PDA

View Full Version : removing sizing ring from LEE 45 ACP factory crimp die

guy_with_boolits
02-16-2021, 06:47 PM
Is it an okay thing to do?

I need a taper die so I can do two-operation seat and crimp. I got this but it turns out its sizing down the case and crushing the boolit (confirmed with pulling).

I'm wondering if I can push that sizing ring out and use it to just do the crimp (remove the flare)

EDIT: too late did it..I think I'm still going to get a taper die so I can try both

charlie b
02-16-2021, 08:46 PM
The crimp ring on my Lee FDC is a taper crimp. The .45acp is a bit shorter than the one in the 9mm die.

And, yes, you can adjust the die to do more or less taper.

ioon44
02-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Is it an okay thing to do?

I need a taper die so I can do two-operation seat and crimp. I got this but it turns out its sizing down the case and crushing the boolit (confirmed with pulling).

I'm wondering if I can push that sizing ring out and use it to just do the crimp (remove the flare)

EDIT: too late did it..I think I'm still going to get a taper die so I can try both

I did this with a Lee .44 SPL die so I can load .432" bullets for my Bull Dog, the crimp worked ok.

marek313
02-17-2021, 12:23 PM
I have never removed the rings but I have used diamond paste to hone those out to a larger size, same with lee sizing dies. Dowel in a drill with some cotton or felt and diamond paste. I think i had to do that to most of my dies I think you kind of have to if your shooting lead.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-17-2021, 12:30 PM
I did this with a Lee .44 SPL die so I can load .432" bullets for my Bull Dog, the crimp worked ok.
I did the exact same thing for 44 spl/mag.

guy,
when I gently tapped out the carbide ring, it cracked and busted. I've heard of others being able to remove the ring without harm, then were able to re-install it.

mdi
02-17-2021, 12:37 PM
Yes, the post crimping sizing ring can be punched out. I put the one I had in a padded vise and removed adjusting screw and seating stem. I then just used a long pin punch and down from the top I was able to get to the upper, inside edge of the ring and punched it out...