PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Henry AXE

country gent
02-16-2021, 11:18 PM
Not sure if this belongs in Shotguns or Lever guns but its going here, If the mods feel the need they can move it.

Im looking at the Henry AXE. .410 mares leg. I like to looks of it and want something for a yard gun to use from my trac chair easily.

The firearm is compact 26" long 15+? barrel. Sling studs, invector chokes, both loading gate and tube loading. 2 1/2" chamber, and 5-6 pounds. nice looking walnut stock and fore end. Brass bead front sight but drilled and taped for scope rail or red dot. 5 round tube and 1 in the chamber

This would be for the occasional squirrel, wood chucks, and other varmints. Recoil should be manageable from the chair, it will fit inside the chairs dimensions when mounted ( Im thinking with a holster or short scabbard mounted muzzle down along front of seat). Im thinking that #4 shot for most and one of the personnel defense rounds would be very effective

Ive watched a couple videos where with the 4 ball load it gave 1 1/2 -2" patterns at 7-10 yards with the full choke tube that it comes with.

cwtebay
02-16-2021, 11:30 PM
Not sure if this belongs in Shotguns or Lever guns but its going here, If the mods feel the need they can move it.

Im looking at the Henry AXE. .410 mares leg. I like to looks of it and want something for a yard gun to use from my trac chair easily.

The firearm is compact 26" long 15+? barrel. Sling studs, invector chokes, both loading gate and tube loading. 2 1/2" chamber, and 5-6 pounds. nice looking walnut stock and fore end. Brass bead front sight but drilled and taped for scope rail or red dot. 5 round tube and 1 in the chamber

This would be for the occasional squirrel, wood chucks, and other varmints. Recoil should be manageable from the chair, it will fit inside the chairs dimensions when mounted ( Im thinking with a holster or short scabbard mounted muzzle down along front of seat). Im thinking that #4 shot for most and one of the personnel defense rounds would be very effective

Ive watched a couple videos where with the 4 ball load it gave 1 1/2 -2" patterns at 7-10 yards with the full choke tube that it comes with.Can't comment on the mares leg, but I can tell you that the full version is awesome. There's a weapons restricted area by me that requires straight wall pistol / muzzle loader / bow / shotgun. We've been hunting elk buffalo hunt style for a few years from horseback - the 410 with slugs has been awesome! The follow up shots are great, the ability to have your reins in your teeth while shooting has been fantastic, and the number of shots you can get off has been wonderful.
(Needless to say it's sort of challenging to score with any of the above going full tilt after elk).
But.... obligatory photo attached - my 76 yo FIL with his first elk ever from this hunt).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210217/efdbe9dd729d7876d1752f8eea4b685e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

MrWolf
02-17-2021, 09:23 AM
You could also look at a 410 upper if it suits ya. I have a Charles Daly and it is actually fun to shoot. Finding anything in stock could be an issue. Good luck.
Ron

FergusonTO35
02-17-2021, 01:50 PM
.410 ammo is about the rarest thing around here. 9mm and 5.56 are growing on trees by comparison. If you are serious about the Axe or any other .410 firearm you may want to reload for it.

country gent
02-17-2021, 02:08 PM
For its intended uses 2-3 boxes of heavy birdshot and 2-3 boxes of personal defense loads ( after break in and learning it) would be several years supply LOL. I am thinking of making some all brass cases for it thinking they would smooth feeding over the plastic.

FredBuddy
02-17-2021, 04:38 PM
Country Gent:

I read here that 444 Marlin brass will work for 410.
I got some at the LGS but haven't tried it yet.
I'm on a casting binge right now, so that project
is on the list.

country gent
02-17-2021, 09:46 PM
I have read that to but also have read that it dosnt work as well in repeaters semi auto pump or lever actions. Im suspecting a difference in the rims. Ill need to do some measuring on them when I get some 410 cases. Rim and body dia. Had an old guy here that shot 410 thru a trapdoor. so maybe 45-2.4 brass would work also

cwtebay
02-18-2021, 01:01 AM
For its intended uses 2-3 boxes of heavy birdshot and 2-3 boxes of personal defense loads ( after break in and learning it) would be several years supply LOL. I am thinking of making some all brass cases for it thinking they would smooth feeding over the plastic.I have a set of dies that will actually go in a press for this. I believe they're for 303 Brit, but I had a pile of 30 Army when I first got then so that's what I stick to. Only tricky bit is your nose profile. It nearly needs to look like a 7.62 Nagant revolver round to cycle well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
02-18-2021, 10:12 AM
I bought some Russian .410 slugs 20 years ago that had nickel plated steel cases. They were intended for the AK type auto shotguns I suppose- because they got stuck in my H&R Topper, Rossi Matched Pair, and Springfield 67 pump. I was happy that I only bought a few. I always thought that a Lightweight .410 lever action would be handy, but the only one I ever liked was the one Marlin made in the mid 20th century- not the later one that resembled the 45-70 model.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

MrWolf
02-19-2021, 09:05 AM
I have a latter Marlin 410 lever and it is also great. I love my Marlin levers. I have a mec 410 loader so half the battle of reloading is not an issue.

NITROTRIP
02-20-2021, 03:54 PM
Hi All,
Magtech makes all brass 410 shotgun shells.
My brother&friends in Minneasota quit golf for trap, sez less irratiting. They use expensive over unders ect.
He uses our grandfathers side by side external hammer 12ga made in 1912, solid brass shells with black powder.
He cleans house. He picked up an old SxS 410 and shoots the same way. Got all his solid brass cases from
Midway and Track of the wolf. His wife has a Mossberg 500 pump 410 that she uses for yard&garden pests.
More boom less crack report with his black powder loads, and easy cleanup-no wad plastic. pump cycles awsome.
In The Mossberg he also loads a Lee moulds .451 or .454 single round ball with Trail Boss/700fps crimped at center with 45colt die for a Redneck Crossman 760 pellet gun. Crossman BBguns have been smooth bore for some time. Feeds as good as any 2-1/2" shell, and with shotgun bead sight is good to 15-20yds.
Take care,
Rick