PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action / rimmed cartridge question

beechbum444
02-18-2021, 01:15 AM
Below is a picture of a savage 340 barrel chambered in 30/30.... my assumption is that it was made this way to reduce time and tooling needed for production .... ( since extractor notch doesn’t have to be cut ) I have questions . Does this wear brass quicker, does it cause excess pressure... why have other companies done this on rifles that use rimmed brass.... could this be done on a barrel chambered in 357 mag on a Carcano action to make a single shot rifle ????? Any and all thoughts appreciated... regards

samari46
02-18-2021, 02:28 AM
More than likely done to eliminate the need for an extractor cut. That and the end of the barrel where that section of the barrel sticks out is also done to control headspace. So they kill two birds at one shot. Don't think that this type of barrel breeching setup would cause any undue wear on the brass. I've heard of the setup being used with benchrest barrels especially in barrels that have been chambered for different calibers but with the same case head size. Frank

gzig5
02-18-2021, 06:33 PM
A lot of target rimfire barrels are done like that, you don't have to worry about clocking extractor cuts. Saves time, thus cheaper. Nothing wrong with it as long as there is a little bit of a shoulder and not sharp at the mouth.