PDA

View Full Version : To our Northern Members

Texas by God
02-15-2021, 01:42 PM
Come get your -2degree temperature and blowing white stuff. We're not built for it, we don't want it. Have a nice day!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

JoeJames
02-15-2021, 01:48 PM
Come get your -2degree temperature and blowing white stuff. We're not built for it, we don't want it. Have a nice day!

Sent from my SM-A716U using TapatalkI second that.

cwtebay
02-15-2021, 01:49 PM
Yeah.... I'll take that!!! Got to teach my boys how to chop ice and slide out the card table sized chunks without breaking them. I'm sure it's one of those finer things that they recall from their childhood.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210215/d040f7df65971017900a74fdc00f657e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
02-15-2021, 02:16 PM
My 26 year old son and I are going to break ice for the cows to get a drink. He needs to get some stories to tell his kids someday so I think this will work for the “ It was so cold” tales......

jorg0370
02-15-2021, 02:22 PM
I promise to take your easy -2F weather now if you promise to take our 100F/90% humidity in July.

It's not cold until one can feel their nose hairs freeze whilst inhaling.

BJK
02-15-2021, 02:31 PM
Sorry guys. Just remember that the cold you're experiencing is a clear indication of global warming.

jim147
02-15-2021, 03:22 PM
I can't come get it the road is drifted over.

cwtebay
02-15-2021, 03:32 PM
Cold doesn't actually begin until all of your WRF ammo hang fires (gotta keep 'em in your pocket until you need 'em). Learned that from my grandfather about 40 years ago. Turns out that temperature is roughly -38°

Shawlerbrook
02-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Just think, baseball spring training starts this week.

cwtebay
02-15-2021, 03:39 PM
Just think, baseball spring training starts this week.My oldest son's baseball started 3 weeks ago [emoji28]

SeabeeMan
02-15-2021, 03:41 PM
We're just spreading the wealth around. I had -34 at the house this morning with a touch of wind. Yesterday morning the wind chills were somewhere around -50.

tai95
02-15-2021, 04:20 PM
I love the cold. I'm the guy you see on the news walking in shorts during a blizzard. I haven't even dug out a winter coat yet this year.

I was stationed at Ft. Hood and it snowed a few times while I was there. it was definitely interesting to see how a dusting of snow could cripple a state. The one time it snowed that I will never forget is when my cousin came to visit. His flight from DFW to Killeen was cancelled, so I went to pick him up. As I was pulling into the airport parking garage I saw a snowflake. I knew we were about to have an fun night. Found my cousin grabbed his baggage and we headed to the car as we were leaving the airport there was a cop warning people about the hazardous road conditions. I laughed and told him to look at my license plate. He walked around the car saw the NY plate gave me a smile and said you should be fine. Drove home and stopped a bunch of times to help people who were off the road. My cousin still talks about how bad the drivers in TX were that day.

Gewehr-Guy
02-15-2021, 04:42 PM
I feel for you folks who aren't used to , or set up to handle this kind of weather. This morning turned out -27, but sunny and light wind, and 1 above now. Tomorrow we start our slow warming spell, but that means a southerly wind, and thats when it gets COLD. Keep your critters safe, and let your faucets drip, if they ain't froze yet!

Johnch
02-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Ship the cold and snow to me ( You PAY Shipping )
As it is snowing here right now
Had to get meds this morning , stopped 2 times to make sure people that I saw go in the ditch were OK and offer them the use of my cell phone if needed
Last one had Florida plates and had no idea how to drive with snow on the road , I guess I was going 50 MPH and she wanted to go AT LEAST 70 MPH

I even just heard a snow plow go by my house
So that means my driveway just had all the snow on my side of the road plowed onto my driveway
Also when I came home about 11 AM
I had to drive through several drifts as I drove down my driveway
Don't plan on warming up the tractor to clear driveways till Noon Tuesday at the earliest

So Ship the Cold and Snow the cheapest ( Slowest ) way you can

Love the snow .... well at least some snow is fun
I did pull or set off all my traps
As I know I am not planning on checking them for a few days
But the forecast is now we get another batch of snow later in the week LOL

John

rbuck351
02-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Cold is when the 80 proof bottle of whisky in your parka pocket starts getting ice crystals in it. The next week it got really cold and the whisky was freezing solid. That was about 60 miles outside of Nome on a moose hunt. Spent about a week in a shelter cabin with no heat. There's not much wood in that area.

marlin39a
02-15-2021, 05:27 PM
You Texicans better keep it there. 61 here now.

William Yanda
02-15-2021, 05:53 PM
What are you saying? I can hear you but I can't quite understand what you are trying to tell me.

legend 550
02-15-2021, 05:55 PM

SSGOldfart
02-15-2021, 06:03 PM
I second that.

Me too....

jim147
02-15-2021, 06:11 PM
The sun just came out. It's still snowing but we are up to zero.

tai95
02-15-2021, 06:15 PM
The sun just came out. It's still snowing but we are up to zero.

Isn't the famous weather quote for MO if you don't like the weather now, just wait 5 minutes?

tankgunner59
02-15-2021, 06:33 PM
I love the snow too, and I can deal with temps below zero with no problem. I hade two funny events in winter. The first was in Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Ft. Carson, it snowed one inch and they closed the post. Nobody coming in, but we could leave which is exactly what we did. The second was in Atlanta, GA in 1983, it snowed right before Christmas and my little sister came to wake me up to see it. I think my response when she said "it's snowing" was "so what?"
The worst winter I had was oil rigging in Oklahoma, I was the floor hand and had to watch the derrick hand for my que with ice falling into my eyes. Couldn't wear safety glasses cause they were frozen over. HAHA good times.

cwtebay
02-15-2021, 06:38 PM
Cold is when the 80 proof bottle of whisky in your parka pocket starts getting ice crystals in it. The next week it got really cold and the whisky was freezing solid. That was about 60 miles outside of Nome on a moose hunt. Spent about a week in a shelter cabin with no heat. There's not much wood in that area.One of my grandfather's buddies taught me this when I may have been just a tish young. If the whiskey looks thick - warm it up before you take your sip. Sage advice

Pipefitter
02-15-2021, 06:44 PM
Uh, that would be "Northerners, you will need a light coat".............

jonp
02-15-2021, 06:57 PM
Cold doesn't start till you have to keep the perch eyes in your bottom lip to stop them from freezing so you can bait your hook with them when ice fishing

10-x
02-15-2021, 07:23 PM
Holy Cow, you guys have it COLD! 73 here today.

Traffer
02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
In Wisconsin in the winter (-22° F last night) everyone speaks English. Wonder why.
I LOVE the cold weather...I mean -40°. Freezes out the global warming crowd. "Hey Algore" No more snow in the contiguous 48 states after 2013? Just think if Al would have had Dominion on his side he would have been president. Think about that one for a while!

Traffer
02-15-2021, 07:25 PM
Cold doesn't start till you have to keep the perch eyes in your bottom lip to stop them from freezing so you can bait your hook with them when ice fishing

We keep grub worms and red worms in the mouth...makes them wiggle more. Get's more fish.

MrWolf
02-15-2021, 07:55 PM
I was on with my phone/internet provider Frontier today. Tech support supervisor could not access my billing or servers as they were in Texas. It appears the entire state is shut down because somebody found a snowflake and not the type on two legs.

Texas by God
02-15-2021, 08:07 PM
I promise to take your easy -2F weather now if you promise to take our 100F/90% humidity in July.

It's not cold until one can feel their nose hairs freeze whilst inhaling.Your July is called April here[emoji16]
Is Snotcicles a word? God bless Mr Carhartt for coveralls.
It's up to 7 with sunshine now- the illusion of warmth but the breeze reminds you of reality.
You guys would be out playing in this, I know.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-15-2021, 08:36 PM
Weather man was just on next week it's going to be just around 36 all next week it'll be nice to do a little river fishing below the dam

megasupermagnum
02-15-2021, 08:57 PM
That is insane. -2 in Texas? I hope that is some kind of record. It was -27 F today here in central MN, but that is normal weather for this time of year. The crazy part for us is it has been this cold for over 2 weeks straight.

Our record is -60 F set in Embarrass, MN. No I did not make the name up.

xs11jack
02-15-2021, 09:03 PM
I ain't going eniwhares, I am having to much fun with my snow blower. Growing up in the 40's and the 50's in Wisconsin we din't have anything like a snow blower. To us a snow blower was when the snow coming off your snow shovel is blowed right back in your face. And we, of course, had to wrap bobwire around our bare feet to get to school and back home. Got to go, the wife is starting the snow blower after I told her to gas it up.
Ole Jack

Maineboy
02-15-2021, 09:25 PM

The low this morning at my place in far Northern Maine was a balmy +3 degrees. The hard water fishing was excellent! 277765

richhodg66
02-15-2021, 09:50 PM
Calling for -15 here tonight. Was -11 this morning. Fortunately, tomorrow is the end of the cold snap, supposed to hit the low 20s on Wednesday which will feel down right hot by then.

GhostHawk
02-15-2021, 09:50 PM
Showing -3 f here so feel free to ship me warmer air.

Now next week we are expected to get above freezing. That will be a nice change from the -35 wind chills the last 2 weeks.

Zingger
02-15-2021, 09:52 PM
GhostHawk- We just got back to the "banana belt" of ND- that would be west and south of the river. It actually got above the "0" mark today! Was in your neck of the woods for the weekend.

Big Tom
02-15-2021, 10:18 PM
I tried to pick it up, but could not find it because it was dark everywhere ;-)

Mk42gunner
02-15-2021, 10:28 PM
I was surprised we got a few inches of snow with the temps hovering around zero. If it was twenty degrees warmer we would have gotten a couple of feet of the white stuff.

Robert

pmer
02-16-2021, 12:29 AM
Let your faucets run a little bit. It will help keep them from freezing up.

cas
02-16-2021, 12:32 AM
Let us know if you want us to send down some salt too so your cars can rust out, get the full effect.

rbuck351
02-16-2021, 02:53 AM
I can't complain. The coldest it's got this winter is about 16/18 below and so far the snow has never got more than 3 or 4" deep. I haven't even put the plow on the truck this year. I lived in Nome Ak for 6 years and it was normal to get about 35 below for a month or so. Then we moved to Anchorage for 28 years where it rarely got below 25 below. 5 years ago we moved to Mt. for the balmy weather. It rarely gets below 15 below. But it rarely gets over 100 and that doesn't last for more than a few days. I don't plan on changing my address again.

Wierd thing is I've noticed global warming every summer and global cooling every winter. Strange stuff this climate change.

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2021, 05:48 AM
ya but all the tourists are gone!!!! Personaly id take the cold over them.

trapper9260
02-16-2021, 06:31 AM
ya but all the tourists are gone!!!! Personaly id take the cold over them.

I do also you can tell when they show up here also .

marlin39a
02-16-2021, 09:01 AM
I didn’t know that Texas is using wind farms for green energy. Their all frozen up, and not working. People are dying. The governor recently accepted a reward from the green promoter. A total disaster.

GhostHawk
02-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Zingger you get back over this way give me a yell.

All cast boolit brothers are welcome to stop by for coffee or perhaps something stronger.

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2021, 09:45 AM
I didn’t know that Texas is using wind farms for green energy. Their all frozen up, and not working. People are dying. The governor recently accepted a reward from the green promoter. A total disaster.

yup green and white dont seem to mix. Youd think with there global warming bs this kind of thing would never happen. Believing like those idiots there should be a better chance of me getting sunburned in February then texans getting burried in snow. If global warming is real we sure havent seen it up here this year. Over the last month a guy about wonders if the ice age isnt comming back.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2021, 10:08 AM
To our Northern Members:

:goodpost:

I was wondering where that went?
You can ship it back via USPS flat rate box, I can paypal you the fees
:drinks:

:bigsmyl2:

:bigsmyl2:

:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2021, 10:45 AM
heck go buy yourself a snowmobile and have some fun!

BJK
02-16-2021, 11:08 AM
<snip> If global warming is real we sure havent seen it up here this year. Over the last month a guy about wonders if the ice age isnt comming back.

Remember when nobama was in England for a global warming summit and they were having an incredible snowstorm? GOD has a great sense of humor. But it was lost on most people. I think that was the same year that scientists were in the arctic studying the thinning ice sheet. They got stuck in ice and had to be rescued. Yup, the ALMIGHTY has a great sense of humor.

OK, now a little history. Back in the 60s scientists were claiming that we were headed into another ice age. The climate is always changing and is cyclical. We've had ice ages before, they melt and we have an interglacial period, which we're in right now. But back in the 60s we were headed into an ice age. Then "global warming" happened and the ice age stopped and if the scientists can be believed we're warming up. Can't have that! Mankind was about to be decimated. So "they" want to stop global warming so that we can get destroyed. That may not make sense until one looks at the left and the source of all this crap. Their god (note the lowercase) satan hates mankind and has been trying to destroy us for thousands of years. he was about to get his wish and then global warming happened, if it actually happened. So now there needs to be a correction to get back to the multi mile thick ice sheets.

But global warming... not a believer. When someone comes up with that garbage explain to them about the interglacial period and we're in one right now. There are no records of temperatures during one. So ask them what the correct temperature is for this time in our present interglacial period. All they can tell you is that they think the temp' is changing and that there are all sorts of dire consequences that aren't showing up yet. They'll present it as fact, but they're lying. The weather is changing but GOD has everything under control.

OK, todays weather... As I write we're getting the storm, but not the ultra low temps. It's in the 20s, we had very little snow during the night and it's been sleeting very hard for the past few hours. So it's warm and raining up top and cold down here and the rain is freezing before it hits the ground. I'm hoping the mail comes up the hill because I'm waiting on a NOE mold. I can drive in the snow, and in fact I enjoy driving in the snow. But even when I was working if conditions were too bad I'd stay home. The downside to an accident can be huge, the upside not so much, just a days pay. If you don't know how to drive in snow and ice and especially aren't set up for it just stay home. That's what I'm doing today and we're definitely ready for it. I probably won't even plow it off the driveway until tomorrow. Take a day off and do something inside.

kootne
02-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Hi Tex, you got it figured out if you are wearing the Carhartt coveralls. I'm sure they have overshoes in Texas, a pair of them over your boots is the cheapest path to warm toes. If it gets really cold, find a pair of wool socks big enough to go over your cowboy boots and get a pair of insulated overshoes big enough to go over that combo. A cowboy hat will keep your head warm to at least -10 along with a double wrapped bandana around your neck. A pair of Giant sized Handy Andy gloves with a pair of G.I. wool glove liners inside. You can get a lot of work done with that wardrobe. When you're old, you can tell the grandkids you remember back when it was colder than a brass toilet on the north slope of an iceberg.

SSGOldfart
02-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Br'rrrrrrrr this still cold down here. I'm not prepared for this kinda weather here. I left the cold many years ago but we were prepared for it then. Look at the the bright side if we freeze to death We won't even know it.....

Gewehr-Guy
02-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Don't worry guys, they are redirecting some of our power down south, but it might not make it past Iowa. A nearby town just had a rolling blackout for about an hour or so, but is online now. Hope they ain't planning to close some more coal plants, or we'll all be heating our houses with corn cobs and cow chips, like our grandparents had to!

AndyC
02-16-2021, 02:46 PM
No power for 24 hours, then got 2 hours this morning - enough to heat the house by 3 degrees (currently 7F outside, 41F indoors). It's been off the last 2 hours again, so I'm a little cross at the Leftie loonies who put us through this.

BJK
02-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Gents, just a word of warning. We get some who do this every year. If you have a generator don't run it indoors thinking you can reclaim the heat. What you will do is reclaim the carbon monoxide. We have people, generally older folks, who commit unwitting suicide by this method every time we have an outage during the winter.

I feel sorry for you folks. We're ready for it, you aren't.

Daver7
02-16-2021, 06:06 PM

skeettx
02-16-2021, 06:12 PM
Amarillo Texas
MINUS 10 degrees yesterday morning
BRRRR

David2011
02-16-2021, 06:28 PM
The rolling blackouts turned out to be total failures of some third party power generation stations that apparently were not designed to be operated in weather below freezing. We were without power for about 24 hours. It really surprised me that it was restored at 2:30 AM. We are fortunate to have a fireplace with natural gas logs. I love a wood fire but when you’re just trying to stay warm it’s nice to not have to dink with the fire.

When the roads dried up enough to get out I found gas for the generator. I drove miles through the suburbs before seeing any place that had power. The few fast food restaurants that were open had lines going back up the streets because people couldn’t cook. Living in an area subject to hurricanes, I keep a box of emergency lighting and cooking supplies that includes a one mantle propane lantern, a one burner propane stove and a few one pound bottles of propane. They came in very handy for this winter storm. Sure wish I could remember what I did with the oil for the traditional oil lamps, though.

MrWolf
02-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Be careful folks. Cold is nothing to mess with. Had a place on Pine Island in Fl, right above Sanibel Island. So cold one January the canals actually froze somewhat and killed a lot of fish. Never thought it got that cold there. I had my winter clothes wore down there but my neighbors were wearing everything they owned. I was working on the house in a T shirt as I had installed two mini splits with heat. Good luck.

SSGOldfart
02-16-2021, 06:42 PM
I 'd almost welcome a good warm hurricane about now.I've got food and water if it doesn't all freeze.We got cold enough to freeze can goods in the house last night. First time Hot water lines has frozen.

Zingger
02-16-2021, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the invite GhostHawk! I will send a PM next time before we leave, maybe I can bring a few Boolits to do some trading, or even some of the harder stuff! Stay warm sir.

GregLaROCHE
02-16-2021, 07:14 PM
You guys really did get the shock treatment!

Mr_Sheesh
02-16-2021, 07:27 PM
Pro tip, if your feet are cold, wiggle your toes. It really helps.

Seattle area's been rather cold the last few days, but not too cold. We're used to that, really. Just more used to "liquid sunshine" than the solid variant.

I have multiple gallons of methanol about for cooking, coleman fuel, about 5 cubic feet of fire starter I was given (Local mad scientist gent got badly injured and won't be camping any more, I will so I got those to share with folks...) And I'm pretty fair at various field expedient gear. Now if my dang knees weren't toast and I could walk easier, mumble.

If someone wants tips on how to fake a stove or whatever, just ask or post a thread, there is a LOT of helpful brainpower & experience on this site, and you can't help out here if you turn blue... Stay warm :)

10-x
02-16-2021, 07:27 PM
277834 Sorry, hard to beat this.....

slim1836
02-16-2021, 07:33 PM
277834 Sorry, hard to beat this.....

You're just rubbing it in. :mrgreen:

Slim

Texas by God
02-16-2021, 07:47 PM
We’ve had a hell of a lot more 70 degree days in February than we have had zero degree days in February, 10-x.
At least in my six decades in North Texas!

Mk42gunner
02-16-2021, 08:32 PM
At the very least, this prolonged cold snap should mean fewer bugs next summer.

Robert

Traffer
02-16-2021, 08:44 PM
Well here is a tip from a hardened northerner. I was living with some other young fellas when college aged. We had a wood burner that heated the whole house. The kitchen bathroom had a gas heater from a trailer we tore apart but that was the part of the house heated. -20° F IN my bedroom...had a broken window and snow on the floor. Anyway, here is the tip. Asphalt burns. As in "the road".
We had access to all the downed wood on a big farm about a half hour drive away. For two years we loaded up with a couple of cords of wood and our home made double stacked barrel stove sufficed for heat. The third year the guy who did almost all of the work said "If nobody helps me this fall, I ain't getting any wood. He was ignored and we indeed didn't have any wood to burn. So:
The first to go was the furniture...then the woodwork, then (here is the great tip) There was a road work spot in front of our house that got closed down for the winter. So we took axes and picks and helped ourselves to the asphalt. It burned well but lots of creosote and for every shovel of asphalt there was 3/4 shovel of sand to clear after it burned. You just don't care when it is that cold in the house. You WILL burn everything.

10-x
02-16-2021, 08:47 PM
From Va. where it gets cold, lived in mountains several years, really cold there. Only thing I miss is good hunting in the winter. Since “ arthur” is in most my joints down here in Fl. is way better, can deal with hot humid any day. Back when I traveled for work was in Chicago one winter, -60 with wind chill, but that was about 35 years ago , had enough “ anti freeze” in blood, lol.

megasupermagnum
02-16-2021, 09:02 PM
At the very least, this prolonged cold snap should mean fewer bugs next summer.

Robert

I wish this were true. Everyone always talks about the mosquitoes on MN. They are bad, but Florida has it worse. What MN does have is horse flies like nowhere else in the country that I have ever been. If you get up north a little ways, the Nemadji state forest is particularly bad, I swear you could just about be carried away by how many horse flies there are there.

white eagle
02-16-2021, 10:50 PM

you got by easy
-29° here yesterday evening
afternoon high of 2°

truckerdave397
02-16-2021, 11:49 PM
I hope that you southern guys and gals like your Michigan sampler pack.

blackthorn
02-17-2021, 12:47 AM
You might be the son of a redneck if:----Years ago my oldest son reached an age wherein he decided that home house rules were too constricting, so, in company with one of his life-long friends he moved out. They rented about a 3200 square foot, 2 level house on the side of a mountain, heated with an oil furnace (underground tank). They filled the oil tank ($350.00) and a month later they ran out of oil (and it was not even real cold yet). On investigation, the tank was found to have a leak. This house had two very large fireplaces so they decided the obvious solution to their heating problem was to just heat the house with wood. Now neither of them had any real knowledge of wood heat and they scrounged up some semi-green maple, fir, cedar and whatever else they could get for free. Did not work out well. Their wood burned but did not produce much heat so, my boy improvised, using a trick we had used to straighten some car coil-springs, got a couple of lengths of metal pipe and stuck one end into the fireplace and stuck an electric hair dryer on the other end. Redneck blacksmith blower! Those 2 boys used that system all winter and they survived quite well, even to the point they cooked Christmas dinner for both families. One of the few (pre-divorce) adult Christmases I can honestly say I really enjoyed.

Lloyd Smale
02-17-2021, 06:17 AM
Well here is a tip from a hardened northerner. I was living with some other young fellas when college aged. We had a wood burner that heated the whole house. The kitchen bathroom had a gas heater from a trailer we tore apart but that was the part of the house heated. -20° F IN my bedroom...had a broken window and snow on the floor. Anyway, here is the tip. Asphalt burns. As in "the road".
We had access to all the downed wood on a big farm about a half hour drive away. For two years we loaded up with a couple of cords of wood and our home made double stacked barrel stove sufficed for heat. The third year the guy who did almost all of the work said "If nobody helps me this fall, I ain't getting any wood. He was ignored and we indeed didn't have any wood to burn. So:
The first to go was the furniture...then the woodwork, then (here is the great tip) There was a road work spot in front of our house that got closed down for the winter. So we took axes and picks and helped ourselves to the asphalt. It burned well but lots of creosote and for every shovel of asphalt there was 3/4 shovel of sand to clear after it burned. You just don't care when it is that cold in the house. You WILL burn everything.

yup were kind of spoiled. My dad said when he was growing up he would wake up to snow on his bedroom floor and his ma stored canned goods under his bed and he saw them actually freeze a couple times. Even up here few actually insulated a house when they built it. Just used a bigger wood stove.

SSGOldfart
02-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Well we have power ��this morning,and icy rain but at least it is @ 32°so our great winter may be over for now...

redhawk0
02-17-2021, 11:12 AM
Remember...you can always put extra clothes on....but when the heat comes...you can only take off so much before people will point and laugh.

I love the North East.

redhawk

SSGOldfart
02-17-2021, 03:20 PM
Let them laugh, I'll do what I have to do I can deal with the heat better than the cold.which is why I live in the south to start with.

Nothing wrong with the North East.

Simper-Fi

varmintpopper
02-17-2021, 03:44 PM
So cold ! Had to milk the cows across my arm and carry the milk in like cordwood.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2021, 07:11 AM
Well we have power ��this morning,and icy rain but at least it is @ 32°so our great winter may be over for now...

yup warmed up finally here too. I was shoving the porch of in my sweatshirt at a balmy 15 above. Felt like summer.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2021, 07:13 AM
Remember...you can always put extra clothes on....but when the heat comes...you can only take off so much before people will point and laugh.

I love the North East.

redhawk

totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2021, 07:23 AM
everybody should have these three essential things. First a generator. Preferably one that will run on gasoline and propane Second is one of those non vented wall heaters. You can pick up one at lowes for less then 200 bucks. Put it in room out of site if you dont want it in the living room. Heck i even made one up with a stand that was poratble. Then get yourself a 100lb tank or 5 20s. between that propane and the gas you should allways keep in case you should be able to get by for a couple days running the generator only when its needed. the heaters need no power. I have propane for heat. So i have my generator set up to run on gas/propane out of a bottle/ or my big hog. I can run the portable heater off either propane sorce. i have a line comming up in a bedroom it can hook it to or i can carry in a bottle and hook it to that and move it to anywhere in the house i need heat at that time. It will pretty much heat the whole house if its about 20 and keep it warm enough where i dont freeze or the pipes dont at below zero temps. dont cheapen out when you buy one though. Buy a generator at least 5000 watts and buy the biggest heater on the shelf. Wood stoves are great to for times like that but just make sure you dont buy one that relys on electricity to run. Mine has a water pump and a electric controlled damper to control temps. I can bypass the damper but it still needs to pump hot water to the heat exchanger.

BJK
02-18-2021, 10:11 AM
Good that at least some of you folks have heat and power restored. You never want to experience it again, but do it more than a few times and you plan "what ifs" and make the solutions happen. The straw that broke the camels back for us was an ice storm that we had (central Maine) that deposited, no exaggeration, 4" of ice on everything. Power lines can't take that load, trees and tree limbs can't either. The entire area was devastated. We were actually more prepared than most folks since we'd already been through a number of these, just not to this degree. The ice became our water source and we did stay warm. But homes are built tight today and burning hydrocarbons builds up moisture. Our walls and ceilings were where it condensed. The first night after the ice storm stopped, 3 days after it began, the temp dropped from the 20s down to -80 with the wind chill. It was after that 5 + days that I vowed to never allow that to happen again. Now we can be without anything from outside for a very long time and not feel at all deprived of anything. OK, not having live TV, radio, and the internet sucks, but I mean other than that. We have 3 major ways of producing heat now in addition to the way we did it all those years ago. Plenty of fuel for all of them, and 2 ways to produce electricity. If I lived in hurricane alley I'd be just as prepared just not with so many heat sources (it's not your fault that you don't have them).

Again, being cold and in the dark sucks bigtime. Glad to hear that it's being restored. Do you folks think that the left learned anything from the experience?

FWIW, this is what heated our home and melted ice and we cooked on it all those years ago. OK, mantle lanterns also helped. But this thing did the heavy lifting. There are very few moving parts. They're fairly small and work great.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/alpaca-kerosene-cooker

Tripplebeards
02-18-2021, 10:20 AM
It’s been below -30 with wind chill here. Negative single digits for the last 2 weeks. It’s all fun and games till your minnows freeze up on a heated porch!

https://i.imgur.com/dzz4FKm.jpg

Snow plowed my sidewalk and my neighbors the other day on my four wheeler. The only thing I didn’t have covered was my ear and my face. I think I got frostbite on the ear and my eyebrows were solid chunks of ice after about 20 minutes. I couldn’t imagine being without power when it’s this cold.

farmbif
02-18-2021, 10:36 AM
it aint no fun freezing, that's fur dang sure. hope y'all keeping warm

redhawk0
02-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Just a little tip for an emergency heater....try a terra cotta pot heater...but instead of a candle...use a large tub of crisco shortening and put a wick in it. The tub of shortening is said to burn up to 45 days and will heat a small room.

redhawk

gpidaho
02-18-2021, 11:27 AM
First off, Hoping things get better soon weather wise for you all soon. Seems so odd to me that states like Texas and Oklahoma that have been flaring off natural gas for most of my life can now be shivering and even dying in the cold. Seems some idiot somewhere (I'm guessing Washington D.C.) has convinced all at the power authority down there that windmills are a much better source of power. Time to stop listening to idiots and go with what you know!. Gp

JoeJames
02-20-2021, 01:18 PM
totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.Major difference between us Southrons and Y'all: if it is 90 and 90 - degrees and humidity; get me a pair of cut-offs, a box fan, and a cold beer, and I am as happy as a dead hog in the sunshine. I hate winter time.

SSGOldfart
02-20-2021, 02:05 PM
Well some of us have water back we have a boil before use order but I can love with that. I to look for warmer weather.But we made it through another without to much damage.Just a broken pipe and loss off some can foods that froze inside of the house. Haven't gotten to the Green house yet??
Who would have thought?? It's never been that cold here in TEXAS.No Power to the house for heat won't happen again,L.p. Fireplace will be running before sunset today.wife is picking up more propane as I type this, Humm breaks over time to get back to the Honey Do list. Hope the rest of you are back to running normally

Markopolo
02-20-2021, 02:07 PM
i been trying to resist the urge to chime in here on my boolit brothers parade...

just another day round here for us Northerners...

https://youtu.be/B2SXlNXf9Pw

JoeJames
02-20-2021, 04:47 PM
i been trying to resist the urge to chime in here on my boolit brothers parade...

just another day round here for us Northerners...

https://youtu.be/B2SXlNXf9PwAll I can say is Bless your hearts!

gbrown
02-20-2021, 05:04 PM
We were blessed, no loss of power, further south near the coast, so not so bad. We got freezing Temps for about 3 days, by that, it didn't get above freezing for 3 days. Last year was the winter that wasn't. Just never know. I have propane heaters, bottles and a small generator for freezers and refrigerator. Been thru a few hurricanes, the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today.

blackthorn
02-20-2021, 09:23 PM
"the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today."

And that right there is the answer to the oft-asked question of why lots of folks rush out and buy up all the milk and bread at the first sign of a storm warning!

rbuck351
02-20-2021, 11:16 PM
Yep, that's what you have to do if your not prepared ahead of time. One should stay prepared all the time not wait for an oncoming storm.

gbrown
02-21-2021, 12:14 AM
"the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today."

And that right there is the answer to the oft-asked question of why lots of folks rush out and buy up all the milk and bread at the first sign of a storm warning!

Nope, sorry you think that way, mine was bought long before that. Boy Scout motto was not for 3 days before, it's for always. Guess what's still in My freezers?

cas
02-21-2021, 12:47 AM
I still really have no idea what they do with it?

https://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

cas
02-21-2021, 12:48 AM
Oh wait, now I do.

https://youtu.be/5W3_OPllU3U

monadnock#5
02-22-2021, 10:03 PM
totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.

In my old age I've come to the opinion that there's only one good month in a year. Two weeks in the spring and two in the fall. :)

Texas by God
02-24-2021, 12:45 AM
81 degrees here today. For those that thought the truly cold weather snap would kill snakes and bugs- think again. My son sent me a pic of a 3' moccasin sunning on the creek bank. Skeeters and ticks and grasshoppers will show up soon.

.429&H110
02-24-2021, 01:25 AM
I was plowing along in NH in an ice storm, the pines over me broke brought down the wires. Was Fourth of July in February so I backed out of the mess. I went and plowed snow elsewhere. Here in the retirement village, my snow peas are a half foot up, and the melons zuks and beans just showed. I need more global warming for the habaneros, but everything else will be up in March. The Bouganvillas died back in the two nights of frost, roses are budding. Whyever would anyone live where it rains ice?

cwtebay
02-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Chinook! Just that one beautiful word.
(But it brings a little mud and flood)

BJK
02-24-2021, 04:38 PM
Bread and milk... My brother sees it as bread and milk and eggs at his supermarkets. His assumption is that French toast is survival food.

jim147
02-24-2021, 06:30 PM
Bread and milk... My brother sees it as bread and milk and eggs at his supermarkets. His assumption is that French toast is survival food.

As long as you have bacon to go with it it is.