PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a turret adaptor for Lyman Tru Line Jr

gitzitfish
02-16-2021, 11:24 PM
Been working in my basement shop and I forgot that I had an old Lyman Tru-Line Jr turret press in its original box in a cabinet. Got it out this eve and it works and functions flawless. Have a couple sets of the old style small dies and sizing dies. I know at one time there was turret plates available to convert it over to the 7/8 dies. Are these still available anywhere? Or does anyone have a turret plate they would like to get rid of?

poppy42
02-16-2021, 11:54 PM
You might be able to find one on flea Bay but I bet it won’t be cheap. I would not use the True line Junior for any large rifle cases. As a matter fact I use mine strictly for a pistol calibers. It’s not the strongest press nor does it have a lot of compound linkage.

kywoodwrkr
02-17-2021, 12:25 AM
I know at one time there was turret plates available to convert it over to the 7/8 dies.
Do you have information about how thick it was and what material the turret was made of?

gitzitfish
02-17-2021, 12:27 AM
You might be able to find one on flea Bay but I bet it won’t be cheap. I would not use the True line Junior for any large rifle cases. As a matter fact I use mine strictly for a pistol calibers. It’s not the strongest press nor does it have a lot of compound linkage.

Yes full intent for some pistol only calibers. I have a Rockchucker and two other presses. Just thought it would be great to put this old press back in service

gitzitfish
02-17-2021, 12:33 AM
Do you have information about how thick it was and what material the turret was made of?

I could measure if I go to the basement shop. I’m going to guess 1/2 to 5/8 thick. About 3 1/2 diameter with a 1/2” center hole, four hole turret at 90’s to each other

rbuck351
02-17-2021, 02:55 AM
The one I have is .653 thick and made from aluminum.

kywoodwrkr
02-17-2021, 09:40 AM
The one I have is .653 thick and made from aluminum.

Thank you.
Wondered if 1" aluminum would work or if the replicas were steel.
Thanks again.

Green Frog
02-17-2021, 11:39 AM
I find the biggest stress on a press is when random brass is FL sized, usually along with the decap function. I like to batch load anyway, so when I have sufficient brass of a single caliber, I set up my RCBS Jr with the proper die (carbide if available) and shell holder and process every case in sight. Then I can do whatever steps I want on my TruLine Jr, also in batches... but they are all low stress. BTW, I seldom if ever prime on either of these presses, preferring to hand prime unless I’m using one of the progressives.
As I’ve stated so often before, you have to try different things, then stick with whatever works for you, so of course YMMV! 8-)

Froggie

j4570
02-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Someone used to make a replacement turret. I always wanted one as my father has a Tru-line Jr. sitting around. Would be nice to put to use for something.

The ones I saw were aluminum. If you find the guy making them again, let me know.

Jason

Three44s
02-17-2021, 10:00 PM
There are two versions of the Truline press.

The early one had a more simple linkage and handled the least stress of the two ..... the latter has a more sophisticated linkage and has more power. Neither press is considered a stout press however by today’s standards.

I have a number of assorted dies but no knowledge of what they are. I need to spend some time identifying them and as I have the early and later versions of these presses, I would like to put them to proper use.

Three44s

gitzitfish
02-17-2021, 11:30 PM
There are two versions of the Truline press.

The early one had a more simple linkage and handled the least stress of the two ..... the latter has a more sophisticated linkage and has more power. Neither press is considered a stout press however by today’s standards.

I have a number of assorted dies but no knowledge of what they are. I need to spend some time identifying them and as I have the early and later versions of these presses, I would like to put them to proper use.

Three44s

I’m pretty sure I have the later model with the compound linkage from the little bit of online looking I have done