PDA

View Full Version : Black Mag 3'

Ray1946
02-15-2021, 03:47 PM
A few years back I bought a few plastic jugs of Black Mag 3. I was working a lot of overtime at the shop and never got to load any of it at the time, was this a good powder, or does anyone remember? I am planning on doing some shooting this year with my ball pistols and thought I might give it a try..........................

mooman76
02-15-2021, 04:15 PM
I haven't heard of it that I recall.

megasupermagnum
02-15-2021, 08:39 PM
Like all substitutes besides the three that have stood the test of time, reviews were mixed. I've seem people like the stuff, and some hate it. It doesn't do anything specifically better than 777, Pyrodex, or BH 209. It failed to find a niche, and ended production when poor manufacturing practices at the plant resulted in two dead, and more seriously injured.

Hellgate
02-15-2021, 10:36 PM
I really liked it. I has about the power of APP/CleanShot. IIRC it was tan colored and about like FFFg in consistency. I wish it were still available. Like most subs it was corrosive to brass so I use nickeled brass. It was a big improvement on Black Canyon that was like clay based kitty litter. Black Canyon would turn a brown color as it lost its poop and eventually to a hard chunk of black. I can't remember what Blk Mag 3 looked like as it deteriorated. IIRC it might have stated to clump up. I liked both Blk Mag 3 and CLEARshot (which was finer and black like a ball powder). Seems like all the stuff I liked blew someone up. Now I use 3F 777 in the rifle, ANYTHING (Pyro P, RS, APP, and the last of my Black MZ) in the shotgun and real gunpowder in the percussion guns. I would not be surprised if your stash of B Mag 3 has gone south. Shake the bottle. If it is still loose there is hope. If it is still tan there is hope. My impression is that anything other than 777 & Pyro were about the only powders that literally can stand the test of time (in storage). Let us know if it still works.