PDA

View Full Version : Would it look okay or Bad?

gcollins
12-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Need advice?
Only because of a friend, am I being able to build my Hi Wall rifle! But I am on a budget and this friend knows this. I can buy a Green mountain strait Oct. Barrel for $117.00, or I can buy a #3 taper Green Mountain barrel for $260.00, I ask my friend and he said it would look okay (but I think his answer was based on me being on a budget) So jump in here folks and tell me your toughts!
Later Greg

HeavyMetal
12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Octagon barrels are a matter of personel taste, kinda like drinking Scotch, in the end it's what you think that matters!

Now I like octagon barrels, on the right action, never could see an Octagon barrel on a SAA Colt or Smith N frame but I've seen pictures!

A straight Octagon , matching the reciever size, will look nice. But I have seen and used a Savage 99 with a tapered Octagon barrel and the first time I find one I can afford It's moving in!

So if it was me? I go tapered if I could scrounge up the cash!

badgeredd
12-23-2008, 11:02 PM
IMO, and in total agrrement with HM, it is a matter of your taste. I have a low-wall that I rebuilt years ago and it had a very slight taper to the octagon barrel. I replaced it with a round tapered barrel. I think it looks ok but if I could have been able to afford a new barrel at the time (instead of a take-off), I would have gone with a half-octagon half round barrel. Honestly, I think that if you do a good job, nearly any profile would look good. Go with what you really want and hang any body elses opinion. If you look at a bunch of the old high-walls and low-walls you'll see just about any standard profile barrel attached. It is about what you want IMO.

Edd

Buckshot
12-24-2008, 03:09 AM
..............Depends on the OD and length of a straight octagon bbl, IMHO. It 'could' kind of overpower the action, appearance wise. However the price difference is considerable. If you're having a gunsmith do the work, ask him what the additional charges would be to turn the barrel to half round?

..............Buckshot

Cap'n Morgan
12-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Personally, I prefer a straight barrel profile to a straight tapered. A straight taper somehow looks too "fat" in the middle part.

Now, an octagonal barrel with a contoured profile... that's downright pleasing to the eye. :-D

R. Dupraz
12-24-2008, 09:54 AM
gcollins:

Is that straight octagon GM barrel at $117.00 for a BPCR in 4140 like the tapered or is it a muzzle loader barrel? I believe that there is a difference.

Regards
RD

missionary5155
12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Good morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS
I have a striaght octagon 45-70 cal barrel on my custom Roller. It is 32 inches long (Baushky) 1-18 twist and will out shoot me off cross sticks. Pop the 300 yard gong all day long as long as I do not do something dis-co-ordinated.

gcollins
12-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Rd,
it isn't a muzzeloader barrel,in the start of this section it says green mountain barrel, but it doesn't say this is a G.M. This is what it says.
.38-55 Cal. - 1 1/8" Straight Octagon - 34" Long - 1/14 Twist - Unchambered
Model:
Item No. 953540
Additional Shipping charge: $1.00
Retail Price: $116.30

I am going to ask them if it is a Green Mountain when I go to order it!

5155, i also have a roller I am finishing up in 45-70 with a Les Baushky barrel, it was put on a long time ago, the date is on the barrel, when it warms up so I can get in the shop, I am ready to finish it. If any one want to check this barrel out, go to numrich Arms and use the item #, or go to gunsmithing then to barrels go down about 6-9 lines and you will se a 32-40 Oct. barrel listed and click on it and scrool down. I wished I new more about this stuff, but I don't and I can only afford to buy one barrel, and I wished there was a way to tell if they were any good?
Any and all help I will be great full!
Thanks greg