PDA

View Full Version : Should I use my old lyman 450 or sell it and try and get a lee app press

phil3333
02-16-2021, 04:47 PM
I could probably sell it for as much as the lee press cost

onelight
02-16-2021, 05:15 PM
I would keep it and save for an app press :)

John McCorkle
02-16-2021, 05:18 PM
I would keep it and save for an app press :)I would agree with him here.....but....save to buy APP, then when you get it and use it, see if you REALLY like it and sell the lyman if so.

My concern would be selling to save up and not getting an APP for months and months and being out a press altogether

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

trapper9260
02-16-2021, 05:21 PM
I would keep it and save for an app press :)

I say the same

phil3333
02-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Sounds like the best plan

charlie b
02-16-2021, 09:01 PM
I would ask why you want the APP?

Do you already have a single stage press? If so just get some NOE push through sizing kit and bushings. It won't have the auto bullet feed, but, is just a bit faster than the Lyman.

An auto bullet feed is nice, once loaded. I had one for my Loadmaster but found that overall it was just as fast to set the bullets by hand than it was to load up the tubes.

But, if you like the idea of all the different things the APP might do better, then go for it.

Then there is the problem trying to find one in stock somewhere.

phil3333
02-16-2021, 09:13 PM
I figured the autofeeed would be worth it

fatelk
02-16-2021, 11:47 PM
I just got rid of my very last Lyman 450, sold it on eBay for crazy money, enough to buy three APP presses. Then I cleaned up and sold all my lube-sizer dies and top punches for a bunch more. I felt a little bad about it, but buyers bid what they will. I guess now is the time to get rid of stuff you don't use. I finally cleaned up and listed some unused molds on ebay too.

I sold it because I've powder coated long enough now to know finally and for certain that I will never go back to lube-sizing.

The APP is finicky. It's amazing when you have it set up just right, but depending on what you're doing it can be a huge pain to get just right. The feed mechanism works a lot better for some bullet styles than for others. For some it's easier to just drop them in one at a time by hand.