PDA

View Full Version : Fosbery Paradox Slug Mould

longbow
12-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Does anyone have a dimensional drawing (or at least dimensional info) and weight for the Fosbery style Paradox slug?

I have a crude and incomplete sort of drawing which I used to model a slug in a 3D program.

Depending on how I alter the model the weight ranges from about 750 to 800 grs. ~ that is maintaining the few dimensions I have.

Thanks,
Longbow

missionary5155
12-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Good morning Longbow and MERRY CHRISTMAS
I copied that paradox slug that was on the Bay from England back about a month. I will look it up . I think it had weight writtrn down... But I will hunt that up.

Dixie Slugs
12-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I have attached an original spec drawing for you to look at. The late Walt M. at NEI cut some cherries for the Pareadox guns years ago....the problem is they are oversize for modern rifled barrels. Our Tusker is a hollowbase design based on the original.
Regards, James

longbow
12-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Merry Christmas to you all as well!

Thanks for posting that James. I have some info from the internet but not all dimensions were shown. The slug "graphic" I have is missing driving band widths, lube groove width and indicates a smaller front driving band than the rear one. Not real important but I was curious.

I have used a 3D program to model it from what I had. I also copied a photo from the Holland & Holland site as well as a photo of the CBE mould and used those for comparison.

All are slightly different as is the drawing you posted but certainly very similar in overall design.

I have also modeled the Tusker from the drawing you posted a while ago. If you are interested I will send you cuts from the model showing various views. Nothing you haven't seen in person but possibly useful for marketing. Also, the newer versions of Acrobat Reader will display 3D model views "live". This allows anyone with Acrobat Reader (free to downlaod and used for all .pdf files) to open the model views and rotate the model to see what view they want. I can save the 3D pdf out of my 3D program. Very slick.

All in all, I prefer the Tusker as I mentioned before. I was quite impressed from the testing I did.

Ultimately, my goal is to make a slow twist choke tube suited to the round ball or square slug. I have always been fascinated by the Paradox guns and like the versatility. I think a modern shotgun with a slow twist choke tube would be the ultimate in versatility. A variety of screw in choke tubes provides the ability to handle shot, buckshot and slugs ~ with an appropriate twist.

Adam604 has reported very good accuracy with round ball and rifled choke tube but also the torquing problems you have mentioned. A slower tiwst and large contact surfaces would solve that.

Thanks again James and let me know if you want me to e-mail some 3D views of the Tusker (or even the Paradox slug) for you to look at.

Longbow

longbow
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Just out of curiosity I decided to model the Kynock versions as well. Some dimensions are unreadable but for the most part the main dimensions are there.

Anyway, Kynoch was right on with weight. Both come out at 750 grs. +/- depending on my interpretation of nose radius which is a little unclear.

If anyone is interested in views of the slugs I can post them in pdf or jpeg.

All in all I still like Dixie's Tusker.

Longbow

Dixie Slugs
12-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Remember one thing though....if you plan to roll crimp, have a small shelf on the slug/bullet about 1/8" down from the nose of the slug/bullet. That's the only modification I wish I had put on the Tusker.
The problem is rolling the crimp down onto the angle on the truncsted nose. While roll crimpimg the roll crimp head gets hot. Sometimes after the hull cools from roll crimping, the slug will be a litte loose and will have to be re-rolled crimp.
The original Paradox, in the paper hull, had a special hollow roll crimp head that allowed the nose of the bullet to come up into the head....and the hollow roll crimp head put the rolled crimp on the front band of the slug/bullet. I have the 20 gauge Paradox mold, but can't load them with the solid crimp heads I have.
Just some thoughts!
Regards, James

vh2q
01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Is the Tusker mold available for sale? Dia? Other than NEI (which company I won't do business with, and CBE), does anyone else make a 12 ga paradox mold?

turbo1889
01-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Is the Tusker mold available for sale? Dia? Other than NEI (which company I won't do business with, and CBE), does anyone else make a 12 ga paradox mold?

There are rumors, somewhat substantiated, that Dixie Slugs may indeed begin offering slugs as hand loading components once again with a special Disclaimer/Order form your required to sign in order for such an order to be processed. To my knowledge this has not yet come to pass as of yet.

To my knowledge the main issue Dixie has with such sales is two fold. First is liability concerns with reloaders that are trying to push the envelope too far and producing potentially dangerous loads. Second is the fact that Dixie casts their slugs of a certified alloy and heat treats them. Both of which add considerable cost to the production and thus the retail price of just the slugs as components tends to leave some people with a little bit of "Sticker Shock".

Both Brooks and Old West will do custom 12ga. slug molds if you so desire.

Here is a link to a thread (with pictures) on my twin 12ga. slug molds I had Brooks do for me for your viewing pleasure:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58459

I have also attached an image of the blue prints for the Dixie Tusker slug which was originally posted by James @ Dixie Slugs.