PDA

View Full Version : ATN ThorLT

JRLesan
02-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Anyone have any first hand experience with one of these. I'm not interested in image recording, bluetooth, sd cards or whatever. Just want a simple thermal scope to shoot pests out of my garden this summer at not over 150 yards or so.

cwtebay
02-15-2021, 06:16 PM
Yep, use one at least 3 nights a week. Definitely a good value.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JRLesan
02-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Was hoping someone with actual 'hands on' experience would expound on pros and cons of said scope...

cwtebay
02-16-2021, 05:53 PM
Was hoping someone with actual 'hands on' experience would expound on pros and cons of said scope...It's not super user friendly for set up. I used a Christmas tree bulb to get it sighted in, then learned about using a frozen pea at target center instead. The range compensator is questionable, the reticle becomes blurred when used around ambient light ( especially at lower temperatures - not sure why exactly).
I have 2 of them, they serve their purpose but not exactly top shelf. I have one on a 22 Nosler, the other on a 6.5 Grendel. The rings that come with the scope are junk in my opinion.
I don't think it's even an acceptable day time scope with all of the other options available.

Afterthought - if you plan on using a suppressor, don't plan on more than a shot or 2. The heat from the suppressor will nearly obliterate your sight picture.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JRLesan
02-16-2021, 07:53 PM
Good to know; was planning to mount on a 10mm PCC to rid my tomatoe patch of critters. I want something that works but I don't need to video or connect to a telephone or anything else beyond aiming and firing. We get a lot of coyotes around here, but the cattle have been sold off for years now so no need to eradicate same. Too far north for hogs (unfortunately) and brother in TX too blind to shoot and not interested anymore. Suggestions?

Three44s
02-19-2021, 11:10 AM
A gun mounted red light.

I like thermal and have a much older ATN Thor with a 100 mm objective but my needs are much greater than yours.

For the money I would start with a light on your gun and a red beam you can focus (spot or flood) and a rheostat to dim the light will get you started. Once you get going you can make up your mind what you really need long term.

Also go to Predator Masters forum and read up on the subject. Lots of good actual people reviews and experiences there.

Enjoy

Three44s