll with the electric, against my back. If I don't catch any Stripers, in 2 1/2 hours, it's time to quit, anyways.

Winelover

Blanket
02-19-2021, 09:30 AM
4 strokes are a lot heavier than 2 strokes, something to think about on a 12 ft boat. I have had great luck with Yamaha

Ickisrulz
02-19-2021, 09:52 AM
Tahatsu makes all of mercury motors under 60hp. So you can save a litle $$$ by getting one of them. But mercury does use their own tiller handles and some ofthe shallow drives. Some of te small suzuki and i think hondas are also tathatsus. All of evenrudes 4 strokes if they still have any are also tahatsus. Small yamahas are alsotahatsu. Notice any trends here?

Tohatsu is the largest outboard motor manufacturer in the world. I have a 2 stroke 18 hp (2001) that I am still happy with. It sat for 10 years one time and then started right up.

atr
02-19-2021, 09:53 AM
I use a electric 30 lb thrust for trolling on my 12 boat. The larger motor is a 6 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I don't use the Yamaha for trolling, but for moving from spot to spot and controlling the boat in strong winds. I have used both the Yamaha and, in the past, a 5 HP Honda 4-stroke. I can recommend both of those. The weight of the Yamaha and Honda was an acceptable 60 Lbs. Yes the 2 strokes are lighter, but the 4 strokes burn cleaner.

Kylongrifle32
02-19-2021, 09:56 AM
I have a 2000 9.9 Mercury four stroke that I use on a 17 foot aluminum boat. Our small state lakes require a 10 horse or less motor. This motor will idle down so low that you can almost count the piston strokes and will chug along all day off a 5 gallon fuel tank. It weighs 5 pounds more than the 25 HP two stroke that I switch out for when I'm on the river.

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Always was a merc man. From way back even when I was in the coast guard. Now 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is a sketchy argument. Four strokes are heavier but its a minor differnce when your talking under 10hp motors. Fuel economy is about a wash. newer two strokes are good on gas. 4 strokes a tiny bit better on small motors. But then you dont have to fool with injection oil. Both last a long time. Maybe a small edge to 4 strokes in the smaller motors. Price of a 2 stroke is hands down less. So probably over the life of a motor the higher price of a 4 stroke is ate up by not having to buy oil and a bit better fuel economy.

performance. Big 2-300 hp motors? the 2 strokes have an edge. They just rev faster so accelerate faster. So there at least quicker out of the hole. Under 10hp? again an non issue. If the 2 strokes have an edge the buyer of a 8 hp motor probably doesnt care. Now all that said my choice. i would look at what you boat is rated for max hp and buy that size motor in a 4 stroke unless you cant afford it. If for no other reason there quieter and dont stink and will idle or troll forever without fouling a plug. IF you are weak or take your motor on and off every day maybe a 2 stroke is for you but theres a good reason 4 strokes have about taken over the outboard market today. There not the huge lead anchors they were at first.

Now brand. Like i said im a merc guy. But will say that a honda, yamaha, evinrude, or johnson would be every bit as good. Id stay away from any other brands because you might find yourself some day in a town with a broke motor and no dealer to get it fixed or get parts. Anohter reason would be resale. Tahatsu might make mercs (i dont know) but if im comming to look at your boat im going to pay you more for it if it has a merc on it. Bombardier and Suzuki make good motors too but again people trust mercs, hondas and yamahas over any of the others. Johnson and evinrude are a close second. Ive been around outboards and have owned them all my life and anyone that says a 2 stroke is superior in any way other then 0-30 is smoking crack.

ill say this. My boat is a 21 foot whaler outrage. Its an 89. I bought it used in 98 with a 150 merc 2 stroke carbed motor. Two year ago i swapped it out for a 150 four stroke merc. old motor had 500 hours on it and was TIRED. New motor gets near twice the fuel economy. granted a direct injected two stroke would probably near do that too. It comes out of the hole a bit slower but someone whos never been on still thinks its fast. It will idle all day if i want to troll and even at full throttle you can carry on a normal coversation because its whisper quiet. i asked the guy i deal with at the shop about longevity and he said youll change out to bottom ends before that top end get tired. Id have a 4 stroke kicker too but the old merc 2 stroke is still running good and for the little i use it proabably will last forever. By the way that dealer says today he sells 4 strokes 5 to 1 over 2 strokes.

Blanket
02-19-2021, 10:23 AM
I have a 2000 9.9 Mercury four stroke that I use on a 17 foot aluminum boat. Our small state lakes require a 10 horse or less motor. This motor will idle down so low that you can almost count the piston strokes and will chug along all day off a 5 gallon fuel tank. It weighs 5 pounds more than the 25 HP two stroke that I switch out for when I'm on the river. so your 9.9 weighs 5 lbs more than a 25? What a way to make a point

Petrol & Powder
02-19-2021, 10:46 AM
I see the OP is in British Columbia. I don't know the rules there but a lot of places frown on 2 stroke boat motors and some places outright ban them. So that may be a factor.
The small amount of weight difference in the modern 4 stoke verses 2 stokes engines under 10HP, is minimal. So another win for the 4 stroke.
The ability of a 4 stroke to run at low rpm's without fouling a plug, is also a plus. And the 4 stokes are a bit more efficient. (don't confuse efficiency with power to weight ratio). And there's no need to buy 2 stroke oil for a 4 stroke engine.

A 4 stroke will burn less fuel, for the same amount of power, when compared to a 2 stroke. But the 2 stroke will make more power for the same amount of weight (at the cost of more fuel). In the under 10 HP class the weight difference isn't as big as it was in years past, so that's not a huge issue. In the bigger engines, the 2 stroke starts to outperform the heavier 4 stroke engines .

I agree that a big electric is probably a better bet in most situations. Electric motors have come a LONG way in the last 20 years.

In terms of low maintenance, low fuel consumption, reliability and emissions - the 4 stroke wins hands down in the under 10 HP class.

Ural Driver
02-19-2021, 01:22 PM
His choice of a 4-stroke could be because the lake or area he fishes has restrictions on high-emission engines.

farmbif
02-19-2021, 01:25 PM
its pretty hard to beat the Yamaha outboards

blackthorn
02-19-2021, 02:17 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft., only about two and a half miles long by seven or eight hundred yards wide. It does however often have some pretty strong winds and if we have to come back to the cabin against the wind, a too small motor is not good. As far as electric, I considered that but the cabin is situated on a flat spot cut (by hand originally) into about a 50% grade and about 50 yards up from the lake shore. I am 82 and my fishing partner is 87 so packing the battery for an electric motor up that bank every day to the gen-set is not appealing. Even worse would be taking the gen set down to the shore. While I am in the process of deciding what to buy, the 5 to 9 HP was/is just a point to consider. I would rather have a bit too much power than too little. I appreciate all the comments and advice, so please don’t stop now. Have a great day.

MaryB
02-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Mercury is the go to for pro fishermen... they need reliability.I am debating buying a medium sized jon boat(16') and building a flat front deck on it, adding nice seats etc. Good enough for the small local lakes unless it is really windy, and perfect for the river. So I have been researching motors too and keep coming back to the merc 4 stroke.

BamaNapper
02-19-2021, 06:51 PM
I was looking into getting a Jon boat to use for lake fishing around here. While poking around on Amazon I see the small 4-stroke outboards they offer. 4-5 HP is typical but reviews say don't expect that much power. They are a long way from typical outboards, but at somewhere $300-400 for a 4HP 4-stroke it gets tempting. They don't have a shifter, if you want to back up you turn the motor backwards. It's air cooled and doesn't exhaust out the foot. It looks basically like an engine and gas tank from a back pack leaf blower (50-60cc) on a simple outboard foot.

Has anyone actually tried one of these? I haven't bought one yet but I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP. The motors seem to weigh 30-50 lbs and are made for inflatables, but it seems they should push a Jon boat around well enough. I'd still use an electric most of the time but would like the idea of the small gas motor to get off the water in case of weather.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just thinking that this type product might open up possibilities for the OP as well if there are any favorable thoughts.

jonp
02-19-2021, 06:57 PM
I've seen quite a lot of 4 strokes from small Honda motors to big ocean models used on fishing and dive boats. Most people I know who use the small 4 strokes swear by the Honda. Those on the big boats seem to like the Johnson models. I have no idea what Evinrude is doing with thos weird looking motor covers. Going after millennials I guess but I'd never buy one. One guy has a Tahaitsu or however he spells it. Says it works fine but if I were in the market specifically for a 4 stroke I'd go with the Honda. In fact, if I was buying a new motor I think I would go for a 4 stroke even though they cost more.

Grew up on a lake and we always had a boat. The lake to the Canada border was about 4 miles give or take. We used to troll in the evenings for rainbow and most of the year fished for perch or bullpout. We always had a 6hp Johnson on a 14ft steel boat and it did everything we needed from fishing to getting to the duck blind down at the end in the swamp. I wouldn't think that you would have to go much over that for what you are talking about unless you are in a hurry to get to the other end for some reason. I never was.

jonp
02-19-2021, 07:08 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft., only about two and a half miles long by seven or eight hundred yards wide. It does however often have some pretty strong winds and if we have to come back to the cabin against the wind, a too small motor is not good. As far as electric, I considered that but the cabin is situated on a flat spot cut (by hand originally) into about a 50% grade and about 50 yards up from the lake shore. I am 82 and my fishing partner is 87 so packing the battery for an electric motor up that bank every day to the gen-set is not appealing. Even worse would be taking the gen set down to the shore. While I am in the process of deciding what to buy, the 5 to 9 HP was/is just a point to consider. I would rather have a bit too much power than too little. I appreciate all the comments and advice, so please don’t stop now. Have a great day.

The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft.,

That's an awfully high altitude for a lake? :shock:

Petrol & Powder
02-19-2021, 07:23 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft.,

That's an awfully high altitude for a lake? :shock:

OK, THAT WAS FUNNY !:lol:

Mk42gunner
02-19-2021, 10:51 PM
Awful hard to beat a Japanese four stroke outboard in the under twenty five horse power class these days.

I have a fifteen HP Yamaha on my 14' jonboat. Miserly fuel consumption, and it beats my buddies 15 HP Johnson two stroke out of the hole.

Robert

David2011
02-20-2021, 12:25 AM
Blackthorn, I just hope I’m doing as well as you at 82. Kudos!

Lloyd Smale
02-20-2021, 05:47 AM
I vote for this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mecury+marine&docid=13894795226192&mid=2AAB5052653E9311185F2AAB5052653E9311185F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

go big or go home

Ural Driver
02-20-2021, 10:39 AM

Makes perfect sense on all points. :drinks:

Ural Driver
02-20-2021, 10:49 AM
I vote for this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mecury+marine&docid=13894795226192&mid=2AAB5052653E9311185F2AAB5052653E9311185F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

go big or go home

:holysheep I notice they ain't listing prices yet......

megasupermagnum
02-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Boy you guys are over thinking this. The OP wants a good reliable little motor to troll around a small lake. The market is flooded with fantastic 5-10 hp 2 stroke outboards that are tough as nails. In this HP range, they are all quiet, and fuel efficient. I've oared all over as a kid, and still run an electric motor for duck hunting sloughs. I would not recommend either to a 80+ year old for fishing.

I've ran outboards of a large range in HP on small boats. Around 10hp can sometimes plane a 12' boat, but that depends on the load and weather. With 2 guys, and gear, it can be tough. A 15 HP will almost always plane 12' and 14' boats, but not all 12' boats are rated for 15 hp motors. Instead, one of my all time favorites is an Evinrude 6 HP. You won't plane, but you will get around at a decent speed, 6-7 MPH. I've had two 6 HP Evinrude's, one a 70's model, and one an 80's. Both were great, but I would recommend an electric ignition one. I believe Evinrude/Johnson went to that in 1972ish. There is nothing wrong with Mercury, but they never made that many small outboards compared to Evinrude/Johnson. Mercury was never known as fuel efficient. Those smaller Evinrude's will troll all day long, they run smooth as a babys bottom. One more thing, the smaller 5-6 HP 2 strokes are very easy to pull start compared to any 4 stroke, or even the 10-15 HP 2 strokes.

Don't over complicate this. Buy a 2 stroke. They are lighter, simpler, and easier to start. Mix gas 50:1, change the water impeller every couple years, and go fishing. Leave the complexities to the large outboards.

Cast_outlaw
02-20-2021, 11:59 AM
Mercs Yamaha and Honda are all super reliable and common witch makes parts easy I got two Yamaha’s on my 24’ aluminum and a merc 20 on a 14’ Lund all have been great with only oil changes

Petrol & Powder
02-20-2021, 12:16 PM
I know nothing about British Columbia regulations but there are a lot of places that just flat out ban 2 stroke engines. And on some lakes you'll get dirty looks if you put one in the water.

The weight difference between the small 2 stroke outboards and the small 4 stroke outboards isn't that great these days. I would say in the under 10HP class that is a non-issue.

While neither type is going to use a lot of fuel, there's no doubt the 4 stroke will use less with all else being equal.

And while 2 stroke engines have come a long way over the years, the 4 stroke designs run cleaner no matter what. And the 4 strokes still tolerate low speed trolling better than 2 stroke engines.

Ateam
02-20-2021, 12:34 PM
I will second the evinrude 6hp 2 stroke being the best outboard ever made for small boats. They are one of the few TWO cylinder small outboards ever made, that makes the vibration at low rpm much less than a single. I find single cylinders very obnoxious to troll with. I also will second the electric start as pulling a cold or flooded motor is only for the young/dumb, it will also charge your electronics if you are using electric down riggers, etc. No one makes a new version of this motor unfortunately, and you will have to look on the used market. Parts and service are easily available in north America.

jonp
02-20-2021, 02:49 PM
:holysheep I notice they ain't listing prices yet......

That's because they go on this https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2021/mti-v-marine-technology-inc-v-57-2998765/

If you have to ask......

Brokenbear
02-20-2021, 03:34 PM

Think about this ..150 feet is not too far to run an extension cord to a good automatic 12 volt fast charger
You carry no gas cans UP and Down the hill
You carry no battery up and down the hill
You carry no genset up and down the hill
You do carry one cooler full of Molson Beer down and one full cooler of fish back!

Problem solved

Bear

Ickisrulz
02-20-2021, 03:43 PM
Think about this ..150 feet is not too far to run an extension cord to a good automatic 12 volt fast charger
You carry no gas cans UP and Down the hill
You carry no battery up and down the hill
You carry no genset up and down the hill
You do carry one cooler full of Molson Beer down and one full cooler of fish back!

Problem solved

Bear

I'd rather carry a battery or can of gas than deal with 150 feet of extension cord.

popper
02-20-2021, 03:51 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft Low orbit? Maybe 5400'? I'd go decent elec., deep cycle batts. (optima) fairly light weight. Can always make a run to shore and walk back to cabin with rain gear. Wind on long skinny lakes almost always blows to the end, depends on where the cabin is. Put boat on wheels an pully/winch up the hill. Or just the batteries. Never going to get a boat to plane with 2 gents in it with less than 20HP anyway.

jonp
02-20-2021, 05:10 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft Low orbit? Maybe 5400'? I'd go decent elec., deep cycle batts. (optima) fairly light weight. Can always make a run to shore and walk back to cabin with rain gear. Wind on long skinny lakes almost always blows to the end, depends on where the cabin is. Put boat on wheels an pully/winch up the hill. Or just the batteries. Never going to get a boat to plane with 2 gents in it with less than 20HP anyway.

If your on a small fishing boat I'm not sure you need to do that unless your on the Great Lakes or something. The relaxing ride to the fishing spot or trolling on the way there is part of the reason your out there I think. At least for us it was but we were never in a hurry to get anywhere.

Duckiller
02-20-2021, 05:37 PM
A small single cylinder evinrude that is older than any of us here with a large coffee can lid right behind the prop to slow it down is great for
trolling for brook trout.

tomme boy
02-20-2021, 09:09 PM

You are WRONG! The 4 strokes of the late 90's to early 2000's Suzuki made them for evenrude. Then around 2015 they have 8-15hp 4 strokes made by tahatsu.

blackthorn
02-20-2021, 09:18 PM
Popper---yep 5400'---good catch. Thanks.

farmbif
02-20-2021, 09:29 PM
I only spent 4 years in outward marine mechanics school. like I said earlier its real hard to beat the Yamaha motors. so if your getting a new one and you want ease of use and reliability Yamaha is my first choice then Honda, Suzuki jumped in the game back in the 80's offering real inexpensive motors that were not rebuildable like the OMC crossflows and loopers. but now a days motors are all throw aways none are really worth rebuilding like we used to do for reliability in the OMC's and performance in the Mercurys for the guys who would strap 4 or 6 to the back of a boat and haul bales from the Bahamas. Mercury has lots of programs where they provide engines to pros to get their name out there, it doesn't mean they are any better. they were the first to chrome line cylinders and they could no longer be bored oversize for rebuilding they had to be sleeved. anyway from my perspective if going with a new motor spend the extra Money for a Yamaha or Honda. if going for used motor the OMC/Johnson-evenrude 9.9/15- difference is the carburetor from 80's 90's are hard to beat if you can find a used one still in good shape and someone to replace all the rubber and plastic pieces that may have dry rotted. whatever you end up getting use only ethanol free gas if you possibly can and run carburetor dry before storing it, if you have to mix oil in the gas yamalube is a far superior oil, and replace water pump impeller every year or at least every 2 years.
tohatsu or someone else probably makes the smaller engines for mercury still but we sold the boat yard several years ago and I've been out of the game.

GregLaROCHE
02-20-2021, 11:04 PM
its pretty hard to beat the Yamaha outboards

I most definitely agree.

tomme boy
02-21-2021, 01:04 AM

Lloyd Smale
02-21-2021, 06:00 AM
That's because they go on this https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2021/mti-v-marine-technology-inc-v-57-2998765/

If you have to ask......

yup any boat that sees one with be well north of 5 figures on up to 6. Just think though even 5 years ago your jaw would drop seeing triple 300s on a boat. Now you could have 1800 hp with a fishing deck. Wana bet whos first to the fishing grounds!! Its sure not for us guys but if i win the lotto ill sure invite you guys to wet a line.

Lloyd Smale
02-21-2021, 06:21 AM
did some researching on line and found that both mercurys small outboards and johnson and evenrude who are both now owned by bombardier small outboards are made my tohatsu. So for the most part if you buy a small outboard your getting either one made in japan or china. That said according to merc its more like the tohatsus are a copy of the merc design because they build them to mercurys specs and id be the same goes for bombardier as they are no rookys at 2 strokes either. Merc says those outboards are designed by them and produced to there specs and there research and developement. I aslo saw some side by side comparisons and shootouts that about show that the tohatsu branded motors are a cheaper made motor with some cost cutting diffrernces.

jonp
02-21-2021, 07:53 AM
if you have to mix oil in the gas yamalube is a far superior oil

I have read this in numerous places

You are WRONG! The 4 strokes of the late 90's to early 2000's Suzuki made them for evenrude. Then around 2015 they have 8-15hp 4 strokes made by tahatsu.

I see nothing on their sight indicating the 4 stroke. They do make a big deal about emissions superiority with their large 2 strokes over 4 strokes

Minerat
02-21-2021, 08:21 AM
I have a 6 hp Evenrude 2 stroke kicker on my 16.5 Lund to go with the 90 hp Johnson. I got in in 1971 and it has been on 4 boats now. Add gas pump it up and it fires on a couple of pulls. Let it run dry at the end of the day and it is ready to go next time.

Jsm180
02-21-2021, 10:08 AM
I want to see the 12' boat that needs 20hp to plane with 2 people. :) Growing up the neighbor kids would ski behind a 10hp Johnson, we had a 25hp Evinrude but we had to have dad start it, we weren't big enough pull the rope. We got a 40hp electric start in 64' and were hot stuff then, we could slalom behind it.

I still have the 58' 5 1/2hp Johnson my dad and grandfather bought new, best trolling motor we had, and we tried them all, from the single cyl 1 1/2hp to the 15hp. The only thing that came close was the later model 6hp when they went to 100:1 mix ratio.

Never owned a Mercury or a 4 stroke, only 2 stroke OMC, still have a few.

MOA
02-21-2021, 11:13 AM
Here in Arizona where I live the smaller lakes have a max 9.9 horsepower limit. Plus a couple of the larger lakes that are Fed lakes now mandate only 4 cycle gas engines. The cost of buying a used 2 cycle is dropping quickly. I'm sure the way it will go we're all going to see the State lakes are going to eventually mandate 4 cycle on all lakes. It'll be like musical chairs. If you have a 2 cycle sell it now or find another use for the motor other than pushing your boat across the water. The government camel is always looking for a new tent to stick it's nose under. Good luck.

I'd be looking for a big thrust electric and two good batteries and spend the test of my bankroll on rods, reels and terminal tackle.

megasupermagnum
02-21-2021, 12:30 PM
I really doubt we are going to see 2 stroke bans. The Evinrude E-tec 2 strokes are CLEANER running than the 4 strokes of the same HP. I have a 40HP E-Tec, and the thing is ridiculously good on gas and oil. I fished like mad this year, and put on about 70 hours on it this year. It used maybe half a quart of oil, and maybe 10 gallons of gas (lots of trolling).

None of that matters though, as all of the small outboards I'm aware of are carbureted, 2 or 4 stroke. Simplicity is king in the small engines, and they sip gas anyway.

Blanket
02-21-2021, 01:54 PM
The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft., only about two and a half miles long by seven or eight hundred yards wide. It does however often have some pretty strong winds and if we have to come back to the cabin against the wind, a too small motor is not good. As far as electric, I considered that but the cabin is situated on a flat spot cut (by hand originally) into about a 50% grade and about 50 yards up from the lake shore. I am 82 and my fishing partner is 87 so packing the battery for an electric motor up that bank every day to the gen-set is not appealing. Even worse would be taking the gen set down to the shore. While I am in the process of deciding what to buy, the 5 to 9 HP was/is just a point to consider. I would rather have a bit too much power than too little. I appreciate all the comments and advice, so please don’t stop now. Have a great day. solar or windmill chargers at dockside would solve electric issues

GregLaROCHE
02-21-2021, 02:37 PM
Yamaha does not make their 15hp and smaller motors. Tahatsu does.
When did they start doing that?

quilbilly
02-21-2021, 02:50 PM
Seems like you are looking for a lot of motor if you just want to troll with it. A long time ago, I had a 6hp on a 12ft aluminum boat and it would plane off. Now if you need a motor to get you to your fishing spot, I understand, but if you are in rowing distance, why not think of an electric trolling motor?
I agree! I have a 3 hp Yamaha 2-stroke for 10 foot Jon for small local lakes. It will easily put me and the boat up on a plane at nearly 20 mph. An electric troller that has 35# thrust at its top is better for trolling. Most of the time I have both on - the gas to get me there and the electric to fish with.
On the other hand, if your plan is pulling huge, long, multiple gang trolls for kokanee, a 2hp gas might be the better option.

megasupermagnum
02-21-2021, 03:50 PM
I agree! I have a 3 hp Yamaha 2-stroke for 10 foot Jon for small local lakes. It will easily put me and the boat up on a plane at nearly 20 mph. An electric troller that has 35# thrust at its top is better for trolling. Most of the time I have both on - the gas to get me there and the electric to fish with.
On the other hand, if your plan is pulling huge, long, multiple gang trolls for kokanee, a 2hp gas might be the better option.

No way. You definitely don't have much experience with your rig.

My 6hp does 6-7 MPH and did not plane with a 12', and will not plane with my super light 14' either, and that is with only me in it. A 10hp can plane with only me in it, gas tank moved forward, and only a tackle box and a few rods in the front. It tops out at 15 MPH, and that is on a glass smooth day. Any wind at all, or a second person in the boat, and it probably will not plane. 15 HP is the bare minimum if you want to plane under most conditions, without having to fiddle with it. When I was younger and lighter, my brother and I could get a 12' with a 9.5 HP evinrude to plane if we both lunged forward at the same time, get up and a plane, and then it would keep going. Not a chance at all an adult can get a 3hp anything to plane, and there is even less chance it is propped to go any faster anyway.

With an 80 pound little kid, I could MAYBE believe your little 3HP weed wacker could plane a boat. No way it does 20 MPH, and I doubt it does over 10 MPH. My 16' with 40 HP engine, on a calm day, running flat out 5500 RPM does 29 MPH.

I run electric motors for duck hunting sloughs that are too shallow for an outboard, and a mud motor would not work well on my boat. I currently run a 55 lb thrust motor on that. It does well, and scoots along well enough for the purpose. I would not bring it out on big water. A 15+ MPH headwind, and you would be in deep doo-doo with the electric motor. I'm considering going to a 24V system, so I can run a 80 pound thrust motor. There is nothing scarier than watching a bad storm approaching, and having no power at your disposal.

Now there is nothing wrong with having an electric for super slow trolling. A 6hp evinrude will troll as long as you want 1.5-2 MPH forward, and slower backtrolling.

MaryB
02-21-2021, 04:00 PM
Boy you guys are over thinking this. The OP wants a good reliable little motor to troll around a small lake. The market is flooded with fantastic 5-10 hp 2 stroke outboards that are tough as nails. In this HP range, they are all quiet, and fuel efficient. I've oared all over as a kid, and still run an electric motor for duck hunting sloughs. I would not recommend either to a 80+ year old for fishing.

I've ran outboards of a large range in HP on small boats. Around 10hp can sometimes plane a 12' boat, but that depends on the load and weather. With 2 guys, and gear, it can be tough. A 15 HP will almost always plane 12' and 14' boats, but not all 12' boats are rated for 15 hp motors. Instead, one of my all time favorites is an Evinrude 6 HP. You won't plane, but you will get around at a decent speed, 6-7 MPH. I've had two 6 HP Evinrude's, one a 70's model, and one an 80's. Both were great, but I would recommend an electric ignition one. I believe Evinrude/Johnson went to that in 1972ish. There is nothing wrong with Mercury, but they never made that many small outboards compared to Evinrude/Johnson. Mercury was never known as fuel efficient. Those smaller Evinrude's will troll all day long, they run smooth as a babys bottom. One more thing, the smaller 5-6 HP 2 strokes are very easy to pull start compared to any 4 stroke, or even the 10-15 HP 2 strokes.

Don't over complicate this. Buy a 2 stroke. They are lighter, simpler, and easier to start. Mix gas 50:1, change the water impeller every couple years, and go fishing. Leave the complexities to the large outboards.

I had a 1974 Alumacraft T-14 over grown canoe(13 1/2' long, 42" wide!). Empty the boat weighed 120 pounds and I could load it in the back of my pickup solo. I would get the back of the boat on the tailgate then load in the motor, gas tank, and trolling motor/graph battery before picking the bow up and sliding it in. With a 1974 10HP Johnson it had no problem getting up on plane with just the back 6 inches of the hull in the water, measured speed was 27mph top end. Used to fly downriver at about 35 with the current pushing. Made for interesting night trips dodging dead heads, rocks, mud and sand bars.... river changed every year so first few spring trips we had to slow down! That boat is still going strong with a friend, motor ate the lower unit a few years ago.

MaryB
02-21-2021, 04:09 PM
If your on a small fishing boat I'm not sure you need to do that unless your on the Great Lakes or something. The relaxing ride to the fishing spot or trolling on the way there is part of the reason your out there I think. At least for us it was but we were never in a hurry to get anywhere.

Lake I used to fish was big enough to need speed to get to the good fishing spots, trolling 2 miles of rarely catch anything sucks! So it was a 27mph run to the spot, then drop the electric motor

tomme boy
02-21-2021, 08:21 PM
I may be wrong on the Yamaha 4 strokes as they are made now. A few years ago they were. Tahatsu has fuel injection down to the 9.9 model. I had a 15hp Suzuki that was fuel injected a couple years ago. That thing was crazy efficient on gas.

The main problem with ALL 4 strokes is they make oil. If you do a lot of trolling at low rpm they never get hot enough and gas gets in the oil. Then you end up with bearings going bad.

megasupermagnum
02-21-2021, 10:20 PM
I've not heard that. All outboards have a thermostat, so the water cooling them should be more or less the same temperature. I will say that the oil is one thing to watch on the 4 strokes, especially the small outboards, as the OP is looking for under 10 HP. Lay them down wrong, and they can leak. They don't hold much to begin with, so make sure you check the oil regularly. And of course change it religiously.

tomme boy
02-21-2021, 11:21 PM
Look up " outboard making oil " it is a very common problem with 4 strokes. Especially if you break them in how they want you to. The rings never seat. That is why this happens. You have to break them in like you stole it and Don't care. Wide open from the first start.

My powered was replaced 2x because I listened to them. The last one it was broken in by wide open from the start. Did not make oil that time. The first 2 years the dealer had it 1.5 years in total. After that it has not been back since.

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2021, 05:41 AM
When did they start doing that?

when i looked up all of them it said nothing about yamaha being made by anyone but yamaha. It was the only major manufacture that did say tahatsu made there small units.

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2021, 05:48 AM
Used to be a rule of thumb for tiller outboard aluminum boats is if you wanted them to get up on plane with an adult you took the boats lenght and subtracted 2. So that would make a 10hp for a 12 and a 12 hp for 14 ect. Most recomended the same hp as footage. Back then you actually got better fuel economy with a 15hp on a 14 foot boat then a smaller motor becuase it wasnt wide open all the time. Now todays motors might be better but i have to agree that a 6hp isnt getting a 200lb man up on plane in a 12 foot boat.

Lloyd Smale
02-22-2021, 10:18 AM
ok i just got off the phone with someone i respect. Hes a retired coast guard senior chief machinery tech that lives in TN that spent over 10 years working on the boats and as a team leader for coast guards special forces msst and msrt units (which by the way used mercs at least until he retired 12 years ago. He said this. If you remember the mariner mercs those were the first tohatsu. Those were mariner banded tahatsu motors. He said the motors tahatsu makes for merc are not the same they sell for less with there brand on them. He said mercs are made to merc specs so if you look at the old stripper mariners compared to the mercs of the day its the same now between the tahatsu motors and mercs. They are much more stripped down entry level motor with lower technology. He said the same comparison could be made between the old force motors and the other omc's of the day. I asked him what hed buy. He said merc for only one reason over a yamaha. He said the yamahas are just as good but parts and service will cost you a good 25 percent more then work on the merc and he also said yamahas service manuals are pour. I cant say the exact words he used but he said they were obviously wrote to scare you into putting it down and going to the dealer. He said the new motors are all much better then they were even 10 year ago and you wont go wrong with a merc yamaha evenrude or a johnson. He said the best bet is to look at the quality of your dealer and service dept and dont worry that much about what brand is on it.

megasupermagnum
02-22-2021, 11:35 AM
Look up " outboard making oil " it is a very common problem with 4 strokes. Especially if you break them in how they want you to. The rings never seat. That is why this happens. You have to break them in like you stole it and Don't care. Wide open from the first start.

My powered was replaced 2x because I listened to them. The last one it was broken in by wide open from the start. Did not make oil that time. The first 2 years the dealer had it 1.5 years in total. After that it has not been back since.

Ok, I was able to fine a few good sources from mechanics who describe the problem. I would not describe it is very common. The one mechanic said he saw it once or twice a year. Assuming that is his full time job, that isn't too often. Anyway, it comes down to one, as you say, rings never seated, and two water never evaporating from the oil.

I think it safe to say that it is important that if you buy a new engine, it needs to be broken in, and two, you need to run them full throttle at least once a trip to get the oil hot enough. That should be good advice for two or four stroke engines.

farmbif
02-22-2021, 11:59 AM
your coast guard friend give good advice. I've been out of the game quite a while. and can't imagine running a 40hp 70 hours on 10 gallons of gas. I used to run a bored out 40 hp Johnson every weekend fishing for many years it was my weekend day off ritual. just circling pine island out to flats off burnt store marina a run out to north Captiva to fish the pilings of the stilt houses and maybe trolling the pass depending on season and tide, maybe 50 to 60 miles total to fill the cooler with fish, would burn a full 10 gallons plus maybe into the spare 6 gallon tank each trip.
as far as breaking motors in I know more about 2 stroke than anything else. I bored the blocks myself and for the most part used wiseco forged pistons.
when first starting up new or newly rebuilt motor I ran them at fast idle with double oil for at least an hour. I made myself a great reputation by doing quality work and most of my rebuilds would get twice as many hours than a new motor from factory. that's how I built a successful business

megasupermagnum
02-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Those E-Tec's Are crazy. I had a nearly identical boat, but with a 1984 Johnson 40HP, and like you said, you had to keep extra gas with you. I doubt that boat ever got more than 2-3 MPG, and it was none to good trolling. No hour meter on that engine, but you could just about see it sucking down the gas. Now, I guarantee that my newer 2009 40 HP E-Tec would burn more gas if I were making long runs on Leech lake, but with our local little puddles, I spend 98% of my time at idle, trolling around. I could be wrong on the gas, but I don't think I am that far off. I filled my 10 gallon tank full in the spring, and only filled it again in late July when it was down to about 1/3rd tank. I ran it through September before storing it, and it is around a 1/2 tank now. So 10-15 gallons, I did not measure it. Either way, it is insane how little gas it uses. I also have my oiling set to the XP100 setting, and I am not kidding, it used about 1/2 a quart the entire season. Compare that to my 1984 Johnson, which could easily burn 30-40 gallons of gas in a season, mixed 50:1, is almost 3 quarts of oil.

swheeler
02-22-2021, 12:14 PM
I run a 2006 8 hp 4 stroke Yamaha remote for kicker and 200 HP Etec Evinrude 07 two stroke main. The Yamaha will push 20 foot Alumacraft at 4.8 MPH at full throttle and idle along all day -1 to 1.5 mph for trolling. I have no idea how much gas the kicker burns but it would take a very long time to empty the 26 gallon tank, actually they both SIP fuel compared to my older chevy powered boat. The Yamaha kicker is SO quiet you would not know it was running except for vibrations. Everyone I know that runs a Yamaha kicker motor has nothing but praise. I have no complaints on the BRP Evinrude ( hey my first snow mobile was a 1969 SkiDoo 669 TNT)the computer has been reprogrammed for XD100 oil, so no cheap 2 stroke WalMart oil, I get Evinrude oil locally for $50 a gallon and use 3 gallons per season.

tomme boy
02-22-2021, 07:57 PM
The Mariner motors were Yamaha. Not tahatsu. There only a couple of motors they did this for. They were usually the commercial motors. They were the bare bones motors meant for hard use and no frills.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2021, 06:18 AM
The Mariner motors were Yamaha. Not tahatsu. There only a couple of motors they did this for. They were usually the commercial motors. They were the bare bones motors meant for hard use and no frills.

yes they were. stipped down bare bones yamahas.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2021, 06:20 AM
I run a 2006 8 hp 4 stroke Yamaha remote for kicker and 200 HP Etec Evinrude 07 two stroke main. The Yamaha will push 20 foot Alumacraft at 4.8 MPH at full throttle and idle along all day -1 to 1.5 mph for trolling. I have no idea how much gas the kicker burns but it would take a very long time to empty the 26 gallon tank, actually they both SIP fuel compared to my older chevy powered boat. The Yamaha kicker is SO quiet you would not know it was running except for vibrations. Everyone I know that runs a Yamaha kicker motor has nothing but praise. I have no complaints on the BRP Evinrude ( hey my first snow mobile was a 1969 SkiDoo 669 TNT)the computer has been reprogrammed for XD100 oil, so no cheap 2 stroke WalMart oil, I get Evinrude oil locally for $50 a gallon and use 3 gallons per season.

my first snowmobile was a brand new 69 292 tnt. I remember when dad and i picked it up. They had one just like yours on in the showroom. Only reason it didnt go home with dad was it had a 18 inch track instead of the 15 most performance sled had then (and now).

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2021, 06:30 AM

my first snowmobile was a brand new 69 292 tnt. I remember when dad and i picked it up. They had one just like yours on in the showroom. Only reason it didnt go home with dad was it had a 18 inch track instead of the 15 most performance sled had then (and now). Dad already had a 399 tnt until the artic cat exts hit the market and he went cat and drove them till he quit riding in the early 2000s. that old 292 saw alot of abuse and id bet about every part on it was replaced at one time or another. When i went in the service it had 5500 miles on it and that was about unheard of back then. Motor was rerung 3 times. I still laugh at its last ride. I was home on leave for christmas and it hadnt been run for a year so i fired it up and took off down the trail. Got about a mile from home and the track split right in half and spit out the back. Walked home and dad and i took his and ma's sled out to it and put a sign on it that said FREE. It was gone the next day. but as to bombardiers products today ill say this. there snowmobile motors are what everyone compares the others too. State of the art. Then look at power gliders and home made ultra lite airplanes. About all of then use bombardier motors. Theres probably no company that makes more 2 stroke motors then they do. Or for that matter small 4 strokes.

swheeler
02-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Lloyd I blew a few belts and spit the drive clips out of the track too. It was not brand new the dealership's mechanic raced it, had Y manifold with twin Tilitson HD carbs w\ velocity stacks, and exspansion chambers, I sold it in 71 or 72. When it comes to 2 cycle BRP has decades of experience, they know what they are doing.

AZ Pete
02-23-2021, 10:52 AM
don't overlook Suzuki for a very reliable outboard.

poorman
02-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Evinrude no longer manufactures outboard motors, Mercury has discontinued the Optimax and Yamaha stopped making hpdi's around 2009.
So no more 2 strokes in the us, I hear mercury has enough epa credits that they may bring in a few 2 strokes to burn them up

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2021, 05:40 PM
Lloyd I blew a few belts and spit the drive clips out of the track too. It was not brand new the dealership's mechanic raced it, had Y manifold with twin Tilitson HD carbs w\ velocity stacks, and exspansion chambers, I sold it in 71 or 72. When it comes to 2 cycle BRP has decades of experience, they know what they are doing.

Man i remember tiliston HRs and HD's. Could rebuild one in about 15 minutes and you needed to at least once a year because that diaphragm that acted as your fuel pump would go bad. . I remember when if you didnt have a velocity tube (we called them ram tubes) on your sled you werent cool. First expansion chamber i build myself in metal shop in high school. Dont think i had it quite right because i lost two mph but left it on anyway because i SOUNDED COOL. Dad threatened to put it where the sun dont shine a few times. He worked shift work and i tended to keep him awake with loud snowmobiles, motorcross bikes and cars. Those old two strokes are like comparing a model a to a new ferrari when compared to the direct injected motors today. Days are gone when you took a die grinder to your jug and ported it yourself. Even back then polaris started using makuni carbs and they made tilistons obsolete over night.

tomme boy
02-23-2021, 06:32 PM
Evinrude no longer manufactures outboard motors, Mercury has discontinued the Optimax and Yamaha stopped making hpdi's around 2009.
So no more 2 strokes in the us, I hear mercury has enough epa credits that they may bring in a few 2 strokes to burn them up

Wrong. Johnson line was discontinued not evenrude. The 2 strokes are the etec models and are still being made. Mercury has no carbon credits. They were buying them from Honda for a few years but if anyone has any it is Honda or Suzuki. They were 4 strokes long before everyone else.

2 strokes are still being made for much of the world besides north America. If you know anyone in Mexico you can get whatever you want. You just have to get it over the boarder.

poorman
02-23-2021, 08:08 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evinrude_Outboard_Motors
On May 27, 2020, BRP announced that they would be retiring the Evinrude brand and would exit the outboard boat motor market.[4]
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/05/29/evinrude-outboard-engines-shutting-down-eliminates-387-jobs-wisconsin/5282350002/
BRP, the Canadian manufacturer of Evinrude outboard engines, says it’s eliminating 387 jobs at its factory in Sturtevant as the company steps away from the Evinrude brand
https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/sports/outdoors/fishing/2020/06/02/end-of-boating-era-evinrude-outboard-motors-will-no-longer-be-manufactured/112582702/
The end of a boating era? Evinrude outboard motors will no longer be manufactured

Jsm180
02-23-2021, 08:12 PM
Or just go straight to the horses mouth. https://www.evinrude.com/

"OUR EVINRUDE CUSTOMERS
We are proud to have supplied you with outboard engines over the past 110 years. For business reasons, we have made the difficult and thoughtful decision to discontinue manufacturing of our outboard engines to focus on the next generation of propulsion.

We know you probably have questions about how this decision will impact where to go for services, parts availability and whether your current warranty coverage or service contract are affected. Rest assured, our teams and dealer network will continue to be there to support you."

poorman
02-23-2021, 08:24 PM
Our sales rep told us they were thinking of selling some 2 strokes in the states because their engines were efficient enough that they had "Credits"
I've been a marine tech since 1977 and I am factory trained for OMC Outboards and I/Os ,Mercury and Mercruiser, Volvo, BRP, Yamaha Suzuki, US Marine (Force) and Tohatsu.

farmbif
02-23-2021, 08:39 PM
ok
"the next generation of propulsion" why don't they tell us what they think that is?
don't get me wrong BRP does not make bad decisions. what they do make they make real well from subways and other rail transport to jet airplanes and other aircraft and one of the best 2 strokes ever mass produced.
but what is new propulsion for small boats?

poorman
02-23-2021, 08:54 PM
The way things are going?
Hemp sails and oars made renewable or recycled resources.

farmbif
02-23-2021, 09:03 PM
that's what I was going to say. the days of sails are returning
but BRP does not screw around if they have something new I seriously doubt they will release it till it is tested and perfected, if you look into what kind of business they are they don't just build engines, they are a global transportation power house.

1hole
02-23-2021, 09:19 PM
I'd rather carry a battery or can of gas than deal with 150 feet of extension cord.

Years ago I got us a well used but sound camper trailer that my wife could be comfortable to watch TV, do her knitting and be warm doing it.

I got a small Honda 1KW AC generator with a 12 V DC output for my deep woods "semi-rough it" camp. I made up a 200 ft boat battery charger cord of rubber coated 12/2 wire that reaches to the lakeside and needed a simple load mule.

Got the cheapest hand truck from Harbor Freight and bolted a couple of metal cross pieces on the back to wrap the cord around. Added a plastic milk crate (or something similar) on the front foot to haul tackle and/or bait and/or lunch box. Use bungee cord to lash fishing rods and a paddle or duck gun to one side, or both. It was easy to do and works good for me.

legend 550
02-23-2021, 09:23 PM

Not true I have a 9.9 4stroke kicker on my boat

legend 550
02-23-2021, 09:36 PM
I will soon be in the market for a small (5 to9 HP) outboard to use as a trolling motor on my 12 foot aluminum boat. I am looking for a 4 cycle model. Any suggestions will be thankfully received. Thanks.

Recently upgraded my 9.9 Evinrude 4 stroke for a Mercury 9.9 pro kicker 4 stroke, power trim and tilt, electric start. Pricey but highly recommended.

tomme boy
02-23-2021, 10:22 PM
That is sad. I have not seen that. I know brp bought omc just for the original ficht DI. They shut down the production to fix all the junk they were putting out.

Lloyd Smale
02-24-2021, 07:00 AM
that's what I was going to say. the days of sails are returning
but BRP does not screw around if they have something new I seriously doubt they will release it till it is tested and perfected, if you look into what kind of business they are they don't just build engines, they are a global transportation power house.

they sure are the inovators of today. If new two stroke tech comes out it will be from them. there allways a year or two ahead in the snowmobile market with technology. I once heard they were researching lightweight clean burning high hp 2 stokes for automobiles.

GhostHawk
02-24-2021, 08:14 AM
Did the OP ever consider electric motor with Solar charging? Nothing to haul. Well setup in spring and take down in fall.

blackthorn
02-24-2021, 01:34 PM
GhostHawk---That might be an option except the cabin/property sits idle with no one there (or even close by) for extended periods of time. This dictates that belongings must be put away so good suggestion but wont work for me. Lots of information for me to consider although I am at a loss to see how to overcome the logistics of trolling with a snow mobile. LOL

skeettx
02-24-2021, 01:54 PM
Duckkiller,
You have a picture of the coffee can lid modification?
Thanks
Mike

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2021, 06:23 AM
GhostHawk---That might be an option except the cabin/property sits idle with no one there (or even close by) for extended periods of time. This dictates that belongings must be put away so good suggestion but wont work for me. Lots of information for me to consider although I am at a loss to see how to overcome the logistics of trolling with a snow mobile. LOL

not trolling by a long shot but ive crossed distance of at least an 1/8 of a mile on water with a snowmobile. Ive even seen figure 8 races on water with them. so i guess if your fishing FAST fish it could be done:redneck:

blackthorn
02-26-2021, 01:11 PM
not trolling by a long shot but ive crossed distance of at least an 1/8 of a mile on water with a snowmobile. Ive even seen figure 8 races on water with them. so i guess if your fishing FAST fish it could be done:redneck:

Think I'll leave that for you young bucks! LOL

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2021, 05:36 AM
Think I'll leave that for you young bucks! LOL

that was in my younger days. My mind still screams speed but my body fights it all the way.

Graybeard96
03-04-2021, 12:26 AM

12 ft Alu Boat, 2 Persons onboard, going home possible against strong Winds. Minimum 6 Hp Motor which is already on the heavy side for an older Guy to carry uphill.

I am and have been an Outfitter for 45+ years in BC. Own lots of 6, 10, 15, 40 Hp outboard Motors plus Riverboats.

Privately, I own a 2 HP Yamaha for my Dinghy to reach my Sailboat moored off Oak Bay. Cant believe how light and reliable this thing is but it definitely wont have enough Power to push a 12 Ft Alu Boat with 2 People against a good headwind. You would be betting with your Life, don't do it.

Cheers

Lloyd Smale
03-04-2021, 05:41 AM
12 ft Alu Boat, 2 Persons onboard, going home possible against strong Winds. Minimum 6 Hp Motor which is already on the heavy side for an older Guy to carry uphill.

I am and have been an Outfitter for 45+ years in BC. Own lots of 6, 10, 15, 40 Hp outboard Motors plus Riverboats.

Privately, I own a 2 HP Yamaha for my Dinghy to reach my Sailboat moored off Oak Bay. Cant believe how light and reliable this thing is but it definitely wont have enough Power to push a 12 Ft Alu Boat with 2 People against a good headwind. You would be betting with your Life, don't do it.

Cheers

Ive purchased a number of boats and motors in my life. Was in the coast guard for 4 years as a machinery technician and worked on boat motors. My golden rule of thumb is to look at the max hp for any boat under 20 feet and buy that size motor. Ive NEVER seen where having more power was a bad thing and even fuel economy in some cases is better with a bigger motor loafing along at 20 mph then a small one wrung out to get that 20mph. I dont know how many people i know that have bought a boat and found out later they wanted more power. Never heard of a single soul who bought bigger and traded it in for less.

MaryB
03-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Ive purchased a number of boats and motors in my life. Was in the coast guard for 4 years as a machinery technician and worked on boat motors. My golden rule of thumb is to look at the max hp for any boat under 20 feet and buy that size motor. Ive NEVER seen where having more power was a bad thing and even fuel economy in some cases is better with a bigger motor loafing along at 20 mph then a small one wrung out to get that 20mph. I dont know how many people i know that have bought a boat and found out later they wanted more power. Never heard of a single soul who bought bigger and traded it in for less.

My Alumacraft T14 was 20hp rated so we tested it with one... SCARY doesn't begin to describe it! Dad was alongside in his boat with a 35hp and I was pulling ahead easily and he was doing 35mph. He said once I was on plane just the motor and the back 6 inches of the hull were in the water. Steering was VERY abrupt and a twitch could have sent me tumbling. The 10hp would plane it out with 2 people, with just me it would plane with the back 2' of the hull in the water. And yes I had it trimmed to run flat! No way would I run a 20 on that boat unless I was always carrying a passenger or a lot of cargo like our trips upriver to camp. Solo with just fishing gear the 10hp got it to 25mph in a hurry.

megasupermagnum
03-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Mary, I had a nearly identical boat. It was a 14' Alumacraft, I think a 1960. Bare bones, 3 bench seats, rated for some oddball number, I think 16 HP. I ended up putting a 1972 Evinrude 18 HP on it. I would not say it was scary at all. Easy to control, not too much power at all, and not lacking. I don't think I ever clocked it, but It must have done 20-25 MPH. If yours was doing 35+ MPH, it must have been revving to the moon. I fished in that boat for 2-3 years, and only moved on because it always had a slow leak that I couldn't find. My dad has had a 14' Lund forever with an Evinrude 25HP. That combo was the Minnesota Gold standard for decades until people started getting huge boats. My guess is if a 10HP got you on a plane quick with two people, the both of you are rather light. Two of me at 300 pounds are not going anywhere quick in such a boat.

quilbilly
03-05-2021, 12:25 AM
No way. You definitely don't have much experience with your rig.

My 6hp does 6-7 MPH and did not plane with a 12', and will not plane with my super light 14' either, and that is with only me in it. A 10hp can plane with only me in it, gas tank moved forward, and only a tackle box and a few rods in the front. It tops out at 15 MPH, and that is on a glass smooth day. Any wind at all, or a second person in the boat, and it probably will not plane. 15 HP is the bare minimum if you want to plane under most conditions, without having to fiddle with it. When I was younger and lighter, my brother and I could get a 12' with a 9.5 HP evinrude to plane if we both lunged forward at the same time, get up and a plane, and then it would keep going. Not a chance at all an adult can get a 3hp anything to plane, and there is even less chance it is propped to go any faster anyway.

With an 80 pound little kid, I could MAYBE believe your little 3HP weed wacker could plane a boat. No way it does 20 MPH, and I doubt it does over 10 MPH. My 16' with 40 HP engine, on a calm day, running flat out 5500 RPM does 29 MPH.

I run electric motors for duck hunting sloughs that are too shallow for an outboard, and a mud motor would not work well on my boat. I currently run a 55 lb thrust motor on that. It does well, and scoots along well enough for the purpose. I would not bring it out on big water. A 15+ MPH headwind, and you would be in deep doo-doo with the electric motor. I'm considering going to a 24V system, so I can run a 80 pound thrust motor. There is nothing scarier than watching a bad storm approaching, and having no power at your disposal.

Now there is nothing wrong with having an electric for super slow trolling. A 6hp evinrude will troll as long as you want 1.5-2 MPH forward, and slower backtrolling.

Really! You will have to tell that to the people on the lake a mile down the road from me when they tell me to slow down in my 10 footer with that little 3-hp 2 stroke Yamaha gets me up on a plane. The speed limit there on the lake is 10 mph. The little internal gas tank only lasts about 3 miles when I get up on a plane though. When I first got it years ago, it scared me the first time it got up because I had no idea. A Coast Guard patrol boat (an RHIB) on Puget Sound came up to me once to ask about that angry hornet on my stern (they confirmed my safety gear). Any breeze will drop me off the plane though not to mention big boat wakes like tug boats.

Duckiller
03-05-2021, 02:18 AM
Skeettx no photos. Was on a trip to northern Ontario in the early 60s. I was the youngest by about 40 years. I got to carry an aluminum boat on my back. I was maybe 20 years old then, am 78 now. Motors were single cylinder Evenrudes. Bolt that held the prop on may have been replaced with a longer bolt. Punched a hole in the center (exact center) of a large coffee can lid. Lid was placed over extended bolt and held on with a wing nut. The boat I carried was for my oldest uncle(65+) and a friend of similar age. Younger people (WW2 vets) and me were in Gruman canoes. The can lids really slowed down the canoes. The boat was rowed. We were fishing for Brook Trout just before they spawned. The best canoe caught two fish one afternoon. The boat caught 5-7 that same afternoon right in front of camp. While you are probably not interested in my fishing story I do hope I have described how we slowed down the motors for a very slow troll. If you have question write. Am going to So Cal on Saturday and will be back on March 21. If no questions enjoy your slow trolling.

skeettx
03-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Duckiller
Thank you
Mike

MaryB
03-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Mary, I had a nearly identical boat. It was a 14' Alumacraft, I think a 1960. Bare bones, 3 bench seats, rated for some oddball number, I think 16 HP. I ended up putting a 1972 Evinrude 18 HP on it. I would not say it was scary at all. Easy to control, not too much power at all, and not lacking. I don't think I ever clocked it, but It must have done 20-25 MPH. If yours was doing 35+ MPH, it must have been revving to the moon. I fished in that boat for 2-3 years, and only moved on because it always had a slow leak that I couldn't find. My dad has had a 14' Lund forever with an Evinrude 25HP. That combo was the Minnesota Gold standard for decades until people started getting huge boats. My guess is if a 10HP got you on a plane quick with two people, the both of you are rather light. Two of me at 300 pounds are not going anywhere quick in such a boat.

I am betting yours weighed a LOT more. Empty mine weighed a whopping 120 pounds

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2021, 04:37 PM
My Alumacraft T14 was 20hp rated so we tested it with one... SCARY doesn't begin to describe it! Dad was alongside in his boat with a 35hp and I was pulling ahead easily and he was doing 35mph. He said once I was on plane just the motor and the back 6 inches of the hull were in the water. Steering was VERY abrupt and a twitch could have sent me tumbling. The 10hp would plane it out with 2 people, with just me it would plane with the back 2' of the hull in the water. And yes I had it trimmed to run flat! No way would I run a 20 on that boat unless I was always carrying a passenger or a lot of cargo like our trips upriver to camp. Solo with just fishing gear the 10hp got it to 25mph in a hurry.

usually if a boat is running on just the back side of the boat in the water your motor is trimmed up to much. With that little amount of the boat touching it no doubt would be squirrely. Its probably why you got such good speed out of it too.

megasupermagnum
03-05-2021, 10:07 PM
I am betting yours weighed a LOT more. Empty mine weighed a whopping 120 pounds

I have no idea what it weighed, but it was not a lot. Two guys could carry it fairly easily.

MaryB
03-06-2021, 01:36 PM
usually if a boat is running on just the back side of the boat in the water your motor is trimmed up to much. With that little amount of the boat touching it no doubt would be squirrely. Its probably why you got such good speed out of it too.

Motor was trimmed in as far as it would go. Up tight to the transom. I even added some negative trim with shims. It ran flat, not nose up so trim wasn't off. Just to much motor for that over grown canoe Alumacraft called a boat. 13 1/2' long, 42" wide, 120 pounds empty... I used to put it on my shoulders and walk it down to small ponds to fish them. Make a second tip for a battery and trolling motor and canoe paddle in case of dead battery

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2021, 06:50 AM
Motor was trimmed in as far as it would go. Up tight to the transom. I even added some negative trim with shims. It ran flat, not nose up so trim wasn't off. Just to much motor for that over grown canoe Alumacraft called a boat. 13 1/2' long, 42" wide, 120 pounds empty... I used to put it on my shoulders and walk it down to small ponds to fish them. Make a second tip for a battery and trolling motor and canoe paddle in case of dead battery

thats strange. Alumicraft is a good boat builder. boats have to be tested to put hp ratings on them. Maybe its possible they stamped the wrong hp rating on your plate. But 25 hp does seem to be about right for a 14 foot boat. Could be too they put the wrong prop on it. That can give you quite a bit more top speed at the sacrafice of the ability to actually get up on plane fast. but if its a stock bought off the shelf motor i doubt thats the case. I know one thing. Dad had a 16 foot starcraft that was rated at 40 hp that we had a 60 on and it would only run 35. Most boats can handle more hp then they are rated. Part of the rating is the manufacture knows that if its overpowered eventually your going to have problems with your transom weakening. Especially on an aluminum boat. Between the beating they take trailering with a heavier motor and the stress put on them from acceleration and the pounding in the waves. They also factor it a heavier back end (bigger motor) takes more speed to get on plane then a light one. Which is one of the disadvantages of a 4 stroke. Especially a tiller motor where a 200 lb guy and the weight of the motor all come into play. You see guys claiming there two stroke gets as good economy as a 4 stroke and thats one reason why. When there trolling the 4 stroke will always win but if your running around at just over plane speed the 4 stroke has to push the boat a bit faster. Which comes into play even more when your underpowered to begin with. I dont doubt your problem. One thing for sure is there are not cut and dried answers. boats just vary to much.

MaryB
03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
thats strange. Alumicraft is a good boat builder. boats have to be tested to put hp ratings on them. Maybe its possible they stamped the wrong hp rating on your plate. But 25 hp does seem to be about right for a 14 foot boat. Could be too they put the wrong prop on it. That can give you quite a bit more top speed at the sacrafice of the ability to actually get up on plane fast. but if its a stock bought off the shelf motor i doubt thats the case. I know one thing. Dad had a 16 foot starcraft that was rated at 40 hp that we had a 60 on and it would only run 35. Most boats can handle more hp then they are rated. Part of the rating is the manufacture knows that if its overpowered eventually your going to have problems with your transom weakening. Especially on an aluminum boat. Between the beating they take trailering with a heavier motor and the stress put on them from acceleration and the pounding in the waves. They also factor it a heavier back end (bigger motor) takes more speed to get on plane then a light one. Which is one of the disadvantages of a 4 stroke. Especially a tiller motor where a 200 lb guy and the weight of the motor all come into play. You see guys claiming there two stroke gets as good economy as a 4 stroke and thats one reason why. When there trolling the 4 stroke will always win but if your running around at just over plane speed the 4 stroke has to push the boat a bit faster. Which comes into play even more when your underpowered to begin with. I dont doubt your problem. One thing for sure is there are not cut and dried answers. boats just vary to much.

I know Alumacraft changed the HP rating around 1980 or so.. cut it in half! Made the boat a little wider then too but the weight stayed the same. I compared mine to a newer one and they didn't increase the width of the bottom, just a wider gunnel to make a dryer ride in waves. I remember many a tip back to the boat landing pounding into 2-3 foot waves and being drenched by the time I got there.

Fishman
03-08-2021, 01:53 PM
I've run just about every type of outboard driven rig you can imagine in my career and hands down the scariest on any given day was a square stern Alumacraft canoe with a little 4 hp 2-stroke on it. With two people in that rig, it would push 20 mph (guessing, pre-gps) and was twitchy and just all-around scary. Incredible fuel mileage though. I couldn't imagine a rig like that with a 20 hp on it.

Another Alumacraft I owned about 8 years ago was a 1957 16' with a windshield and an enclosed bow. It had been repowered with a 1980's 50 hp Johnson. It had the old-style cable and pulley steering system. Gps'd that boat would run flat out between 35 and 40 mph depending on if there was a light chop. It was super-light as Mary pointed out.

Most of the rigs I currently run have 4-stroke efi now and they are bulletproof, efficient, and perfect for lots of low-rpm work or pushing heavy loads at speed. These are larger rigs though, with 40 hp to 150 hp motors.