PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Magazines: GI or KCI?

Memphis
02-18-2021, 05:03 PM
BLUF/tl;dr: shooters with experience using both GI and KCI mags in M1 Carbine, is shiny new KCI or rusty GI better?

I recently took possession of an M1 Carbine. The magazine situation is not great: I got only a few mags to go with it. I scored a handful more old GI mags with big nasty rust spots all over them, but some sand paper and black rustoleum rehabilitated them nicely.

I am planning on a second purchase. I scoured all the forums with relevant threads, read reviews, hit up all the YouTubers with related videos, and drew the following conclusions: 15rd GI mags are consistent and reliable but (maybe?) not very durable; the 15rd KCIs (new production Korean) are reliable; the Old Tiawanese 15rd mags are excellent but unobtainable; the new Tiawanese mags are bad; the original GI 30rd mags are good but unobtainable at any reasonable price; the KCI 30rd mags are not a safe bet (some are reliable and some are not); any ProMag (15rd or 30rd) is an absolute no-go.

While most places are sold out, I have found a few smaller outfits with the KCI 15rd magazines still in stock and one with the same outside-rusted GI mags.

I want this weapon to be a practical PDW for a family member (woman or teenage boy) to use in an emergency, not just a fun shooter, so reliability is big.

zarrinvz24
02-18-2021, 05:22 PM
From what I can remember, KCI are Korean magazines produced on the original Winchester M1 machinery. Quality should be on par with USGI magazines.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-18-2021, 05:32 PM
I see that CDNN and MidwayUSA both had the Korean-made mags for sale at reasonable prices. J&G also had them at less reasonable prices, and original G.I. 15 rounders still in the wrapper at very unreasonable prices. In the past I've purchased the Korean 30 rd. mags from CDNN and they worked fine. Many years ago I had a 30 rd. (not G.I.) made in the U.S. that would always fail to feed more that 5 or 6 rounds. The hang-up seemed to be at the bend in the mag.

DG

panhed65
02-18-2021, 07:10 PM
I have a bunch of original mags, and also a bunch of the Korean mags. the Korean ones have been flawless, and are the ones I use most. many of my original ones are still wrapped, so I just let them sit.
Barry

school of mines
02-18-2021, 07:58 PM
I have had no feeding issues with my KCI mags and use them in Carbine CMP matches exclusively.

avogunner
02-18-2021, 08:01 PM
..... the Korean ones have been flawless, and are the ones I use most...

This has been my experience too. Korean mags are great. For GI mags, I would highly recommend getting new springs.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jedman
02-18-2021, 08:36 PM
Sorry to disagree with most everybody but I bought a pair of newly made Korean 15 round mags last year for my carbine and they are junk.
I noticed right away they fit really loose when I first put one in the gun, sloppy so I laid it next to my original mag and could see the front to back length was short. I fired the mag and had several jams right off.
I measured the Korean mag with dial calipers and it’s about .050 short and a little narrow also. It does lock into the gun but is a loose fit. I don’t remember if the mags had a brand name but just remember they were Korean made.

Jedman

Memphis
02-18-2021, 09:05 PM
Jedman, what kind of Carbine do you have? I thought a consensus was forming till you shared your experience.

Outpost75
02-19-2021, 01:17 AM
+1 on the KCI mags, they are fine.

TankerDon
02-19-2021, 05:01 AM
Another +1 on the KCI mags. I have both 15 & 30's. They both work great for me.

Teddy (punchie)
02-19-2021, 07:43 AM
Fast as I need to get to work, PM me !!

Memphis
02-19-2021, 11:15 AM
I'm going to get KCI since the overwhelming majority have had positive experiences. Thanks everybody.

samari46
02-20-2021, 01:16 AM
Bought my Korean mags when they first came into the country. Never had a problem with any of them. Frank

35 Whelen
02-20-2021, 11:25 PM
I have quite a lot of original mags as well as KCI. KCI's are great magazines and are all I use now.

35W

sirgknight
02-21-2021, 12:43 AM
I see that CDNN and MidwayUSA both had the Korean-made mags for sale at reasonable prices. J&G also had them at less reasonable prices, and original G.I. 15 rounders still in the wrapper at very unreasonable prices. In the past I've purchased the Korean 30 rd. mags from CDNN and they worked fine. Many years ago I had a 30 rd. (not G.I.) made in the U.S. that would always fail to feed more that 5 or 6 rounds. The hang-up seemed to be at the bend in the mag.

DG

I just ordered three of the KCI mags from J & G for $20/each. Darn mags are getting harder to find. Gunbroker and Fleabay list USGI mags at ridiculous prices. I'm on email alert at Brownells for KCI's $10/each.

square butte
02-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Anyone making a decent 10 rounder ?

sirgknight
02-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Anyone making a decent 10 rounder ?

Only place that I'm aware of is Fleabay. When I looked at availability and the number of bidders it appears that a lot of folks are looking for them.

35 Whelen
02-21-2021, 03:14 PM
Gunmagwarehouse.com shows two different brands of 10 round carbine magazines (https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-magazines/rifles/30-carbine), but they're out of stock. Sign up for email alerts.

35W

Speedo66
03-06-2021, 07:47 PM
I bought a couple of these last year and they work fine in my GI Carbine. https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-carbine-10-round-magazine.html

Also had good luck with the KCI 30 rounders I got from AIM Surplus at a good price.

Availability is another story....

panhed65
03-09-2021, 07:37 PM
for you carbine shooters, got notice today SG ammo actually has Korean surplus ammo in stock. not cheap like it was, but at least it was there.
Barry