PDA

View Full Version : Shoveling snow; why so hard?

Idaho45guy
02-15-2021, 10:21 PM
Every winter, you hear the warnings about shoveling snow and how it causes heart attacks in old out of shape guys and to be careful. I always thought those were silly since old out of shape guys should be careful with all physical activity, and not just shoveling snow.

Woke up this morning to about 10" of the stuff and promptly cleared my short walk with no issues...

Then drove out to my dad's place and cleared his walk and around his vehicle with no issues.

Returned home and decided to clear out my girlfriend's parking spot, which is about 8' x 20'. I could do maybe 5-6 shovels worth, then have to stop and found myself seriously out of breath with my heart rate off the chart. I'd shovel for about 30 seconds, then have to rest for a couple of minutes. It was weird. Snow was cold and light, so no idea why it was so taxing. I did just get over Covid last week, so might be still suffering the effects of that, but the snow shoveling definitely sneaks up on you. One minute you're fine, and the one too many scoops and you're on the verge of a heart attack. It's weird.

BigAlofPa.
02-15-2021, 10:28 PM
Im a heart patient. And i just pace myself. I plow most of our snow. But there is some areas i shovel. My last deer i got. I had my heart rate up high from dragging it out. Chest pain for a week after. Got checked out. I was ok. They said i gave the old ticker a workout.

VariableRecall
02-15-2021, 10:33 PM
I live not so far from where you do, and currently the snow over on the Wash/Id border is quite the double whammy of fluffy and wet. It;s a lot heavier than you'd expect and every last scrap of it is going to turn to ice when you're not looking.

What people at my apartment block like to use is leafblowers to blast off walkways but that's not going to help much at the rate that it's coming down.

CastingFool
02-15-2021, 11:33 PM
wet snow can be very heavy, and it's difficult to shovel it, due to the weight. It even put a strain on snowblowers. The wet snow plugs up the chute and packs it tight. I have a 9hp double stage blower and when the snow is wet, I have learned to just leave the snow along. You spend a long time unplugging the chute. OTH, if the snow is light and fluffy, I can clear my 100ft driveway and 20ft turn around in about an hour, and the depth of the snow seems to affect how long it takes to blow out the driveway

rbuck351
02-16-2021, 03:05 AM
I have a 150 yard driveway so the shovel thing is out. I use a snow blower for the tight spots around the cars and a 1 ton dually with a plow for the rest. I have never met a shovel that I like.

wch
02-16-2021, 03:22 AM
When faced with a large meal, take small bites.
Exert yourself, then rest, then back at it, then rest.
There shouldn't be a time limit to accomplish your task, you have the rest of your life to get it done!

MrWolf
02-16-2021, 06:39 AM
Snow blower! I have an old MTD that still runs fine. Trick is to do an upgrade to the thrower blades and attach pieces of tire to them. Kinda like a squeegee effect. Throws the snow nice and far. My blower is currently sitting next to my back door with a plug there for the electric start.

RU shooter
02-16-2021, 07:19 AM
It's called we're all getting old ! Lol I just turned 52 , I know I can't shove it like I used to I'm strong but outa shape and a smoker to boot . I do a little patch and take a few minute break so some more take a break . My body tells me when to slow down but ya gotta listen to it .

tdoor4570
02-16-2021, 09:03 AM
For as much snow we have got this year, I'm going to put my snow shovel on craglist or ebay

GhostHawk
02-16-2021, 09:21 AM
Snow blower is indeed the secret. In my case I pay my neighbor who is younger, viking like to blow me out when he blows his.

Costs me less than 300$ a year and I no longer have to dress up, go outside, and slay the dragon. Worth every penny!
Sit inside warm and snug and wait for that sweet roar of a snowblower being run by someone else. Best deal I ever did.

pastera
02-16-2021, 09:23 AM
Most of us aren't used to hard physical labor so its easy to overdo things

I do a decent amount of cycling - Once I start bundling up in cold weather my heart rate skyrockets for similar efforts. The effect is much more pronounced than in high heat levels. I ride with a heart rate chest strap on the same routes and see my heart rate max out on efforts that wouln't even have me breathing hard in 70 degree weather.

Once you bundle up you can't get rid of heat but your face, hands and feet are still chilled compared to the rest of your body so you don't feel like you are overheating - this doesn't take long at all when exerting yourself shoveling snow.

Be careful - if you are breathing hard then your heart is most likely beating hard too.

375supermag
02-16-2021, 09:40 AM
Hi...
I am very careful about shoveling snow.
66 years old and have survived cancer three times. Missing part of my left lung.
I mostly use the snow blower although this year my son has been doing that.
I mostly just clear off the deck and vehicles.
The last little 3" snowfall was light and fluffy, so I just used the shovel to push it off the driveway before my wife and son got home from work. Did have to actually lift the packed in snow that the plow blocked the end of the driveway with. That didn't do the arthritis in my neck any good at all.

Weather liars are predicting plowable snow here in southcentral Pennsylvania for Wednesday night and Thursday, so we will once more be fighting the elements. Not really looking forward to it.

DougGuy
02-16-2021, 09:49 AM
I got allay'all beat! I live where we get very little snow and I don't own or have to look at a shovel! :bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2021, 10:01 AM
In MN, you can expect 5+ months of snow removal. We get wet heavy stuff and can get lightweight cold stuff. It sticks around and piles up for these 5 months, so what really becomes important is space management for those of us in town with town sized lots and multiple off street parking areas and multiple sidewalks. It's not uncommon for me to have a snow pile near my Garage that is 15 feet high come late winter/early spring ;)

I have shovels, small and large snow blowers, and a ATV with a plow...all get used depending on the type and amount of snow to move. Also, many times over the years when there is large snow totals, in the spring it's common for me to use the snow blower on the garden, to help the Sun get the garden warmed up. When I do that, I always blow the snow toward the base of my fruit trees, in attempt to keep them from blooming too early ;)

Scrounge
02-16-2021, 10:20 AM
I live not so far from where you do, and currently the snow over on the Wash/Id border is quite the double whammy of fluffy and wet. It;s a lot heavier than you'd expect and every last scrap of it is going to turn to ice when you're not looking.

What people at my apartment block like to use is leafblowers to blast off walkways but that's not going to help much at the rate that it's coming down.

Let's not forget that a snow shovel is 3 or 4 times as large as a regular shovel, too. Not to mention the heavy and restrictive clothing most folks wear to shovel snow. Makes it easy to over heat the core of your body, while you're still freezing the extremities.

upr45
02-16-2021, 10:21 AM
I had covid back in early Nov, although it was a mild case and felt like a cold except for the lack of snot, my tail dragged for about a month or so. Minor physical activities that rarely taxed my system left me occasionally in a dripping sweat, wore out mode, which took a couple of months to quit having those moments. Snow shoveling is kind of almost different each time. I live in an area of the UP of MI that gets way more mild snowfall than those close to Superior. Heavy, wet snow definately leaves me very sweaty and tired, although I use a snowblower for most of the area, however the deck, steps, and close to garage require shoveling. Normally 3-4" or less of powder I prefer to shovel than run the snowblower. Powder snow shoveling to me can be surprisingly exhausting in my opinion due a number of factors: to the heaver clothes (carhart jacket-- I think they make you warm by fighting body movement), wind -- makes the snow have a crust which requires more effort to break thru, poorer traction, muscles are "tighter " in cold weather, etc... It takes me a few minutes to cool down and quit sweating when I do snow removal that takes more than 15-20 min. Also seems like I dehydrate a bit when snow removing, which also contributes to fatigue.

CastingFool
02-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Last year, our area experienced much colder than normal weather. I was out clearing the driveway, and it was relatively nice out. I found myself thinking that I was having a really good time. I went and got my multimeter, that can read temp. It was -15° F.

BJK
02-16-2021, 10:42 AM
I have heart disease and a triple bypass. For some reason in phase 2 cardiac rehab they warn us to go easy on the arm exercises because it puts lots of strain on the heart. This is long after the surgery has healed so they're not concerned about the pipes leaking but the heart muscle not handling it.

If you breathe hard from normal exertion I'd get checked out. That was one of my signs and I ignored it. After my surgery my blood O2 was much better and that shows itself in not losing my breath as I did before the surgery. What was I like before my extremely mild hear attack? I would lose breath and even breathing deeply and fast wouldn't allow me to get O2 to satisfy my body. My lungs were getting what they needed, but my heart wasn't passing it on to where the oxigenated blood was needed. But the result was that I would breathe like a steam locomotive but it didn't help me catch my breath.

Others have mentioned a snowblower. That was one of the things I bought to clean off our deck. Believe it or not it's a Toro electric. It can't go on the gravel driveway or anywhere that isn't paved or concreted, you get the idea. It's perfect for the deck, is very lightweight and isn't the toy that I thought it would be. Its light weight enough that if I ever need to get it up on the roof I can carry it up a ladder.

Gents, take care of yourselves and don't accept a lack of wind for old age. That's a sign that something is wrong.

Oh yeah, I live in Maine and removing layers as you warm up is mandatory. Many decades ago I would chop wood for a gent who yarded the logs with horses. A real old time operation, except with a chainsaw. There for a time was -30 some odd degrees and the work went on despite the cold. Now understand that when I work hard I heat up and sweat. That even happens at those temps. What must be done is when the heat starts to build one removes layers. After a few minutes I'd be done to my longjohn top and steaming just as much as the horses. When I stopped for a few minutes the layers were put back on so that I wouldn't freeze. But by removing and adding layers as needed my insulation stayed dry and usable and my body heat was handled.

ktw
02-16-2021, 10:59 AM
The trick is not to lift it. Been living in big snow country most of my life and we have always used these for moving snow by hand.

-ktw

memtb
02-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Many folks are discovering that the snow can’t be removed with a stroke or two on a keyboard! memtb

sharps4590
02-16-2021, 11:27 AM
I was an electrician/electrical contractor for 42 years and the difficulty I had with ALL shovel is I could never find the switch to turn them on. On my snow blower, everything is very clearly delineated.

fixit
02-16-2021, 11:34 AM
At 59, I've stayed very active, and while I have more girth than I ought, shoveling snow is no big deal, just don't over or under dress! I've maintained a strong core, so I'm not even sore from an hour or so of shoveling yesterday.

Omega
02-16-2021, 11:44 AM
It rarely snows here, so I ordered an electric snow blower last year, it's still in the box. I mainly us a snow shovel like this one, it works pretty good and I can drag the snow and dump it if it gets too heavy like it did a few years ago. This time there is less than 1", and it's mainly ice crystals which makes them easy to walk or drive on because they give good grip to your tires or shoes, so I think I'll just let them melt on it's own.

Randy Bohannon
02-16-2021, 11:45 AM
I get after it as soon as it’s reasonable ,my rule is the same for lawns . I don’t want any more area to mow or shovel that takes more than one hour. We had 3 snowfalls over 4” @ -22 no one shoveled very much, I could only do around the front door and a little of the drive way,north wind @ 15 mph was dangerous . It warmed up to 0 on Saturday and no wind I did all of mine, driveway, deck, basement stairs, path to the garage and both of my neighbors . One neighbor is elderly and they just can’t do a good enough job to make a safe path to their vehicles, I make sure the have a safe path. My other neighbor is just a great guy that has to many irons in the fire and does some pretty cool things for me. I don’t mind it most of the time. I have been asked if my drive way is heated, nope get the snow off and the sun hits it and dries up fast.

waksupi
02-16-2021, 12:04 PM
After our first heavy snow in October, I went and bought a two stage snow blower. It was obvious my back wasn't going to like the shovel anymore.

memtb
02-16-2021, 12:34 PM
It rarely snows here, so I ordered an electric snow blower last year, it's still in the box. I mainly us a snow shovel like this one, it works pretty good and I can drag the snow and dump it if it gets too heavy like it did a few years ago. This time there is less than 1", and it's mainly ice crystals which makes them easy to walk or drive on because they give good grip to your tires or shoes, so I think I'll just let them melt on it's own.

Do you put a small generator in a “Radio Flyer” wagon to power your electric snow blower during a power outage! :bigsmyl2: Asking for a friend! ;) memtb

DocSavage
02-16-2021, 12:56 PM
Always have been a physical wreck even as a kid when I registered for the draft I weighed 100 lbs soaking wet. Saw too many guys from work drop dead from shoveling snow when I got my current house I bought a snow blower. Local weatherman had this snipet if you shovel 12" of wet snow off of 20 ft of a city sidewalk you've moved 1 ton of snow. Current snow blower Ariens Pro cuts a 32" path 15 hp.

1hole
02-16-2021, 01:15 PM
.....the depth of the snow seems to affect how long it takes to blow out the driveway

Wonder why that is?

;)

slim1836
02-16-2021, 01:26 PM
I don't own a snow blower or shovel, too old and lazy for that.

It will melt someday. I can wait.

Slim

memtb
02-16-2021, 01:54 PM
I only have a small amount to shovel, about 60 feet of 6 foot sidewalks. For the 450 feet of driveway approx. 25 feet of width and the 1/2 mile 35 /40 feet wide, gets the Polaris Ranger with the plow. I rarely do the roadway, unless we get a lot of snow and the county is backed-up. Usually share that job with some of the neighbors! :D memtb

1hole
02-16-2021, 02:04 PM
I got allay'all beat! I live where we get very little snow and I don't own or have to look at a shovel! :bigsmyl2:

Sound like a "half-back" to me.....

Life is a puzzling mystery to Greenie-Weinies. They finally got Texas set up to depend heavily on solar cells and windmills but, in spite of all their determination to ignore reality it's smacked them in the butt.

Not too long ago Texas had plenty of electrical energy but, now that the greens have fixed it, many things have stopped in their tracks due to a modest snow storm. Seems the super-magic sun cells won't do anyone a lot of good when there's a few inches of snow sitting on them and frozen windmills are also a disappointment. BUT, greenies are dreamy eyed "liberals" (meaning they live detached from reality) so I don't expect Mother Nature's present wake-up call will have any lasting effect on them.

Kraschenbirn
02-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Took me around 40 minutes (not counting the time to get into my Carhart's and Sorel boots) to clear 10"-12" snow off driveway and and open an access to our rural mailbox with my 24" Troy-Bilt 2-stage. First time in three years I've actually needed it to move snow. Usually, it gets fired up once in the Fall when I take it out of storage and once in the Spring when I do the annual service before I put it away.

Bill

VariableRecall
02-16-2021, 04:08 PM
Many folks are discovering that the snow can’t be removed with a stroke or two on a keyboard! memtb

Technically, you could remove the snow that way if you text your pals to remove it for you!

Also, my snow removal implement of choice is a PolyScoop. Basically a polycarbonate shovel with a flat bottom and a large carrying capacity. The Scoop is probably the best thing to use for shovelling bark, loose dirt, and scraps of lawn debris. The utility as a snow-shovel is an added benefit!
https://www.amazon.com/Ames-12-D-Handle-Poly-Scoop/dp/B00IA861EI/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=scoop+Shovel&qid=1613505765&sr=8-8

daengmei
02-16-2021, 05:57 PM
I'd shovel for about 30 seconds, then have to rest for a couple of minutes.

A couple years ago I was using a tiller in the garden. The stop and go was necessary and I knew something was not right. A trip to the doc and they kept me. 5 major blockages and they used a very long vein (or was it an artery?) in my right leg for the needed replacement parts. I have a very tender 8"scar right in the middle of my chest

Do not ignore what might be a symptom! Go get checked out.

Butzbach
02-16-2021, 06:16 PM
Sometimes not having the right tool can be a blessing. It snows maybe once every 25 years in SE Texas. So no blower or even a proper snow shovel here. We got about 5” Sunday night. All I had was a 10” square garden shovel. Did my 24’ X 30’ drive in about 3 hours. It was like scrubbing a floor with a tooth brush. The small shovel kept me from over exerting myself I’m sure. It was wind drifted light snow over about a 1/4” of ice/slush. So, medium heavy. Varied throwing it from the center with just sliding it to the edge. I’m 63 and not feeling any worse for wear today. I do agree that it is always harder than it looks.

GregLaROCHE
02-16-2021, 06:34 PM
Don’t be foolish! If you’re getting older and not used to regular physical exertion at that level, get a snowblower. Drain out all gas at the end of winter, run the carburetor dry and it will probably be good to go for many years. Possibly longer than you. Heart attacks are nothing to take chances with and back complications can put you out of commission too. Get a snowblower!

Big Tom
02-16-2021, 08:20 PM
I took "the easy way out" this year, got Covid pneumonia right on time to be able to convincingly tell me wife that I by no means can shovel and she'll have to do it :-) Worked twice already!! (but as a good husband, I started the snow blower for her...)

NyFirefighter357
02-16-2021, 08:34 PM
This is my snow shovel! https://youtu.be/f-jSOhD-Apw

When 16 inches falls on your driveway, the Ariens® Deluxe 30" snowblower sends it back up. The 14-inch, all-steel, impeller throws powder up to 50 feet away at a rate of up to 72 tons of snow per hour. Plus, with its powerful engine and Auto-Turn™ steering technology, you’ll feel like you’re turning a hot lap in a finely tuned sports car, rather than clearing a sidewalk.

uscra112
02-16-2021, 09:22 PM
I'm in SE Ohio where we do get snow, but the religious method usually works pretty well. ("God put it there. and He will take it away".) Usually within a day or two.

In eleven winters, this is only the second one where I've had enough to plow. First time I did it with my Ford 8N. This time a farmer neighbor with a serious tractor did it, which is good because my back is so bad now that I can't even hook the grader blade up, much less mount the tire chains on the Ford. I've shoveled the porch and the steps. The rest I'm just tramping through like the legendary logger lover, using a couple of old ski poles for balance. What with the COVID and all, I only go out once a week anyway.

We got a quarter-inch of ice last night. That required breaking into the Explorer and running the engine for half an hour while listening to talk radio. Warmed it up enough that the windows required minimal effort to clear. Why my HughesNet dish didn't ice up I'll never know, but it didn't, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

gbrown
02-16-2021, 11:36 PM
Old joke from a buddy who lived in Kansas as a child. Dad told them one day, we're moving, pack every thing you want to take. They did so. Last thing on the roof of the family station wagon was a snow shovel. Drove south and stopped in Oklahoma City for gas. Guy asked, "Why you got a snow shovel on the roof?" Gassed up and drove south. Stopped in Dallas for gas. Attendant asked, "Why you got a snow shovel on the roof of your car.?" Drove to Conroe, Tx., stopped for gas. Attendant asked, "What's that on top of your car?" Dad said, "We are here."

country gent
02-16-2021, 11:44 PM
Around here the old farmers technique for snow removal is climb up get comfortable. Hit the glow plug button for 60 secs or so then start the tractor, adjust the heater. pull out of the barn and either the front end loader or blade. Youd be surprised how fast a 100+ horse diesel moves snow LOL [smilie=1:

Omega
02-16-2021, 11:46 PM
Do you put a small generator in a “Radio Flyer” wagon to power your electric snow blower during a power outage! :bigsmyl2: Asking for a friend! ;) memtbHa, no, it just sits on the tailgate of my truck.
https://i.imgur.com/U7qK6fA.jpg

uscra112
02-16-2021, 11:53 PM
Around here the old farmers technique for snow removal is climb up get comfortable. Hit the glow plug button for 60 secs or so then start the tractor, adjust the heater. pull out of the barn and either the front end loader or blade. Youd be surprised how fast a 100+ horse diesel moves snow LOL [smilie=1:

That's my neighbor. Takes him longer to drive from his place to mine than it does to clear 300 yards of driveway.

He also brush-hogs my pasture for me. 10 acres with a 14 foot batwing mower takes him a little over two hours.

country gent
02-17-2021, 12:19 AM
hes "milking" it to make it look good LOL

When we moved snow here as kids we would use the front end loader and pile it up in one place building it up with new snow as they came. Eventually we had a Hill to sled down.

We would plow our drive and paths at home then who ever was first ( there were 4 or 5 of us boys local) there did the shut ins and older neighbors drives. Cant ever remember not being back home for lunch. The plus was these older were all country people and "Payment" was cakes cookies and pies.

gwpercle
02-17-2021, 02:15 PM
It's not that hard ... I've never shoveled snow in my entire 71 years of life ... in fact I've never touched a snow shovel .
You just have to know how to play your cards right . .. And I know how !
Gary

memtb
02-17-2021, 02:25 PM
gwpercle, having been born and raised 20 miles north of Baton Rouge, and leaving @ age 34, and moving to Wyoming 36 years ago.....I don’t mind a snow shovel at all. I’ll take the snow shovel over the crime of RedStick! ;-) I miss my family and the food, beyond that .....one of the best things I’ve ever done!

I only wish my kids/grandkids/great grandkids would leave, before I lose one of them to the criminal element! memtb

David2011
02-20-2021, 12:56 AM
It's called we're all getting old ! Lol I just turned 52 , I know I can't shove it like I used to I'm strong but outa shape and a smoker to boot . I do a little patch and take a few minute break so some more take a break . My body tells me when to slow down but ya gotta listen to it .

You’ll really like it in another 15-20 years.

Left my snow shovel in New Mexico when I moved back to the Gulf Coast.

memtb
02-20-2021, 10:29 AM
I had the opportunity to do a “Lot” of shoveling day before yesterday.....shoveling about 8 yards of cow manure (damp - heavy) from a trailer into our garden. I’ll take snow shoveling any day....snow doesn’t stink! :holysheep :bigsmyl2: memtb

Hickok
02-20-2021, 11:00 AM
My wife has it figured out.

"You are NOT John Wayne, and you're not 18 anymore!" :shock:

memtb
02-21-2021, 09:56 AM
My wife has it figured out.

"You are NOT John Wayne, and you're not 18 anymore!" :shock:

Ain’t that the truth! memtb

William Yanda
02-21-2021, 10:19 AM

What about the 3 S rule?

tinsnips
02-22-2021, 09:37 AM
I use my skid steer it is the best shovel ever.

rockrat
02-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Tractor---cab??--heater??? What are those???:kidding: I could only wish I had a cab and heater on my tractor!! Too old a tractor I guess.

memtb
02-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Heated/AC cab on a tractor is waaaaay nice! Heated cab on a Polaris Ranger is also pretty darn nice for hunting season and plowing snow.....Though, we suffer through summer with no AC! :lol: memtb

Cosmic_Charlie
02-22-2021, 07:07 PM
I bought my first snowblower this fall. Happy to not shovel anymore. Has an electric start but starts right up with a pull or two. At 63 my heart seems fine. My lower back not so much.

Idaho45guy
02-22-2021, 09:11 PM
45 degrees here and the foot and a half of snow we had a couple of days ago is now gone.

tankgunner59
02-22-2021, 09:35 PM
So far I can still get by. I have to take a break a time or two but it gets done. I also have a Craftsman 24" snowblower, and when we get a deep snow I break it out and use it. It's still a bit of a work out but I get the walk and the parking spaces, then I get the 10' high steps in front of the house. After I have to sit down and drink a large glass of water and cool off.

I did have a stress test last year and the cardiologist said my heart is fine he didn't see any problems at all.

Idaho45guy
02-22-2021, 10:22 PM
So far I can still get by. I have to take a break a time or two but it gets done. I also have a Craftsman 24" snowblower, and when we get a deep snow I break it out and use it. It's still a bit of a work out but I get the walk and the parking spaces, then I get the 10' high steps in front of the house. After I have to sit down and drink a large glass of water and cool off.

I did have a stress test last year and the cardiologist said my heart is fine he didn't see any problems at all.

That's great news! I was a smoker for 25 years, and am about 80lbs overweight. Just had a physical done a few months ago and the doctor said my heart and lungs are incredibly healthy and all my numbers look perfect. She was not happy. Said she had a lecture on taking better care of myself all ready, then saw my numbers and said they were better than hers, and she's ten years younger and a vegan. :happy dance: