PDA

View Full Version : Remelt powder coated boolits??

jimlj
02-18-2021, 02:57 PM
Do you put powder coated boolits back in the pot to remelt?

I have quite a few Lee TL356-124 powder coated boolits that give me poor accuracy. Can I put a few at a time in my bottom pour pot without gumming up the pot?

Multra
02-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Toss them in and scrape the crud out; the PC floats on the top.

Winger Ed.
02-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Most folks just dump 'em back in the pot.
It'll smoke and stink, but stir and rake the goo off the top as best ya can to minimize the effect.

fcvan
02-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Absolutely, lead melts out, PC shell floats on the top. It stinks, good ventilation is a must. The only ones I re cast were when I first started using ESPC and made them too thick. The only ones I spray are a Lyman 225-415 and some 30 caliber GC boolits. I started ASBBPC and learned to make a repeatable thickness by measuring the amount of powder in relation to surface area of the boolits, as well as some post tumble handling before baking.

I make my own gas checks and will try seating the GC before ASBBPC to see how that works out, I think it will be fine. One mold for 300 BO /308 W/30-06 will be ESPC as it is my accuracy load. I made a jig to stand the boolits up and prevent PC from coating the check shank, works great. I haven't cast in a while, stocked up on my pre-cast and coated, as well as loaded all of my casings.

I don't re-cast/recycle as I have lead and don't need to. I do have to cast some boolits and PC for a member here, a promise I made before I took ill, non Wuhan related. Planned on casting today but it was raining this morning, no need to push my luck.

Go ahead and melt them if you need to, shoot them if they aren't that bad.

jimlj
02-18-2021, 08:10 PM
"Go ahead and melt them if you need to, shoot them if they aren't that bad."

I will shoot what I have loaded up, and may load the rest of what I have cast and coated for the grand kids to shoot.
I am hoping the 358-125-RF I just cast/coated help with the accuracy issue. With jacketed bullets, solid rest and red dot sight I could shoot 10 shots into a ragged 2" hole at 25 yards. With the 356 tumble lube design boolit I was lucky to hit the target 50% of the time.

charlie b
02-18-2021, 09:16 PM
There have been other folks who have reported trouble with the 9mm tumble lube bullets. Std lube groove seems to be the way to go for 9mm. I'd melt them rather than shoot a 'shotgun pattern' load.

And, yes, I melt PC bullets all the time. They are the ones that do not pass final QC check.